countless brands live on under licensing arrangements between greedy lawyers and their new chinese owners...does that mean the company is still around? no, they are dead and gone. having the name continue only degrades their legacy.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 10:01 AM
    they abandoned making hardware and moved in to strictly software and security. it wasn't really a secret when Chen took over that blackberry was going to ease itself out of making hardware and transition into what it is now.
    Trust me I'm one that is upset about blackberry leaving the hardware business, abandoning the PRIV, and leaving bb10 barely sustainable. And to see the physical issues the keyone i.e. the screen peeling off it's adhesive is a testament of embarrassment, and the keyone is really a great device, but not a true blackberry
    09-22-17 10:24 AM
    countless brands live on under licensing arrangements between greedy lawyers and their new chinese owners...does that mean the company is still around? no, they are dead and gone. having the name continue only degrades their legacy.
    Well, this is a lot more than a brand licensing agreement. BlackBerry, Ltd is doing real work in automotive and Radar, etc.. That's a real business.

But I understand your point. If you think of BlackBerry as a smartphone company, that BlackBerry is gone.
    09-22-17 10:49 AM

Posted via CBX
    They still have a huge staff in Waterloo and Ottawa, and are on a hiring spree. They also have the new autonomous auto research centre. Apparently it's a pretty exciting place to work right now, after removing the dead weight of hardware.
    09-22-17 11:02 AM
    ZzzzzZZzzz... exciting stuff.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 11:06 AM
    ZzzzzZZzzz... exciting stuff.

Posted via CBX
    Security is a pretty exciting area to be in as a developer these days. Lots of opportunities in a number of exploding markets.

If you look at the world only through device glasses, then yes, BlackBerry would be boring.
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-22-17 11:14 AM
    Get behind the wheel off a car that I'm not driving.....
    Not ever going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-22-17 11:40 AM
    Get behind the wheel off a car that I'm not driving.....
    Not ever going to happen.
    I'm a car guy and driving enthusiast (SCCA road comp license), and so I would't use autonomous driving a lot.

But I have tried it in heavy traffic and heavy enforcement situations around SF and DC and it's actually quite nice.

I think BB can make a nice business there if they move quickly and keep to their deadlines.
    09-22-17 11:44 AM
    SCCA....very nice.

I'm actually quite the fan of the continental tire series.
    GT350R but Chevy now giving them a run for the money with the ZL1.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 12:00 PM
    are you unaware that edison was a fraud? man. where've you been?

Posted via CBX
    I am aware that a large number of his patents were actually developed by his employees and he registered them as the employer. That's not an unusual practice, incidentally.

That doesn't lessen the inspirational nature of his quotes for me, not one bit.
    09-22-17 12:30 PM
    he stole, cheated, and faked his science.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 12:31 PM
    Security is a pretty exciting area to be in as a developer these days. Lots of opportunities in a number of exploding markets.

If you look at the world only through device glasses, then yes, BlackBerry would be boring.
    Cybersecurity will be a $200B business within 5 years. It's growing a lot faster than the smartphone business, it's far less capital intensive, and it has much better margins.

Autonomous vehicles and IoT will change our lives as much or more than smartphones have.

BlackBerry is well positioned for the future in terms of its market focus. It missed at chance to lead the smart phone market in 2005-7, but they bought themselves enough time to survive, and invested wisely is other businesses.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-22-17 12:38 PM
    Chen is clutching at straws. He's praying that one of his acquisitions has a hit product.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-22-17 11:16 PM
    I sure hope not - I just got my first!
    09-24-17 11:59 AM
    I think BB is doing well, but it's far behind Android and iOS in a competitive market. That's the only problem I see with BB.
    02-12-18 02:46 AM
    I think BB is doing well, but it's far behind Android and iOS in a competitive market. That's the only problem I see with BB.
    BlackBerry exited smartphone market last year.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-18 06:17 AM
    It's already dead

Posted via CB10
    02-12-18 06:31 AM
    Sorry... it's not dying, it's dead long back!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-18 08:58 AM
    DroidBerry is alive and kickin
    02-12-18 05:12 PM
    BlackBerry exited smartphone market last year.

Posted via CB10
    I know. That's what I'm talking about.
    02-13-18 06:13 AM
    Sorry... it's not dying, it's dead long back!

Posted via CB10
    It's only dead in terms of BB-designed phones and BB10.

The ANDROID phone business is alive and well; more importantly, BB as a COMPANY is moving forward as a SOFTWARE company.
    02-13-18 11:09 AM
    more importantly, BB as a COMPANY is moving forward as a SOFTWARE company.
    I don't understand why we should care. If my favorite restaurant goes out of business but starts making hub caps using the same brand name, why should I care? I still lost my favorite restaurant.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-14-18 11:49 AM
    I don't understand why we should care. If my favorite restaurant goes out of business but starts making hub caps using the same brand name, why should I care? I still lost my favorite restaurant.

Posted via CB10
    Your point is valid - I guess I'm working from the mind-set of "Blackberry as a COMPANY is still alive".

You guys are operating from the mind-set of "Blackberry no longer makes phones or BB10, so they are dead to me".

Fair enough.
    02-14-18 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Bcs here there are people who buy/bought Bb shares....and some people are living from Bb activities (crackberry, Conite, etc...).

Posted via CB10
    02-15-18 12:35 AM
    Bcs here there are people who buy/bought Bb shares....and some people are living from Bb activities (crackberry, Conite, etc...).

Posted via CB10
    That sounds sad, they actually living from BlackBerry activities? Or that was a joke? Should we open a Go fund me for these sad cases?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-18 04:36 AM
133 ... 23456