Check out this nice information packets concerning Blackberry Security on their website. Nice to see they are finally getting the word out on what they do best.. Seems pretty convincing to me..
    Lots of content for the naysayers..

Mobile Security - Explore Mobile Device Security - BlackBerry - Canada

http://images.biz.blackberry.com/Web...rity_Works.pdf

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...2_Gold_EMM.pdf
    Unfortunately for BlackBerry the consumer base doesn't give a hoot about this at all and never will. I would be willing to bet that less than 50% of the average handset consumer has even heard about this and less than a quarter would care or think it would be an issue for them anyways . There has been significant identity theft issue for years if not decades but the id protection industry is still a relatively niche market. The public for the most part just doesn't care about privacy issues at all until someone either shows up at their house and physically takes it from them or they are a victim of id theft and are forced to take significant steps to fix the damage. BlackBerry just needs to build a better Android or IOS phone and ecosystem. They aren't any where close to this right now.
    09-04-14 11:42 AM
    Search, share, & save 1000s of #CONAN mono jokes & @ConanOBrien tweets @ https://t.co/RCuzs7y1fq https://t.co/QRHVoFoGZM

This is a good one

Z10
    09-04-14 11:57 AM
    then pls tell me how i can access the files of my workstation from my laptop using blackberry link ONLY and how i can automatically sync pictures and other content to linked devices. im serious, if thats all possible then ill be using my blackberry as my cloud, i have more than 10gb of free space on the device and its always connected to either wifi or high speed 4g and always with me. if it all syncs automatically even from my workstation and laptop then you can bring it up as an alternative to onedrive icloud etc, otherwise its not.
    Simply install link on your workstation and pair your bb10 phone with it. The folders you setup in link (including mounted network drives) will be available to your device on mobile or wifi do long as your workstation is on and on-line.

The workstation will appear as an option in your file browser and file picker on your BlackBerry. Anything saved, edited, deleted from the phone happens on the workstation. Photos, videos or other documents will not find their way there automatically but selecting it is trivial and good for your data plan.

As for sync with other devices any other BlackBerry managed by link on that workstation can also access the files and your blackberry can be the bridge between multiple workstations. And of course any other workstations on the network that have access to the share. So not a complete multi-device cloud solution but a pretty impressive one that keeps your data yours and safe.

Definitely a viable solution for accessing data on your workstation and laptop from your phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:55 PM
    then pls tell me how i can access the files of my workstation from my laptop using blackberry link ONLY and how i can automatically sync pictures and other content to linked devices. im serious, if thats all possible then ill be using my blackberry as my cloud, i have more than 10gb of free space on the device and its always connected to either wifi or high speed 4g and always with me. if it all syncs automatically even from my workstation and laptop then you can bring it up as an alternative to onedrive icloud etc, otherwise its not.
    ...I'm not sure about 'syncing'...as I don't want that between my 'work' and 'home' servers...but to transfer data (again it's not as simple as a cloud service, but I will gladly make that sacrifice), you upload whatever files that you wish to transfer to the phone, then send them to the other computer...now you do get a bit of sync features as to when you open a file from server 'A' to the BlackBerry and change something, be it an Excel spreadsheet, when you finish and close the file it will ask you if you want to save the changes and doing so will apply those changes to server 'A'. You also have the option to upload the file then make changes...then the changes are made to where you uploaded the file to...say your SD card. I'll use this option when making temporary changes to say a quote in a hurry...then I'll rename the modified file and send it manually back to said server to the same folder. I recently had gone on a business trip and lo and behold the cable was out the first night at the hotel...so I plugged my Z30 into the HDMI of the TV, pulled up my personal server, picked out one of my movies (then later a bunch of old music videos) and streamed it from home. Like I said before you can run whatever remote desktop app you like (I like Splashtop as a free app and Citric Receiver as a paid, but there a bunch of good ones) to control the servers from my BlackBerry...this also another way to move files from server to server(s) via linked HDD...although RD is a little harder on a small phone screen...I really only use it if I think that I need to remotely shut down a server or even reboot it if it will let me... (server problem of some kind?).

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:56 PM
    ...oh, you have to use the same BBID on each machine running BlackBerry Link so that you can access multiple machines from one phone...has to be the ID attached to said BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:57 PM
    The trial cloud service my company is trying out is a BES10 service. It is very user friendly and a good option for smaller (IMO) companies. When the trial is over or before my company plans to use it.
    ...I am also playing with this alongside my BlackBerry Link...seems pretty easy to use, and I heard somewhere (don't hold me to it) that the subscription per device afterwards is fairly low that if you wanted to run this from home (like I probably will end up doing) to keep other iPhones tightened up for example...it would be a fairly inexpensive thing to do...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 01:02 PM
    ...oh, you have to use the same BBID on each machine running BlackBerry Link so that you can access multiple machines from one phone...has to be the ID attached to said BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    I'd be interested to test this. Link does allow you to manage multiple devices with different id's and does let you pick which devices to share with...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 01:28 PM
    Unfortunately for BlackBerry the consumer base doesn't give a hoot about this at all and never will. I would be willing to bet that less than 50% of the average handset consumer has even heard about this and less than a quarter would care or think it would be an issue for them anyways . There has been significant identity theft issue for years if not decades but the id protection industry is still a relatively niche market. The public for the most part just doesn't care about privacy issues at all until someone either shows up at their house and physically takes it from them or they are a victim of id theft and are forced to take significant steps to fix the damage. BlackBerry just needs to build a better Android or IOS phone and ecosystem. They aren't any where close to this right now.
    You're right- until issues like this are taken with a bit more public focus companies like apple will continue to provide a solution that lacks the robust security measures the likes of blackberry pride themselves on.

I can only imagine the outcry had this flaw come to light via the exposure of an illicit pedo ring accessing random under age selfies through the same flaw.

Which when you think about it, theres no way this can't already have been happening.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:59 PM
    You're right- until issues like this are taken with a bit more public focus companies like apple will continue to provide a solution that lacks the robust security measures the likes of blackberry pride themselves on.

I can only imagine the outcry had this flaw come to light via the exposure of an illicit pedo ring accessing random under age selfies through the same flaw.

Which when you think about it, theres no way this can't already have been happening.

Posted via CB10
    Although it is not necessarily representative, a Cosmopolitan survey came out today saying that 64.2% have posed nude with another 24% also doing so but were not recognizable. 72% of those who posed nude had no regrets, with 56% saying that they would do it again and 26% saying that they would do so if they were not recognizable. For this survey group security is not all that important.
    09-04-14 04:16 PM
    Part of the issue of why Cloud servers even exist for mobile devices is due to the device storage limitations...I'm looking in your direction iPhone.

I can not imagine requiring more than 60 GB of synced media (pictures and videos) available on my phone, add in a simple ability to encrypt said media sums up my solution. It is also immediately available...regardless of connection or mobile contract.

Need more access to the overflow of the rest your less active media/files then link is always available for media retrieval when needed.

What am I missing?
    09-04-14 04:35 PM
    Part of the issue of why Cloud servers even exist for mobile devices is due to the device storage limitations...I'm looking in your direction iPhone.

I can not imagine requiring more than 60 GB of synced media (pictures and videos) available on my phone, add in a simple ability to encrypt said media sums up my solution. It is also immediately available...regardless of connection or mobile contract.

Need more access to the overflow of the rest your less active media/files then link is always available for media retrieval when needed.

What am I missing?
    ...a 128GB SD card...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:39 PM
    ...a 128GB SD card...

Posted via CB10
    ..what am I made of money???

Yea...point made. I forget that I am always behind the curve...not when I get my passport on launch day though. Maybe then I will spring for that 128 monster.
    09-04-14 05:18 PM
    Anyone saying link is a viable solution... writing physical letters is one too yet I would rather use email. You try to justify what you think is true by telling me if you make ****load of compromises it will be something like what I want. Accessing files through a samba share is not an option for me... if all you do is messing with excel files then fine but as a coder it's not something viable for me. Having a local copy is a must for me, because there are ****load stuff a cifs (samba share filesystem) won't support ever, for example symbolic links, also the speed is quite terrible as well.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    09-04-14 05:53 PM
    ..what am I made of money???

Yea...point made. I forget that I am always behind the curve...not when I get my passport on launch day though. Maybe then I will spring for that 128 monster.
    ...lol, it's all good...I'm still dragging my feet to replace my old Class 6 32GB Card from my old Torch...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 10:55 PM
    This together with the Blackberry Passport would sell with some good marketing! Let's hope Blackberry just comes back, too many people missing out!
    09-04-14 10:59 PM
    Anyone saying link is a viable solution... writing physical letters is one too yet I would rather use email. You try to justify what you think is true by telling me if you make ****load of compromises it will be something like what I want. Accessing files through a samba share is not an option for me... if all you do is messing with excel files then fine but as a coder it's not something viable for me. Having a local copy is a must for me, because there are ****load stuff a cifs (samba share filesystem) won't support ever, for example symbolic links, also the speed is quite terrible as well.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    ...as I stated earlier...if you want local files...you can pull them from whatever server...save them to your device...send them back when you're done...whatever your want to do...any type of file etc...just as you would any other cloud service...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 11:05 PM
    No security flaw, the iClouds were hacked via bruteforce, which can happen to anyone and anything. Even BB. JS.

Those celebs had **** passwords, that's all.

Either that or some kind of leak or dump from other site that they were registered on was used as test lists and use those against iCloud. iCloud was just a victim of it all.

That being said, stupid uneducated people will not care and just say apple sux at sekuritee so BlackBerry should really take this as a chance to make a two step authentication in their login systems, which I hopefully assume that they do so with their Enterprise services.
    09-04-14 11:11 PM
    No security flaw, the iClouds were hacked via bruteforce, which can happen to anyone and anything. Even BB. JS.

Those celebs had **** passwords, that's all.

Either that or some kind of leak or dump from other site that they were registered on was used as test lists and use those against iCloud. iCloud was just a victim of it all.

That being said, stupid uneducated people will not care and just say apple sux at sekuritee so BlackBerry should really take this as a chance to make a two step authentication in their login systems, which I hopefully assume that they do so with their Enterprise services.
    No... brute force cannot happen with limited attempts and/or captcha added to the system.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-04-14 11:32 PM
    No... brute force cannot happen with limited attempts and/or captcha added to the system.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Yawn, add some proxies and use deathbycaptcha.
    09-05-14 12:11 AM
    I run a network at home with multiple servers and desktops and a higher end cable Internet connection and it is pretty easy to have complete access to everything through one pc with mapped drives, a common and safe way to network and using Link. I have a good reliable Internet connection and pretty much unlimited storage. I find the concept of shared storage over the Internet useful but find it idiotic that calling servers, data centers and shared storage "the cloud" and that it is somehow more special losing control and detail to the fog of trusting strangers over my own stuff? My cloud is better because I know who is in charge and have absolute trust in myself. I use dropbox, etc, to share with others who I don't trust in my own network. Again, to each his own, but "the cloud" is nothing new and it is not special.

Z30 Rocks!
    HabsFan9860 likes this.
    09-05-14 01:05 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    I always thought the obvious way to deter a brute force attack was to exponentially increase the response time of the server to the request after each failed attempt.

Limited attempts- can't that quite easily be abused to deny service to actual end users?

Posted via CB10
    Djlatino likes this.
    09-05-14 01:54 AM
    The only way to stop brute force attacks is with two or more step authentication that is tripped when some weird IP logs in. Facebook implemented this with both their main service and IG, along with MS with anything linked to Outlook.com

Prevention/=/Stopping
    09-05-14 02:56 AM
    The methods described here with Link will be interesting to a geek but not a consumer including the celebrities we are talking about. Any consumer who has a little of security needs will always want a easy way of setup.

I can see Dropbox and Google benefiting out of this chaos. Google with its dominance services on iOS platform, don't be surprised if they come up with a twist of GDrive with better authentication, better encryption plugging in to maximum possible services (photos, docs, app data) from iPhone.

And Ya. People listen to Google not BlackBerry. That is a fact.
    09-05-14 04:18 AM
    I always thought the obvious way to deter a brute force attack was to exponentially increase the response time of the server to the request after each failed attempt.

Limited attempts- can't that quite easily be abused to deny service to actual end users?

Posted via CB10
    We have 10 attempts to unlock our BlackBerry devices... how is this any different.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-05-14 08:40 AM
    No worries. Apple is fixing whatever is broken: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...904-story.html

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1154
    09-05-14 08:52 AM
60 123