Anyone have any idea on how much data is consumed when connected to Blend?

Thanks.
    10-16-14 05:09 PM
    You have to ask a Passport owner...they're the only ones that can use Blend for now...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-16-14 06:36 PM
    Anything internal is no cost. Would expect only remote access to use data. Blend use is mostly to extend the use of the phone through the PC/Tablet therefore most use will be free of charge.
    10-17-14 12:13 AM
    Maybe I will do a test with my Passport to find out.

I want to know how much data would be used through my Passport and through my iPad cellular.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:35 PM
    AFAIK, there are two ways to connect to Blend, wi-fi, and via USB. Neither of these should go against any data you have. Make sure however, that you have "Use Mobile Connections" set to off just to be sure. I use wi-fi most of the time when on Blend.
    One way to verify it is to make a note of upload/download sizes before and after you've connected and spent some time using Blend.
    10-17-14 03:53 PM
    AFAIK, there are two ways to connect to Blend, wi-fi, and via USB. Neither of these should go against any data you have. Make sure however, that you have "Use Mobile Connections" set to off just to be sure. I use wi-fi most of the time when on Blend.
    One way to verify it is to make a note of upload/download sizes before and after you've connected and spent some time using Blend.
    Also using your device as a Wifi hotspot.... that will use data

Also, blend will only work if booth devices are on the same network, so there is no mistaking when you are using data

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-17-14 04:00 PM
    Both devices do not need to be on the same network for Blend to work. Blend can connect to your BlackBerry device using its mobile connection, if you have set it up in the settings.

Wifi, USB, and mobile data can be used for connecting your BlackBerry device to Blend.

Attachment 306925
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-14 01:29 AM
    You have to ask a Passport owner...they're the only ones that can use Blend for now...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    Passport owners, Khan owners, Classic testers, and select 10.3.1 participants can.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:32 AM
    Blend also connect via your data plan. So there are three ways. It is remote access/mirroring of your bb.

How much data is up to you.
    Looking at messages not much
    Saving files from destop to phone. Depends on the file

Posted with my flash Passport
    10-18-14 08:48 AM
    This is a good question! I never stopped to consider how much data is being consumed when using blend.

I know that when I use blend I have always been connected to wifi on both devices, so this probably is not so bad with my unlimited internet plan at home.

I would assume when you are receiving/responding to msgs it will not consume more than a few mb of data unless you have large files as attachment.

Going in to the file manager of blend, now this will probably be a different story. Managing and viewing files that are saved on the phone will probably consume lots of data when using blend.

Ie. If I go to blend, select my phone, play a video I recorded with my phone that is say 10 min long or 75mb in size, and my phone is connected to mobile network, well then blend would have caused my phone to consume 75mb (+/- any compression that is done, if any) by sending the video through mobile network for blend to access and play it.

If the phone is connected to blend via bluetooth, USB cable or wifi, this data consumption should not be an issue, it becomes something to be mindful of when you connect to the phone through the mobile network.
    Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:08 AM
    go to blend on your phone and turn off use mobile network it should fix it i've had the same problem
    10-18-14 01:15 PM
    Why not add the option to connect via bluetooth? Making it a more advanced and cross platform of the bridge they had for playbook

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    10-18-14 01:25 PM
    The whole point of this thread is that I WANT to use Blend on a mobile connection.

I want to know what the data use is like on my phone and how data is consumed on my iPad cellular. Both devices NOT on wifi. They both have their own LTE connection.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:41 PM
    The whole point of this thread is that I WANT to use Blend on a mobile connection.

I want to know what the data use is like on my phone and how data is consumed on my iPad cellular. Both devices NOT on wifi. They both have their own LTE connection.

Posted via CB10
    The whole point of blend is to connect your phone to your tablet. So your data will always come from the smartphone. Not the tablet with cellular. So there is no extra data consumed.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:48 PM
    The whole point of blend is to connect your phone to your tablet. So your data will always come from the smartphone. Not the tablet with cellular. So there is no extra data consumed.

Posted via CB10
    Not correct. Both not on wifi means both consumIng their data plans. One out to the carrier and the other back.

So anything more than messaging will be significant. The only direct connection is usb.

10-18-14 02:25 PM
    Not correct. Both not on wifi means both consumIng their data plans. One out to the carrier and the other back.

So anything more than messaging will be significant. The only direct connection is usb.

It's supposed to come in and out from the smartphone. The data between the tablet is like a local connection.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 02:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing you're asking whether using Blend as a service will add any data use in Huntington (damn autocorrect) the transfer/access of files to/from your iPad while using you're phone, and/or whether BlackBerry built in an inherent compression algorithm like the BIS of old? In either case the answer is probably not. So as other posters have said, Blend will use as much data as you tell it to. If you want to use your iPad to watch a full 1080p movie that is stored on your phone, and either device is connected to your cellular service provider, then in the process of watching that movie you will use however much data is required for the transfer, i.e. the file size of the movie.

Edit: to go further, the transfer would require your phone to send it (using however much data is required) and your tablet to receive it (same amount of data) and basically you'd be hit with the data usage twice. Unless Blend works via Bluetooth, then neither device will use your cellular data as the info is transferred locally.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 10-18-14 at 03:00 PM.
    irweezyy likes this.
    10-18-14 02:41 PM
    It's supposed to come in and out from the smartphone. The data between the tablet is like a local connection.

Posted via CB10
    Unless connected via Bluetooth (does Blend work with USB OTG?), then the tablet will require some sort of wireless connection and will therefore use data. Blend is like Bridge but not the same. I'm not even sure if it works via Bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 02:44 PM
    Hmm... wonder if Blend works via Wifi Direct.

The How to Video says "you can choose to connect to the USB port on your computer OR TABLET"..

I imagine that doesn't include iPads... lol

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-14 03:15 PM
    Blend is a mirroring service, it isn't a media server. Your bb10 phones can already serve media.

Blend makes you phone your own personal cloud service for any desktop or tablet you might use. It doesn't change how data moves.

You want to serve large files to another device it doesn't matter what service you use you're going to want to use a cheap connection, like your own wifi

10-18-14 04:27 PM
    Blend is a mirroring service, it isn't a media server. Your bb10 phones can already serve media.

Blend makes you phone your own personal cloud service for any desktop or tablet you might use. It doesn't change how data moves.

You want to serve large files to another device it doesn't matter what service you use you're going to want to use a cheap connection, like your own wifi

Yes, but what if you're in your truck at a work site,.. want to use blend on your laptop but forgot the USB cord. Only the Passport has data connection.

Can you,.. set up an adhoc wifi network between the Passport and the laptop (but without running the hotspot feature)? Can wifi direct work? Will blend work if the phone is set up as a true cell data sharing hotspot (or will the phone not be considered to be on the same wifi network)?

As for the separately cell-connected Passport and tablet, it does sound like it would result in 2x the amount of data usage.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:53 PM
    I just ran a 10 minute Blend usage test.

Connections-
    Laptop: Wi-Fi
    Passport: AT&T mobile network (no wifi)

Took about 30 seconds to connect, then I used Blend for 10 minutes (timed) to do the following:
    - Investigated the blend landing page click on various components and closed them
    - Opened up email and viewed last 10 emails including some ebay spam with images
    - Composed a new email, typed a small paragraph, added one attachment file from the Passport (which required browsing through a few folders), added a second attachment from the host laptop.
    - Sent e-mail.
    -Went back to landing page, fired out a few sms to my other number and replied back (seems to be some issues with lag and some messages not showing up)
    - Opened up file manager, opened a large PDF document (about 1.5mb), opened up two pictures, dragged and dropped a spreadsheet from host laptop to Blend, and opened up another spreadsheet I keep pinned on OneDrive.
    - Back to landing page
    - opened up calendar, opened up three appointments, and created a bogus one.
    - Back to landing page
    - logged out of blend

Here are my device manager mobile network screens.

Before:

BlackBerry Blend data use-img_20141018_180004.png

BlackBerry Blend data use-img_20141018_180011.png

After:

BlackBerry Blend data use-img_20141018_182336.png

BlackBerry Blend data use-img_20141018_182348.png

BlackBerry Blend data use-img_20141018_182423.png

The one thing that is clear is that all Blend data doesn't get "counted" towards Blend. Seems like a mix of "Blend", "System" and "Pim Services".
    Overall 10 minutes of heavy usage represents about 16MB give or take. Of course, if you're smart and don't load huge files, then you can reduce it I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 10-18-14 at 05:52 PM.
    bluetroll, irweezyy and 00stryder like this.
    10-18-14 05:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    My admittedly uninformed opinion is that if Blend is running off the BlackBerry NOC, than the data will be compressed. I wouldn't be super concerned with data usage if that's true.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 07:03 PM
    Well that's quite complicated.. I wish Blend will work on Bluetooth. Much simpler and no cost...

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:49 PM
    My admittedly uninformed opinion is that if Blend is running off the BlackBerry NOC, than the data will be compressed. I wouldn't be super concerned with data usage if that's true.

Posted via CB10
    There is no indication and not no need for Blend to use BlackBerry servers

10-18-14 10:28 PM
39 12