I have spoken in general and in particular. In both cases, the argument is on topic. And...the truth sometimes can hurts.

Posted via CB10
    The truth is every big business started as a small business, and none of this discussion is relevant to the topic. Stay on topic!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-08-17 07:26 AM
    The multinationals era and big corporations has eaten almost completely what you call "small business".. and the process is well under way .... but let's stay on topic like you want.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 07:55 AM
    The multinationals era and big corporations has eaten almost completely what you call "small business".. and the process is well under way .... but let's stay on topic like you want.

Posted via CB10
    Small businesses make up: 99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms, 64 percent of net new private-sector jobs, 49.2 percent of private-sector employment, 42.9 percent of private-sector payroll, 46 percent of private-sector output, 43 percent of high-tech employment, 98 percent of firms exporting goods, and 33 percent of exporting value.

In 2010 there were 27.9 million small businesses, and 18,500 firms with 500 employees or more. Over three-quarters of small businesses were nonemployers; this number has trended up over the past decade, while employers have been relatively flat.
    02-08-17 08:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has gobbled up a lot of smaller businesses along the way. Your argument makes as much sense, as believing BB10 has a serious future on smartphones. Android is but a few tweaks away from being indistinguishable from BB10, which is BlackBerry's objective. BB10's future is Android.
    02-08-17 08:17 AM
    It is great that a BB10 is good enough for you (now) but there are few buyers for such a device. Your el cheapo Android can do all of the above and more.
    I think we all understand that there isn't a viable market for BB10, but that really doesn't matter to me. So long as I have what I want, and don't expect anything more than maintenance of the OS, why should I care about the rest of the mobile market. Let everyone else spend $1,000s on multiple iOS and Android phones. I have spent $450 across the past four years and might make it for 5-6 years with a single rock-solid device (if one doesn't mind the battery limitations of my Z10).

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    02-08-17 08:33 AM
    right: off topic.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by blackbp; 02-08-17 at 09:41 AM.
    02-08-17 08:59 AM
    Small and medium size entities use licensing (the licensor is a big corporation) for survive and establishing a foothold in overseas markets. And not to mention the franchising...and so on..small and medium size entities here in europe are dead walking without any strategies of licensing. May be you mean the small businesses entities by name not considering them part of a corporation...So even the single shop selling toys can be considered a small business, but often even that is forced to become part of a corporation, paying to survive with it's little name within a bigger name...but still figuring a small business in terms of employers firms etc...

Posted via CB10
    And this has what to with the future of BB10? Stay on topic.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 09:34 AM
    It's not what they say they do, it is what they actually do. From what I've seen so far for bb10 they are not committed to this OS at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 09:39 AM
    It's not what they say they do, it is what they actually do. From what I've seen so far for bb10 they are not committed to this OS at all.

Posted via CB10
    Do you say this as you are downloading 10.3.3.2205?
    02-08-17 09:44 AM
    we already know that sooner or later bb10 goes eol
    02-08-17 09:48 AM
    Do you say this as you are downloading 10.3.3.2205?
    While I usually agree with you, this update is not meaningful to the average user. There are bugs and built-in apps that need updates which we will not get.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 10:48 AM
    While I usually agree with you, this update is not meaningful to the average user. There are bugs and built-in apps that need updates which we will not get.

Posted via CB10
    I know. I was just joking around.

That said, the people BlackBerry directs BB10 to currently, have use for the enhanced certificates and NIAP certifications.
    02-08-17 10:51 AM
    I know. I was just joking around.

That said, the people BlackBerry directs BB10 to currently, have use for the enhanced certificates and NIAP certifications.
    I can't argue with that--I realize the certifications are probably important and keep these phones in the hands of those that require such certifications just a bit longer.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 02:17 PM
    What do you do on your phone? I can't do most of my work on a phone.

And he never said he just shopped.

Posted via CB10
    I do slide presentations with zoom-in when I need to show detail, better than on my Mac.

I do 1- hour or 2-hour long slide presentations 4-5 days per week on my Passport. Everytime I do that to a large audience, several people come to me after the talk to ask me what phone can do all of that!

I organize my files as if I were on a Linux workstation.
    I send files back and forth to my Linux workstation and seamlessly attach and detach them to and from emails.

I often edit and and correct papers and theses on my phone when I am travelling. No need to carry a laptop with me when hiking or riding a train, especially while standing in a train in Japan.

I edit text and slides. I edit and read most of my emails.
    I watch/listen to TV news live while doing other work on the phone.
    It's more efficient than doing it on a Mac or workstation.

I do all of that without having to register with Google or Apple or Microsoft and allow them to spam me with ads and datamine the heck out of me and put my data on US servers where an all-powerful, unchecked and uncontrollable president can decide whatever he pleases about it.

For real work, I use a Linux workstation. Android, Windows, Macs are useless for real work for me: they miss the integrated circuit design app ;-)

Even email is a work distraction, but I have to live with it.

In other words, I use my Passport for mobile computing, not just to make phonecalls or surf the Web, or shop occasionally (all of which I do on the Passport without missing anything). And, yes, I don't play games and don't do social media. I feel no need for either.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 01:56 PM
    The truth is every big business started as a small business, and none of this discussion is relevant to the topic. Stay on topic!
    It's very relevant to the topic.
    It's about achieving monopoly positions. That's what we have now.
    If Google wouldn't be arm twisting then you would have bb10 with the latest android runtime (I don't need it but some do) and with the users having the capacity to decide permissions to all apps, including those of Google and BlackBerry, and also deciding if they wanted to pay with cash or with data for Google services.
    But Google and most companies and app developers copying their approach would have none of that. They want you to register with a web account, give them your mother's maiden name and your dog's name so that they "can better serve you and verify the correct operation of their own software". They don't want your money, your data is much more valuable.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 02:13 PM
    I do slide presentations with zoom-in when I need to show detail, better than on my Mac.

I do 1- hour or 2-hour long slide presentations 4-5 days per week on my Passport. Everytime I do that to a large audience, several people come to me after the talk to ask me what phone can do all of that!

I organize my files as if I were on a Linux workstation.
    I send files back and forth to my Linux workstation and seamlessly attach and detach them to and from emails.

I often edit and and correct papers and theses on my phone when I am travelling. No need to carry a laptop with me when hiking or riding a train, especially while standing in a train in Japan.

I edit text and slides. I edit and read most of my emails.
    I watch/listen to TV news live while doing other work on the phone.
    It's more efficient than doing it on a Mac or workstation.

I do all of that without having to register with Google or Apple or Microsoft and allow them to spam me with ads and datamine the heck out of me and put my data on US servers where an all-powerful, unchecked and uncontrollable president can decide whatever he pleases about it.

For real work, I use a Linux workstation. Android, Windows, Macs are useless for real work for me: they miss the integrated circuit design app ;-)

Even email is a work distraction, but I have to live with it.

In other words, I use my Passport for mobile computing, not just to make phonecalls or surf the Web, or shop occasionally (all of which I do on the Passport without missing anything). And, yes, I don't play games and don't do social media. I feel no need for either.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome for you. I prefer preparing slides on my computer. And I can't analyze data on my phone. But that is awesome that you get so much out of your phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 03:08 PM
    It's very relevant to the topic.
    It's about achieving monopoly positions. That's what we have now.
    If Google wouldn't be arm twisting then you would have bb10 with the latest android runtime (I don't need it but some do) and with the users having the capacity to decide permissions to all apps, including those of Google and BlackBerry, and also deciding if they wanted to pay with cash or with data for Google services.
    But Google and most companies and app developers copying their approach would have none of that. They want you to register with a web account, give them your mother's maiden name and your dog's name so that they "can better serve you and verify the correct operation of their own software". They don't want your money, your data is much more valuable.

Posted via CB10
    It's their runtime.
    02-11-17 04:32 PM
    It's their runtime.
    We have laws about company's with monopoly power, even if innocently obtained.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 05:03 PM
    We have laws about company's with monopoly power, even if innocently obtained.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a monopoly, it's their store. Google has no problem with other stores existing and they aren't stopping anyone from using them. If people want to use their store, they have rules for what they want in return to further their business.
    02-11-17 05:19 PM
    Based on the logic being offered, I suppose we should dissolve all patents, and shut the offices down. No one's unique idea can be preserved as their own, and profited from. Is this truly the direction you want to go in? What result do y'all expect?

This avenue of thinking, will result in nothing but a complete stifling of inventive development. I believe proprietary and monopoly are being confused here. They are not the same.
    02-11-17 06:59 PM
    It's not a monopoly, it's their store. Google has no problem with other stores existing and they aren't stopping anyone from using them. If people want to use their store, they have rules for what they want in return to further their business.
    Yes, but the law does not give them a free hand to data-mine me without giving me an option to pay in cash.
    The law in Canada doesn't allow them to invade my privacy by tracking my clicks, yet governments do not enforce the law on them. I don't have a Google account, I have never used android, I don't do Google search, yet they monitor pretty much all pages on the internet.
    The governments are on their payroll. They don't pay proper taxes.
    They bully everyone into being datamined.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 07:57 PM
    It's their runtime.
    What about app permission?! What about datamining adroid and most webpages on the internet?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 08:00 PM
    Try googling anti-trust law and read up on it.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 09:25 PM
    Try googling anti-trust law and read up on it.

Posted via CB10
    Try googling the success rate of those who take legal action against Google for anti-trust. It doesn't pass the threshold.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-11-17 09:41 PM
    What about app permission?! What about datamining adroid and most webpages on the internet?

Posted via CB10
    What about it's their runtime?
    Thud Hardsmack and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-11-17 10:10 PM
368 ... 910111213 ...