The way BlackBerry became BlackBerry was as separate from your mobile phone. Yes, I know that was close to two decades ago. But BlackBerry, for a time was more like a PDA than a cell phone. People carried both a BlackBerry AND a cell phone.

So I'm curious if any of you use or would use your BB10 or earlier device as more of a PDA that has communication potential, and being fine with what it could be today instead of frustrated that it's not a full fledged smartphone? In other words, dual carry a BlackBerry and be happy using it for emails, note taking, music, and the occasional communication and social media update, but also primarily relying on your smartphone for current apps, games and media. And simply let a BlackBerry be a smartphone companion instead of a smartphone. That's sort of how I use my Passport. I dual carry it along with an Android smartphone and both serve different purposes.

Does that seem pointless with tablets being our new smartphone companions? Perhaps there's life with these wonderful BB10 devices that we would only see if we think outside the box? I'm basically trying to bring you along with my dilemma to never ever let my Passport out of my grip

Thoughts? Thanks for humoring me...

Posted via CB10
    mundo472 and Suzeranne like this.
    11-26-19 07:17 PM
    The way BlackBerry became BlackBerry was as separate from your mobile phone. Yes, I know that was close to two decades ago. But BlackBerry, for a time was more like a PDA than a cell phone. People carried both a BlackBerry AND a cell phone.

So I'm curious if any of you use or would use your BB10 or earlier device as more of a PDA that has communication potential, and being fine with what it could be today instead of frustrated that it's not a full fledged smartphone? In other words, dual carry a BlackBerry and be happy using it for emails, note taking, music, and the occasional communication and social media update, but also primarily relying on your smartphone for current apps, games and media. And simply let a BlackBerry be a smartphone companion instead of a smartphone. That's sort of how I use my Passport. I dual carry it along with an Android smartphone and both serve different purposes.

Does that seem pointless with tablets being our new smartphone companions? Perhaps there's life with these wonderful BB10 devices that we would only see if we think outside the box? I'm basically trying to bring you along with my dilemma to never ever let my Passport out of my grip

Posted via CB10
    I'd use it for podcasts and readings books on Kindle plus reminders with Corky Notes, but that's it.
    11-26-19 07:43 PM
    People have been dual carrying for years
    11-26-19 07:45 PM
    People have been dual carrying for years
    Right, but as a cell phone or a PDA? My inquiry is purely using your BB10 device as a PDA and being content with that, no Sim card needed. Using it for notes, drafting long emails, music, and tasks like reminders, etc...

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 08:11 PM
    Right, but as a cell phone or a PDA? My inquiry is purely using your BB10 device as a PDA and being content with that, no Sim card needed. Using it for notes, drafting long emails, music, and tasks like reminders, etc...

Posted via CB10
    I used to carry BB10 hardware WiFi only and I still carry BBAndroid hardware WiFi only. I’m not sure the benefit to most but I don’t mind the PDA qualities alone. Really, I could go either way.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    11-26-19 08:18 PM
    I used to carry BB10 hardware WiFi only and I still carry BBAndroid hardware WiFi only. I’m not sure the benefit to most but I don’t mind the PDA qualities alone. Really, I could go either way.
    I'm with ya!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 08:21 PM
    But why? Unless you believe BB10's PDA abilities are absolutely the best. The other phones will also get the job done.

(I do think they are the best, but then I am also content using it as my one and only device).

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 08:21 PM
    But why? Unless you believe BB10's PDA abilities are absolutely the best. The other phones will also get the job done.

(I do think they are the best, but then I am also content using it as my one and only device).

Posted via CB10
    I do think the BB10 system is THAT good, but primarily it's the keyboard (and large wide screen of the Passport). But I struggle immensely typing long things on a virtual keyboard. I need the physical feedback. So for no other reason than writing emails and notes, I need the physical keyboard. And the old BlackBerry before they were BlackBerry Mobile just has the best keyboards on any device out there. My two cents...

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 08:25 PM
    So I'm curious if any of you use or would use your BB10 or earlier device as more of a PDA that has communication potential, and being fine with what it could be today instead of frustrated that it's not a full fledged smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what I do with my Bold 9900. It's probably the best PDA I've ever owned. The additional capabilities (phone, podcasts, music, borky browser, potato cam) are all just gravy. I don't dual carry.

Unless you count books.
    ratfinkstooley and WES51 like this.
    11-26-19 09:28 PM
    I do think the BB10 system is THAT good, but primarily it's the keyboard (and large wide screen of the Passport). But I struggle immensely typing long things on a virtual keyboard. I need the physical feedback. So for no other reason than writing emails and notes, I need the physical keyboard. And the old BlackBerry before they were BlackBerry Mobile just has the best keyboards on any device out there. My two cents...

Posted via CB10
    Well, generally these days if you want a physical keyboard smartphone, you're either gonna dual carry a Classic/Passport with something more modern that has access to apps and better browsing, or single carry a KEYone/2/LE
    11-26-19 09:43 PM
    I would not if I need a larger screen and keyboard I will bring my laptop.
    11-26-19 10:38 PM
    Honestly I can see some sense in your idea.

After leaving BB10 full time two years ago for Android and iOS, nothing has even come close to matching the BB10 Hub.

The Android Hub was decent but it's become a lot worse over the past year.

I picked up a used Passport Silver Edition for fairly cheap a few weeks ago. It was a bit rough so I bought a new housing/screen/battery for it and just replaced them tonight. It's mint condition now. Trying to come up with a plan that makes sense to carry it full time along with either my iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and Shuswap like this.
    11-26-19 10:52 PM
    I only single carry my Classic. No need to dual carry as it has good cell phone capability along with the pda attributes. bPod is great for podcasts, especially when paired with a 128 GB sd card. No need for wifi while at work.

I added a Grom Audio Bluetooth kit to my 96 Volvo 850 turbo, so now I am always looking for a good excuse to hit the road with my Classic to cruise around listening to podcasts. Ahhh nostalgia.

The only issue is locating a replacement battery from a reputable manufacturer as it's over 3 years old.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 10:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is what I have been doing since few months. An android for surity of apps and classic for regular use. Android is my backup phone here.
    WES51 and ratfinkstooley like this.
    11-26-19 11:46 PM
    In my opinion my Bold 9900 was indeed the best PDA by far. I used to dual carry and use my 9900 as PDA, email+text and phone.

I still dual carry, but I had to give up on the 9900, because it kept losing eMail connection if it was connecting to certain towers. In other words, eMail would no longer come trough in certain areas over the cel phone network. This was with AT&T and started happening about 2 years ago.

I have a Classic since last spring. I find it OK, but the 9900 blows it away in terms of PDA ease of use and PDA productivity.

I keep thinking I just have to get used to BB10 and all will come to me, still the 9900 was just one of the kind. E.g. with the Classic, when I look at my calendar, it takes time for month view of the calendar to populate and sometimes I have to move the month back and forth to have my schedule show up. And then there is some bug too, where I can't move freely back and forth within the calendar although this may apply to track pad use only. But even the appointment scheduling itself is by far not intuitive and takes me about twice the time and effort to put down an appointment, versus the 9900, where I could just almost effortlessly throw in appointments.

Anyhow, my long 2 cent.
    11-27-19 10:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, you have just summed up why I have a Key2.
    Note that I never had a Passport, I had a Classic, but I'm just NOT going to carry 2 devices around when I have a great device in the Key2 that does everything that I need.

For about 3 years now I have literally been the "old IT guy" at work who knows the legacy systems and so I need communications while on vacation. I do take my laptop just in case things so completely south, but for the last 2 years I have been able to get by with email and Google Hangouts.

So, no, I'm not going to dual carry.
    ratfinkstooley and mh1983 like this.
    11-27-19 11:02 AM
    I only single carry my Classic.
    The only issue is locating a replacement battery from a reputable manufacturer as it's over 3 years old.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, I replaced my Passport battery for an X-Longer one and it is good as new. This was about a year ago and it is still going strong.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-19 11:36 AM
    I am seriously considering the dual carry, especially when traveling. I was finding real issues with the web browser support, etc when I was outside of Canada. The struggle to transition from the passport to the key2 is very real.
    11-28-19 12:42 AM
    I use a q10 as my primary phone and a cheap android device as a WiFi-only small tablet for my crm and project management apps. I will continue to do so for as long my q10 is supported.
    11-28-19 03:20 PM
    I am seriously considering the dual carry, especially when traveling. I was finding real issues with the web browser support, etc when I was outside of Canada. The struggle to transition from the passport to the key2 is very real.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often!!!!

I’ve read few of your posts within separate threads and your frustration is understandable.

Dual carry is something that I’ve done for over ten years with Android/iOS flagship and mid-tier hardware. The nice thing is that BBAndroid is what BB10 should have been way back when. It’s better than standard Android is for some of the BBOS and BB10 functions us CrackBerrians love.

The bad news is that dual carry at this stage will just delay the inevitable with adjusting to Android/iOS ecosystem. As you’ve read here, BBAndroid may stop if BBMo doesn’t continue beyond the Key2 and Key2 LE models. Force yourself to accept BBAndroid now and don’t look back to minimize your frustrations. Either way, good luck.
    WES51 likes this.
    11-28-19 08:21 PM
    I sometimes carry a bb10 (passport/Z10/Z30) as a "hobby phone". It's all rationalizing not wanting to let go of bb10 and all that comes with that.
    I don't mean this in a bad way in the least bit.
    12-04-19 06:26 AM
    I sometimes carry a bb10 (passport/Z10/Z30) as a "hobby phone". It's all rationalizing not wanting to let go of bb10 and all that comes with that.
    Many here do the same....
    12-04-19 09:53 AM
    I do that with the KEYones now..
    12-04-19 09:55 AM
    Yeah.. that is actually true. I do tend to use my BlackBerry Z30 as a PDA. Handles my work tasks, work emails, work appointments as well as my personal emails, appointments, and small tasks. I like that on contacts I can leave detailed notes on their contact info so that I can follow up!

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    Yesterday 12:19 PM