Just to report that after a system wipe, a PITA procedure, as I had to install one by one all the apps plus I have to wait few days for the re-activation of the OTA auth apps..., the file manager can access the remote files of the desktop.
    The strange thing is that I could see on the 'paired computers' the older desktop-names like before , eg Desktop-xxxx , this is weird as I removed then from the device and still re-appeared!
    I have the feeling this information is stored online, on the BB account.
    02-20-15 07:45 AM
    There is something definitely blocking the connection to the Internet. Did you try turning off the firewall on your router?

Posted via CB10
    I'll look at that later this weekend, plus the suggestion posted after your post.

Thing is, as I said, the previous Link-without-Blend version - 1.2.3.56 - works and logs in to my BBID just fine.

I've even uninstalled the new Blend/Link and reinstalled the old Link, and again, it connected with no problem.

I've tried direct update to Blend/Link from the old version.

I've tried complete uninstall, registry clean, deep hard drive search for leftover BB/RIM files and folders (and there are a few that still use the old company name).

No difference.

Old Link connects with no problem.

New Blend/Link does not connect, so Blend can't even start up. Link will see the phone when connected via USB, so I can still backup, but that's about it. No wireless connections work, because you have to be logged into your BBID for that to work. I assume that's what is keeping Blend from starting up, too.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 10:40 AM
    It works flawlessly on my Surface Pro 3.
    But with my MacBook Air, it's hit and miss.
    Obviously a problem with OSX.

As good as Passport is in some areas, as much like Beta it often is in other areas.
    Blend = great
    Link = so so...

Posted via CB10
    Actually it's probably because they spent more effort on the Windows version, and the OS X version was an after thought. or just a crappy port.
    02-20-15 11:00 AM
    Built by monkeys!

Posted via CB10
    KR2013 likes this.
    02-20-15 11:19 AM
    yes, my desktop is displayed as 'offline' (after the 'Device' and 'Media card') , even I deleted it from the
    (desktop) Link *and* the Paired computers, stangely the Paired computers section has 3 entries like "Desktop-xxxx"
    I assume they are the connections that I tried to do (installed link to other pc) , but even when I delete these systems from the list ... they re-appear again and again!

It seems I am going to do a wipe now, as I found a solution with the re-installation of the OTA auth apps...
    will report again.
    Are you logged-in in Link with your BBID?
    Can you see the phone listed when you log-in?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 01:27 PM
    well, the sh*t continues...

I have mixed results now, like sometimes I can see from the Desktop the Q5 (files etc) , but the
    device says that the deskop is offline or displays an empty folder..

I don't think its worth wasting time to wee what's wrong, I know already : its the f*cking BB developers.
    02-20-15 02:44 PM
    well, the sh*t continues...

I have mixed results now, like sometimes I can see from the Desktop the Q5 (files etc) , but the
    device says that the deskop is offline or displays an empty folder..

I don't think its worth wasting time to wee what's wrong, I know already : its the f*cking BB developers.
    Except Link works for a lot of people, including me.

My complaint about Link is the menus are confusing.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 05:58 PM
    Bb10 supports caldav. (Look for advanced features where you set up your email on the phone.) I don't do anything Apple. But linux supports caldav, so I'd be shocked if Apple can't.

CalDAV Clients

The claim is iCal can accept caldav. Apple has a way of taking industry standards and screwing them up, but you could just use Google calendar. (Say what you want about Google, they are a company that believes in standards. And trust me, I'm no Google fanboi.)

Edit:
    Caldav is also a cloud service, so you will need to use a google account or set up your own server.

You want to sync when the rest of the world wisely gave up on that and went to the cloud. (Technically the clients do sync to the server, but the server is the master database. I try to avoid cloud services unless I am 100% convinced they are superior, such as IMAP.)

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the suggestions and I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help out.
    Google has been an option that keeps coming up.
    I don't want to use google (for a lot of reasons, privacy being the biggest) or outlook or anything else. These are a work around.
    I just want phones that can be plugged into our network and used. Not something that we have to play with.
    I don't use the cloud for anything, because I don't want to have to rely on the internet to run my business. We've lost our Uverse on several occasions at our office. We do a lot of work in the hills, from Hollywood to Malibu and there many areas (regardless of the "money" there) where there isn't a phone signal.
    And if I'm driving, I just want to click on the Calendar and bring up the information that I need, not have to go through the steps of logging into something else.
    Having to focus on getting into an app while driving can lead to an accident.. And lets be honest, we all use our phones while driving. But with the Q10, I have one button clicks or a press on the touch screen and I'm into what I need.
    The reality is, that BlackBerry Calendar as an application that doesn't retain information beyond 30 days, is flawed. Period.
    I'm complaining because I have some sort of obscure delusion that BlackBerry will listen and fix it and that we can stay with the platform.
    Keeping dates until deleted and syncing contact groups were part of OS7 and are common with Droid and iOS (and I assume Windows phones). These also were common functions with my old Symbian based Sony Ericsson P900 phone.
    These are really the only two issues that are turning the phone into a liability for my business. The rest of them are annoying but I can live with them.
    02-21-15 01:02 AM
    Better using on win 8 otherwise.....
    Blackberry link.. buggy OS or built by idiots?-img_20150220_002200.png

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 01:20 AM
    Thank you for the suggestions and I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help out.
    Google has been an option that keeps coming up.
    I don't want to use google (for a lot of reasons, privacy being the biggest) or outlook or anything else. These are a work around.
    I just want phones that can be plugged into our network and used. Not something that we have to play with.
    I don't use the cloud for anything, because I don't want to have to rely on the internet to run my business. We've lost our Uverse on several occasions at our office. We do a lot of work in the hills, from Hollywood to Malibu and there many areas (regardless of the "money" there) where there isn't a phone signal.
    And if I'm driving, I just want to click on the Calendar and bring up the information that I need, not have to go through the steps of logging into something else.
    Having to focus on getting into an app while driving can lead to an accident.. And lets be honest, we all use our phones while driving. But with the Q10, I have one button clicks or a press on the touch screen and I'm into what I need.
    The reality is, that BlackBerry Calendar as an application that doesn't retain information beyond 30 days, is flawed. Period.
    I'm complaining because I have some sort of obscure delusion that BlackBerry will listen and fix it and that we can stay with the platform.
    Keeping dates until deleted and syncing contact groups were part of OS7 and are common with Droid and iOS (and I assume Windows phones). These also were common functions with my old Symbian based Sony Ericsson P900 phone.
    These are really the only two issues that are turning the phone into a liability for my business. The rest of them are annoying but I can live with them.
    My blackberry retains calendar data far more than 30 days. I have data back to April 2013.

There is no restriction on a computer that it can't run a server and client. (Often you have the client software on the server for test purposes.) So technically you don't need the cloud to sync. But you would need to find a Caldav server for your office Mac, which has been solved.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6311

Your need to install apache2 as well as the Caldav server. (Knowing how Apple does stuff, I would make sure that the installation of Apache doesn't open port 80 on your firewall.)

Assuming you have a web presence, it is likely you have webcalendar available from your hosting company. Most hosting companies have an open source program called the installatron. You simply enable the feature and you have a cloud calendar. I'm not sure it would store you data locally as well.
    http://freecode.com/projects/webcalendar/

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 03:44 AM
    I don't have web presence for the reasons that I listed in my post that you're replying to.
    The Calendar doesn't retain data beyond 30 days and BlackBerry is aware of this issue and according to their support forums, has no plans on resolving it in the near future.
    So I don't know what you're referring to other than some sort of modification that you've come up with.
    That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate, your knowledge of phone systems, what you're telling me and your intention. I do.
    It's just that I don't have time, nor should I have to make time to get my phone and my employees phones to work like other phones on the market; by downloading files and learning where to put them etc. It's like learning how to load a leak, with the radios, etc. I'm not interested in doing something, that for me, seems so arcane as to constantly modify my phone to get it function in way that used be normal for BlackBerry's.

There is a lot that I really like about BlackBerry, esp. the efficiency of the Q10, even though it's only a few (like 10 to 30) seconds quicker, over other phone platforms.
    The typing prediction is second to none. The hub is very useful as is the fact that I can leave apps open in frames while I switch to something else and I've got immediate, one touch speed dialing (which is the main reason why we keep the phones for our company).
    My business revolves around job scheduling, which is very fluid (changing constantly). With the calendar o we can include everything we need in one location of the computer or phone, without having to jump from one app to another to keep track of what's going on.
    To reiterate: If for any reason a client calls a few months later and has a question, we need to be able to retrieve that information from that date in order to have a conversation. Or in the case of an estimate, to provide immediate clarification that could land us the contract. On every other phone but the BlackBerry you can retrieve that info.
    I literally lost a contract because I couldn't look up the info from the estimate because it wasn't on the phone any longer. I had to drive back to my office to get the info and the customer was of the type that they went with another contractor rather than wait for 2 hours for me to get the info.
    Same if I've got a man out in the field and he needs job notes from a specific day in order to plan, and those notes are gone from the Calendar.
    I don't have time to screw around while I'm driving, or count on having an internet connection.
    And then there is the problem with the contact groups. It literally takes hours to rebuild them manually, if for some reason I have to restore the phone from a backup in order to retrieve something that was accidentally deleted.
    We spent hours and hours on each employee's phone building there groups, so that they can look up whatever they need to in the field. Fortunately, OS10 is stable and we haven't had a crash forcing a backup restore with one of them. It's real nightmare to have to do and part of what makes moving to another phone, like the iPhone, so attractive.
    I'm a small business and only employ 6 people, so it's not like we mean anything to BlackBerry, but the phone is an essential tool for my business and it's abilities mean something to us.
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 03-06-15 at 11:12 PM.
    02-21-15 04:14 AM
    yes, I got my lesson now, I disabled the connection on the device, as I am pissed off to see 3-4 desktops 'offline' on the list, now am using the desktop Link just to mount the Q5's internal and SD memory then I only have to sync via unison the files I want from the desktop to the Q5.

What's really annoying is when I delete the paired desktops from the device, they re-appear when the 'allow connections ' is on, that means the option to delete paired devices from the device is useless... probably the bozos at blackberry simply follow the Google's policy (devices and their associated IMEI's are stored on the google play even you don't have anymore the device).
    02-21-15 04:25 AM
    I haven't downloaded Link in a while, but there are/were two versions in the wild. One was a direct download of Link. The other was a Blend download that included Link. The version with Blend is the good one.

You won't catch me singing praises about Link, but it works OK on windows. I think the GUI is poor.

Posted via CB10
    Agree that the version with Blend is the good one for Windows 8.1. Once I figured out that Kaspersky antivirus was the culprit (even when disabled) in my Blend/Link installation problems and uninstalled it before installing the (excuse the pun) blended download, I had no further issues, even after reinstalling Kaspersky.
    02-21-15 10:52 AM
    Agree that the version with Blend is the good one for Windows 8.1. Once I figured out that Kaspersky antivirus was the culprit (even when disabled) in my Blend/Link installation problems and uninstalled it before installing the (excuse the pun) blended download, I had no further issues, even after reinstalling Kaspersky.
    Interesting about the Antivirus issue. I just run the free MS Antivirus, which admittedly isn't as good as Kaspersky or Malware Bytes.

BTW, I only learned of the alternate Link from BlackBerry. Nobody would think that the direct download of Link and the download of Link+Blend would yield different versions of Link. In fact, BlackBerry told me not to install Blend, just Link.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 11:27 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150220_002200.png 
Views:	464 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	335478

Posted via CB10
    Mind that this info is stored on your BBID (online), so far I could not manage to find a way to remove the old paired systems , they re-apper again and again. I am going ask the official forum, I have a feeling i need a 'new' BBID' so this means I am going lose everything I bought from the BBworld ?!
    02-22-15 04:23 AM
    Mind that this info is stored on your BBID (online), so far I could not manage to find a way to remove the old paired systems , they re-apper again and again. I am going ask the official forum, I have a feeling i need a 'new' BBID' so this means I am going lose everything I bought from the BBworld ?!
    This information isn't paired with your BBID. Only the phones pin is registered with ure ID. To remove your pcs you'll have to wipe your phone.
    Also, yes if you change BBID, you'll lose all your purchases.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:28 PM
    This information isn't paired with your BBID. Only the phones pin is registered with ure ID. To remove your pcs you'll have to wipe your phone.
    Also, yes if you change BBID, you'll lose all your purchases.

Posted via CB10

Definitely not, as I wiped my phone and still the paired pcs re-appeared!
    03-02-15 03:50 AM
    Link is crap on OSX. What annoyed me the most was that you can't drag and drop files, it syncs only with iphoto and only 250 items at a time. Took me hours to copy my photos to the device.

Also why aren't Link and Blend in the same suite? It doesn't make sense to have 2 apps for the same device.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:19 AM
    I am also getting frustrated with Link as well. Same issues......

Mine seems to disconnect after 2 min.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:31 AM
    It works flawlessly on my Surface Pro 3.
    But with my MacBook Air, it's hit and miss.
    Obviously a problem with OSX.

Posted via CB10
    No, not a problem with OSX, a problem with the software written by Blackberry for OSX.

Also, Link has always synced with the built in programs on my Mac, as did the old, and better, Desktop Manager. I used a Windows machine with Blackberries before getting a Mac and hated that I had to use Outlook so I didn't sync. Unfortunately Link has gotten worse in many ways over time, while the supposedly fix other problems. It may also be the way they implemented Contacts and Calendar on the phone itself, resulting in duplicates and the linking mess.

The software Blackebery has offered for Mac has always lacked the features available in the Windows Version. It is a shame. I have both installed on my Mac, one installed using XP running Parallels. They are different beasts.

It is good to hear Link works well on the Surface Pro 3, I have been considering one since Apple doesn't offer a full featured tablet able to run full programs like Lightroom. Of course I will probably run a different calendar and use a third party sync solution since Blackberry sees fit to only support Outlook.
    Last edited by PHughes; 03-02-15 at 09:30 AM.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    03-02-15 09:19 AM
    Link is crap on OSX. What annoyed me the most was that you can't drag and drop files, it syncs only with iphoto and only 250 items at a time. Took me hours to copy my photos to the device.

Also why aren't Link and Blend in the same suite? It doesn't make sense to have 2 apps for the same device.

Posted via CB10
    I am using now lftp on the MacOSX and ftp server on the Q5, as I mainly sync (mirror) desktop files
    from the desktop to the Q5, of course the lftp can be used for both ways sync.
    Its way faster than using the Link, I just have to enable the wireless on the Q5, run the file server and start a shell script on the desktop.
    03-03-15 06:30 AM
    I am using now lftp on the MacOSX and ftp server on the Q5, as I mainly sync (mirror) desktop files
    from the desktop to the Q5, of course the lftp can be used for both ways sync.
    Its way faster than using the Link, I just have to enable the wireless on the Q5, run the file server and start a shell script on the desktop.
    Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like you know your way around osx and scripts. I'll probably just buy an SD card for large file transfers and use a cloud service for syncing.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:31 AM
    I know it's not a solution, but hopefully the 10.3.1 update will solve the issue for you.

Posted via CB10
    Now that I have 10.3.1 Link only transfers data from the computer to the phone, but not the phone to the computer.
    And, I've had erase the data on the computer after the sync.
    And despite what' I keep reading, Blend apparently doesn't synchronize the computer and the phone.
    I don't see the "settings" that I'm told allow for this.
    03-06-15 11:06 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like you know your way around osx and scripts. I'll probably just buy an SD card for large file transfers and use a cloud service for syncing.

Posted via CB10
    this is the script I am using, lftp can be installed from macports

(filename: synctomobile.sh)

cd "$(dirname "$0")"
    lftp -u USERNAME, PASSWORD -p PORT 192.168.1.16 << EOF
    set ftp:list-options -a
    set cmd:fail-exit true
    mirror -c -e -R ./folder-on-mac /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard/home --exclude .DS_Store
    mirror -c -e -R ./another-folder-on-mac /accounts/1000/shared/documents --exclude .DS_Store
    .DS_Store

EOF
    cd "$(dirname "$0")" ===> sets the current directory to the script, so you only have to just double click on the script file (must be executable)

/accounts/1000/removable/sdcard/ ==> the external SD card on BB10
    /accounts/1000/shared/ ====> the internal path of Documents etc....

that script just mirrors files from the Mac ----> BB10 one way.
    03-07-15 05:00 PM
    Can one of you Mac users tell me the USB product ID as reported by lsusb when using the phone in tether mode. (Tether mode as opposed to smb/samba mode.)

I'm trying to get tethering to work under linux.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:16 PM
95 1234