10-26-17 07:02 AM
    Good for Chen! I'm all for keeping criminals from keeping their crimes in secret. No tech company should be allowed to get to big for its britches that it won't help out the authorities when needed.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 07:44 AM
    Meh.

Use end-to-end encryption if you don't want your phone manufacturer to read your information. But quite frankly the NSA can probably do it anyways.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-26-17 09:09 AM
    I really can't see security minded consumers or even enterprise reacting too positively to statements like this.

Good for Chen! I'm all for keeping criminals from keeping their crimes in secret. No tech company should be allowed to get to big for its britches that it won't help out the authorities when needed.

Posted via CB10
    Without a transparency report there's no way of knowing who is being helped and if this article is to be believed, there might not be any oversight by the Canadian government on why either.

BlackBerry hands over user data to help police 'kick ***,' insider says - Technology & Science - CBC News

Meh.

Use end-to-end encryption if you don't want your phone manufacturer to read your information. But quite frankly the NSA can probably do it anyways.
    If the article is correct, it sounds like they'd still try to break it if asked.
    10-26-17 01:56 PM
    I really can't see security minded consumers or even enterprise reacting too positively to statements like this.

Without a transparency report there's no way of knowing who is being helped and if this article is to be believed, there might not be any oversight by the Canadian government on why either.

BlackBerry hands over user data to help police 'kick ***,' insider says - Technology & Science - CBC News

If the article is correct, it sounds like they'd still try to break it if asked.
    Blackberry wouldn't have the tools to do that. It's way, way above their pay grade.
    10-26-17 01:58 PM
    Maybe latest 10.3.3.xxx does help breaking

Posted via CB10
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-26-17 02:36 PM
    Btw how can you say you have the most secure android if you rls monthly 999999 security hole patches

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 02:38 PM
    Btw how can you say you have the most secure android if you rls monthly 999999 security hole patches

Posted via CB10
    Because you fix 999999 theoretical vulnerabilities every month before they can ever be exploited. You also combine that with Play Protect, Integrity Detection, Root of Trust, permission management, and encryption.

I also bet that Android has Krack fix before any other - Nov 6.
    10-26-17 02:55 PM
    Krack is a exception. The 999999 in month october are found the other 9999 are still there. Doesnt gives me the feeling most secure.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 04:31 PM
    Krack is a exception. The 999999 in month october are found the other 9999 are still there. Doesnt gives me the feeling most secure.

Posted via CB10
    Which version of Android OS gives you that most secure feeling compared to all the versions? How about compared with other various brands OS?
    10-26-17 04:41 PM
    None cause of all the advertisements and google services attached to it and surprised patches that are always rlsd.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 04:44 PM
    None cause of all the advertisements and google services attached to it and surprised patches that are always rlsd.

Posted via CB10
    Well I guess you're in for a future of disappointments since all that's left will be Android/IOS. Especially since it appears BB10 is vulnerable more and more these days and will only get worse. At this point, I'd trust Stock Android over BB10 since it's got minimal to no support.
    10-26-17 05:09 PM
    Why is bb10 more vulnerable these days you think? Since bb10 is not in the spotlights nobody is aiming to find holes that's a benefit for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 05:15 PM
    Blackberry wouldn't have the tools to do that. It's way, way above their pay grade.
    Sure but it's not very reassuring that they say they'll try.

I also bet that Android has Krack fix before any other - Nov 6.
    Android is already lagging in that regard, Microsoft deployed a fix weeks ago while Apple and Sailfish have a fix in beta.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    10-26-17 05:20 PM
    Sure but it's not very reassuring that they say they'll try.

Android is already lagging in that regard, Microsoft deployed a fix weeks ago while Apple and Sailfish have a fix in beta.
    Yes, Apple has it in BETA. I'm still betting on Android.

I don't even care about Windows phone anymore. No one else does.
    10-26-17 05:26 PM
    I don't even care about Windows phone anymore. No one else does.
    You should have specified.

I wouldn't count out Apple just yet, they've done a few mini releases for iOS 11 so they won't have to push it out in a big update. It also helps that the moment they're ready to release it'll be available for all iOS 11 users immediately.
    10-26-17 05:37 PM
    So in other words, nothing has changed from the last time he was asked.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-26-17 09:55 PM
    BBX rules. Android drools...

That is all.

Class dismissed.

Posted via CBX
    10-26-17 10:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    If that is BB’s position, then Chen should have come out and said that? This stupid statement of “well, we promise to try but we might not be able to do it” doesn’t make anyone happy. The people who want strong encryption will say wait a minute, why would you try if you know your crypto is secure?

And the people who want LE to have access are left wondering what Chen is actually saying. Can they or can’t they decrypt user content? The CEO of a tech company ought to have some better idea than saying he’s committed to trying but then shrugging his shoulders and saying he doesn’t even know if they can. Is your stuff secure or isn’t it? You should have some idea if you’re calling yourselves one of the top security companies in the world and that’s basically the bulk of your entire value add in life.

I sold half my position in BB again today after looking again at the very odd results and guidance for IP licensing and then being reminded again that Chen is sort of an ***** a lot of the time.
    anon(8679041) and kraidx like this.
    10-26-17 11:38 PM
    Because governments have never, ever abused their authority to spy on their own citizens, right?
    Wmsi, anon(8679041) and kraidx like this.
    10-27-17 07:34 AM
    Why is bb10 more vulnerable these days you think? Since bb10 is not in the spotlights nobody is aiming to find holes that's a benefit for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    You don’t need to find holes... they are already there to be exploited. That’s the worse thing: not being in the spotlight.

Someone might be exploiting a weakness in BB10 now... and how would you know it? No one is checking.
    10-27-17 07:38 AM
    Oh boy, Chen sure does like to put his foot in his mouth and talk down his own company sometimes.

That approach appears very different to that of the world's most profitable smartphone company: Apple. It fought the government's attempts to break its security protections

This was the correct response. Hence, I switched to iOS instead of 'secret sauce' Android.
    anon(8679041) and kraidx like this.
    10-27-17 08:32 AM
    Apple. It fought the government's attempts to break its security protections.

This was the correct response. Hence, I switched to iOS instead of 'secret sauce' Android.
    In the end, they got someone else to do it anyway.

This whole discussion is senseless. Use end to end encryption or don't. Use Telegram to nuke private chats after a set time, or don't.

Anything BlackBerry CAN decrypt, countless other agencies can already.

Chen is just trying to contribute to the global discussion to stave off mandatory, legislated rules for backdoor keys.
    Last edited by conite; 10-27-17 at 09:00 AM.
    10-27-17 08:47 AM
    In the end, they got someone else to do it anyway.

This whole discussion is senseless. Use end to end encryption or don't. Use Telegram to nuke private chats after a set time, or don't.

Anything BlackBerry CAN decrypt, countless other agencies can already.

Chen is just trying to contribute to the global discussion to stave off mandatory, legislated rules for backdoor keys.
    Well the 3rd party approach that the FBI used won’t work on any iPhone you can actually buy today.

The problem is BB says they are the security experts. That’s their brand. Chen’s statement undermines the brand.
    FF22 and anon(8679041) like this.
    10-27-17 10:07 AM

The problem is BB says they are the security experts. That’s their brand. Chen’s statement undermines the brand.
    Perhaps, but it means nothing in actual practice.

The real issue is that manufacturers will force legislators' hands if they're not careful.
    Last edited by conite; 10-27-17 at 10:52 AM.
    mf1982 likes this.
    10-27-17 10:13 AM
44 12