Is Blackberry destined for a buy out? Cancelling contracts, to get over TCL and the others? Genuine discussion of the future of BB.
    09-07-17 10:04 AM
    The software side seems to be doing well.

What canceled contracts are you talking about.

TCL is keeping the hardware side going... for now.
    09-07-17 10:18 AM
    Is Blackberry destined for a buy out? Cancelling contracts, to get over TCL and the others? Genuine discussion of the future of BB.
    BB10 may be on its way out, but not MY BB10s. BlackBerry on droid seems to be off to a great takeoff. Heck it might even bring back some more interest in BB10 from people who haven't seen it before. I just had an ATnT gal ask me how I like BlackBerry , and I told her I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything (also have my new BB Aurora which is android) and she said she wants a Key One you know why because everyone she talks to who has a BlackBerry loves it so much ; )

We are on the rebound now.
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-07-17 09:44 PM
    I suggest you go to their website and see what business they are in.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-17 10:13 PM
    BB10 may be on its way out, but not MY BB10s. BlackBerry on droid seems to be off to a great takeoff. Heck it might even bring back some more interest in BB10 from people who haven't seen it before. I just had an ATnT gal ask me how I like BlackBerry , and I told her I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything (also have my new BB Aurora which is android) and she said she wants a Key One you know why because everyone she talks to who has a BlackBerry loves it so much ; )

No amount of success with BlackBerry Droid is going to bring a lick of interest in BB10.

Why would it?

Development in the OS is dead. No new devices in over 2 years. What little app support there was has pretty much totally evaporated. No one cares about it outside of the few left actually still using it.

I held on for as long as I could, but finally had to move on. I still have my Z10, but it's not my daily driver anymore.
    09-07-17 11:06 PM

No. BB10 is not and never will rebound. There's no one left to ever rebuild it.
    09-07-17 11:26 PM

Haha they probably have a part time student working on BB10 now. There is no way BB10 is rebounding.
    09-07-17 11:34 PM
    I mean BlackBerry is rebounding with droid, and BB10 MIGHT even make a comeback, once people know BlackBerry has not died yet.

The first part I'm sure of, the second part is a Could Happen. Because BB10 is still better, in several important ways: Still less of a data muncher, knows where to put my downloads and what to play them with, lets me take Simple Screen Shots, to name the ones that bug me so far. Also had my First Ever BlackBerry Puke Code last night, now THAT 'S a pain in the 🐋💨. Guess your 4 digit sim puk code, even though you don't have one, and you get THREE chances, and all for no known reason. Or call your carrier, confess, and be rescued.

BB10 Is NOT Dead. BB Droid is still droid, at least so far.
    09-08-17 12:58 AM
    I mean BlackBerry is rebounding with droid, and BB10 MIGHT even make a comeback, once people know BlackBerry has not died yet.

The first part I'm sure of, the second part is a Could Happen. Because BB10 is still better, in several important ways: Still less of a data muncher, knows where to put my downloads and what to play them with, lets me take Simple Screen Shots, to name the ones that bug me so far. Also had my First Ever BlackBerry Puke Code last night, now THAT 'S a pain in the . Guess your 4 digit sim puk code, even though you don't have one, and you get THREE chances, and all for no known reason. Or call your carrier, confess, and be rescued.

BB10 may be superior but it's still dead. No mainstream developers left. Without popular apps, not enough people will purchase BB10 devices (even if they started making them again).

Irreversible downward spiral...
    09-08-17 10:43 AM

The first part I'm sure of, the second part is a Could Happen. Because BB10 is still better, in several important ways: Still less of a data muncher, knows where to put my downloads and what to play them with, lets me take Simple Screen Shots, to name the ones that bug me so far. Also had my First Ever BlackBerry Puke Code last night, now THAT 'S a pain in the . Guess your 4 digit sim puk code, even though you don't have one, and you get THREE chances, and all for no known reason. Or call your carrier, confess, and be rescued.

I'm pretty sure BB10 is dead!

And there's not really a thing called BB Droid... it's basically repackaged TCL phones (except the KeyOne which was an old phone in the pipeline)
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-08-17 04:09 PM

And there's not really a thing called BB Droid... it's basically repackaged TCL phones (except the KeyOne which was an old phone in the pipeline)
    Correct. It's called BBAndroid technically speaking. I should know. I read about it on the Internet.
    09-08-17 04:15 PM

What I just picked up is an Aurora, and I'm quite smitten by it. But, its still easier on BB10 to do a couple things I do every day: get my talk radio shows and listen, take a screenshot anytime I like, download music, type a note of any kond withouit it having to go to The Internets, oh, and just punching out on a keyboard, like I chose to do tonight.

So, a droidy BlackBerry is a droidy BlackBerry. Maybe I'll be the first to say so but I'm sure I won't be the last.

And I still love my REAL BlackBerrys more. They are very much alive. In fact I see here my Star Player app has a New and Improved version, from a loving and caring BlackBerry App Developer, how Cool Is That!
    09-08-17 08:18 PM
    Huh? Not sure if that qualifies as an OS that is actively supported
    09-08-17 09:16 PM
    What I just picked up is an Aurora, and I'm quite smitten by it. But, its still easier on BB10 to do a couple things I do every day:...

And I still love my REAL BlackBerrys more. They are very much alive. In fact I see here my Star Player app has a New and Improved version, from a loving and caring BlackBerry App Developer, how Cool Is That!
    No offense but some consumer have a track record of liking winners and others are harbingers of failure

Are you a “harbinger of failure”? | MIT News
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-08-17 09:37 PM
    The software side seems to be doing well.

What canceled contracts are you talking about.

TCL is keeping the hardware side going... for now.
    As it pretend... but it that case, why not continue to support BB10 twice a years by updates or by an upgrade more close from QNX newer stuffs? I exept may be it is becoming a very small company with a huge amount of cash in treasury.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Fs Laflamme; 09-09-17 at 08:17 AM.
    09-09-17 05:50 AM
    As it pretend... but it that case, why not continue to support BB10 twice a years by updates or by an upgrade more close from QNX newer stuffs? I exept may be it is becoming a very small company with a huge amount of cash in treasury.

Posted via CB10
    Because that takes resources for a division that is not making them any money from other areas that is making money.

A business can only support a loss - leader if they are making huge profits elsewhere. Google can do that. Microsoft can even do it, and did for years. BlackBerry did it while revenue was pouring in from BIS service fees. That revenue all but dried up. Sure, they are making some profit again, but not like they used to.

Someone at BlackBerry is still poking around BB10. There is an occasional bump in build numbers on the production servers that we can see but not access (see the "spotted OS" thread). But I joke that it's an intern in the basement janitors closet working on it after school. I don't really know, but it's obvious that BB10 is not a priority.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    09-09-17 08:53 AM
    Because that takes resources for a division that is not making them any money from other areas that is making money.

A business can only support a loss - leader if they are making huge profits elsewhere. Google can do that. Microsoft can even do it, and did for years. BlackBerry did it while revenue was pouring in from BIS service fees. That revenue all but dried up. Sure, they are making some profit again, but not like they used to.

Someone at BlackBerry is still poking around BB10. There is an occasional bump in build numbers on the production servers that we can see but not access (see the "spotted OS" thread). But I joke that it's an intern in the basement janitors closet working on it after school. I don't really know, but it's obvious that BB10 is not a priority.
    Actually, BlackBerry provides after school childcare to employees. To keep tweens busy and not get into trouble, childcare director has a BB10 coding instructional class. Unfortunately, couple of the kids hacked into the Android Security Updates part of the system and this is reason for the recent bugs and delays....
    09-09-17 09:31 AM
    BB had a team of 3700 people who were the BB10 development team. This doesn't count support or marketing or distribution or any of that - just people working on the OS and related apps.

Do you have any idea what it costs to employ 3700 hi-tech workers per year? It isn't just the costs of their salaries, you must also factor in the costs of benefits, taxes, office space, equipment, utilities, training, travel, etc. A very safe figure is $250,000 US per worker in total cost per year.

Multiply by 3700 workers, and you have an annual cost of $925M per year. Yes, that's just under A BILLION US DOLLARS per year!

To compare, Google and Apple each have 6-7,000 developers working on Android and iOS, respectively.

Anyway, ask yourself: who is going to pay this BILLION DOLLARS every year to keep a BB10 team around? Or do you believe that we can hire 4 guys in India to keep things going (as one user claimed)? If so, why wouldn't everyone do that?

The truth is that a smartphone OS/platform is INCREDIBLY complex and complicated, and you need subject matter experts in lots and lots of different areas, along with a lot of talented developers and a great team of testers, in order to do this kind of work. There are lots of laws and standards and regulations that must be followed and tested against, and that alone costs a ton of money.

I could go on, but the point is this: it's incredibly expensive to develop your own smartphone platform. If you can sell many tens or hundreds of millions of phones every year, it's still possible to make a profit, but if you can't, then you'll just burn through money. BB burned through $9-10 billion dollars (meaning: they LOST that much money, net) on BB10. Effectively, BB subsidized every phone by well over $100 per handset.

How long do you expect a company to make products at a huge loss? And how long do you expect a company to continue to support those products when they make no money doing so, and when they've left that business entirely? What you WANT is irrelevant - only the business case matters. Chen wasn't hired to make you happy, he was hired to stop BB from bleeding massive amounts of money and ultimately to turn a profit, and the smartphone business was a casualty of that turn-around. Like a mangled leg that would have killed its host, BB had to amputate the smartphone business (including BBOS/BB10) to save the patient. And like an amputated leg, the next (and final) stop for BB10 is the incinerator.
    elfabio80 and glwerry like this.
    09-10-17 11:27 AM
    BB had a team of 3700 people who were the BB10 development team. This doesn't count support or marketing or distribution or any of that - just people working on the OS and related apps.

Do you have any idea what it costs to employ 3700 hi-tech workers per year? It isn't just the costs of their salaries, you must also factor in the costs of benefits, taxes, office space, equipment, utilities, training, travel, etc. A very safe figure is $250,000 US per worker in total cost per year.

Multiply by 3700 workers, and you have an annual cost of $925M per year. Yes, that's just under A BILLION US DOLLARS per year!

To compare, Google and Apple each have 6-7,000 developers working on Android and iOS, respectively.

Anyway, ask yourself: who is going to pay this BILLION DOLLARS every year to keep a BB10 team around? Or do you believe that we can hire 4 guys in India to keep things going (as one user claimed)? If so, why wouldn't everyone do that?

The truth is that a smartphone OS/platform is INCREDIBLY complex and complicated, and you need subject matter experts in lots and lots of different areas, along with a lot of talented developers and a great team of testers, in order to do this kind of work. There are lots of laws and standards and regulations that must be followed and tested against, and that alone costs a ton of money.

I could go on, but the point is this: it's incredibly expensive to develop your own smartphone platform. If you can sell many tens or hundreds of millions of phones every year, it's still possible to make a profit, but if you can't, then you'll just burn through money. BB burned through $9-10 billion dollars (meaning: they LOST that much money, net) on BB10. Effectively, BB subsidized every phone by well over $100 per handset.

How long do you expect a company to make products at a huge loss? And how long do you expect a company to continue to support those products when they make no money doing so, and when they've left that business entirely? What you WANT is irrelevant - only the business case matters. Chen wasn't hired to make you happy, he was hired to stop BB from bleeding massive amounts of money and ultimately to turn a profit, and the smartphone business was a casualty of that turn-around. Like a mangled leg that would have killed its host, BB had to amputate the smartphone business (including BBOS/BB10) to save the patient. And like an amputated leg, the next (and final) stop for BB10 is the incinerator.
    But if we could build a new Six Billion Dollar Man, you're saying there's hope?

LOL $$$$$$$
    ppeters914 likes this.
    09-10-17 01:26 PM
    But if we could build a new Six Billion Dollar Man, you're saying there's hope?

LOL $$$$$$$
    Yes! Let's do it!
    09-10-17 05:44 PM
    What I just picked up is an Aurora, and I'm quite smitten by it. But, its still easier on BB10 to do a couple things I do every day: get my talk radio shows and listen, take a screenshot anytime I like, download music, type a note of any kond withouit it having to go to The Internets, oh, and just punching out on a keyboard, like I chose to do tonight.

So, a droidy BlackBerry is a droidy BlackBerry. Maybe I'll be the first to say so but I'm sure I won't be the last.

I tried to take photos on my Android device and save on my PC. It was a project. I ended up having to upload them into Google's data collection "cloud" and then log into a Gmail account on my PC.

I couldn't figure out how to save on a memory card or how to use Windows Explorer if I plugged phone with a USB. What a hassle and intrusion!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 11:31 AM
    Its not dead

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 11:54 AM
    It's already dead, we the guys using BlackBerry10 crying screaming for it's updates
    The management team of BlackBerry has super clarity and performing bb10 rituals through realising BlackBerry android version by dumping it's own child(product).

Coming soon they BlackBerry android dearth....

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 01:53 PM
    Its not dead

Posted via CB10
    Can't wait to appreciate U bro, for Ur hopes

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 01:55 PM
    I tried to take photos on my Android device and save on my PC. It was a project. I ended up having to upload them into Google's data collection "cloud" and then log into a Gmail account on my PC.

I couldn't figure out how to save on a memory card or how to use Windows Explorer if I plugged phone with a USB. What a hassle and intrusion!

Posted via CB10
    Photos, just like BB10, can be saved to either device or external (SD) memory.

Link was just software loaded on the computer to speak to a BB10 device. There are also plenty of Android apps that work like this too. Personally, I don't want to use additional software at either end, so I set up an FTP server on my laptop (takes about 2 minutes). Then I have access to my computer folders on my device.
    09-11-17 02:07 PM
133 123 ...