With 3G/4G I get full bars while with LTE I get 2. Stick to the 3G/4G option and use battery saver with data. Or got full battery saver for sms and calls only... and wifi the rest.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:26 AM
    I set mine 4G & 3G only. Then network selection mode to manual. It last a day like my Passport.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-26-15 11:27 AM
    With 3G/4G I get full bars while with LTE I get 2. Stick to the 3G/4G option and use battery saver with data. Or got full battery saver for sms and calls only... and wifi the rest.

Posted via CB10
    With data on or off, 3G and 4G still use a lot more power. Plus, the inconvenience of no data would be huge. I have a Q10 only because I'm all day on e-mail, whatsapp and bbm. I want data, but also want battery.

I'm not saying to kill the data feature from battery saving... I'm saying to add a function which would change network mode in battery saving mode.

P.S. Today I have 62% left after full day, over 1.5hr calls and Wifi on. 2G really makes a difference!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:18 PM
    With data on or off, 3G and 4G still use a lot more power. Plus, the inconvenience of no data would be huge. I have a Q10 only because I'm all day on e-mail, whatsapp and bbm. I want data, but also want battery.

I'm not saying to kill the data feature from battery saving... I'm saying to add a function which would change network mode in battery saving mode.

P.S. Today I have 62% left after full day, over 1.5hr calls and Wifi on. 2G really makes a difference!

Posted via CB10
    You proved my point at the end there. Turn off cellular data and connect to wifi. You'll get 2g atleast. Saving even more battery life.. so leave the cellular data at 2G at all times . Doesn't sound like you want 3G /4G enabled at anytime anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:53 PM
    Even wifi consumes so much battery power.

I wish there are low power Bluetooth based wifi routers, if that is possible at all(wonder if anyone makes such)
    a) it saves device/laptop battery and b) low RF radiation at home.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 07:46 PM
    It does make sense. How are you supposed to send an email or bbm with data turned off with no wifi? I think they should include the option for 2g only in battery saving mode.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand this. Isn't the purpose of battery saving mode reported to be for periods of downtime? As in when the device isn't being utilized? I would think that if someone is actively using their device, battery saving mode would be counterproductive, no?

I understand all of the other reasons here, just not this one. Can you explain what I'm missing? Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 09:01 PM
    I don't understand this. Isn't the purpose of battery saving mode reported to be for periods of downtime? As in when the device isn't being utilized? I would think that if someone is actively using their device, battery saving mode would be counterproductive, no?

I understand all of the other reasons here, just not this one. Can you explain what I'm missing? Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    Battery saving mode doesn't necessarily mean downtime, it just means battery saving time, trying to maximize that last ~20% depending on what you have it set as.

For me, it just means focusing in on what needs to be done the most with that remaining 20% and trying to stretch it as long as possible.

Usually this means things that don't require nearly as much data and I would then understand the benefit of having the option to force a radio spectrum (i.e. 2G).

I see both sides of this debate and after all of the responses, I think it'd be a good idea for BlackBerry to include the option to force the radio to a specific spectrum (based on the list that they are able to select from their carrier in the normal settings screen). However, this should be disabled by default and should not be forced on.

That's my view on all dis shtuffles anyhow! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-26-15 10:46 PM
    Battery saving mode doesn't necessarily mean downtime, it just means battery saving time, trying to maximize that last ~20% depending on what you have it set as.

For me, it just means focusing in on what needs to be done the most with that remaining 20% and trying to stretch it as long as possible.

Usually this means things that don't require nearly as much data and I would then understand the benefit of having the option to force a radio spectrum (i.e. 2G).

I see both sides of this debate and after all of the responses, I think it'd be a good idea for BlackBerry to include the option to force the radio to a specific spectrum (based on the list that they are able to select from their carrier in the normal settings screen). However, this should be disabled by default and should not be forced on.

That's my view on all dis shtuffles anyhow! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Hmmm. Ok. I guess I would solve that issue by keeping my device charged or have a spare battery for devices with a bad battery life like my Z10. But I am also hearing great reports of battery life on the new devices such as the Passport. Unless stranded where there is no electricity at all, I see that as a personal responsibility situation regarding battery charging. But I guess some need assistance with those type of things. I can't knock it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 10:58 PM
    You proved my point at the end there. Turn off cellular data and connect to wifi. You'll get 2g atleast. Saving even more battery life.. so leave the cellular data at 2G at all times . Doesn't sound like you want 3G /4G enabled at anytime anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Buddy, then how do you explain the less then 20% battery when on 3G/4G and while being all day on Wifi. The difference arises when switching to 2G. I mentioned wi-fi exactly to show that situations are comparable.

For me, the phone looses 50% of its functionality without data.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:15 AM
    Actually, I had an 8800 - which only supported EDGE and not 3G - for over six years before (finally) updating to the Z10... One of the drivers for me (other than the hopelessly poor Web browser) was that carriers were advising then that EDGE service would be terminated in the 2016/17 timeframe. I do agree with you on one count, however; EDGE got me e-mail service in places with only 1 bar in some of the most electronically inhospitable places in the U.S. (but they were also some of the most amazing places from a human perspective).

Cheers!
    02-27-15 06:30 AM
    My carrier doesn't even support 2G. Only 3 and 4 (3.5 realistically).

So for me personally, that would be both pointless and non-functioning.

Posted via CB10
    ^^ this
    my carrier (Three UK) supports 3G, 3.5 G (known as H) and 4G (a.k.a. LTE is some countries) only
    02-27-15 06:34 AM
    Hey guys,

It seems pretty obvious to me, but apparently not to blackberry. One of the biggest power users is the radio.

Over the past 2 days, I set my Q10 to use only "2G" network. Usually at the end of the day I usually have 5 to 20% battery remaining (sometimes it dies at 15%), but with the 2G settings I have 50%+ left. 2G is not ideal, it's enough for email, bbm and whatsapp, but when you want to use gmaps, or browse the Internet it's super slow.

The battery saving mode is great, but I feel like it's missing the option to set phone to 2G mode. In this way, I would still have my communications going, but would also be able to "live" another half a day or more on the 30% (where is my limit).

What do you guys think?

Best,

Adelin

Posted via CB10
    Hi. Adelin, 2g feature was always there for you to select if you want to conserve battery. BlackBerry did not missed that feature.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:54 AM
    He's talking about putting the option in Battery Saving Mode

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I understand this, but the availability of 2g is dependent on the carrier and it is there on the network settings and indeed absent on the battery saving mode menu.

The point is that it can be set to not limit data (under battery saving mode) and then manually change the type of network connection. So, I will agree, not optimal UI (as it is not also under the battery saving mode menu) but it is doable with a simple setting 3 taps away.

It is one thing that some extra setting tampering is needed and another if it is there or not as an option of configuration.

I will agree though that including the option directly in the battery saving mode, would make it more practical. (what I do not know, is if this override of network would always lead to better battery: eg for companies that might use for some geographical regions 3G and up, the phone would be constantly looking for 2g and neither have connection, nor save battery?)

I do not know this, as I believe it is a multifactor technical question and would require knowing how each network handles signals and frequencies, so as to put it as a universal solution for a battery saving mode module setup option maybe?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 02-27-15 at 01:17 PM.
    02-27-15 07:49 AM
    Hi. Adelin, 2g feature was always there for you to select if you want to conserve battery. BlackBerry did not missed that feature.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Notna Nosyel, I know that. We are talking about including it as part of the battery saving mode.
    02-27-15 07:50 AM
    That mode sometimes is an option on my Passport...sometimes its not. It's weird.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 09:12 AM
    Can't agree more, 2G won't be phased out in the UK any time soon, since in a lot of areas we struggle to get 3G or even a 2G signal, many times my phone just says "G", in fact, it's saying it now, I'm at home 20 mins from the city centre.
    02-27-15 02:24 PM
    ^^ this
    my carrier (Three UK) supports 3G, 3.5 G (known as H) and 4G (a.k.a. LTE is some countries) only
    giffgaff supports 2G, 3G, HSPA, DC-HSPA on a lucky day (very very lucky) and 4G, problem is 4G isn't even active here yet, the 3G/HSPA signal is virtually non existent in some areas/times, half the time I've on Edge, GPRS or sometimes even GSM, I actually forgot GSM icon was even there.
    02-27-15 02:27 PM
    Look at it from an all-encompassing POV, rather than what works for you. What options do you see in battery saving mode--things that are carrier-independent, right? What good would 2G mode do to a person whose legacy network is CDMA? A person whose carrier has entirely cannibalized their 2G network? Whose carrier does not allow such manual selection of networks (I'm looking at you, AT&T...) would such an option not create more confusion than be helpful?
    currentodysseys and dazzleaj like this.
    02-27-15 03:50 PM
    Here in Canada Rogers is the only one with 2G, rest of the carriers have phased it out in 2012-2013

Posted via Canadian Made Passport
    02-27-15 04:59 PM
    Look at it from an all-encompassing POV, rather than what works for you. What options do you see in battery saving mode--things that are carrier-independent, right? What good would 2G mode do to a person whose legacy network is CDMA? A person whose carrier has entirely cannibalized their 2G network? Whose carrier does not allow such manual selection of networks (I'm looking at you, AT&T...) would such an option not create more confusion than be helpful?
    They would need to have the phone programmed to evaluate power cost vrs data rate and offer the option for power efficiency or max data flow. Some times they would be the same I think, like if you were in a strong 4G field. Might be cheaper power wise to be 4G rather than searching for 2G.
    Just a thought....
    02-27-15 06:38 PM
    Here in Canada Rogers is the only one with 2G, rest of the carriers have phased it out in 2012-2013
    Bell and Telus (and I think WIND too) never had a GSM (2G) network. So at best, the largest customer base helped out in Canada would be just Rogers customers. So is it worth it?

They would need to have the phone programmed to evaluate power cost vrs data rate and offer the option for power efficiency or max data flow. Some times they would be the same I think, like if you were in a strong 4G field. Might be cheaper power wise to be 4G rather than searching for 2G.
    Just a thought....
    That sounds like an interesting way of going about it and probably the right one, but I would think that data rate would require user input, plus not even stay constant (when you're roaming, for example.)

And 2G doesn't necessarily need to be the best battery saver. It's just so because 2G towers may outnumber UMTS and LTE towers. But go to remote areas and you'll be lucky even to hold down 2G.
    02-27-15 07:59 PM
    I believe some wireless providers are turning this option off, that allows us to choose the network type.
    I contacted my wireless provider couple of months ago, the tier one support had no clue as usual.
    2g and GPRS is more than enough for my emails. And would save battery life.

My understanding is, that the 3g connections spawn multiple radio links with the towers, there by draining the battery.

Posted via CB10
    I have heard of that happening in the US, but there's a lot of countries that have a very real need for 2G & won't be turning them off any time soon

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:54 PM
47 12