I've never understood the whole 'what I can do on my phone' thing and it being a competition about how often they use it per day. I absolutely think it's a convenience at times to be able to do it but I'm always going to have my desktop computer, laptop or surface pro with me if I'm going to client meetings or whatever. Sure, maybe I could do it on my phone but why would I if I had options?

Posted via CB10
    That was the point I was trying to make.

Posted via CB10
    meattray likes this.
    02-05-17 09:08 AM
    Interesting, I wonder what Government agencies any where in the world would be interested in adopting an OS that can't even guarantee one more security update. Plus, with hardware that is based on very old chip sets. Another major issue is the lack of support for BB10 from the certified enterprise management systems.

Also, depending on the level of security needed the sales effort required is very high. Blackberry's sales team and BB10 dev team is very small. These government deals require highly qualified sales organizations dedicated to security.

The limited success they have had was several years ago with their Secusmart group is some of the high levels in Germany.
    Maybe you are right. But we will all know soon enough. The Mercury should launch with Nougat, the other BlackBerry Android phones should get the updated shortly after if not before. Then BlackBerry should officially announce that BlackBerry powered by Android is more secure than BB10 and set an EOL date for BB10. I don't usually make predictions but in this case I'll say that if we haven't at least heard the official BlackBerry Android is more secure than BB10 by this summer we aren't going to.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    02-05-17 09:35 AM
    Maybe you are right. But we will all know soon enough. The Mercury should launch with Nougat, the other BlackBerry Android phones should get the updated shortly after if not before. Then BlackBerry should officially announce that BlackBerry powered by Android is more secure than BB10 and set an EOL date for BB10. I don't usually make predictions but in this case I'll say that if we haven't at least heard the official BlackBerry Android is more secure than BB10 by this summer we aren't going to.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    I wonder if BlackBerry will ever officially announce the EOL of BB10. My guess is they will just let it fade away.
    02-06-17 08:12 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry will ever officially announce the EOL of BB10. My guess is they will just let it fade away.
    They'll follow pre-BB10 BBOS strategy.
    02-06-17 12:10 PM
    They'll follow pre-BB10 BBOS strategy.
    So silently kill it on this page: http://ca.blackberry.com/support/bus...ife-cycle.html
    02-06-17 12:57 PM

Something along those lines I suspect. It will probably be covered here on CBS and a few other tech sites might pick it up, but I doubt it will gain mainstream coverage at all.

BlackBerry still says they have another OS release to service the corporate and government base so I suspect the runway might be a little longer security related than most think. Updates for things like the browser and stuff, I don't see coming. There may only be a handful of people who work on BlackBerry 10 or were trained in that software language to support it. I am not sure about the technical details but the days of BlackBerry having 3000 people who worked on code and other mobile related items are over.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 09:28 PM
    The days of a using a smartphone as just an email texting device are well and truly over. The only reason you might see old BlackBerry phones in Toronto is inertia. On my last trip through Pearson Airport, I never saw one BlackBerry phone.
    For me with BB10:
    - phone calls
    - email
    - SMS
    - calendar
    - contacts
    - tasks
    - notes
    - Web browsing
    - maps
    - music, with WIRED headphones
    - camera
    - Kindle
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader
    - file management integrated with Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive

are all I want on my mobile phone.
    Anything else, and I want a larger screen with a mouse/keyboard if possible.

Every one of those applications come pre-installed on my BB10 phone, together with efficient swipe gestures and the Hub.

I know there are people who want their phones to be a "Swiss Army Knife" with 100s of third party apps for entertainment and convenience, but I don't want that at all. My phone is a great tool that is used for work all day long, but it's never my favorite device to use because the screen is too small, and it doesn't have a full sized keyboard and mouse, so it's too darned slow for anything more than essential communications.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 03:00 PM
    For me with BB10:
    - phone calls
    - email
    - SMS
    - calendar
    - contacts
    - tasks
    - notes
    - Web browsing
    - maps
    - camera
    - Kindle
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader

Every one of those applications come pre-installed on my BB10 phone, together with efficient swipe gestures and the Hub.

I know there are people who want their phones to be a "Swiss Army Knife" with 100s of third party apps for entertainment and convenience, but I don't want that at all. My phone is a great tool that is used for work all day long, but it's never my favorite device to use because the screen is too small, and it doesn't have a full sized keyboard and mouse, so it's too darned slow for anything more than essential communications.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Sure, I can do those other things on my phone but I generally don't. I use the basic apps and have my laptop or desktop for anything more intensive.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 03:30 PM
    It is great that a BB10 is good enough for you (now) but there are few buyers for such a device. Your el cheapo Android can do all of the above and more.
    02-07-17 06:50 PM
    Which pill did you take, and are there any left?

Those who don't trust iOS or Android have no other options, They either will adopt an EMM that protects one of those two, or cease mobile communications.
    That statement sounds truly fascist.
    02-07-17 06:55 PM
    I don't think that word means what you think it means as it pertains to this statement.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-07-17 07:14 PM
    I don't think that word means what you think it means as it pertains to this statement.
    What would be a better word? Authoritarian? Dictatorial? Not good in any case.
    02-07-17 07:23 PM
    What would be a better word? Authoritarian? Dictatorial? Not good in any case.
    It's just business. You either use what's available, or don't.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-07-17 07:29 PM
    I'd love a detailed explanation of that opinion!
    02-07-17 08:29 PM
    For me with BB10:
    - phone calls
    - email
    - SMS
    - calendar
    - contacts
    - tasks
    - notes
    - Web browsing
    - maps
    - camera
    - Kindle
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader

Posted via CB10
    I hear ya.

For me, I am very picky with regards to the apps I use (I personally know almost every developer whose app I use... seriously), and have been using the same party apps for decades. I do tend to not avoid stock OS apps after trying to migrate from Palm to BBOS and finding some of my data was stuck. When I moved to BBOS, I started looking at some really productive apps, and I use several of them to this day across platforms.

BB10 kinda broke the continuity.

In any case, that's why that well-stocked ecosystem is so important: everyone gets what they want PLUS the stock apps.
    02-08-17 03:01 AM
    It's just business. You either use what's available, or don't.
    Business? In all countries we know that business is not for the people but to buy, manipulate, exploit and conquer people. The purpose of the big business is for the maximum profit with the minimum efforts...that's the reality in technology, pharmaceutical, food, and so on.
    We are only the sheep to be sheared. You don't want to be a sheep? So don't follow the flock. Today in smartphone business the flock goes for android and ios, not because those os are the best you can find, (may be the only ones...????) but simply because the flock must be addressed where there is more consumption, more control and more business. the quality is never been in the first objectives of the business, if ever in the last...so switch on and change your smartphone every year to be always on trandy and ultimate shape!
    Blacksheepberry?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 04:29 AM
    Interesting.

So, to be unique, one should avoid Android and iOS? And use BB10 perhaps?

But doesn't that just make one the member of a smaller herd? One's still a sheep, no?

Sometimes, the majority do things because that's what makes sense. I'm not going to start sucking carbon monoxide because most people enjoy oxygen just so I can feel, uh, different.
    02-08-17 04:38 AM
    Maybe not sucking carbon monoxide. Perhaps purposely not driving a car and taking public transit as a choice is a better analogy.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 05:02 AM
    Business? In all countries we know that business is not for the people but to buy, manipulate, exploit and conquer people. The purpose of the big business is for the maximum profit with the minimum efforts...that's the reality in technology, pharmaceutical, food, and so on.
    We are only the sheep to be sheared. You don't want to be a sheep? So don't follow the flock. Today in smartphone business the flock goes for android and ios, not because those os are the best you can find, (may be the only ones...????) but simply because the flock must be addressed where there is more consumption, more control and more business. the quality is never been in the first objectives of the business, if ever in the last...so switch on and change your smartphone every year to be always on trandy and ultimate shape!
    Blacksheepberry?

Posted via CB10
    So... what you're saying is that BlackBerry made an OS for the sake of liberating the people?

Here I am thinking they were a corporation out to make profits like the rest of them. Who knew?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-08-17 05:08 AM
    I agree. Sure, I can do those other things on my phone but I generally don't. I use the basic apps and have my laptop or desktop for anything more intensive.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm...... I thought those were basic apps lol

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 05:22 AM
    Have I meant that the use of BlackBerry 10 gives me the uniqueness? NO
    I meant that the industrial market draws people to obliged choices for lack of alternatives (at least for the masses) and it does it for well researched and specific purposes. I advise you not to digress into topics or deliberately erroneous interpretations.
    If we whant to speak particularly about smartphones and os I can say that if you own a bb10 and it still works fine, you sure can choose to go or to rest...but if you're telling me that you can't live without the lack of apps and so you switch to android so you can work better..let me suicide laughing. How many can really make that argument for true? I not telling you which is the best os or smartphnone...just the meaning and the reasons that people are switching from a still working fine product (that ensure your data privacy) to another that is made for the appeal of new apps but in less quality and less privacy.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by blackbp; 02-08-17 at 05:56 AM.
    sorinv likes this.
    02-08-17 05:28 AM
    Thing is, BB10 nowadays is like those "feature phones" a decade ago. Basically, you're stuck with what's already there in terms of features. Nobody is going to develop a new app anytime soon and only very few apps are still updated regularly.

Google Hangouts on BB10? No way! (Hg10 doesn't count as it uses the old XMPP interface of Google Talk which only provides basic texting and is unreliable.)
    Smartwatches? Pebble is out of business. Android Wear doesn't work.

And what's the point in having BB10 and using Android apps most of the time? It's like buying a sports car, but driving it around on the back of a lorry because you can't go over any bumps with it and there's no room for luggage.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 06:00 AM
    People need apps for work. It is no longer a laughing matter. Many don't have time for workarounds and tinkering or simply choose not to bother.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 06:23 AM
    I advise you not to digress into topics or deliberately erroneous interpretations.
    Great advice! You should take it.

If we whant to speak particularly about smartphones and os
    That is exactly all we should be speaking about, and not go down some cynical, big corporation rabbit hole.
    Ecm and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-08-17 06:47 AM
    Great advice! You should take it.

That is exactly all we should be speaking about, and not go down some cynical, big corporation rabbit hole.

I have spoken in general and in particular. In both cases, the argument is on topic. And...the truth sometimes can hurts.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 07:23 AM
368 ... 89101112 ...