If I didn't know the reason why would I use BlackBerry,i would have been using something else.my point is how should I make them understand that BlackBerry thing to them.

Passport Silver Edition
    Tell them why you like it. What's more to say?
    06-11-17 02:32 PM
    Problem is, Android was a hot mess in 2008/09/10 when this would have needed to be done. BlackBerry's only differentiating play is security, and Android was utterly unsecurable back then.

Kitkat in 2014 would have been the earliest version they could have worked with.
    Then by that argument BlackBerry should have released BlackBerry 10 only to enterprises -- requiring direct corporate purchase only through the phone carriers, if at all.

Otherwise you are targeting consumers with an OS that can't run consumer apps.

I think BlackBerry had more than just an appeal to security, at one point. They used to be "cool". Plenty of regular people used to buy BlackBerry phones without having any idea about security.
    06-11-17 03:41 PM
    tool not toy changed when the CIO and majority of the NA company went to BYOD due to cost cutting. All most over night, your cusotmer requirement changed from Corp. CIO want security, efficiency (comparession to save money on data plan and uniform platform for easy integration and up grade due to corp owned devices), to what wife/kids/better half wanted gps, wechats, facebook, game, youtube, street map, etc. on line shopping is another... Amazon got leg up with stealing of playbook and under cut the sales below cost - due to uploaded amazon book reader and shopping app... as you pay your own device, of course, you feel less focused on what Corp needs, more on the personal needs... from that moment, BB design was try to play catch up game and never caught on... (design of hardware and software criteria were completely different after the BYOD... Many Corp found out after the BYOD how much they have to pay for iphone data compare to BB in early days, how many they have to hire IT to support various handsets, how difficult to defend the network security if everybody are download from various site of apps... it was too late. If you don't believe me, just check how large IT dept are - head counts, at university... and their budget... BYOD need close monitoring). Well, there is no turning back now.
    06-11-17 03:50 PM
    Then by that argument BlackBerry should have released BlackBerry 10 only to enterprises -- requiring direct corporate purchase only through the phone carriers, if at all.

Otherwise you are targeting consumers with an OS that can't run consumer apps.

I think BlackBerry had more than just an appeal to security, at one point. They used to be "cool". Plenty of regular people used to buy BlackBerry phones without having any idea about security.
    Consumer apps are also used by professionals and businesses. The majority of companies and government branches I deal with have a social media presence and share info exclusively through those outlets. Major biotech companies, the National Institutes of Health in the US, universities, etc. use them to communicate. The NIH broadcasts special events exclusively through some of these outlets. Many companies offer discounts through social media outlets.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 06:22 PM
    Consumer apps are also used by professionals and businesses. The majority of companies and government branches I deal with have a social media presence and share info exclusively through those outlets. Major biotech companies, the National Institutes of Health in the US, universities, etc. use them to communicate. The NIH broadcasts special events exclusively through some of these outlets. Many companies offer discounts through social media outlets.

Posted via CB10
    True. Which can all be done better via an iPhone. That's not a market advantage, though I can't deny what you say is true.

In fact it was a reason to avoid BlackBerry 10 for those use cases. Facebook for bb10. Wait let me launch that on my passport. Oh wait. Oh yeah. Sigh.
    06-11-17 06:35 PM
    How are they toys if almost every professional in the world is using them and being productive? I know people that have all kinds of jobs that don't complain about their toys.

Posted via CB10
    Your assumption that people who buy mobile phones are being productive does not mean they wouldn't be equally or more productive on a different phone. Very few consumers choose their mobile phones based on their professional needs rather than personal preferences.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-12-17 05:59 AM
    Your assumption that people who buy mobile phones are being productive does not mean they wouldn't be equally or more productive on a different phone. Very few consumers choose their mobile phones based on their professional needs rather than personal preferences.

Exactly. You said it. They can be equally productive on different phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-17 07:08 AM
    Exactly. You said it. They can be equally productive on different phones.

Posted via CB10
    That's not what I said at all. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference between your statement and mine.

06-12-17 09:02 AM
    There are many good points here but some things that haven't been mentioned.

Product perceptions is key.

The history of bb10 is well documented but the main issue is what the public sees as a status symbol. Many of the people I know that left BlackBerry for Apple still talk about stock price and how valuable Apple is thus they use their phone. For some reason they feel empowered using a phone made by a company that is making billions by over charging them.

I honestly get this argument on a weekly basis when people see my Z30. My response is always, "how much stock do you own? ". .... crickets.....

sayings this now brings up a new point... BlackBerry stock has been on a high the last couple of months, they are making waves in the IOT, connected /autonomous cars divisions as well as other non BlackBerry phone products.

They are defending a large intellectual patent case vs Aviya that will a: bring them over a billion dollars in cash and b: show other companies the value of their portfolio.

This brings me to my point. No matter how much we all love BB10 as an OS, no matter how secure BlackBerry Android may be. BlackBerry will be a target for takeover after they show positive cash flow and a rising stock.

Once Chen and the board see a Stock price of maybe $45/ share, they just may be sold.

Now. Question is, who will buy them. I always thought Microsoft would be a perfect fit but I think the shift may cause a few companies to start a small bidding war.

List that may buy....

A : Microsoft
    B : apple -. For connected car business..
    C: alphabet -. For connected car and secure android solution..
    D: Samsung, -. Phone patents. -. I don't think it would be a blocked sale now. It's not 2007 and governments already use Samsung phones..

That's just a few....

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-12-17 09:55 AM
    I got a,b, I am stay away c,d. (those are the grades my father told me if I get it, I'll get into deep trouble... a and b will get my scholarship :-).

Posted via CB10
    06-12-17 10:08 AM
    You can be productive with both android and ios, android has it's unparalleled customisation (which can turn it to a timesink if you choose to) and ios has it's simplicity and long time support for the hardware.
    You can buy a passport and play emulators or post shait maymays all day long as with every other smartphone.
    So how come BlackBerry is not able to offer the same experience on Android as we have on BlackBerry 10?
    How come even in a review posted on crackberry I read that if you use Hub and all the extra BlackBerry layers on the Keyone you end up with lag?
    Is Android OS (I am not talking about the fork Android versions that are trully opened source) really that customizable?

These are questions for real, I'm not trying to say you are not right.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-17 01:04 PM
    So how come BlackBerry is not able to offer the same experience on Android as we have on BlackBerry 10?
    Because stripping out Google Play Services and forcing people to use workarounds and jump through hoops in order to install apps would be counterproductive.
    06-13-17 01:21 PM
    Hub by default is going to be a bit lag due to extra processing to aggregate all your account into one.. why someone expect it to be faster?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-17 01:24 PM
    How come even in a review posted on crackberry I read that if you use Hub and all the extra BlackBerry layers on the Keyone you end up with lag?
    Is Android OS (I am not talking about the fork Android versions that are trully opened source) really that customizable?

These are questions for real, I'm not trying to say you are not right.

Posted via CB10
    Android is just a dumb OS like Windows that is not optimized for any particular application or workflow, while BB10, though more limited, was tuned specifically for the "traditional" BlackBerry PIM functions.

For those of us who still prefer BB10, that's the downside of a switch to Android.

The same way as an old DOS computer could run circles around Windows on equivalent hardware for certain applications, BB10 is much more efficient than Android for the Hub and other core (MS Exchange type) functions.

stlabrat and AllanQuatermain like this.
    06-13-17 01:25 PM
    It's the same reason people don't buy a Camero and then spend $100,000 to try to make it perform like a Corvette - in the end, it will never match the Corvette overall (which was built and designed for a higher level of performance in the first place), and even after spending all that money and doing all that work, your super-Camero will probably have a lower resale value than the stock Corvette.

Android is not BB10. It was never designed around having a "hub" as the primary communications center, and it wasn't designed to be 100% gesture navigation (much less to use the same gestures as BB10). And, yes, while you can theoretically make all of those changes to Android, that would be an intensive, lengthy, expensive process - AND you'd have to repeat much of that work every time you moved to a new version of Android, because all of that "BB10-like" code would not be part of the stock Android build, and would need to be re-integrated each time. That would not only cost a LOT of money, but it would also take a lot of extra time, further delaying the amount of time it would take BB to make a new version of Android available. Finally, all of these changes would only really appeal to a relatively small number of people, while stock Android is familiar to billions of people.

To put it another way: there would be absolutely no Return On Investment (ROI), and it would in fact generate losses in both money and time (and the time lost would mean losing a competitive advantage against other companies, which ultimately costs even more money).

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    06-13-17 06:37 PM
    Sad

Posted via CB10
    06-13-17 07:05 PM
    if someone got the will and power to completely re-vamp the SDK of BB10, make it auto-size, not compatible to droid, but fast download and up load as 5G plus a bit of AI (deep learning), a slab or KB will knock the socks off the others... provide there is one or two respectable chaps in the lead with both hardware and software background...Steve J jump off from the ground will do it...;-). the time is almost perfect (can not say the same after 6 month).
    06-14-17 07:19 AM
    if someone got the will and power to completely re-vamp the SDK of BB10, make it auto-size, not compatible to droid, but fast download and up load as 5G plus a bit of AI (deep learning), a slab or KB will knock the socks off the others... provide there is one or two respectable chaps in the lead with both hardware and software background...Steve J jump off from the ground will do it...;-). the time is almost perfect (can not say the same after 6 month).
    Even if some changes could be made to BB10, how would the BlackBerry signing keys be obtained? Without them, they wouldn't install.

Oh, and there still wouldn't be any ecosystem.
    06-14-17 08:26 AM
    The thought of start something new is really scary, especially without Google.
    06-14-17 08:38 AM
    But, where is the market for such a product? I'd be shocked if there were 250k people who would want it.

For example, I love BB10, but what I love came from the BlackBerry user experience design team, who built work flows that matches my needs almost perfectly. That team no longer exists, so, even if there is new HW and the OS is updated, there would be no one to build the actual software I use. If third party Devs are going to do that part, then it will just be the Android/iOS app store business model all over again.

What I love about BB10 is frozen in time, with no prospects for improvement. Your scenario, which is probably not viable, wouldn't help me at all.

stlabrat likes this.
    06-14-17 08:41 AM
    How much do you envision such a project will cost? How long would you expect this endeavor to take?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-14-17 08:53 AM
    Your fantasizing missed "convince any third-party developer that BB10 is worthwhile".

The thought of start something new is really scary, especially without Google.
    Tick tock.
    06-14-17 08:56 AM
    It is all depends upon who is in the lead. Some wanna be. Infinite. Learning curve is going to kill them. IMHO.
    06-14-17 08:58 AM
    It is all depends upon who is in the lead. Some wanna be. Infinite. Learning curve is going to kill them. IMHO.
    And the signing keys?
    06-14-17 08:59 AM
    No body mentioned 3rd party. You need go back to the DNA. :-). Just my opinion, of course, I am not in the box...
    06-14-17 09:01 AM
207 12345 ...