08-10-14 03:46 PM
38 12
tools
    After a year and a half with bb10 I figured out how to stop the frustration of duplicate contacts.

Whenever I add a new contact I will uncheck "Local contacts" and "Sim card", because BB10 would save the contacts to 3 separate spots which I determined was the issue.

Up until both would be checked by default, however since my recent Verizon update I have noticed that the "Sim Card" is no longer checked by default.

Is this a sign that BlackBerry is finally addressing the issue?

Buddha Stories - C0038CC70
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-19-14 at 10:47 AM.
    07-19-14 09:01 AM
    My contacts are slooooooooooooooooow messed up and I will delete things under my name in the contacts and other contacts and it will not delete the information or if it does finally it will pull something else in the fields.

WTF have they done to fuc k this part of the OS
    Last edited by texn884; 07-20-14 at 09:22 PM.
    07-19-14 09:46 AM
    if you are getting contact info from multiple locations it seems to overwright any info we change with the info its getting from other sources like Facebook. the same with duplicates, I get one from Twitter that isint in the same format as the one from Facebook, so they have to be linked manualy.
    07-19-14 10:01 AM
    After a year and a half with bb10 I figured out how to stop the frustration of duplicate contacts.

Whenever I add a new contact I will uncheck "Local contacts" and "Sim card", because BB10 would save the contacts to 3 separate spots which I determined was the issue.

Up until both would be checked by default, however since my recent Verizon update I have noticed that the "Sim Card" is no longer checked by default.

They won't even admit there is an issue. I think they fired so many people they have no one to modify or improve the OS in ways that matter.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3247 / T-Mobile USA
    idon12no likes this.
    07-20-14 03:01 AM
    So the 6500+ employees there do...what, exactly? I'd suggest you look into the 10.3 leaks...I think they might be doing a fair bit - and if you'd bother to consider how many people work on iPhone and Android OS, you'd realize "Holy ****! Blackberry are releasing updates twice as fast as both those companies, with far fewer people!"

More to the point, I believe it was Michael Clewley who's addressed the issue before - more than once, as I recall. The duplicate contacts happened due to some sort of issue - it doesn't matter what, really - but the point is, once they sync with whatever contacts service you use, be it Gmail or whatever, they're saved in duplicate form. The BlackBerry side of the issue has been fixed, but if there's already two people named Jim Smith in your contacts, when you add that account to your phone it's going to download them as two separate contacts because hey, maybe you just happen to know two guys named Jim Smith. Or maybe you know a lot of people by first name only, and would rather have all the Franks show up in your contacts than just one of them.

To summarize: Already fixed. Stop poopooing if you haven't thoroughly researched the issue. Log into Gmail and clean up your contacts. Problem solved. Have a nice day.

They won't even admit there is an issue. I think they fired so many people they have no one to modify or improve the OS in ways that matter.

dudoo and pcguy514 like this.
    07-20-14 07:51 PM
    Nope.

Posted from an ME173X
    07-20-14 08:05 PM
    if you are getting contact info from multiple locations it seems to overwright any info we change with the info its getting from other sources like Facebook. the same with duplicates, I get one from Twitter that isint in the same format as the one from Facebook, so they have to be linked manualy.
    But still we should have option to merge them. This is really a dark side where BlackBerry is not focused

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:12 PM
    I've managed to get my contacts within the actual contacts app to stop duplicating by basically deactivating any of the social media "contact finding" options, and making a separate Gmail account just for contact synching (once I cleaned the phone's list up). The issue I have is that I still get contacts from all the sources (FB, twitter, etc) showing up whenever you compose new messages from the hub. Luckily I only frequently contact a few folk (normally in ongoing reply threads), so it doesn't bother me.

I'm just glad my contacts app list doesn't mysteriously get bigger every time I open it.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:36 PM
    Address your own issue through troubleshooting this is NOT a wide spread issue.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-20-14 08:37 PM

After a year and a half = bulls hit!

1 year 5 mths... still 30 days before the half is.passeded.

07-20-14 08:38 PM
    But still we should have option to merge them. This is really a dark side where BlackBerry is not focused

Posted via CB10
    You do! Highlight them and hit the big chain button on the bottom of the screen to link them. Better option than people ******** because their contacts are disappearing. BlackBerry can't win. People complained hard because their contacts were disappearing and it was linking contacts. And now people are complaining because it's not linking contacts. No winning with you people. I just sync all my contacts from outlook.com and Facebook. I will sometimes catch my Facebook contacts not matched with my outlook ones but easily fixed. It does seem to remember somehow though that if I do link them manually. The next time I wipe my phone and reinstall the OS they will link automatically next time.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:39 PM
    Not for me... I link and in a few days...find them unlinked again...or I sometimes cannot find contacts when in the texting screen I an trying to find a contact

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    07-20-14 09:02 PM
    07-20-14 09:04 PM
    Try using Contact X. It can merge contacts.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3253
    07-20-14 09:18 PM
    Try using Contact X. It can merge contacts.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3253
    It royally messed up my contacts early on. That's when I moved all my contacts to Outlook.com and got rid of Gmail. Never had a problem again.
    07-20-14 09:35 PM
    It royally messed up my contacts early on. That's when I moved all my contacts to Outlook.com and got rid of Gmail. Never had a problem again.
    what settings did you use to setup outlook.com? I mean imap, ports and stuff. Can you please post? Thanks
    07-20-14 09:48 PM
    what settings did you use to setup outlook.com? I mean imap, ports and stuff. Can you please post? Thanks
    That's the best part. It's active sync not imap. Once you register your email with outlook.com you just add the address to bb10 account and it will do the rest. The only thing I do when adding it is go into advanced option to change the initial sync to forever so it downloads all emails. This is not really required though as exchange active sync allows remote search from the device. Honestly, outlook.com is so much better than Gmail on so.many levels. Web design is even 20 times better. Navigating Web Gmail is HORRENDOUS!
    07-20-14 09:54 PM

A real possibility. Also, consider how many have left for jobs at companies that can offer far more security than BlackBerry can right now. Think about it. If YOU were a skilled software engineer that could get Google and Apple HR to return your calls, would you think twice about leaving? Apple, I know for a fact, offers stock options to developers; and I bet Google does too. The best people at RIMBERRY have all been poached or simply left on their own a long time ago.
    Doggerz likes this.
    07-20-14 10:43 PM
    So the 6500+ employees there do...what, exactly? I'd suggest you look into the 10.3 leaks...I think they might be doing a fair bit - and if you'd bother to consider how many people work on iPhone and Android OS, you'd realize "Holy ****! Blackberry are releasing updates twice as fast as both those companies, with far fewer people!"

More to the point, I believe it was Michael Clewley who's addressed the issue before - more than once, as I recall. The duplicate contacts happened due to some sort of issue - it doesn't matter what, really - but the point is, once they sync with whatever contacts service you use, be it Gmail or whatever, they're saved in duplicate form. The BlackBerry side of the issue has been fixed, but if there's already two people named Jim Smith in your contacts, when you add that account to your phone it's going to download them as two separate contacts because hey, maybe you just happen to know two guys named Jim Smith. Or maybe you know a lot of people by first name only, and would rather have all the Franks show up in your contacts than just one of them.

To summarize: Already fixed. Stop poopooing if you haven't thoroughly researched the issue. Log into Gmail and clean up your contacts. Problem solved. Have a nice day.
    Apparently the problem isn't solved for a great many people. I'll see what happens with 10.3 once there is a leak I like.

Don't know what the people left at BlackBerry are doing. They're not fixing things. They're not advertising. I think they are all playing brick breaker.

On 7.1 I didn't have to do anything special to make my contacts app work. By the way, I don't synch my contacts to anything. I entered them all manually. Don't have Facebook installed. And it still can't seem to handle it.

The company doesn't care about consumers. Only enterprise. Which is ridiculous because the people using those phones in the corporations are people. They want a decent phone too. So basically BlackBerry focusing on enterprise is just an excuse to not give a damn about anything. And then wonder why everyone is switching to Android or Apple.

I used to be sad about the downfall of BlackBerry. I still am. But they did it to themselves. They still haven't learned a thing.

How is the morale for the people left at the company?

Hey I have an idea. If you can't make a phone to win back lost consumers how about improving the phone so you don't lose more? How about caring about loyal idiots like me who wasted money on PlayBook and kept trusting them and buying from them even after that?

I guess I'll stop pooping on the contacts app. Just like getting anyone to admit there was a problem with the Z10 battery this is just another issue where people choose to live in denial and blame the victim (BlackBerry customer) instead of blaming the one at fault (BlackBerry LTD)

07-20-14 11:06 PM
    Apparently the problem isn't solved for a great many people. I'll see what happens with 10.3 once there is a leak I like.

Don't know what the people left at BlackBerry are doing. They're not fixing things. They're not advertising. I think they are all playing brick breaker.

On 7.1 I didn't have to do anything special to make my contacts app work. By the way, I don't synch my contacts to anything. I entered them all manually. Don't have Facebook installed. And it still can't seem to handle it.

The company doesn't care about consumers. Only enterprise. Which is ridiculous because the people using those phones in the corporations are people. They want a decent phone too. So basically BlackBerry focusing on enterprise is just an excuse to not give a damn about anything. And then wonder why everyone is switching to Android or Apple.

I used to be sad about the downfall of BlackBerry. I still am. But they did it to themselves. They still haven't learned a thing.

How is the morale for the people left at the company?

Hey I have an idea. If you can't make a phone to win back lost consumers how about improving the phone so you don't lose more? How about caring about loyal idiots like me who wasted money on PlayBook and kept trusting them and buying from them even after that?

I guess I'll stop pooping on the contacts app. Just like getting anyone to admit there was a problem with the Z10 battery this is just another issue where people choose to live in denial and blame the victim (BlackBerry customer) instead of blaming the one at fault (BlackBerry LTD)

Z10 doesn't have a battery problem. runs the same OS as z30 and such. You get what you put out of it. 1800mah is less than 2100mah which is less than 2800mah.

IPhone by that logic has a battery problem.

BlackBerry under spec'd the z10.. Obviously but it's still not the worst thing in the world considering the fruit company has a smaller battery in it
    07-20-14 11:49 PM
    Z10 doesn't have a battery problem. runs the same OS as z30 and such. You get what you put out of it. 1800mah is less than 2100mah which is less than 2800mah.

BlackBerry under spec'd the z10.. Obviously but it's still not the worst thing in the world considering the fruit company has a smaller battery in it
    What on earth does the battery in the iPhone have to do with the specs on the Z10?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-21-14 01:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    There IS an option to merge them..

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 08:21 AM
    Talk about hijacking my thread.

I figured out several os versions ago how to eliminate my duplicate contacts issue, and I haven't had it since.

I believe they do know about it and they are working on it because :

Originally when you added a new contact it would save to several locations (gmail, local, sim) and you had no option. So to solve the issue, after I added a contact I would clear local contacts and delete the sim.

Then at some point they added an option to select which accounts new contacts are saved to, however all accounts were checked by default, so I had to uncheck local, and Sim every time.

Now with the newest version from Verizon the "Sim" option is NOT Checked by default any more.

My point is that no matter what people are saying BlackBerry IS working the problem although very slowly.

07-21-14 08:46 AM

Ealing BlackBerry is also a fruit company right?!

07-21-14 09:01 AM
    the most frustrating issue is still the disappearing contacts one...
    07-21-14 01:13 PM
38 12