It might seem like a small point, but after watching the new preview/demo videos from BB Jam Americas, it seems like the BlackBerry Hub experience in BB10 is now a "right-handers" only sort of flow. Unless the Hub can be customized to pull out from either side, I don't expect that opening the messaging app will be as intuitive or comfortable for those of us trying to "push" it open with our left hands.

As CrackBerry Kevin said himself, he likes the change because it now seems like you can just push the other apps out of the way to uncover the BB Hub instead of pulling it on-screen. This seems like its only true if you use your phone with your right hand...

Comments?
    Anyone have any knowledge or opinions about this?

-BB Bryan
    Last edited by bstrelow; 09-26-12 at 05:03 PM.
    09-26-12 05:00 PM
    Think it used to be from the other side - as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure in one of the videos, one of the RIMers mentioned that it was changed from the demo we saw at BB World.

Was wondering the same thing - maybe it will be an option? Maybe it will work better than we thing in the left hand? I'm excited either way.

Bigger question for me is how this translates to the keyboard version? Wondering if I'm gonna eat my words and like the all touch INSTEAD of the full keyboard version?
    09-26-12 05:15 PM
    It might seem like a small point, but after watching the new preview/demo videos from BB Jam Americas, it seems like the BlackBerry Hub experience in BB10 is now a "right-handers" only sort of flow. Unless the Hub can be customized to pull out from either side, I don't expect that opening the messaging app will be as intuitive or comfortable for those of us trying to "push" it open with our left hands.

As CrackBerry Kevin said himself, he likes the change because it now seems like you can just push the other apps out of the way to uncover the BB Hub instead of pulling it on-screen. This seems like its only true if you use your phone with your right hand...

Comments?
    Anyone have any knowledge or opinions about this?

-BB Bryan
    As a left-handed person, this concerns me too....I'm loving what I've seen of BB10 so far that I might be willing to become right-handed just so I can use this phone!

I don't think it will be that big an issue...u can swipe directly up from the bottom left of the screen and then your thumb doesn't have to carry as far out to the right to go into the hub.
    09-26-12 06:36 PM
    This was asked at BB10 Jam Vancouver during the Cascades session, and the RIM dev said he doesn't think so (at least for BB10 launch next year) but would look into it.
    09-26-12 11:27 PM
    I am also left handed but this is not a concern for me.
    I do not think that it will make a difference either way to be honest.
    Just take your current phone and do the gesture. I tried it on my Torch 9810 and it didn't feel weird or anything.
    I am excited for BB10!!!
    09-27-12 11:50 AM
    Note that there are other ways to open the hub as well. One is to minimize the app, which brings you to the home screen, and then simply tap on the little icon just above the action bar, the left-most one, which jumps you to the hub without any more swiping involved.
    09-28-12 10:24 PM
    To me it looks like its set up for left handed people anyway. you peak from left to right. For a right handed person that means your thumb has to cross the whole screen to pull from left to right.
    09-30-12 12:37 AM
    I spent some time yesterday playing with the Dev Alpha and exploring various capabilities including typing, peeking, the home screen and icon tabs, etc.

I used my left hand for all of this.

As near as I can tell, as a right-handed person, there's not really any discernable disadvantage in being left-handed... some gestures involve "pulling" your thumb, while others involve "pushing" it across the screen. Whether you're right- or left-handed, you'll end up doing both, and if you've tried both you may agree with me that neither one is particularly difficult compared to the other.
    mithrazor likes this.
    09-30-12 01:11 PM
    At one of the sessions this question was asked and the answer was that there isn't plans to do so as of now.
    10-02-12 12:37 AM
    If your only using your thumb why would it matter what hand you use? I don't think its built for one hand or the other. As long as you can move your thumb from right to left and left to right you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry by choice using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR and TheScionicMan like this.
    10-02-12 12:50 AM
    If your only using your thumb why would it matter what hand you use? I don't think its built for one hand or the other. As long as you can move your thumb from right to left and left to right you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry by choice using Tapatalk
    To open the hub, swipe from bottom then to the right (whatever is open or on start screen). I've been testing with either thumb and this looks no issue to me. But maybe I didn't get the whole thing ?
    meganVee likes this.
    10-02-12 01:57 AM
    It doesn't seem much different than swiping from screen to screen in OS7. Do lefties consider that to be right-hand oriented?
    meganVee likes this.
    10-02-12 02:07 AM
    I'm used to holding my phone in my left hand (then using my right hand for navigation). So far, I have found that I can do everything using just my left hand (and I'm right-handed).
    10-02-12 01:23 PM
    yeah i don't think the hub being on the left side will be an issue for lefties.

i'm right handed and i think i could have used the hub easily with one hand if it was located on the right side of the screen as previously shown in May
    10-03-12 06:55 AM
    Am I not right in saying that instead of doing the L gesture you can simply swipe up and then swipe to the right?
    10-05-12 02:53 AM
    It shouldn't matter at this point, since we'll just get used to whatever orientation is present at launch.
    10-05-12 02:37 PM
    tharrison4815, you're correct... swipe part way up, then move right, and that's exactly what works.
    10-05-12 06:31 PM
    I am right handed, but I hold my phone in my left hand, lol. It won't matter to me.
    10-17-12 02:18 AM
    Options are good and they had it lefty friendly before. Please have both, RIM!
    10-17-12 03:06 AM
    It's not that big of an issue. It's just a gesture. It could have easily been on the left side. It doesn't change a thing except now the gesture is to the left instead of right.

There aren't any downfalls to use that gesture as a left hander.
    10-17-12 01:21 PM
    Well, let me ask you if your BlackBerry GREEN button is or the right side, and the RED button is on the left side, and the VOLUME buttons are on the left side?
    And the charger port, is on your RIGHT side?
    10-18-12 11:20 AM
    I am right handed, but I hold my phone in my left hand, lol. It won't matter to me.
    I thought I was the only one that did this. Glad to see I'm not alone.

While I think the gesture itself will be easy enough either way, I think your thumb might be in the way of the hub when quickly peeking at the hub. I hope they have a setting to allow use in either hand, but I think it won't be a big deal if they don't.
    10-22-12 12:51 PM
    Localisation effort shall push supporting this, disregarding being left handed or right handed. The thing is I have hard time getting the gesture right on my dev alpha when using the left hand so that I often have to switch to the right hand (I'm amb, and stretching outwards the thumb seems a bit less easier the inwards.
    11-28-12 03:54 AM
    I am left handed and this don't concern me since i use a right hand mouse perfectly fine.
    It could be a neat customization add on for people that want it from the right hand side.
    12-06-12 05:56 PM
    I'm left handed and I think I can handle it. I will just think of pushing an app cascade off to the right rather than pull it off to the right.
    12-06-12 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD