I tried to take photos on my Android device and save on my PC. It was a project. I ended up having to upload them into Google's data collection "cloud" and then log into a Gmail account on my PC.

I couldn't figure out how to save on a memory card or how to use Windows Explorer if I plugged phone with a USB. What a hassle and intrusion!

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what you did, or what device you had, but on my S8, I just plug in the USB cable, and the phone shows up as a device in my Win 10 Explorer. After I open it, I see all the folders on it. Including the folder /DCIM, which you may recognize if you've used a digital camera before. In that folder is the /Camera folder with all your pictures. Copy and paste as needed.

Easy.

Some android devices may ask what you want to do when you plug into a PC's USB port, but the S8 was already set for transferring media files (actually, any file that can be seen).
    eshropshire and app_Developer like this.
    09-11-17 02:50 PM
    I tried to take photos on my Android device and save on my PC. It was a project. I ended up having to upload them into Google's data collection "cloud" and then log into a Gmail account on my PC.

I couldn't figure out how to save on a memory card or how to use Windows Explorer if I plugged phone with a USB. What a hassle and intrusion!

Posted via CB10
    Why not, that's easy, I have been doing it for years.
    09-11-17 03:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Once I accepted the idea that something could be done and I would learn to accept that it could be easy if that was my true effort, many new ideas became easy. Change is always inevitable.
    09-11-17 05:40 PM
    It's already dead, we the guys using BlackBerry10 crying screaming for it's updates
    The management team of BlackBerry has super clarity and performing bb10 rituals through realising BlackBerry android version by dumping it's own child(product).

Coming soon they BlackBerry android dearth....

Posted via CB10
    I don't need any updates. I don't even need any new devices. I'm content as long as there are working devices on eBay and I can replace them as I need to.

"Super clarity"? How many Chen predictions didn't come to pass? Like, wow.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 06:03 PM
    Photos, just like BB10, can be saved to either device or external (SD) memory.

Link was just software loaded on the computer to speak to a BB10 device. There are also plenty of Android apps that work like this too. Personally, I don't want to use additional software at either end, so I set up an FTP server on my laptop (takes about 2 minutes). Then I have access to my computer folders on my device.
    I'm talking about plugging in the Android phone and opening it up in Windows. Can't Android do this? Is it just my Samsung? Or is this a way for Google to force you to upload everything into its giant net?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 06:05 PM
    I'm talking about plugging in the Android phone and opening it up in Windows. Can't Android do this? Is it just my Samsung? Or is this a way for Google to force you to upload everything into its giant net?

Posted via CB10
    OK, I see maybe it was my windows or my particular device. Or my USB port. I could see the Samsung but when I opened it there was nothing there.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 06:07 PM
    BB10 is dying out slowly but surely, but some of its innovations have evolved in the BlackBerry Android experience.

It's a bit like dinosaurs evolving into birds. Birds aren't nearly as impressive, but at least they're preserving some dinosaur traits, and they're interesting in their own right.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-11-17 06:21 PM
    BB10 is dying out slowly but surely, but some of its innovations have evolved in the BlackBerry Android experience.

It's a bit like dinosaurs evolving into birds. Birds aren't nearly as impressive, but at least they're preserving some dinosaur traits, and they're interesting in their own right.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Your scientist part is showing.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 06:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. No problem with USB cable.
    09-11-17 06:44 PM
    Absolutely. No problem with USB cable.
    Yup, my wife does it all the time with her Samsung phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 06:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm... Not sure what the problem is on your end. Transferring files from an Android device to a Windows PC/laptop should be quite easy. I normally do it via usb cable or Bluetooth.
    Viewing the photos shouldn't be a problem as well.
    09-11-17 07:11 PM
    So now while everyone is complaining that the KeyOne only has 3GB of RAM, the next flagship iPhone, the iPhone X will have 3 GB.

But yeah, the OS are different and RAM management is different. But this shows that a well built OS doesn't have to consume too much RAM
    09-11-17 08:29 PM
    I loooove BB10!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 09:43 PM
    OK, I see maybe it was my windows or my particular device. Or my USB port. I could see the Samsung but when I opened it there was nothing there.
    Many phones have an option that pops up when connected via USB that allows you to set the "connection mode". My current phone lets you choose between "charging only" and "MTP" (and I think a "picture-only" option too). For transferring files, you need to select MTP. Then you'll get a window that pops up with one or two "drive folders" in it (if you have an SD card, and it's set to "external", you'll get the second folder), and you can click on those to grab your files or move things around as you like. Super easy.
    09-12-17 10:15 AM
    And even in some other Androids too...
    09-12-17 10:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Google the issue - I can't see the file system on my PRIV either - there's some kind of setup that has to be done, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
    09-12-17 11:21 AM
    But if we could build a new Six Billion Dollar Man, you're saying there's hope?

LOL $$$$$$$
    All for it!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-17 11:48 AM
    Google the issue - I can't see the file system on my PRIV either - there's some kind of setup that has to be done, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
    Google is not the issue. Pull down from the top after plugging in and see if there's an option for USB. Select the option to transfer files, media, whatever.
    Ecm likes this.
    09-12-17 12:31 PM
    Google is not the issue. Pull down from the top after plugging in and see if there's an option for USB. Select the option to transfer files, media, whatever.
    Ok, thanks for the hint - that sounds like what I found after SEARCHING Google - I wansn't saying that Google was the issue, I meant "search Google for the solution".
    09-12-17 01:03 PM
    This. Also, I believe your device has to be unlocked when you do so.

FYI, if you only expect to plug your device into your PC to transfer files, you can set the default device USB configuration to MTP (media transfer protocol) in Developer Options. Then, every time you plug it in you will see the internal storage and mSD card in Win explorer. FYI, if you use SideSync with your Sammy, it still works with MTP enabled.

Is BlackBerry dying?-2017-09-12-1-.png
    09-12-17 01:08 PM
    This. Also, I believe your device has to be unlocked when you do so.

FYI, if you only expect to plug your device into your PC to transfer files, you can set the default device USB configuration to MTP (media transfer protocol) in Developer Options. Then, every time you plug it in you will see the internal storage and mSD card in Win explorer. FYI, if you use SideSync with your Sammy, it still works with MTP enabled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-09-12 (1).png 
Views:	97 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	429727
    Sidesync? MTP? Special setup? I just want to plug the stupid thing into my PC and open it. I don't want Android to automatically dump the files into some folder hidden on my C-drive or upload them to some server so I have to log into my Google account.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you can't just plug in your Android phone without taking further steps. I thought I remembered plugging in my Nexus 7 into my PC and dragging and dropping files on a Win7 computer. Ah, Nexus 7 (2012). That was an Android device I could like.
    09-12-17 04:42 PM
    Sidesync? MTP? Special setup? I just want to plug the stupid thing into my PC and open it. I don't want Android to automatically dump the files into some folder hidden on my C-drive or upload them to some server so I have to log into my Google account.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you can't just plug in your Android phone without taking further steps. I thought I remembered plugging in my Nexus 7 into my PC and dragging and dropping files on a Win7 computer. Ah, Nexus 7 (2012). That was an Android device I could like.
    Yes you can.

Just plug the USB cable in and you're done.

Windows needs a driver, as with any device, and you may need to download it from your phone manufacturer. You can also find generic Android drivers online.
    09-12-17 05:15 PM

Forget that I mentioned SideSync. That's an add-on that does what BB Blend was intended to do, but arguably better.

And enabling MTP doesn't automatically dump anything onto your C drive -- not sure how you read that or that a Google account is involved. MTP simply allows your device internal storage and mSD card to show in Windows explorer. You control what you copy either way, the same as you would with a flash drive.
    09-12-17 07:10 PM
    I will add what I said elsewhere. My S8 was immediately seen as a device on my Win 10 PC and was able to navigate to the folders on the phone. The first time took a few seconds as I assume it was loading up the drivers in the background first.

But once it was ready, it was already set see the folders.

Then I could copy what ever I needed back and forth to the phone.

This worked not only on my home machine, but my work machine too - a Win 8.1 Pro PC.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-12-17 07:44 PM
    Yes you can.

Just plug the USB cable in and you're done.

Windows needs a driver, as with any device, and you may need to download it from your phone manufacturer. You can also find generic Android drivers online.
    I think it was a driver issue.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-17 12:17 AM
133 1234 ...