Okay, that's fine. You can think whatever way you would like. But you do realize that BlackBerry is moving to Android and their experience suite to Android, right? The market will decide if the HUB on Android is a good solution or not, and BlackBerry is obviously ignoring gmail on BB10 (fine, they can do that if they want), but when they move to Android.. They can't let it slide anymore. Do you think it's just a coincidence that all of the major email clients currently on Android have a dedicated one-click "archive" button (which for a gmail account simply just removes the "inbox" label, and on other clients properly places it in the "archived" folder)? Let's name a few:

- CloudMagic (1m - 5m users)
    - Mailbox by Dropbox (1m - 5m users)
    - Email Type Mail (1m - 5m users)
    - Inbox (10m - 50m users)
    - Gmail (1b - 5b users) [which keep in mind now supports emails accounts other than just gmail accounts now]

So every single one of these clients have a designated "Archive" option that works with gmail perfectly. Yet you believe that BlackBerry will get away by just ignoring gmail users when moving to Android?

I'm sorry, but we are talking about more than a BILLION people, compared to the 10m currently on BB10. I think the majority of users have decided that a proper one-click "archive" option is needed. BlackBerry can ignore that, or not. Up to them. But if they ignore that, then the HUB won't be as successful as they need it to be when they make the jump to Android.

Feel free to say "perfect for Google and android fans, ridiculous for everyone else." because thinking like that is EXACTLY what caused BlackBerry to get into the situation they are currently in. They got too complacent with the way that they did things, what they thought was the *right* way to do things. Well the market decided and it has done nothing but hurt BlackBerry. They need to conform to the masses at-least a little bit in order to survive.
    The majority is always wrong. Just because a billion people do it the backwards and less productive way doesn't mean we should all conform.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    extisis and The_Passporter like this.
    09-05-15 02:55 PM
    The majority is always wrong. Just because a billion people do it the backwards and less productive way doesn't mean we should all conform.

I get the sense that you are arguing just to argue at this point? The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter who is doing it "right", "wrong", "forwards", "backwards", etc. For the BlackBerry HUB to be successful on Android, they need the same functionality that nearly 2 billions people are expecting and used to having. Just because you want BlackBerry to be "different" doesn't mean they should be. It's currently about surviving as a company right now and becoming successful again. They don't have the luxury of "being different" when it means not appeasing their entire prospective market. Be realistic and stop taking it all so personally. It's a business move that they have to take to get the much larger Android userbase onboard.
    09-05-15 03:03 PM
    I get the sense that you are arguing just to argue at this point? The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter who is doing it "right", "wrong", "forwards", "backwards", etc. For the BlackBerry HUB to be successful on Android, they need the same functionality that nearly 2 billions people are expecting and used to having. Just because you want BlackBerry to be "different" doesn't mean they should be. It's currently about surviving as a company right now and becoming successful again. They don't have the luxury of "being different" when it means not appeasing their entire prospective market. Be realistic and stop taking it all so personally. It's a business move that they have to take to get the much larger Android userbase onboard.
    I think it's been said on this thread already, you can't please everyone. Who's to say all mail won't be on the android hub? Does it have to be on bb10 hub?
    That's the only function of Gmail that doesn't work in the Hub. You can do everything else on it but pull up all mail, which is just you arguing at this point because the rest of us have given help on how to achieve everything else and it's been clearly stated that all mail isn't possible, but you won't drop it.

09-05-15 03:08 PM
    Is there a way to create a new folder/label from the device easily? Or do you have to do it from the web interface and wait for it to sync to the device?

I have used labels for quite some time, but normally don't label unimportant emails (ones that I don't want to delete, but they aren't overly important). Thus, I would just "archive" them. I'll try giving it a shot where I go and label every single email that comes in, will be a bit of a pain, but maybe it'll get easier over-time. One annoyance I am getting with this route is when I go to "file" an email, and say the label/folder doesn't exist that I am trying to move it to, I can't properly file it. I seem to have to create new labels through with web UI for gmail. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this from the HUB. Is this the case? or am I missing something?

Also, I only keep the emails that I am currently working on with the "inbox" label. BlackBerry seems to remove the "inbox" label when you file an email. Is there a way to keep it in the inbox while also labeling the email with another tag? Or is that also something that has to be done via the web UI?

Both of these questions would help a lot if I had some clarification. To me, they currently seem like limitations of the HUB when going the route that is suggested in this thread.

Thanks!
    09-05-15 04:43 PM
    Is there a way to create a new folder/label from the device easily? Or do you have to do it from the web interface and wait for it to sync to the device?

I have used labels for quite some time, but normally don't label unimportant emails (ones that I don't want to delete, but they aren't overly important). Thus, I would just "archive" them. I'll try giving it a shot where I go and label every single email that comes in, will be a bit of a pain, but maybe it'll get easier over-time. One annoyance I am getting with this route is when I go to "file" an email, and say the label/folder doesn't exist that I am trying to move it to, I can't properly file it. I seem to have to create new labels through with web UI for gmail. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this from the HUB. Is this the case? or am I missing something?

Also, I only keep the emails that I am currently working on with the "inbox" label. BlackBerry seems to remove the "inbox" label when you file an email. Is there a way to keep it in the inbox while also labeling the email with another tag? Or is that also something that has to be done via the web UI?

Both of these questions would help a lot if I had some clarification. To me, they currently seem like limitations of the HUB when going the route that is suggested in this thread.

Thanks!
    You have to set up a new folder in Gmail.
    The reason for this is the Hub isn't Gmail. I could see that being a limitation if the Hub was made specifically for Gmail, or if they claimed it as a Gmail program, but neither is the case.
    You'll have to put those emails you're working on in a different folder if you wish to file them. They will stay in your inbox if you don't file them however.

09-05-15 04:54 PM
    Well if they should accommodate Google just because they are popular then I want Windows Start menu on my BlackBerry, since Windows is so popular. Of course this is a ridiculous request, but it doesn't stop others from thinking they should have everything on everything whenever they want it.

OK. Lol. Well BlackBerry already supported it and removed it because the metaphor does not feel right. That being deleting something in order to archive it.

But adding a button that says archive to all mail in the hub would obviously be trivial since it is the same exact code presented differently. Whereas adding a Windows Start menu to BlackBerry 10 would not be trivial at all.

Not to mention that BlackBerry should be courting Gmail users with good service interoperability. They can't afford to loose users at this point.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    abass likes this.
    09-05-15 04:54 PM
    OK. Lol. Well BlackBerry already supported it and removed it because the metaphor does not feel right. That being deleting something in order to archive it.

But adding a button that says archive to all mail in the hub would obviously be trivial since it is the same exact code presented differently. Whereas adding a Windows Start menu to BlackBerry 10 would not be trivial at all.

Not to mention that BlackBerry should be courting Gmail users with good service interoperability. They can't afford to loose users at this point.

I disagree, BlackBerry should be catering to BlackBerry users and Google users should go get an android and stop trying to force the world to conform to google.

09-05-15 04:58 PM
    I think it's been said on this thread already, you can't please everyone.
    Absolutely. BlackBerry takes this to heart. They only seem to be able to please less than 1% of the world's smartphone buyers at this point. Good strategy. Eff the whining demanding customers.

abass likes this.
    09-05-15 04:58 PM
    You have to set up a new folder in Gmail.
    The reason for this is the Hub isn't Gmail. I could see that being a limitation if the Hub was made specifically for Gmail, or if they claimed it as a Gmail program, but neither is the case.
    You'll have to put those emails you're working on in a different folder if you wish to file them. They will stay in your inbox if you don't file them however.
    Actually you can create new Gmail folders from the BB10 hub just like you would do it on any other mail account configured in the hub.

To do it just go to the hub and open the folder list by touching the arrow down button in the title bar (second symbol from the right). Than in the folder list long press the Gmail top level folder (or any Gmail sub folder you already have). This will bring up the context menu on the right side will where you will see the option to add another folder.
    09-05-15 05:04 PM
    Actually you can create new Gmail folders from the BB10 hub just like you would do it on any other mail account configured in the hub.

To do it just go to the hub and open the folder list by touching the arrow down button in the title bar (second symbol from the right). Than in the folder list long press the Gmail top level folder (or any Gmail sub folder you already have). This will bring up the context menu on the right side will where you will see the option to add another folder.
    I did not know that. Thanks.

09-05-15 05:11 PM
    Absolutely. BlackBerry takes this to heart. They only seem to be able to please less than 1% of the world's smartphone buyers at this point. Good strategy. Eff the whining demanding customers.

There is only one reason BlackBerry isn't selling and it has nothing to do with apps or an all mail folder for Google, that reason is no marketing. They don't market their phones and like any product if you don't advertise people won't buy, because they don't know about it. You saying that if they cater to the whiny ppl who actually did buy their phones that more people will buy is pointless when they don't advertise what they have in the first place. Those that are that whiny and fussy won't like their nonGoogle phone regardless of BlackBerry adding in a small google feature here and there. They want full blown Google Android on a BlackBerry which is just absurd.

HabsFan9860 likes this.
    09-05-15 05:20 PM

Ah, thank you! Never knew that. They definitely did not make that obvious. I guess at the end of the day, press and long-hold everything in the OS because there's probably hidden settings

Really appreciate the response. Makes label/folder management much easier now. Cheers!
    09-05-15 05:25 PM
    Exactly. I don't agree that delete should act as archive like the OP.
    No, with all due respect I already stated to the contrary therewith. I don't think delete should archive. I just *personally* was glad my emails weren't being truly deleted as I do utilize the archive functionality constantly. So, as one person said, I built my work-flow around that inconsistency.

Now that BlackBerry has removed that inconsistency, I have two main choices:

1. Tell Hub to only delete from Hub and deal with mail filing and deleting/archiving on Gmail itself. Too inconvenient.

2. Create a new label in Gmail called "Archive on BlackBerry" and map Trash to that on the BlackBerry. This would be my choice of work-around.

But contrary to what some are saying, not naming names, syncing all folders isn't the same as having All Mail truly available. If it was available, I could map that to the Trash action and this trouble would be solved. The whole problem is two-fold: there is no All Mail visible, and there is no archive functionality of course, so therefore, we must come up with work-arounds, hence options 1 and 2 above.

I am currently using my Nexus 5 as my primary device, but if/when I switch to my Z30 again, I would utilize #2. Though, by that time maybe BlackBerry will find a way to have All Mail visible as a folder itself (I know it is not technically a folder, that's besides the point).

I don't expect BlackBerry to support archiving itself as a function since that is Gmail specific and they shouldn't have to. On a separate note, doesn't Microsoft mail have an archive too, though?

Anyway, I don't intend to argue whether or not this is an issue anymore. I do want to say that this isn't a reason in itself why I moved more towards Android. The reason therewith being I'm tired of the uncertainty with BlackBerry. But that is beside the point. I just want to address some of the negativity this has picked up. Many people don't even utilize Gmail, and those who do, may not archive, but it is something I have always done. May it be utilized by Google to further track me? Sure. But is it also useful to never delete especially since things in writing are concrete...perhaps. It is my personal preference. I never delete emails. Other than spam.

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic BlackBerry Z30
    09-05-15 06:45 PM
    All this would be negated if BlackBerry just continued giving out their own emails like they did back in the day.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 07:30 PM
    There is only one reason BlackBerry isn't selling and it has nothing to do with apps or an all mail folder for Google, that reason is no marketing.
    Interesting. So then I have owned probably 8-10 BlackBerry phones and the PlayBook. Showed them all off to my friends and coworkers over the years. So there you go, one to one marketing that's better than anything BlackBerry could ever do with an ad. So you'd think at least ONE of those oh.... 20-30 people would have bought at least one measly BlackBerry. Nope. Every single person I know has iPhones and Android phones.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-05-15 09:05 PM
    You saying that if they cater to the whiny ppl who actually did buy their phones that more people will buy is pointless when they don't advertise what they have in the first place.
    No I am not. I am saying a LOT of current BlackBerry phone users use Gmail. Just look through CrackBerry threads and you can see that. So it has been in BlackBerry's interest to keep those folks on BlackBerry. But... they haven't done that. We've seen the worldwide BlackBerry marketshare erode.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-05-15 09:09 PM

I think BlackBerry understand this, even if some of it's enthusiasts do not.
    09-05-15 09:23 PM

Thanks!
    Yes. Long press on a message or thread you want to file to the new folder and select file, or just select file from triage. Long press on the Inbox folder, or other folder where you want to create a new one, and select add folder.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    09-05-15 09:37 PM
    Yes. Long press on a message or thread you want to file to the new folder and select file, or just select file from triage. Long press on the Inbox folder, or other folder where you want to create a new one, and select add folder.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    This unfortunately does not work if you have an account added via Google Apps for Work through the Exchange option. It just comes up with an error "Folder Management is not supported for this account". It only works if you have an @gmail.com account or if you added it via the @gmail.com option from what I can see. What a shame. 3 of my 4 accounts are GAFW. My school, work, and business personal accounts are all GAFW. Meh :/
    09-05-15 10:16 PM
    There is only one reason BlackBerry isn't selling and it has nothing to do with apps or an all mail folder for Google, that reason is no marketing. They don't market their phones and like any product if you don't advertise people won't buy, because they don't know about it. You saying that if they cater to the whiny ppl who actually did buy their phones that more people will buy is pointless when they don't advertise what they have in the first place. Those that are that whiny and fussy won't like their nonGoogle phone regardless of BlackBerry adding in a small google feature here and there. They want full blown Google Android on a BlackBerry which is just absurd.

What strange land do you live in?
    09-05-15 10:23 PM
    What strange land do you live in?
    USA

09-05-15 10:29 PM
    USA

Doesn't really matter. What I meant was those things you mention are not the reason they don't sell.
    09-05-15 10:41 PM
    Doesn't really matter. What I meant was those things you mention are not the reason they don't sell.
    lmao. Lack of marketing? It was the only reason I gave. Well let's see, when I'm forced watching a TV I usually see at least one samsung and one iphone commercial, at least one and I don't watch TV a lot but there they are every time. I see iphone and Samsung billboards, posters on Carriers windows... I have yet to see a BlackBerry commercial or billboard. Americans are big time brainwashed idiots who buy what they are told to. BlackBerry isn't telling them to buy a BlackBerry so they aren't. Apple and Samsung are telling people to buy their phones and they are. So I'm sticking to lack of marketing as the reason.

09-05-15 10:57 PM
    lmao. Lack of marketing? It was the only reason I gave. Well let's see, when I'm forced watching a TV I usually see at least one samsung and one iphone commercial, at least one and I don't watch TV a lot but there they are every time. I see iphone and Samsung billboards, posters on Carriers windows... I have yet to see a BlackBerry commercial or billboard. Americans are big time brainwashed idiots who buy what they are told to. BlackBerry isn't telling them to buy a BlackBerry so they aren't. Apple and Samsung are telling people to buy their phones and they are. So I'm sticking to lack of marketing as the reason.
    Nah. Too simplistic. And folks are not nearly as dumb as you think.

You can't fool folks over the long haul. You have to have a product that backs up the marketing. BlackBerry doesn't have that, and that's why it's leaching customers. Americans, Asians, Africans, even Canadians. They aren't falling victim to a mysterious brainwashing virus; they are finding platforms that do more.

It isn't about just OS or hardware anymore. The successful players have entire, diversified systems. Marketing doesn't hide an inferior offering forever, or make people come back.
    kbz1960 and cbvinh like this.
    09-05-15 11:22 PM
    Nah. Too simplistic. And folks are not nearly as dumb as you think.

You can't fool folks over the long haul. You have to have a product that backs up the marketing. BlackBerry doesn't have that, and that's why it's leaching customers. Americans, Asians, Africans, even Canadians. They aren't falling victim to a mysterious brainwashing virus; they are finding platforms that do more.

It isn't about just OS or hardware anymore. The successful players have entire, diversified systems. Marketing doesn't hide an inferior offering forever, or make people come back.
    I beg to differ ppl are as stupid as I think, having dealt with the millions of brainwashed Americans who still believe there's a two party government and the USA isn't an oligarchy even after they tell them it is.
    Also given the fact that the government has done extensive research into mind control over the past 6 decades and have installed subliminal messages into TV, radio and media for decades to make people purchase what they want them to, or believe what they need them to. Also given the fact that marketing has been researched to exhaustion and they train people on how to make people buy a certain a product. Don't forget Americans spend an average of 8 hours a day staring into a TV.

Now you continue on with marketing wouldn't help because BlackBerry doesn't have the best tool that people want... that's your opinion I guess. My opinion is Android sucks balls but Google knows how to market, advertising, price variations, having their OS on a multitude of different devices. BlackBerry has yet to try to win over the market. You can't release a product and not tell anyone and expect to get it noticed. That's marketing failure 101.

09-06-15 12:45 AM
254 ... 678910 ...