Coming from Android, this was one of the things that interested me the most when switching to BB10. What surprised me is just how well it works.

I still have my old Nexus 4 and the speed is clearly on the Nexus side, however my wife has a Galaxy S2 and.... they are fairly close. True, S2 is a 2+ year old model, but it's still impressive.

How did they do that? How does my Q10 run Android apps better than a LOT of dedicated Android phones?

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-08-13 09:52 AM
    It has a better processor and more memory as well as a new version of android.
    10-08-13 10:02 AM
    I don't think BBRY wants any credit for what it terms piracy.
    bobauckland and jh07 like this.
    10-08-13 10:25 AM
    I don't think BBRY wants any credit for what it terms piracy.
    Really? Why provide an option if you don't want people to use it?

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-08-13 10:32 AM

Posted with CB10/Q10
    This wasn't exactly the intended purpose for sideloading. Why BBRY included it was for developers to load under construction versions of their apps to devices and/or simulators for testing purposes, loading converted APKs was an unintended consequence.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-08-13 10:34 AM

Posted with CB10/Q10
    LOL, it's an interesting question. Officially, it's supposed to be used by developers only. Using it to take apps without permission is something BBRY frowns upon.

I'm sure it could be plugged if BBRY wanted it plugged.
    10-08-13 10:35 AM
    if blackberry had their crap together, the app developers would be making bb apps. as it stands, if you want a smart phone that is actually smart and capable you have to sideload. it's shocking how few good apps there are for blackberry and there are fewer all the time. without the ability to sideload i'd be using and android or apple phone.

blackberry can't even have mycal and let me update my kid's hockey schedule automatically. how hard can it be to have that app? seriously, it doesn't matter how good the phone is or the processor or the memory. if there are no apps, the phone isnt smart. its just a cell phone

so blackberry frowns upon sideloading?!? lol. stay in business and expand your market before frowning upon people trying to make their phones usable and useful.
    10-08-13 10:40 AM
    This wasn't exactly the intended purpose for sideloading. Why BBRY included it was for developers to load under construction versions of their apps to devices and/or simulators for testing purposes, loading converted APKs was an unintended consequence.

Posted via CB10
    Oh... every post I read about BB10 before buying talked about sideloading as it was a feature, had no idea it wasn't supposed to be used this way.

I really hope they don't decide to shut it down. It's a big plus for the platform and considering I'm using an Android app to handle email - I wouldn't stick around for long if they remove it.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-08-13 10:42 AM
    Oh... every post I read about BB10 before buying talked about sideloading as it was a feature, had no idea it wasn't supposed to be used this way...
    That's because everybody and their brother will snap out a response of "just sideload it" whenever a user asks about app availability or if one questions the health of the BB10 app ecosystem. It's an available option at least.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 12:57 PM
    Side loading may not the best option, but it's an option that can fill the gap for now.
    The users who are against the 'just sideload it' responses are being children.
    We KNOW native is better, but sideload is better than nothing.
    The refusal to sideload is just an adult hissy fit.
    'but I WANT native! Waaaaaah!'
    Yes, we want native too, but we can get by with a side load until then.
    10-08-13 01:12 PM
    Native is better, accept when it isn't. Most of my sideloads are for apps that don't exist on BlackBerry app word, but some are because the BlackBerry equivelent isn't up to the task. BaconReader (reddit app) is one of the examples. While reddit in motion is okay, it really can't compare with Bacon.

Another app I recommend is Gmail Plus, much much better than any BlackBerry gmail app currently available.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-08-13 01:54 PM
    'but I WANT native! Waaaaaah!'...
    I don't agree with that statement.
    Sideloading is the "only" possible alternative to nothing. That's not a great choice. And it may not be an option for some users still. Sideloading is a process in itself for many users. I don't think Blackberry users are "crybabies" if they aren't "sideloading" fans. lol.

It's an option, that is available, to try.
    10-08-13 01:57 PM
    It's still a choice.
    One that other phones don't provide.

I'm not referring to those who aren't able or not confidant enough to sideload.
    It's the ones that are very vocal about their refusal because it's not native.
    It's the wah wah I shouldn't have to response.
    Remember, you CHOSE bb10, and it's app eco system.

You're right in the sense that I don't expect my mom to sideload. But if apps are your thing, why are you with blackberry at all?? They've never had good apps. It's the best it's ever been these days!!!!!
    10-08-13 02:17 PM
    You don't buy android then complain it doesn't have face time, imessgae, and icloud??
    duude88 likes this.
    10-08-13 02:24 PM
    You don't buy android then complain it doesn't have face time, imessgae, and icloud??
    This is a very, very good point. All of us knew very well what we're getting into. If you're unhappy now, you have pretty much only yourself to blame.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    stabstabdie and elmit22 like this.
    10-08-13 02:31 PM
    Side loading may not the best option, but it's an option that can fill the gap for now.
    'but I WANT native! Waaaaaah!'
    Yes, we want native too, but we can get by with a side load until then.
    "We can get by until then". This constant answer that keeps getting regurgitated is laughable. When is then? Get back to reality man. Side loading is not a temporary fix for some major apps...it's the final fix. And just in case you haven't noticed people aren't crying about lack of bb10 apps. They just aren't buying the phones!!!!
    CDM76 and Drew808 like this.
    10-08-13 02:36 PM
    Stupid example. Those three are EXCLUSIVE to apple. SMH
    10-08-13 02:37 PM
    This has to be a joke. Credit for sideloading? Give me a break.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:38 PM
    LOL, it's an interesting question. Officially, it's supposed to be used by developers only. Using it to take apps without permission is something BBRY frowns upon.

I'm sure it could be plugged if BBRY wanted it plugged.
    Maybe BlackBerry should do a better job filling in the app-gap. Just saying...
    10-08-13 02:45 PM
    Stupid example. Those three are EXCLUSIVE to apple. SMH
    That's the point. They are not available on other platforms, and this is well known. Just like what apps aren't available on bb10 is well known.
    If you're not researching your device choice before you buy, that's on you.

Here's a better example, what do you mean my gingerbread os doesn't run jellybean apps???

You can rip the example, but you have to see my point. If you buy a phone that doesn't support a certain app or feature, it's not reasonable to complain later that it's not there. Especially of there is an unofficial means to get it there.

You don't buy an xbox to play ps3 titles.
    10-08-13 03:05 PM
    "We can get by until then". This constant answer that keeps getting regurgitated is laughable. When is then? Get back to reality man. Side loading is not a temporary fix for some major apps...it's the final fix. And just in case you haven't noticed people aren't crying about lack of bb10 apps. They just aren't buying the phones!!!!
    Never said temp fix. It's a fix. I have the apps I want, and have no expectations of them becoming native. That's my reality.
    And I'm referring to those that are whining, not those that didn't buy in.
    I don't know why you're refuting points I didn't make.
    10-08-13 03:12 PM
    That's the point. They are not available on other platforms, and this is well known. Just like what apps aren't available on bb10 is well known.
    If you're not researching your device choice before you buy, that's on you.

Here's a better example, what do you mean my gingerbread os doesn't run jellybean apps???

You can rip the example, but you have to see my point. If you buy a phone that doesn't support a certain app or feature, it's not reasonable to complain later that it's not there. Especially of there is an unofficial means to get it there.

You don't buy an xbox to play ps3 titles.
    Your examples make NO sense. You have to use this little thing called logic. Ps3 was never sold that xbox 360 games would play on it. I can't believe you are even using that example because it's so ridiculous. Just as in your imessage and Facetime example. The apps people always talk about are not platform specific. Example Skype. If this is going over your head we can just agree to disagree.
    10-08-13 04:52 PM
    Never said temp fix. It's a fix. I have the apps I want, and have no expectations of them becoming native. That's my reality.
    And I'm referring to those that are whining, not those that didn't buy in.
    I don't know why you're refuting points I didn't make.
    You are rambling nonsense so much you can't even remember what you're saying. In post 10 YOU put "Yes, we want native too, but we can get by with a side load until then." That means you are saying side loading is temporary and the people who are complaining could wait like you till Native comes. Only one problem...native apps aren't coming. So when you try to tell people stop complaining and you use that dumb quote to justify them not being patient it sounds like you're pretty clueless to blackberry reality at this point.
    10-08-13 04:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    When describing to non BlackBerry users about the features of BB10 devices, this is one of the first points I address; access to most android apps combined with the security and messaging prowess of blackberry. All are stunned this is possible.

STL-3 Z10 | Rogers | 10.2.0.1xxx
    10-08-13 05:01 PM
    When describing to non BlackBerry users about the features of BB10 devices, this is one of the first points I address; access to most android apps combined with the security and messaging prowess of blackberry. All are stunned this is possible.
    "Most" might be pushing it a tad, especially since Gapps are a major draw for a lot of people, and sideloading is not an organic operation.

Either way, I doubt we'll see BBRY making noise about sideloading, and rightfully so.
    10-08-13 05:11 PM
65 123