I'm curious as to why Blackberry is associated with a "leak" culture? I never hear or read about any leaked iOS, Android, or Windows Phone OS. It's always good 'ole Blackberry OS (and now BB 10). Simply, why is that? Blackberry is (as far as I know) more serious about their operations than they have ever been before. Why don't they look to see where the leaks are coming from and plug the hole? And if they are using the "leaks" as a way of having consumers test their OS, why not just instate a beta program like Apple does?

Also, do you know (or have an idea) of who or where the OS is leaked from?
    07-11-14 04:58 PM
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's a 'Leak' culture but yes BlackBerry is more prominent on the leaked OS scene. I think in part from my perspective it is how the OS's on BlackBerry originate and how they are delivered. Every BlackBerry OS I have come across allows me to install non destructively and destructively, the latter being for leaks whereby I have not come across an Android release you can simply download and install on your phone without first unlocking the bootloader or having to root the device.
    Likewise with iOS any unofficial OS has to have the device as far as I am aware Jail Broken.

BlackBerry does not share the same characteristics as Android or iOS devices with the latter 2 being pushed as 'OTA' updates only and BlackBerry pushing 'OTA Official or Beta if your enrolled on the program' and being made as autoloaders.
    BBOS always made updates available from the carrier selection on the BlackBerry software websites and you simply downloaded them and installed them on to your device.

It's not so much a culture but more ease of getting hold of the software and installing it on the device.
    07-11-14 05:11 PM
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's a 'Leak' culture but yes BlackBerry is more prominent on the leaked OS scene. I think in part from my perspective it is how the OS's on BlackBerry originate and how they are delivered. Every BlackBerry OS I have come across allows me to install non destructively and destructively, the latter being for leaks whereby I have not come across an Android release you can simply download and install on your phone without first unlocking the bootloader or having to root the device.
    Likewise with iOS any unofficial OS has to have the device as far as I am aware Jail Broken.

BlackBerry does not share the same characteristics as Android or iOS devices with the latter 2 being pushed as 'OTA' updates only and BlackBerry pushing 'OTA Official or Beta if your enrolled on the program' and being made as autoloaders.
    BBOS always made updates available from the carrier selection on the BlackBerry software websites and you simply downloaded them and installed them on to your device.

It's not so much a culture but more ease of getting hold of the software and installing it on the device.
    Ok but I am asking why doesn't Blackberry put a stop to it, or instate a beta program like Apple? At the end of the day there is a human somewhere (I would assume inside Blackberry) pushing the files out to the world.
    07-11-14 05:23 PM
    Ok but I am asking why doesn't Blackberry put a stop to it, or instate a beta program like Apple? At the end of the day there is a human somewhere (I would assume inside Blackberry) pushing the files out to the world.
    I think that was his/her point. With android and ios it's not so easy to use that file per se, unless you go through so much additional trouble rooting or jail breaking the device... hence the demand for leaks is minimal and it's almost pointless for the leaker.
    With bb there's a certain ease, meaning there's larger demand and a larger incentive for the leaker to leak

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 05:39 PM
    Well I believe John Chen said he would stop or try to the patch the leaks. I wish him well. As much as I'm looking forward to the PassPort. I could have done without the CrackBerry exclusive where the guy took pictures of it with his iPhone.
    07-11-14 05:44 PM
    Honestly with iOS and Android the code is made available and there are many "leaks" at all. iOS has many betas it releases and and once the code is out there for android in some shape or form the ROM makers will distribute to all. With blackberry you have leaks and dev builds. The thing is you have to have them coming to fix things that might be broken in some and we are always hoping for new features. For android fixing issues and bugs is much easier since we have the code and can be patch on our own. We kinda live and die by them on BB since we dont have access to fixes and such really
    LastSnake likes this.
    07-11-14 06:44 PM
    It was a cool thing that happened without fanfare or national attention to appease a rabid fan base that appreciated what they were getting and kept it on the down low. It was officially unofficially ignored because at the time it didn't cause any issues. Most knew what they were getting and what to do with it and asked for help only when they actually read through things and tried them first.

Slowly things changed to (what has been mentioned before) an entitled, unappreciative crowd that ate the source of the fun alive and then spit on their grave afterwards. And then demanded better from the next source.

Quite simply put, the melee of rudeness, demanding and offensive behavior fueled a fire that eventually ruined the opportunity for those that were just happy anything came along, and were excited to try it and help push the brand and excitement to their friends.

Once word spread that things were getting out of hand and too many important upcoming developments were having too much light shined on them, the lid was clamped. (my opinion, not necessarily a fact)

If you were a company struggling to survive, and had to live on a shoestring budget, and saw the cluster * that started here, would you develop a beta program open to the public at-large?

Or would you restrict that program to proven corporate customers that were vetted and had signed NDA's?

I would go with the latter.

TLDR; it's not an official culture, it was just a cool benefit that happened for those that were appreciative, positive, and discreet.

Those days are clearly over.

I know these words are inflammatory and I will receive grief over it, but it is my opinion based on experience and observations and I shared it in good faith

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 08:45 PM
    It was a cool thing that happened without fanfare or national attention to appease a rabid fan base that appreciated what they were getting and kept it on the down low. It was officially unofficially ignored because at the time it didn't cause any issues. Most knew what they were getting and what to do with it and asked for help only when they actually read through things and tried them first.

Slowly things changed to (what has been mentioned before) an entitled, unappreciative crowd that ate the source of the fun alive and then spit on their grave afterwards. And then demanded better from the next source.

Quite simply put, the melee of rudeness, demanding and offensive behavior fueled a fire that eventually ruined the opportunity for those that were just happy anything came along, and were excited to try it and help push the brand and excitement to their friends.

Once word spread that things were getting out of hand and too many important upcoming developments were having too much light shined on them, the lid was clamped. (my opinion, not necessarily a fact)

If you were a company struggling to survive, and had to live on a shoestring budget, and saw the cluster * that started here, would you develop a beta program open to the public at-large?

Or would you restrict that program to proven corporate customers that were vetted and had signed NDA's?

I would go with the latter.

TLDR; it's not an official culture, it was just a cool benefit that happened for those that were appreciative, positive, and discreet.

Those days are clearly over.

I know these words are inflammatory and I will receive grief over it, but it is my opinion based on experience and observations and I shared it in good faith

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    People would leak, find out something was broken then say "typically BlackBerry piece of socks ****"

Something I've witnessed here even though I've only owned a z10 before

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 08:57 PM
    The current state of the BB Leak Culture.
    Blackberry and The "Leak" Culture-images-2-.jpg
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-11-14 09:09 PM
    I guess it's because you can't say that you offer the most secure multi platform device management service if you have leaks... it has to be consistent with the message internally and outside, otherwise it would be a blackberry fact fail
    07-11-14 09:21 PM
    Fair point, and that shall now be consistent.

Although to be fair, calling device OS leaks a breach of the platforms' overall security is like saying a safe isn't secure because word got out that the manufacturer was designing a new company logo for the front door.

It's still a ~very~ secure front door.

Who cares if "they're gonna build super safe 2.0" leaks out, as long as the safe itself isn't compromised?

I'm talking more about IP. If a competitor hears about my logo design, he might put that sticker on the safe door before I do.

That's doesn't mean his safe is more secure than mine.

It just means he beat me to the market and drew more buzz before me.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-11-14 10:45 PM
    I never hear or read about any leaked iOS, Android, or Windows Phone OS.
    Samfirmware is full of leaked Samsung firmwares. Majority of stuff is official, regional firmwares, but there is also a lot of unofficial leaked ROMs. IOS and MSFT opened beta ROMs for registered developers.
    07-13-14 04:01 PM
    If we could get back to being discreet as a group that would be awesome. The problem is that BlackBerry people read these forums too and we here seem to have some people who are ignorant and speak before they think. Some are ignorant and need to check themselves. If those who caused the problem would man-up and apologize publicly... maybe just maybe we could get back to the shhhh..l e a k s......

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    07-13-14 06:58 PM
    I understand what you are all saying. But again, where do you think the leaks originate? A specific department within Blackbery where an employee is doing some "under the table" moving of the hands?

And I do believe the word leak does have some negative connotation. I think Blackberry should either stop the leaks all together or start a OS beta program and officially push out betas of new OS to users for testing.
    07-15-14 08:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 08:33 AM
    Well ios, wp8 and android you can mod, so to me if I were on those OS' I would be doing that. And wouldn't care about leaks.

That to me feels like a leak. Which is why I like leaks on BlackBerry and those other phones they mod instead.

Iphone they jailbreak
    Wp8 they hack
    Android they rom
    Blackberry the only thing we can do is leak

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-15-14 08:52 AM
    Well ios, wp8 and android you can mod, so to me if I were on those OS' I would be doing that. And wouldn't care about leaks.

That to me feels like a leak. Which is why I like leaks on BlackBerry and those other phones they mod instead.

Iphone they jailbreak
    Wp8 they hack
    Android they rom
    Blackberry the only thing we can do is leak

Posted via CB10
    For example Once you jailbreak, your phone isn't really under warranty anymore. With BlackBerry you do nothing to your phone

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 11:30 AM
    For example Once you jailbreak, your phone isn't really under warranty anymore. With BlackBerry you do nothing to your phone

Posted via CB10
    That's not the point I'm trying to get across but yes you can say that too...
    07-15-14 04:12 PM
    That's not the point I'm trying to get across but yes you can say that too...
    I'm just presenting a reason people wouldn't mod

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    07-15-14 04:58 PM
    I'm just presenting a reason people wouldn't mod

Posted via CB10
    people like to tinker with their phones no matter what.
    Last edited by khehl; 07-15-14 at 11:31 PM.
    07-15-14 10:43 PM
    people like to tinker with their phones no matter what.
    For some people, tinker means changing wallpaper, ring tones and case. Of all my friends and I'm 19, I could probably think of 2 people that truly genuinely know enough about technology... it's even easy to see. those 2 are the only ones without iPhones lol. Actually they both have one but never use it as daily driver. Both use Linux and android if you get my drift.

The other of my friends know enough about the best iPhone accessories lol

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 12:35 AM
    The fact is BlackBerry is an old smartphone provider and as, windows OS or Nokia, applications used to be hack by geeks customers. Where apple win the app war is because of the lake of geekness of their customers and there ability to pay for apps. Developper for the first time, had an OS without simple way to hack application because of the centralization of app only in appstore and the lock OS.
    I speak about this because this show that apple changed the rules of smartphone market, we like it or not, and leaked OS is non compatible with great success of an OS. If we let BlackBerry contr�le more the communication upon There OS will let them concentrate communication and marketing in a more effective way. But what we have are nerds/geeks who in end don't care about BlackBerry. They just want something new.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 02:19 AM