There are many such office files and pdf which don't open on BlackBerry despite BlackBerry claim to focus on working professionals and officials.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 01:10 PM
    Hmmm, do not have any problem with pdf's and most office docs except.txt files
    08-20-15 01:34 PM
    Never had a PDF not open... and most of the standard Office extensions work.

Maybe you have some other issues....
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 08-20-15 at 02:23 PM.
    08-20-15 01:40 PM
    I find that I can't open Rich Text Format documents in documents to go. Not that I have them sent to me often, but you'd think that they'd open.

Posted via  Z30 (OS 10.3.2.2339)
    08-20-15 02:57 PM
    There are many such office files and pdf which don't open on BlackBerry despite BlackBerry claim to focus on working professionals and officials.

Posted via CB10
    Are you ******** or want help? You provide little details. Please provide a sample or error message or issue.

- another person without office or pdf problems.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 03:19 PM
    I have had some highly interactive pdf files not open, but that's it.

 Classic
    08-20-15 07:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    A professional would explain the problem and ask for solutions. Not whine and complain.
    tmf06 likes this.
    08-20-15 08:59 PM
    I have seen a PDF made by an Adobe Design program not open and RTF files for sure don't open, which I find ridiculous.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    08-20-15 09:12 PM
    I have seen a PDF made by an Adobe Design program not open and RTF files for sure don't open, which I find ridiculous.

In all my years in business and IT, I have never sent or received a .RTF file.
    08-20-15 09:20 PM

Yes, it is true that pdf portfolio files and pdf's that act as a container for flash content will not open.

Also, rtf files have never been supported by docs to go, even though it used to be a fairly common cross-platform format. Luckily rtf files can now be opened in Office mobile (if you have an Office 365 subscription and load the app through Snap).

I also use an app called cloudvert to convert various file formats (including rtf), but the drawback is that the conversion is off-site and hence not secure. It is free for a limited volume of conversions, and I have never exceeded the limit.

I have never found a way to open a pdf portfolio file on bb10, and I would love to know of anyone who has.

I agree with the OP that BlackBerry should consider document format compatibility to be among its highest priorities if the company wants to be seen as enterprise-centric. Despite comments made by others, I find that rtf files are not all that uncommon. For example, a lot of OCR software and PDF conversion software will produce a "Word" document that has a .doc extension, but it is really an rtf file. Such files cannot be opened in docs to go.

Likewise, the WINMAIL.DAT attachment that some Outlook configurations create is a type of rtf file that, again, cannot be read on a BlackBerry. These are gaps the company should view as priorities because they cause friction for the enterprise user.

Those of us who were early adopters of bb10 can remember that the OS originally would not even support opening secured pdf files! From a security-centric organization, that was quite embarrassing, and memorable.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 10:30 PM
    I bet windows phone would open those just fine
    08-20-15 10:47 PM
    In all my years in business and IT, I have never sent or received a .RTF file.
    I've been doing this stuff for almost 30 years and I've only seen RTF files used on occasion, but when it affects you, it's a big deal. I have a program that syncs folders at night & emails the report as an RTF file.

I have a difficult client that was having an issue with his Q10 (I don't remember what it was) & he told me that iPhone users don't have that problem. A quick Bing search brought up page after page of iPhone users having the same exact issue.

Just today I ran into a user with a full Hard Drive, much of the space was taken up by the Windows\CSC folder, which is Off-Line files. There is no reason for this user to be caching anything off-line, it's a desktop computer. Anyway, I've never ran into that problem before, but it turns out that many others have.

No disrespect intended: Some problems can be a common issue for many others, even if it doesn't affect you.

08-21-15 12:27 AM
    My Passport cannot open open office documents. Incidentally most of my office nodes use open office as a standard and I have to rely on my laptop.

Anyone had any luck with that?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:58 AM
    My Passport cannot open open office documents. Incidentally most of my office nodes use open office as a standard and I have to rely on my laptop.

Anyone had any luck with that?

Posted via CB10
    You can change the defaults of OpenOffice from .odf to .doc and then all files will be made into cross-compatible documents. So even if you send a document to somebody with MS Office they can still read it. That's probably the best thing to do.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 12:05 PM
    I agree with OP. I find the lack of file extensions is short. I'm not saying it's better on iOS and Android, I'm saying BlackBerry could do better about it. (Plus iOS and Android will have a native app for it).

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-25-15 12:11 PM
    I'm frustrated by the inability of Doc2Go to display footnotes and comments (I get a lot of these types of documents), particularly when the BBOS version handles these properly.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    08-25-15 01:32 PM
    Don't people typically use .doc and .docx? Who in their right mind would send an .rtf file? What are they using, Word Pad?
    08-25-15 09:01 PM
    Ya this is mostly a problem with the users. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect docs to go to be perfect. Only Microsoft Office mobile can be expected to support every file type, and even they may not support Odf. files.

Office mobile is free now so use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 09:35 PM
    Don't people typically use .doc and .docx? Who in their right mind would send an .rtf file? What are they using, Word Pad?
    I think so, that or they are used to using rtf because, back in the day, it was a common format that both Word and Word Perfect could open easily.

Minutes ago, I received an email with 14 RTF files. #fml

Posted via  Z30 (OS 10.3.2.2339)
    08-25-15 11:38 PM
    Ya this is mostly a problem with the users.

Posted via CB10
    Does that ring a bell? No...? Does that not sound like some phone makers who have gone big today? "You're using it wrong"?
    BlackBerry 's strength is in giving the users build-in options.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-26-15 02:26 AM
    Thanks Eddy for the reply. The issue is there are just too many open office users around me. So to change everyone's defaults would be tiresome and ultra lengthy process. Isn't there any tweak that just gets it done on my passport that simply allows me to open and view open office documents and spreadsheets?
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10 on my *Passport�‎
    08-26-15 03:15 AM
    I hear all the complaints about how BlackBerry should take note of what the business people want and need to stay competitive in regards to file compatibility but you need to remember they made BlackBerry compatible with android apps. Even if we are not thrilled about loading android apps at times the apps we are complaining about are Available, perhaps not in the Amazon app store but we all know we can get it from snap or Google Play Store or plainly just from the internet.
    Yes I do agree they should address this little omission but I'm pretty sure they have their hands full floating their boat at the moment. I'm sure that when things start sailing again they will have time to put a message in a bottle lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 07:14 AM
    Thanks Eddy for the reply. The issue is there are just too many open office users around me. So to change everyone's defaults would be tiresome and ultra lengthy process. Isn't there any tweak that just gets it done on my passport that simply allows me to open and view open office documents and spreadsheets?
    Thanks.

I don't have the file to test but have you tried the Docs Viewer from the Amazon Store? Do you have SNAP or the Google! PLAY Store?
    BlackBerry don't allow all the office documents and all the PDF files to open-img_20150826_081638.png

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 07:18 AM
    Thanks.

Why can't you use office mobile? I use it in my z30 and it's free do long as you create an outlook or Hotmail account. I assume it opens .Rtf

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 07:59 PM
    I haven't investigated why, but now PDF attachments open to a blank page. PDF files from the same sender opened fine previously.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2239
    08-26-15 08:06 PM
27 12