Canada AM: Did BB hand over the 'skeleton key'? | CTV Kitchener News

This is the nail in the coffin to me. One of the biggest reason I've stayed with BlackBerry and im sure it is for a lot of people.
    No reason to stay with them after I'm finished with my current device. Which is a passport that seems to be having more and more issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 05:08 PM
    04-15-16 05:10 PM
    Mod please close thread

BlackBerry Passport Sliver Edition
    04-15-16 06:08 PM
    Why should this be closed? This is a huge story!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    04-15-16 07:24 PM
    It is kind of an important story. They claim to be secure and private which is why lots of people buy them. I always had my suspicions why bbm has a single key for all unless you have Protected, but then hide Protected and make it hard for anybody to know about it.

But also maybe it's blown out of proportion and they will explain themselves. If not then I'll just stop using BBM for signal or something

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    04-15-16 07:52 PM
    And all the Little Reds here say, "Grandma, what big eyes you have."

BlackBerry gave RCMP the key to encryption?-chen-red.jpg
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-15-16 08:01 PM
    The security is the only thing they got going for them. Well had going for them. I would like more information on this situation. But they should have held onto security as it is the last reason to buy a blackberry beside a physical keyboard. Or even use there software for security. But apparently those days are over.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 08:28 PM
    This guy is absolutely wrong. PIN-PIN messages were never claimed to be very secure and it was always widely known that a single key could decrypt them. It's why the Canadian government told it's people to not use PIN-PIN messages many years ago.

I'd bet that less than 2% of all BlackBerry users use PIN-PIN. BBM Is not the same as PIN-PIN.

Ling claims BlackBerry touted PIN-PIN as secure. Not true. A simple Web search has plenty of hits about this. I just found one saying they are not secure dating back to July 2004.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    04-15-16 09:17 PM
    I do not understand why you guys make such a big deal out of the police having access to BlackBerry 10 phones.

If the police has a warrant on you, they can go through your entire house, car, and any of your belongings, so what is any different about your phone? Are you also against the police doing detective work with a warrant? The key part being "WITH A WARRANT".

If the cops got a warrant on me, I would be happy to cooperate including giving my phone to clear up any misunderstandings.

You are not as important as you think. If you have not done anything wrong, then the cops are not going to waste any time on you going through the messages.

If you want to talk security, BlackBerry 10 is still the most secure mobile OS against malwares and viruses. Those are the people I do not want to give my information to.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-15-16 11:21 PM
    I do not understand why you guys make such a big deal out of the police having access to BlackBerry 10 phones.

If the police has a warrant on you, they can go through your entire house, car, and any of your belongings, so what is any different about your phone? Are you also against the police doing detective work with a warrant? The key part being "WITH A WARRANT".

If the cops got a warrant on me, I would be happy to cooperate including giving my phone to clear up any misunderstandings.

You are not as important as you think. If you have not done anything wrong, then the cops are not going to waste any time on you going through the messages.

If you want to talk security, BlackBerry 10 is still the most secure mobile OS against malwares and viruses. Those are the people I do not want to give my information to.

Posted via CB10
    Not the point. There's 2 reasons this is a problem, and that is there has to be be legislation in place to inform end users of requests, whether they have anything to hide or not. That's the privacy aspect. Then there's the real problem, which is that if they've had this software key laying around, at some point someone we really don't want having access to it would get their hands on it and start looking at anyone not using a BES.

And to those who continue to espouse the "nothing to hide" tagline: unless you're the type of person that showers with the door open and walks in front of open windows no matter the time of day, please put a sock in it, because if you're closing blinds at any point then you DO have something to hide. And it's the same philosophy on your devices.
    RA-HA likes this.
    04-15-16 11:38 PM
    Not the point. There's 2 reasons this is a problem, and that is there has to be be legislation in place to inform end users of requests, whether they have anything to hide or not. That's the privacy aspect. Then there's the real problem, which is that if they've had this software key laying around, at some point someone we really don't want having access to it would get their hands on it and start looking at anyone not using a BES.

And to those who continue to espouse the "nothing to hide" tagline: unless you're the type of person that showers with the door open and walks in front of open windows no matter the time of day, please put a sock in it, because if you're closing blinds at any point then you DO have something to hide. And it's the same philosophy on your devices.
    They do not just have the software key "laying around". They specifically gave it to the police which is not some shady drug dealer. If BlackBerry leaked the software key to the public then it is an issue. But we have not heard that.

I agree that I do have things to hide, which is why I want the police to stay away from me if they don't have a warrant. This is why I capitalized "with a warrant" in my last post.

There definitely has to be a legislation in place that the user needs to be notified before the phone is accessed though, just like they would ask me first before searching my house (if they have a warrant). But this is outside of BlackBerry's control.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 11:53 PM
    They do not just have the software key "laying around". They specifically gave it to the police which is not some shady drug dealer. If BlackBerry leaked the software key to the public then it is an issue. But we have not heard that.
    A six-year-old key is "laying around" as far as I'm concerned. A key that's had six years to escape the RCMP's control, whether by human error or underhanded dealings.

I agree that I do have things to hide, which is why I want the police to stay away from me if they don't have a warrant. This is why I capitalized "with a warrant" in my last post.

There definitely has to be a legislation in place that the user needs to be notified before the phone is accessed though, just like they would ask me first before searching my house (if they have a warrant). But this is outside of BlackBerry's control.

Posted via CB10
    And that's what everyone should be worried about: outside of BlackBerry's control. People can claim they have nothing to hide all they want, but the problem isn't so cut and dried - it's been shown time and time again for several millennia that what one person considers "fine, okay, no problem" is the end of the world to someone else. I've got a friend who thinks it's perfectly fine to leave dishes in the sink overnight, his wife thinks it's absolutely disgusting.
    RA-HA likes this.
    04-16-16 12:29 AM
    Mod please close thread

BlackBerry Passport Sliver Edition
    Funny how people still choose censorship as a preferred option.
    04-16-16 12:44 AM
    04-16-16 12:48 AM