And finally, the "it's fine for me!" bubble of myopia. You don't use cloud storage/backup/documents, enterprise MDM, instant messaging, or social media. Having fun on a phone is verboten. Your mobile communication makes no difference whether it's a Q10 or a 5810. Good for you. Great job. But since you're still here, you're more than likely one of these folks. You're the king of individuality, or you live in the woods and mail pipe bombs to people, or you have anterograde amnesia since 2009. Whatever it is, BB10 provides just the right mix of pre-installed apps (indolence), up to date security (where in the world is 10.3.4?), and hipster iconoclast cachet (OK I'll give you that one). That might work for you, but you're one person.
    I'm so damn tired of Apple's "new OS and new hardware every year" which often kills large amount of previous working apps etc. so i'm like "nah" and instead gonna support "dead" or dead platforms. I'm so hipster? Whatever.
    02-13-17 12:14 PM
    money and numbers .... alliance between the two who owns money and numbers = almost untouchable ... the rest is pushed out literally, not to mention the joke of privacy and data ....no chemtrails, if ever the story of monsanto and novartis like many other stories... then yes, It has always been a gray area and always will be.
    02-13-17 04:50 PM
    Google is Skynet!
    The sky is falling!
    Repent, the end is near!
    We're doomed!!

...NOT!
    Google isn't skynet. Yet.

The sky is never falling until it has fallen.
    02-13-17 08:27 PM
    Google isn't skynet. Yet.

The sky is never falling until it has fallen.

So. True. Remember when people thought Enron was an awesome company too?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 09:20 PM
    No, it's pretty black and white, win or lose. There are always lawyers willing to take money and submit a case. The courts are bottle-necked with them. Eventually one may even find a sympathetic judge, and have to win on appeal. Were there loser pays laws, I doubt you'd see the legal system in the mess it's in.
    You guys have no idea. You don't even know what you don't know.

The most likely anti-trust actions at this point would come from a state AG's office, the Justice Dept. or the EU.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 09:23 PM
    There is no gray area. None. Nada. You know why? Because another mobile OS exists, independent of google, on which almost every A-list app is also available. There's no antitrust because developers have a choice of platforms to code for, and they choose freely to code for the two which will provide the best return on investment. Just as they have chosen freely to NOT code or update their software on platforms that failed.

Unlike the Microsoft and Intel cases, I'm pretty sure that so far not one single developer has spoken up and said they were strongarmed into not supporting BlackBerry. Nor were they given special discounts for not supporting BlackBerry.

Now if you can prove (and you can't, nor will anyone ever) that google and Apple conspired together to push everyone out of the market, then you'd have collusion. But there is no antitrust because a competitive market already exists.

But anyway, enough with common sense. Back to the grand Google shadow government conspiracy! Now with 100% more crop circles and chemtrails!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    You should not talk authoritatively about things you don't know about. Microsoft was declared to be a monopoly in 1999. I'm pretty sure Apple had an OS in 1999. So the existence of one other option does not dispose of the question.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 09:26 PM
    You should not talk authoritatively about things you don't know about. Microsoft was declared to be a monopoly in 1999. I'm pretty sure Apple had an OS in 1999. So the existence of one other option does not dispose of the question.

Posted via CB10
    And the result of that declaration was what? Basically nothing.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-13-17 09:48 PM
    So. True. Remember when people thought Enron was an awesome company too?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know that anyone thinks any corporation (Microsoft, Apple, Google, BlackBerry) is "awesome."

They're corporations. They exist to make money. Off me.

Some do it better than others, but I am not under the impression that BlackBerry is more concerned about my well-being than anyone else.
    BigBadWulf and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-13-17 10:11 PM
    And the result of that declaration was what? Basically nothing.
    They settled out of court as to the remedies, but that was not the point was it?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 11:34 PM
    It's not that nobody wants BB10 (even though I sometimes generalize and say those words myself). It's that there aren't enough to generate sales that will make it worth anyone's time.

Hey, if Blackberry does manage to convince a 3rd party to license BB10 and make a new phone, I'm all for it! But the odds are slim to none, because the software support outside of what is bundled with the OS is really really bad. Security is important, yes, but with good enterprise management tools, even IOS and Android can be locked thdown.
    Blackberry have sold the brand for devices to TCL. This is the reason why they change their name to blackberry software. By saying "sold" I mean they conceide the name(for some advantages) to TCL tha's now own the device developpment an destiny.

So if you want to talk about next devices to come you better have a clue about if someone from TCL-Alcatel is listening you.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 11:43 PM
    I don't know that anyone thinks any corporation (Microsoft, Apple, Google, BlackBerry) is "awesome."

They're corporations. They exist to make money. Off me.

Some do it better than others, but I am not under the impression that BlackBerry is more concerned about my well-being than anyone else.
    Lots of people thought Enron was "awesome" for the very reasons you mention.....making money. Enron was rated the most innovative large company in America in Fortune's Most Admired Companies survey.

Turns out they were a bunch of crooks.

All that glitters is not gold.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 11:52 PM
    Blackberry have sold the brand for devices to TCL. This is the reason why they change their name to blackberry software. By saying "sold" I mean they conceide the name(for some advantages) to TCL tha's now own the device developpment an destiny.

So if you want to talk about next devices to come you better have a clue about if someone from TCL-Alcatel is listening you.

Posted via CB10
    I think he was referring to BB10 devices.
    02-13-17 11:55 PM
    Lots of people thought Enron was "awesome" for the very reasons you mention.....making money. Enron was rated the most innovative large company in America in Fortune's Most Admired Companies survey.

Turns out they were a bunch of crooks.

All that glitters is not gold.
    Trust me, anyone who doesn't have an understanding of corporate America after the 90s and 00s almost deserves what they get. Almost.

I don't think most people here are as smitten with Google as you think. I am Google's product... but I was the same to BBRY. Information is the new currency, and I work hard to keep my output at a minimum.
    Thud Hardsmack and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-13-17 11:59 PM
    Trust me, anyone who doesn't have an understanding of corporate America after the 90s and 00s almost deserves what they get. Almost.

I don't think most people here are as smitten with Google as you think. I am Google's product... but I was the same to BBRY. Information is the new currency, and I work hard to keep my output at a minimum.
    I don't think that you really believe BlackBerry treated your data the same way Google does. How can you really believe this? Google's business model is brand new. I don't think anyone but dystopian science fiction writers thought of it.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 01:06 AM
    I don't think that you really believe BlackBerry treated your data the same way Google does. How can you really believe this? Google's business model is brand new. I don't think anyone but dystopian science fiction writers thought of it.

Posted via CB10
    One thing I am sure of: BlackBerry collects data.

Some folks have a sliding scale of guilt assignation. I treat them all the same. I refuse to give BBRY credit for, what is in essence, ineptitude. BlackBerry is a corporation, and it will do what is allowed to make money for is shareholders (as it is supposed to).

Some folks trust the one more than the other. I simply treat every corporation the same. I go to great lengths to protect my privacy on BB10, Android, iOS and WinPhone, because I expect corporate entities to act like corporate entities.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-14-17 01:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    They do exactly what Google does - improve products and services for themselves plus their users.

Excerpt from the BlackBerry Privacy Policy:

2. BlackBerry’s purposes for using your personal information

When you use a BlackBerry Offering, correspond with BlackBerry, enter a contest sponsored by BlackBerry or otherwise interact with BlackBerry, BlackBerry may process your personal information for the following purposes:

• to understand and meet your needs and preferences, and to provide you with BlackBerry Offerings, e.g.:
      • for purposes related to the billing, activation, provision, maintenance, support, trouble shooting, resolving of disputes, deactivation, repair, refurbishment, replacement, upgrade or update of BlackBerry Offerings;
      • to ensure BlackBerry Offerings are technically functioning as intended and to help identify and troubleshoot issues;
      • to fulfill or enforce Notices applicable to a BlackBerry Offering;
      • to manage or respond to your inquiries;

• to develop new and enhance existing BlackBerry Offerings including to communicate with you about them using various means, e.g. to make available or send to you:
      • upgrades or updates, or notices of upgrades or updates of BlackBerry Offerings or third party content or related products, services and software;
      • notices of promotions and upcoming events;

• to manage and develop our business and operations, e.g.:
      • to detect, monitor, investigate, mitigate or attempt to prevent fraud and technical or security issues or to protect BlackBerry property;
      • to allow for business continuity and disaster recovery operations;
      • to enforce BlackBerry’s legal rights;
      • for statistical purposes;

• to meet legal and regulatory requirements and to respond to emergency situations, e.g.:
      • to respond to court orders, warrants or other lawful requests or legal processes;
      • to provide emergency assistance in situations that may threaten the life or physical safety of you or others; or

• for any other purposes for which you have consented, such as those that may be set out in Notices, and other purposes as permitted or required by any applicable law.

BlackBerry Privacy Policy

Google Privacy Policy
    StephanieMaks and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-14-17 02:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Things I don't know about? Dude I've been following technology since the day I fist connected to the internet with a 14.4 modem. Don't tell me what I don't know about unless you've been sharing my underwear.

Microsoft was a witch hunt, pure and simple. Consumers didn't even care about the crap that lawsuit was about. Anyone who wanted another browser would just go to Netscape's website and download it. That's what I did. The government made some money, MS had to offer an option to delete the IE icon off the desktop through Add/Remove Programs. Practically nothing else changed. Big, dang, whoop.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 02-14-17 at 08:19 AM. Reason: language
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-14-17 07:22 AM
    Things I don't know about? Dude I've been following technology since the day I fist connected to the internet with a 14.4 modem. Don't tell me what I don't know about unless you've been sharing my underwear.

Microsoft was a witch hunt, pure and simple. Consumers didn't even care about the crap that lawsuit was about. Anyone who wanted another browser would just go to Netscape's website and download it. That's what I did. The government made some money, MS had to offer an option to delete the IE icon off the desktop through Add/Remove Programs. Practically nothing else changed. Big, dang, whoop.
    Context is everything

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 07:35 AM
    They do exactly what Google does - improve products and services for themselves plus their users.

Excerpt from the BlackBerry Privacy Policy:

BlackBerry Privacy Policy

Google Privacy Policy
    Did you read that? That does not give them the authority to do what Google does in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 11:38 AM
    Did you read that? That does not give them the authority to do what Google does in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    That gives them explicit authority, as well as Google's. However, they lack the controls Google provides their users.
    02-14-17 11:40 AM

Dude, I didn't claim that the antitrust lawsuit was a home run for the Justice Dept. My point was that a company does not need to be the only player in a market to legally be deemed a monopoly contrary to your understanding.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 11:45 AM
    Dude, I didn't claim that the antitrust lawsuit was a home run for the Justice Dept. My point was that a company does not need to be the only player in a market to legally be deemed a monopoly contrary to your understanding.

Posted via CB10
    They weren't deemed a monopoly. They settled out of court which merely involved them disclosing their API's for five years along with appointing a 3-person panel with full access to ensure compliance for the duration.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-14-17 11:54 AM
    They weren't deemed a monopoly. They settled out of court which merely involved them disclosing their API's for five years along with appointing a 3-person panel with full access to ensure compliance for the duration.
    Dude, from Wikipedia:

"Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Notes, RealNetworks, Linux, and others."

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 11:59 AM
    Dude, from Wikipedia:

"Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Notes, RealNetworks, Linux, and others."

Posted via CB10
    Dude, from United States v. Microsoft(pdf):

On November 2, 2001, the DOJ reached an agreement with Microsoft to settle the case. The proposed settlement required Microsoft to share its application programming interfaces with third-party companies and appoint a panel of three people who will have full access to Microsoft's systems, records, and source code for five years in order to ensure compliance.
    02-14-17 12:08 PM
    So what? Didn't I say they settled to avoid litigating the remedy? The judge determined that Microsoft acted as a monopoly.

It is possible to be declared a monopoly even with other players in your market. So some people should not act like they are authorities on antitrust law.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 01:35 PM
368 ... 12131415