I think there are parallels to slimy politicians if that is what you mean. He is misleading because I agree with everyone else that they are just selling off inventory and won't do anything else.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-17-17 06:43 PM
    Do you think Chen knows what's on the website? Further, do you think Chen even knows what Link is?
    He has people to do that for him.

01-17-17 06:43 PM
    The problem is that the uptake in corporations on BB10 was small. As stated many companies held onto BBOS to see how BB10 was going to mature. Given all of the uncertainty surrounding BlackBerry in 2013 and beyond, few IT leaders were willing to bet their jobs on BB10.
    Yup, but my experience was that IT made a dumb move. We were on OS7 devices for a loooong time and they did the job just fine. Then there was a half-hearted move to BB10 before somebody higher up decided to change the back end from BES to something else.
    1) the IT guys on the floor thought it was stupid, BES was better for them
    2) everyone is now on iPhone because the competitor didn't support Blackberry management. What did they gain? I talk to all the service and sales guys who opted to switch to iPhones. They all admitted the Blackberry's worked just fine but "Oh, now I can load the games that my kids want to play."

That was pretty much it. They went from solid phones that filled a business need to phones that were company paid for but on top of company use, saw heavy action for personal use downloading all sorts of junk.

Posted via CB10
    mbirth likes this.
    01-17-17 07:07 PM

That's my point.
    01-17-17 07:07 PM
    ... and we certainly believe it
    If Chairman Chen says so then it must be true
    01-17-17 08:56 PM

The Mighty Chen is not only the Blessed Saviour of BlackBerry but he is also Omnipotent and Knows all Things.
    01-17-17 08:57 PM
    BlackBerry is facing a point in time when those enterprise users who will not accept Android or iOS as a secure solution even when protected by a BlackBerry MDM solution need/want to upgrade their phones. At that point they could just walk away from those customers, but at this point it certainly doesn't look like that is something they are looking forward to doing.

I don't try to predict the future, but it looks like there are three possible outcomes:
    1. Convince these security sensitive users that they have secured Android
    2. Continue to support BB10 at a level acceptable to these users (if not consumers and CB faithful)
    3. Walk away and let some other company service those accounts.
    Which pill did you take, and are there any left?

Those who don't trust iOS or Android have no other options, They either will adopt an EMM that protects one of those two, or cease mobile communications.
    01-17-17 09:46 PM
    I guess the only new information in this article is that android BlackBerry isn't selling.
    They boast that bb10 still has millions of users, but android BlackBerry? No data.

They would have at least mentioned if there were more android BlackBerry users than bb10 users now, more than two years after the last bb10 device was released.
    But they don't...Nothing to write home about.

Android BlackBerry has failed miserably, despite the apps and despite bb10 phones being two years old or more.
    BlackBerry customers do not want android from BlackBerry.
    That was obvious in the polls carried out on Crackberry before the Priv was released.

Most have moved elsewhere rather than switch to a BlackBerry android, or decided to stay with bb10 to the bitter end.

That's the trump-like reality that few at blackberry predicted.

Posted via CB10
    Janiso likes this.
    01-17-17 10:05 PM

Do you mean he has people know what Link is for him?

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    01-17-17 10:46 PM
    Did you just eat both pills and a couple more you found on the coffee table?
    No, he drew a line in the sand. Or perhaps a line on the glass!
    01-18-17 12:16 AM
    At some point the hardware will fail, which presents a real problem since BB cannot make a new BB10 phone without all new hardware since the internals have been discontinued. Knowing this, it's easy to understand why they would want to nudge customers to a new different platform.

If we ever do see a new, 3rd party built BB10 phone, it will almost surely be in the DTEK vein where it's practically a clone of an existing Android slab but with a different OS on it. That way the hardware manufacturer doesn't have to invest in new tooling; their largest investments will be the drivers and marketing/distribution. The odds of another PKB BB10 phone are impossibly low.
    That there is some sizable group of Enterprise customers still using BB10 devices is probably an urban myth.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 12:33 AM
    The problem is that the uptake in corporations on BB10 was small. As stated many companies held onto BBOS to see how BB10 was going to mature. Given all of the uncertainty surrounding BlackBerry in 2013 and beyond, few IT leaders were willing to bet their jobs on BB10.
    I think the chaos surrounding the events of 2013 but Chen in a position when he had the limelight to say, "We are going balls in on our wonderful OS" and work to resuscitate the brand. Instead, he said very publicly "we'll see what happens with our trademark product that has defined us from the beginning and drop it if we don't get lucky."

No matter what his intent, this was bizarre. They were still years from stopping releasing new bb10 products. I have said this before but I think it was self serving on his part and not in the best interest of the company. It was a way of him communicating that if he failed it wouldn't be his fault and he could succeed elsewhere. The problem was that it sewed fear and uncertainty -- or more of it instead of the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-18-17 12:37 AM
    BlackBerry specifically said that BlackBerry hardened Nougat will have security-parity with BB10.
    That's not a plan, that's a wish.
    01-18-17 02:47 AM
    I'd prefer to look at the number of units produced and extrapolate in terms of how many units are actually sold and possibly active.

I'd imagine that Blackberry has enough data to analyse what we try to perceive as truths.

Nothing wrong with keeping an OS or device alive for years...that's what happened to WinXP, Windows 2000, etc. We don't need to keep up with the trend when it's not critical.

That said, availability of apps can be critical depending on your needs.
    01-18-17 03:40 AM
    I guess the only new information in this article is that android BlackBerry isn't selling.
    They boast that bb10 still has millions of users, but android BlackBerry? No data.

They would have at least mentioned if there were more android BlackBerry users than bb10 users now, more than two years after the last bb10 device was released.
    But they don't...Nothing to write home about.

Android BlackBerry has failed miserably, despite the apps and despite bb10 phones being two years old or more.
    BlackBerry customers do not want android from BlackBerry.
    That was obvious in the polls carried out on Crackberry before the Priv was released.

Most have moved elsewhere rather than switch to a BlackBerry android, or decided to stay with bb10 to the bitter end.

That's the trump-like reality that few at blackberry predicted.

Posted via CB10
    Lol didn't you at one time predict that the Priv would be the last handset from BlackBerry?
    Really have a bone to pick with Android-BlackBerry, eh?
    01-18-17 04:06 AM
    That's not a plan, that's a wish.
    That is the plan stated by the CEO of the company--make BlackBerry hardened Android as secure as possible.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 06:20 AM
    That is the plan stated by the CEO of the company--make BlackBerry hardened Android as secure as possible.
    Posted via CB10
    Actually, the goal is parity.

Android gets more security patches per month than BB10 got over the last three years.

Just take a look at January:
    BlackBerry powered by Android Security Bulletin – January 2017

In my book that's not even close to parity.
    01-18-17 06:35 AM
    I've not read every comment in this thread, but for me, all I want from BB10 3.3.4 is this:

1) Updated runtime support
    2) The ability to block calls like you can on iOS and Android - without 3rd party crap apps

If Blackberry could do this, I genuinely think I could use my Classic as my main device. As it stands, my Classic is used as a bedtime clock (no joke). It's useless in the sense that most android apps wont work because they require a 5+ runtime. I can't block calls, so I get spammed with telemarketers. The phone is beautiful to look at, hold and type on, but as far as a smartphone - it's absolute trash (for me) without these very basic features.
    Bbnivende, early2bed and raz0r24 like this.
    01-18-17 06:50 AM
    I've not read every comment in this thread, but for me, all I want from BB10 3.3.4 is this:

1) Updated runtime support
    2) The ability to block calls like you can on iOS and Android - without 3rd party crap apps

If Blackberry could do this, I genuinely think I could use my Classic as my main device. As it stands, my Classic is used as a bedtime clock (no joke). It's useless in the sense that most android apps wont work because they require a 5+ runtime. I can't block calls, so I get spammed with telemarketers. The phone is beautiful to look at, hold and type on, but as far as a smartphone - it's absolute trash (for me) without these very basic features.
    Have you submitted your number to the do not call list?

The runtime will not be updated due to some regulations that forbid it.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 06:56 AM
    Have you submitted your number to the do not call list?

The runtime will not be updated due to some regulations that forbid it.

Posted via CB10
    I have yes but 99.9% of these telemarketers ignore the list and call anyway, hence the very urgent need for a software block.
    01-18-17 07:16 AM
    I think the chaos surrounding the events of 2013 but Chen in a position when he had the limelight to say, "We are going balls in on our wonderful OS" and work to resuscitate the brand. Instead, he said very publicly "we'll see what happens with our trademark product that has defined us from the beginning and drop it if we don't get lucky."

No matter what his intent, this was bizarre. They were still years from stopping releasing new bb10 products. I have said this before but I think it was self serving on his part and not in the best interest of the company. It was a way of him communicating that if he failed it wouldn't be his fault and he could succeed elsewhere. The problem was that it sewed fear and uncertainty -- or more of it instead of the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but BlackBerry's trademark product that defined them.... was BBOS and the Keyboard.

But I do agree that the "uncertainty" has been one of the biggest issues for Enterprise.... starting with the whole switch to a new OS, then the delays, they the launch with little support, poor sales at launch, the FOR SALE sign and burning of Billions a quarter. Chen stabilized the company over the last three years.... but at no point has their really been confident that BB10 was a viable product that should be invested in. And Android was doomed from the beginning with the "if we can make money I'll shutdown hardware".

Now the biggest thing TCL brings is HOPE, hope that another company will be able to do what BlackBerry could not and will stick to offering this BlackBerry/Android solution. Just not sure how many enterprise customers will buy on that hope, without seeing first if it is founded.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-18-17 07:17 AM
    This is an intriguing quote from the article:

Those are developing countries where users are likely to eventually move toward Android and iOS, as has already happened in developed nations. What if BB10 were to be merged with Android somehow? Or could a dual-boot scenario work, similar to how Apple had supported Windows with its Boot Camp software for Intel-based Macs?
    Advertisement

“It is an order of magnitude more complex than Boot Camp on a Mac. I wouldn’t say we haven’t looked at that as a potentiality, but it’s a very complex project, so I’m not in any way saying we are pursuing it,” he says. “We get lots of feedback on continuing BB10 on other devices. If we come up with one that makes sense, that meets the demands of our customers, and makes sense from a technology perspective, I’m sure we will pursue it.”
    01-18-17 07:27 AM
    The days of a using a smartphone as just an email texting device are well and truly over. The only reason you might see old BlackBerry phones in Toronto is inertia. On my last trip through Pearson Airport, I never saw one BlackBerry phone.
    01-18-17 08:52 AM
    I'm glad my pill analogy carries on. It's like a BlackBerry running BB10 that just won't die lol!

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-18-17 09:29 AM
    Welcome to the webOS storyline: CEO change, those damn carriers, no new hardware; runtimes fizzle out; home-brew; it's just the marketing; still committed - really; this other company will save us; dual boot?; open source?; should I buy a few and put them in a freezer? Will it live on in a printer or a TV or a toaster?

Search Results - webOS Nation Forums
    01-18-17 11:10 AM
368 12345 ...