Let's just stop now before get out of hand.. pixel hired apple chip designer, let's see how the close system work for Google.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-17 09:05 AM
    But, where is the market for such a product? I'd be shocked if there were 250k people who would want it.

For example, I love BB10, but what I love came from the BlackBerry user experience design team, who built work flows that matches my needs almost perfectly. That team no longer exists, so, even if there is new HW and the OS is updated, there would be no one to build the actual software I use. If third party Devs are going to do that part, then it will just be the Android/iOS app store business model all over again.

What I love about BB10 is frozen in time, with no prospects for improvement. Your scenario, which is probably not viable, wouldn't help me at all.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    i am with you. BB10 represent my "youth" and as part of fond memory (BBOS too). throw the device to the ground was very fun... to see all the parts flying out and can put back together like lego... excellent weapon.
    06-14-17 09:12 AM
    Some of you need to pool your funds together and buy it after blackberry is completely done with it. Them you can do what you want with it. Of course no corporation could be using it any more. That should be pretty close to done.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-14-17 10:09 AM
    BB10 is simply the best Os period. I am lucky i have 4 PP SEs ( three still in the box). I dont care about ios, android, windows, etc. Maybe the the sailfish jolla Os might interest me.

  
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-14-17 11:17 PM
    We have heard it a million times. BB10 OS has the best OS and was made for work flow. We know that it's stuck on Android 4.3 and never ever getting an update.

Many people keep suggesting that if we can just replace BlackBerry World with Google play and keep BlackBerry 10 it would be the best device.

If Google did allow BlackBerry to update the Android run time to the current build, does anyone think that that would save the OS and BlackBerry would make more BB10 phones?

Reason I'm asking is because
    A: would BlackBerry actually be able to market it to the public effectively to make a difference?

B: is the brand recognition of BlackBerry able to gain the support of the Apple /Andoid users if they had the Google play store officially on it?

Large issue is brand recognition, people that are not tech savvy and want a phone go to the mall, ask for Apple or Samsung OR ask the sales rep for their advice..... they usually recommend whatever device makes them money...

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 08:17 AM
    If Google did allow BlackBerry to update the Android run time to the current build, does anyone think that that would save the OS and BlackBerry would make more BB10 phones?
    Posted via CB10
    No, because the far larger problem is the lack of Google Play Services, which is used by most of the top apps. The only way to get those is by having a 100% compatible Android device (no fork / Runtime).
    06-15-17 08:25 AM
    No, because the far larger problem is the lack of Google Play Services, which is used by most of the top apps. The only way to get those is by having a 100% compatible Android device (no fork / Runtime).
    Sorry... I mean that if Google allowed Google play with the services. (I assume it's possible if they wanted to do it).

Basically, all I read is bb10 is awesome but needs Google play.. would it make a difference?

I'm using a Z30 with the play store loaded on it. My own opinion... if BlackBerry was able to release an update to the Z30 and replace BlackBerry World with Google play. I'm in.. but would the general public buy it? That's the main question...

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 08:45 AM
    Sorry... I mean that if Google allowed Google play with the services. (I assume it's possible if they wanted to do it).

Posted via CB10
    There's no reason why Google would abandon OHA requirements for bb10. It would completely fly in the face of why the regulations were set in the first place.
    06-15-17 08:54 AM

Basically, all I read is bb10 is awesome but needs Google play.. would it make a difference?

I'm using a Z30 with the play store loaded on it. My own opinion... if BlackBerry was able to release an update to the Z30 and replace BlackBerry World with Google play. I'm in.. but would the general public buy it? That's the main question...

Posted via CB10
    It's an interesting hypothetical marketing question to discuss, so long as we all recognize that there are multiple business realities that make it impossible in terms of the corporate decisions, partnerships and resource commitments required.

My personal opinion is that smart phones are now a mature market, and that developers, manufacturers and customers are not really interested in taking risks on new platforms. Most of the innovations I expect to see will come from convergence with traditional PCs and from peripheral devices.

06-15-17 09:00 AM
    It's an interesting hypothetical marketing question to discuss, so long as we all recognize that there are multiple business realities that make it impossible in terms of the corporate decisions, partnerships and resource commitments required.

My personal opinion is that smart phones are now a mature market, and that developers, manufacturers and customers are not really interested in taking risks on new platforms. Most of the innovations I expect to see will come from convergence with traditional PCs and from peripheral devices.

Interesting point.

One article I read recently is that people do not keep apps on their phones for a long period of time. Most phones are 16 gig. Thus can only hold so many apps.
    The article said that Web Apps are going to be more popular in the future.

If this is the case, all modern phones will have the same "store".

Food for thought..

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 09:11 AM
    until 2019 ish... go nuts all over again...
    Qualcomm: First 5G Smartphones Coming Mid-2019 | Light Reading
    06-15-17 09:12 AM
    like First and Second))
    06-15-17 09:22 AM
    The article said that Web Apps are going to be more popular in the future.

If this is the case, all modern phones will have the same "store".
    They have been saying this for many years, and it keeps getting farther and farther away from happening.

Now that two apps cover 99.9% of the globe, there is less incentive to switch.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    06-15-17 09:25 AM
    There's no reason why Google would abandon OHA requirements for bb10. It would completely fly in the face of why the regulations were set in the first place.
    Just asking in theory.. if it was possible.
    would it make a difference for BB10?

If it was available, the no app reason for not having success would be out the window..

Question still is. "In theory, would people stay with BB10 if full play store was available?".

As a business owner and consumer.. I would love for stay with it. Mind you.. I'm trying to stretch the life of my Z30 as long as I can. The apps are falling fast though. Even in the play store. Some apps say they need a newer version of Android..

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 09:34 AM

If it was available, the no app reason for not having success would be out the window..

Question still is. "In theory, would people stay with BB10 if full play store was available?".

As a business owner and consumer.. I would love for stay with it. Mind you.. I'm trying to stretch the life of my Z30 as long as I can. The apps are falling fast though. Even in the play store. Some apps say they need a newer version of Android..

Posted via CB10
    If we had current hardware, with Android N and Google Play Services, I probably wouldn't have left, but I don't think it would be enough to bring people to the platform from Android or Apple.

Android notifications are not handled well on BB10, and Android apps don't run in the background as they are designed to do - so there are further usability issues.
    06-15-17 09:38 AM
    Well, we already had BB10 that could run Android apps before they were all so reliant on GPS and with the promise to bring on all the popular apps years ago. But the sales numbers would suggest that it simply didn't interest enough people. I can't even convince my wife to try the K1 even though she is an Android user. People like what works for them and are resistant to change unless you really offer something new. I personally don't see BB10 with Nougat runtime swaying enough people. Even with the runtime, many apps do not run the same as the full native experience.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-15-17 09:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    The question all BB10 people seem to ignore is who would sell a new BB10 phone. BlackBerry is now an enterprise software company, they are out of the hardware business. BlackBerry Mobile / TCL is only doing Android and has an exclusive license for BlackBerry branded hardware in most of the world.
    06-15-17 04:42 PM
    I just don't see why users who want Android apps would want to run them on BB10 in a runtime version of Android instead of in a native Android environment.

I think BB10 is fantastic, but if I wanted Android apps, I would choose an Android phone.

kbz1960 and stlabrat like this.
    06-15-17 07:31 PM
    I just don't see why users who want Android apps would want to run them on BB10 in a runtime version of Android instead of in a native Android environment.

I think BB10 is fantastic, but if I wanted Android apps, I would choose an Android phone.

Agreed. Many just don't run the same. It will be a turn off to people.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 10:01 PM

Agreed, in an equal world.

The problem of course is the fact that BlackBerry World is a ghost town while Android has millions of Apps people now, for better or worse, rely on.

The BB10 OS is fantastic. But as the browser degrades from lack of updates and core BB10 apps are 3 years without an update it!s hard to function in a completely BB10 world.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 06-16-17 at 12:05 AM.
    06-15-17 11:25 PM
    Agreed, in an equal world.

The problem of course is the fact that BlackBerry World is a ghost town while Android has millions of Apps people now, for better or worse, rely on.

The BB10 OS is fantastic. But as the browser degrades from lack of updates and core BB10 apps are 3 years withdrawal out, it!s hard to function in a completely BB10 world.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and the various workarounds that exist to make many Android apps available on BB10 have extended its life for many fans.

But, when people talk about wanting to update the Android run time so they can run more Android apps on BB10, I just shake my head, because Android will always be a better platform than BB10 for Android apps.

06-16-17 12:03 AM
    Yes, and the various workarounds that exist to make many Android apps available on BB10 have extended its life for many fans.

But, when people talk about wanting to update the Android run time so they can run more Android apps on BB10, I just shake my head, because Android will always be a better platform than BB10 for Android apps.

Yeah, it was a workaround to offer the Amazon App store and you're right, it did extend the life of BB10. Not only that it was a great marketing tool.

I used the SNAP workaround a year or so ago but it was too frustrating to hassle it all only to find the app didn't open or function well. Cobalts method is the best now but I can't muster the energy to do it. Not only does it degrade the BB10 experience I don't want to tinker that much with my phone. I just want it to work. Android does that for me. The same experience? No, but much more practical and functional for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 12:11 AM
    Yeah, it was a workaround to offer the Amazon App store and you're right, it did extend the life of BB10. Not only that it was a great marketing tool.

I used the SNAP workaround a year or so ago but it was too frustrating to hassle it all only to find the app didn't open or function well. Cobalts method is the best now but I can't muster the energy to do it. Not only does it degrade the BB10 experience I don't want to tinker that much with my phone. I just want it to work. Android does that for me. The same experience? No, but much more practical and functional for me.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have installed and used Cobalt's tools, and they would be a life saver if I absolutely needed an Android app to run on BB10 that could function in the 4.3 runtime.

However, on my old Z10, none of the Android apps I've installed with Cobalt's tools met my minimum standards for performance. To say they ran slower than the native BB10 apps is an enormous understatement!

I'm still 99% happy with the performance of my Z10 running native apps, and I'm happy to fire up my Windows 10 Pro laptop for anything I can't do with a native app.

I know there are a handful of retail loyalty programs that require apps for rewards, but I just take the attitude that they must not want my business, because even if I had an Android phone, I would not install those kinds of commercial apps where I trade my consumer behavior data for small financial gains.

06-16-17 07:46 AM
    The question all BB10 people seem to ignore is who would sell a new BB10 phone. BlackBerry is now an enterprise software company, they are out of the hardware business. BlackBerry Mobile / TCL is only doing Android and has an exclusive license for BlackBerry branded hardware in most of the world.
    Unicorns and Fairy Dust, Inc?
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-16-17 07:49 AM
    The question all BB10 people seem to ignore is who would sell a new BB10 phone. BlackBerry is now an enterprise software company
    Yeah a software company that doesn't supply updates to its BB10 software. BlackBerry has a track record of no loyalty, ask half of the BBOS 5 users from back in the day if they received the OS6 upgrade. Cause I think like two models had that upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 05:23 PM
207 ... 23456 ...