I recently purchased an Nvidia Shield gaming tablet and had the rude awakening that the tablet does not like BlackBerry. Well that is to say all other android./ iPhone's that I tested worked fine but the tablet does not want to make a connection to my BlackBerry Passport.

I did some searching and did find that one other person posted the same problem using a Z30. I have never had an issue sharing my data by tethering till now after I bought the first tablet I found worthy of my money.

What am I to do now? After all the bumps in the road and work-arounds, am I to plan a different strategy for my next device? It's not even about gaming, I just wanted to use the tablet at work but guess not now.
    Unless I find a fix for this I may be planning a new phone.

Very disappointing indeed!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:10 AM
    I recently purchased an Nvidia Shield gaming tablet and had the rude awakening that the tablet does not like BlackBerry. Well that is to say all other android./ iPhone's that I tested worked fine but the tablet does not want to make a connection to my BlackBerry Passport.
    Your Nvidia Shield gaming tablet doesn't care that the brand on the other side is a BlackBerry. It even didn't know...

Maybe an issue with bluetooth (radio pollution, pairing failing, drivers, hardware, ....), or with your carrier (tethering permission, provisioning, ...). Did you try via the hot-spot feature ? Can be better over Wi-Fi.
    10-27-15 05:20 AM
    I have never had any issue sharing my Hotspot, tethering data to any other device, this is a first. My Telus phone plan hasn't changed and I've always done it. I just tested now connecting to my Acer iconia A500 tablet and it works flawlessly. I am telling you in no uncertain terms that the Nvidia Shield tablet does not connect to my BlackBerry. It sees it and I can enter a password but it only saves it but does not obtain an iP address and just says "Connection Failure".

I honestly don't know what to tell you? This tablet works fine with other devices just not BlackBerry. If I can find another BlackBerry in the wild I will ask them to help me do a test with theirs also, but this is my result.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-27-15 at 08:07 PM.
    10-27-15 08:28 AM
    I recently purchased an Nvidia Shield gaming tablet
    There's a safety recall on some of those tablets, due to battery overheating (Notice for NVIDIA Tablet Customers | NVIDIA Newsroom). If you check this link (Recall), you can find out if yours is affected. Just thought you might want to know.
    10-27-15 08:33 AM
    I know I got scammed and bought the Pre-Recall unit but as a bundle with Game contoller, case cover, 128gb micro SD and tablet 32gb LTE for $250 cnd.
    I turned around and sold the tablet only for $120 as is with full disclosure and with link for any savy hacker that will want to root it and block the kill switch from Nvidia.
    I then purchased another post recalled unit sealed in box for $325 cnd and the guy gave me the Pre-Recalled unit with it both with good cases. I then called the guy I sold mine to and he rooted it and installed BlissPop (cyanogen) on it and it works perfectly. So now I have two and am selling one. The battery recall is precautionary and my not trully affect this unit cause I've had no heat issues.

Actually I am going to check my tethering on the rooted tablet and see if it's Nvidia's software or hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:56 AM
    BlackBerry/BB10 phones have a finicky tethering issue?-img_20151025_200026.jpg

Playing on the big tv haha!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:58 AM
    BlackBerry/BB10 phones have a finicky tethering issue?-img_20151027_100104.jpg

Nope! The rooted one won't connect either. Just saves it and then fails.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 09:01 AM
    Your Nvidia Shield gaming tablet doesn't care that the brand on the other side is a BlackBerry. It even didn't know...

Maybe an issue with bluetooth (radio pollution, pairing failing, drivers, hardware, ....), or with your carrier (tethering permission, provisioning, ...). Did you try via the hot-spot feature ? Can be better over Wi-Fi.
    After much frustration I stopped trying to use the Hotspot option to share data and instead used the bluetooth tethering to share the data. Never had to do that before. I did try earlier but it did not work but now the the second attempt that option did work. Funny how Hotspot doesn't work at all. Been trying that now about a dozen times lol.

Ah well at least it works :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 03:14 PM
    After much frustration I stopped trying to use the Hotspot option to share data and instead used the bluetooth tethering to share the data.
    When you used the term "Tethering", I assumed you weren't able to connect your tablet via the bluetooth tethering feature, as it's called. Glad it's working.

For the Hotspot feature, you probably have to disable this setting :
    Attachment 377904
    10-28-15 03:34 PM
    When you used the term "Tethering", I assumed you weren't able to connect your tablet via the bluetooth tethering feature, as it's called. Glad it's working.

For the Hotspot feature, you probably have to disable this setting :
    Attachment 377904
    I did not have the bluetooth tethering enabled. I started with the Hotspot and it did not work at all. I know I've used it for my kids when on trips and the Acer tablet hooked up to it.

Ah well all I care is I can do it now with the bluetooth. Seems to work just fine but not sure which one provides better bandwidth or speed?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 10:47 PM