My understanding of what the OP wants is this:

He wants Delete on Hub Only functionality, but at some later date, he wants to be able to tell the Hub to display all emails again so that he can search through them all. It's like Delete on Hub Only is a filter that's always On until he wants to see everything again.
    You're overcomplicating it. The OP wants to be able to Archive mail (ie moves out of Inbox and files to All Mail). Under the original BB10 implementation, deleting a message would do just that.

With the new functionality, delete actually deletes the message. There's now no way to simply archive (ie file) a message to All Mail since the All Mail folder/label isn't available under BB10.
    southlander and nah.uhh like this.
    09-03-15 11:56 PM
    You're overcomplicating it. The OP wants to be able to Archive mail (ie moves out of Inbox and files to All Mail). Under the original BB10 implementation, deleting a message would do just that.

With the new functionality, delete actually deletes the message. There's now no way to simply archive (ie file) a message to All Mail since the All Mail folder/label isn't available under BB10.
    But what we don't get, is that "All mail" shows ALL email, regardless of label. So whether the email is in "Archive" or "All mail", is irrelevant, it will still show up in "All mail" in the web browser.
    09-04-15 12:01 AM

Can you go into your mail client and see if the "All mail" folder is doubling the size of your mailbox because it's a copy of all other emails? That is what I read, so it would be advised not to subscribe to this folder on a desktop client, unless you want double size mailbox.
    09-04-15 12:03 AM
    You should just move to Outlook Mail, Gmail is an inferior product.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 12:14 AM
    You're absolutely correct.

However, that doesn't excuse the need to create a work-around on BB10 to do what works properly on other mail clients.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    09-04-15 12:27 AM
    Can you go into your mail client and see if the "All mail" folder is doubling the size of your mailbox because it's a copy of all other emails? That is what I read, so it would be advised not to subscribe to this folder on a desktop client, unless you want double size mailbox.
    It's not doubling it. But you're right, it does replicate the contents of Inbox and Sent Mail. Doubling assumes that someone is labeling every single message. Many folks just have Inbox, All Mail and use search to find old messages.
    09-04-15 12:31 AM
    Just gonna add my 22 cents opinion, Gmail and all Web based emails are for teenagers I only have a Gmail account because of You Tube and for all the spam, just register a domain it's really not expensive choose whatever email you want and there you go, emails you can access from anywhere and emails that you can do with pretty much as you please. Does this excuse blackberry? No of course not.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    09-04-15 12:32 AM
    Hi all,

A new thread was in order, I felt, for impact, just in case any BlackBerry employee is scouting these forums and they have any ounce of customer care left in them. I finally heard back from the BlackBerry technical support department.

Several of you have now noticed that starting since one, maybe two updates ago, BlackBerry Hub is now actually deleting your Gmails -- Deleting as in throwing them in the "trash" which is usually not where Gmail users desire mail they are finished with. At least not non-spam mail.

It used to archive them to "all mail," and users who wanted true deleting could slightly tweak the Gmail Web settings to do so -- no big deal.

Well now, BlackBerry has stated that true deleting is the intended function and there is no work-around...

I rely on Gmail and archiving. I can't file to all mail - it is not even an option for a folder to sync, and it isn't an option to map that folder in the account settings for what delete does. You could try creating a new label and see if it would let you put mail there, but that's a whole convention to set and too much of a hassle.

Am I mad? Not really. Thank you BlackBerry for making my transition to Android full-time easier and more satisfying since you pulled the plug on BlackBerry 10 anyway. And will I buy your suites for Android or your Android phone? Not a chance in hell if you cannot even suit Gmail users properly. The Hub is great, don't get me wrong, but having it not work properly defeats the whole purpose of a more convenient inbox. I will stick to Android notifications plus "all inboxes" feature that their app has.

Wiedersehen!

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic BlackBerry Z30
    Rubbish rant.

There's nothing like an All Mail Folder.. it's just a label.

If u want your messages archived then set your delete option to Delete from Hub only or to at least prompt u when u select delete. That way it remains in your Gmail as a read email but no longer on your phone.

Dafuq was this useless rant about anyways? Are you a learner? Olodo!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    chopachain, lakes76 and gvs1341 like this.
    09-04-15 01:33 AM
    Pretty sure delete means delete. Yup that's the way I like it. Never liked the stupid archive idea in the first place.
    As far as I'm concerned BlackBerry is teaching Gmail how to handle email lol.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:49 AM
    But thanks for the duplicate thread for your added attention.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:49 AM
    Hi all,

A new thread was in order, I felt, for impact, just in case any BlackBerry employee is scouting these forums and they have any ounce of customer care left in them. I finally heard back from the BlackBerry technical support department.

Several of you have now noticed that starting since one, maybe two updates ago, BlackBerry Hub is now actually deleting your Gmails -- Deleting as in throwing them in the "trash" which is usually not where Gmail users desire mail they are finished with. At least not non-spam mail.

It used to archive them to "all mail," and users who wanted true deleting could slightly tweak the Gmail Web settings to do so -- no big deal.

Well now, BlackBerry has stated that true deleting is the intended function and there is no work-around...

I rely on Gmail and archiving. I can't file to all mail - it is not even an option for a folder to sync, and it isn't an option to map that folder in the account settings for what delete does. You could try creating a new label and see if it would let you put mail there, but that's a whole convention to set and too much of a hassle.

Am I mad? Not really. Thank you BlackBerry for making my transition to Android full-time easier and more satisfying since you pulled the plug on BlackBerry 10 anyway. And will I buy your suites for Android or your Android phone? Not a chance in hell if you cannot even suit Gmail users properly. The Hub is great, don't get me wrong, but having it not work properly defeats the whole purpose of a more convenient inbox. I will stick to Android notifications plus "all inboxes" feature that their app has.

Wiedersehen!

So when I use the delete action I choose both options, delete from hub and server

BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-img_20150904_122410.png

I then delete an email and it vanishes from my inbox as expected. However in the phone you are not able to see the mail and yes that a bit of a pain. However when you go to the browser in the phone and open your Gmail account, that mail is seen in the All Mail folder...

BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-img_20150904_122417.png

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 02:09 AM
    Four pages about broken Gmail experience yet no one mentioned how filtered email shows on lock screen but not in the hub unless you go to certain label to see it. Now that's broken experience .
    green_ember and dejanh like this.
    09-04-15 02:21 AM
    If you like the way Google does things, why would you not use Google tools? Chrome should be your browser, Android your mobile OS, etc. Get an Android phone and be happy, life is too short for angst over how email is filed, or in Google's case, labeled.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    Are you all on BlackCrack? I used to be one of BlackBerry's biggest supporters but I am so sick of what I am hearing that I'm ready to grab the garbage and puke, throwing my Z30 in it (which is in perfect condition by the way).

I don't know what's wrong with all of your reading comprehension skills. I hate to resort to insults but you are telling me to do something that isn't there. Look at the darn screenshot. I'm not complaining, I'm reporting a BROKEN system.

Let's get the facts straight:

1. Since launch, BlackBerry Hub compensated for lack of "all mail" access and archive option by making "delete" solely archive, since this is a) a key feature of Gmail and b) to not cause folks data loss.

2. BlackBerry suddenly, silently changed this behavior without warning. As far as I'm concerned, that is causing and has caused me loss of important email data I intended to save. That is no small issue. Why would anyone here defend that?!

3. BlackBerry has now offered no solution to archive messages. There so no option. You cannot file it properly. You cannot map it as all mail isn't a folder option. Other clients handle it right. If BlackBerry wants to be taken seriously, they should too.

It isn't a question of using a different tool. It's a question of fixing a major issue. Just because you are set in your mind that delete means delete and you don't want to take advantage of the virtually unlimited storage Google has - that's your prerogative. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't have that option. What I am saying is, I find it maddening beyond comprehension that you all so trivially dismiss my right to have the option the way I need it and many others do.

So, if at the end of this you still think I don't know you can file messages to other labels, or if you think that I think delete shouldn't mean delete for everyone, or lastly if you think I am complaining about something that isn't broken, would you kindly call Sullivan Learning Center and make an apportionment to improve your reading comprehension? Thank you.

EDIT: Screenshot added. Do you see archive as an option there? Whoever said that, not going to call you out, but forget reading comprehension man, you need your eyes checked.

Attachment 369719
    09-04-15 02:46 AM
    If I'm wrong, I apologize, just seems as though OP is confused on where the setting is.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, you are either confused at what the issue I describe really is, or you are just skimming too fast.

I can't wait to see BlackBerry's fail Android phone. The only Android phone with the crippled Hub that can't accommodate Gmail properly...on Android!

I'm sorry folks, when it comes to these forums I can only take so much blunt ignorance before I snap. I don't understand for the life of me what is so hard to understand about this. BlackBerry's silent change is causing people that don't know what is happening yet data loss. I would bet my life savings on that. 30 days in trash and Gmail wipes it for good.

09-04-15 02:59 AM
    Ok, so this is a ***** and whine thread, no request for help thread.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-04-15 03:13 AM
    This isn't proprietary in the least. It may be a Gmail-ism (for better or worst). Everything with a system label (ie [Gmail]) appears as a standard IMAP folder to any other email client. Look at your own example.

There's no more system burden in syncing this folder/label via IMAP than there is syncing any other. The burden on the mobile device will be based on volume/length of synchronization (ie 3, 30, 90, all days).
    OSX users went through this teething pain of supporting Gmail All Mail 2 years ago:
    How To Make Gmail and OS X Mavericks Play Well Together - The Mac Observer
    TidBITS: Mail in Mavericks Changes the Gmail Equation

Before Mavericks, the approach that worked best with Gmail accounts in Mail was to go into Gmail�s settings and prevent the All Mail label from being exposed to IMAP clients. All Mail is exactly what it sounds like � all your saved and sent messages, regardless of whether or how they�re labeled � and having All Mail enabled, prior to Mavericks, meant that Mail would download at least two copies of every message (one in All Mail and one each in a mailbox corresponding to any labels you applied in Gmail). That led to lots of duplicate messages, wasted disk space and bandwidth, and reduced performance. But hiding All Mail prevented the problem.
    To re-enable All Mail, log in to your Gmail account on Google�s Web site. Click the gear icon and choose Settings from the pop-up menu. Click Labels. Find All Mail (under System Labels, near the top) and select its Show in IMAP checkbox.

Now, here�s what�s going to happen. Mail � despite the fact that it has already cached all your Gmail messages � will download all of them again. For me, with about 321,000 messages totaling over 4 GB, that took nearly two full days, even with a super-fast Internet connection.
    Gee, I wonder why people have worse performance problems than others... This should be looked into.

"All Mail" wasn't supported prior to that update and had to be disabled after support was added officially by Apple. After the update, you HAD to enable it. Apple didn't do it automatically, nor informed people and made the transition painful. I think the numbers might be inverse for BlackBerry's transition of All Mail handling than Apple's (hehe).

I'll repeat. This is intentional hassle added on Gmail's part to keep users on the Google ecosystem. Their service depends on you coming to their web interface to use their product and use Android! Labeling on their system helps storage space for Google, they only store one copy. Everyone else following imap duplicates space, unless a kludge is implemented to track the duplicates, which uses memory and cpu to track. There shouldn't be 100% anger at BlackBerry for something Google caused full knowingly they were going to break clients and doesn't work with the competition to ensure a smooth experience. It looks like Apple had to reverse engineer their kludge implementation themselves, and took them years to implement to a less than stellar release.
    09-04-15 03:47 AM
    Tried changing some settings?
    BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-qfytesz.png
    diegonei and gvs1341 like this.
    09-04-15 03:55 AM
    Is this guy for real? I have no problems and using 3 gmail account for different things. My guess move to the Android side and use gmail app or download the gmail app for your BB10. I using OS 10.3.2.2669
    09-04-15 05:00 AM
    Is this guy for real? I have no problems and using 3 gmail account for different things. My guess move to the Android side and use gmail app or download the gmail app for your BB10. I using OS 10.3.2.2669
    Probably not, I think he just wanted to ***** and came up with the lamest excuse yet for why BlackBerry sucks as for his reason for leaving.

This is another I hate BlackBerry and I'm leaving thread. All because his Gmail doesn't show a label called All Mail lmfao. ****ing Google shills are ridiculous with this **** now.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    diegonei likes this.
    09-04-15 06:41 AM
    Probably not, I think he just wanted to ***** and came up with the lamest excuse yet for why BlackBerry sucks as for his reason for leaving.

This is another I hate BlackBerry and I'm leaving thread. All because his Gmail doesn't show a label called All Mail lmfao. ****ing Google shills are ridiculous with this **** now.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    I'm a certified teacher, let me help you increase your reading comprehension skills.

nah.uhh likes this.
    09-04-15 07:23 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-img_20150904_020044.png

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 07:49 AM
    OSX users went through this teething pain of supporting Gmail All Mail 2 years ago:
    How To Make Gmail and OS X Mavericks Play Well Together - The Mac Observer
    TidBITS: Mail in Mavericks Changes the Gmail Equation

Gee, I wonder why people have worse performance problems than others... This should be looked into.

"All Mail" wasn't supported prior to that update and had to be disabled after support was added officially by Apple. After the update, you HAD to enable it. Apple didn't do it automatically, nor informed people and made the transition painful. I think the numbers might be inverse for BlackBerry's transition of All Mail handling than Apple's (hehe).

I'll repeat. This is intentional hassle added on Gmail's part to keep users on the Google ecosystem. Their service depends on you coming to their web interface to use their product and use Android! Labeling on their system helps storage space for Google, they only store one copy. Everyone else following imap duplicates space, unless a kludge is implemented to track the duplicates, which uses memory and cpu to track. There shouldn't be 100% anger at BlackBerry for something Google caused full knowingly they were going to break clients and doesn't work with the competition to ensure a smooth experience. It looks like Apple had to reverse engineer their kludge implementation themselves, and took them years to implement to a less than stellar release.
    Great, you found the article that tells people to stop using the pre-Maverick instructions.

You also point out that Apple gave their users what they wanted and provided an option to change the behavior.

And then toss in your own assumptions about how using this setting negatively affects performance (speaking from experience an only for myself, it doesn't - but it does chew up space - which is okay for me, I have it to spare).

None of which is really relevant, but whatever.

How about some more data points? iOS native mail app, Boxer, Outlook on Android and iOS, BlueMail, Samsung's mail app, HTC's mail app, etc.

You know what all of those programs do that BB10 has never done? Handle All Mail, Archiving and Deleting Gmail messages properly.

But hey, let's stick our head in the sand, pretend there's no issue and vilify community members who raise concerns.
    09-04-15 08:03 AM
    I don't fully agree with op since delete should work as delete. I think that what he want BlackBerry to integrate is that you should be able to archive from the Hub too.

What I hated since the first day I switched from OS 7 was that in os 7 even if you had something auto archive is showed in the inbox until read. It was annoying but was convenient. Now if it auto archives it never even shows in the hub.

That would not be an issue if BlackBerry would implement that the labels would show the amount not read. Now even with sync on it does not show the amount not read and it does not even show in the hub if it is set to auto archive.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:26 AM
    Mine works just fine
    09-04-15 08:43 AM
    It doesn't matter that All Mail is a Gmail thing. What matters is that as a Gmail IMAP client BB10 Hub is broken. Pick another IMAP mail client whether it's on your desktop, Android or iOS and All Mail will show up.

Coming up with workarounds (file to a different folder) or telling users to go somewhere else does not change the fact that the BB10 implementation is broken.

Maybe if we expected better from BlackBerry instead of always making excuses for them, we'd have a better product and a more successful company.
    As does a bunch of other junk I don't use. That is why the only place I deal with Gmail is on my BlackBerry. In my opinion the way Gmail handles mail is broken, all mail is broken on top of that. I'm not making excuses for BlackBerry. I appreciate that I have a tool that is designed to provide a consistent UX across all the different email accounts I'm required to use.

I understand why you don't like it, but there is a solution for you, and you already know what it is. Who could possibly provide you a better Gmail experience than Google on Android.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    BCITMike likes this.
    09-04-15 08:48 AM
254 12345 ...