At the moment I have more Android apps installed than native BlackBerry apps. I think that says a lot about the state of AppWorld.

Heck, some sideloaded apps (looking at you Twitter) load faster and work better than native ones.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-09-13 01:55 PM
    If you sideload a free app, you've pirated it. Ask BBRY.
    I remember when former RIM introduced the android runtime on playbook. When they demonstrated it, an employee of RIM showed us IMDb on the playbook, how well it runs etc. As we all know.. IMDb isn't available on BlackBerry World.

If only I could find that video..

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-09-13 05:07 PM
    der, dont y'all care about security?

y'all downloading random apk app files posted on sites like usendit from a users with names like bbstyle69 like its nothing
    10-09-13 10:40 PM

y'all downloading random apk app files posted on sites like usendit from a users with names like bbstyle69 like its nothing
    I run a AV on my PC and it is very good at finding malware. Haven't found any yet. And no we don't use usendit.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:52 PM

If you have an Android device you can use apps like apk extractor to get the apk file from an app you already have on the phone.

The best way to making sure you're running the latest version.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-10-13 01:27 AM

I get my .apk files directly from the Google Play Store using a Chrome extension called "APK Downloader" or something. I hardly think that some third party is going to intercept it and insert malware in the period of a quarter second.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 03:07 AM
    don't be ridiculous,
    as me I know a lot of people prefer to download
    the app's from google play, and a lot just transfer
    the app from a android phone,
    10-10-13 04:15 AM
    So wait, for BB to take advantage of the android player in a secure environment I also need an android phone?

Don't you people see how ridiculous you sound.

'Hold on, let me take out my android phone. I need to update my z10'

Hahaha
    10-10-13 08:14 AM
    So wait, for BB to take advantage of the android player in a secure environment I also need an android phone?

Hahaha
    You don't need an Android phone. If you have one you can use that to get .apk's, but that's just a choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 08:21 AM

Hahaha
    You could also argue that the play store is not a secure environment but that's besides the point

It comes down to the fact that no other os can run the apps from another os.

No one is saying side loading is ideal, we're saying it's pretty cool that we can though!!
    10-10-13 08:44 AM

As someone above mentioned, you can download apps directly from the Play Store using a Chrome extension. You don't need an Android phone...

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-10-13 08:48 AM
    Do people deserve credit for plagiarism? Then why for blatant robbery?
    First, welcome to crackberry and congrats on making it to six posts.

Some advice:

Please read the whole thread. The OP did not realize that side loading isn't a selling point and that it is meant for developers.
    The piracy is an unintended consequence.
    This has been acknowledged.

Perhaps instead of repeating what many have already said, you could go to the unread threads and offer some help? You must bring something to the table, as you created an account and have written six whole posts.
    10-10-13 10:14 AM
    I guess you can call this piracy, but this is far from pirated software or movies. If this really was such a huge problem I'm sure Google would have done something by now to protect their developers.

Most people are sideloading free apps so there is no direct hit on the developer. I guess you could use ad revenue as a counter argument but we are talking about peanuts here.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-10-13 12:48 PM
    No revenue lost, as these users wouldn't have been purchasing android apps anyways, as they bought blackberrys.

It's not blackberrys intention for us to pirate apps. That's why it's under developer tools. That's why they didn't provide us with the tools to make our own converts using link.
    The simplified process did. It didn't come from blackberry. It came from a forum user.
    That's why it's not advertised.

No one made this complaint over side loading on the playbook.
    That's been happening for two years now.
    I know I've got more paid side loads on my playbook than my zed. Guess what? I didn't pay for them.
    And I never would have. They're not worth the money. So it's not lost revenue.
    Last edited by stabstabdie; 10-10-13 at 03:29 PM.
    10-10-13 01:43 PM
    How is something that keeps them in bueiness an Unintended consequence? They knew they were pirating android apps...very intended.
    I see with 6 posts i hqve a better understanding if you think it was "unintended"
    How is this keeping them in business?
    Please, feel free to provide the numbers you must have access to in order to know this 'fact'
    10-10-13 01:45 PM
65 123