02-03-18 07:14 PM
33 12
tools
    Just set up email manually with the server address and it's not an issue. This was put in place as a convenience feature for consumers who don't understand how email works and just wanted it setup.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I appreciate your participation, but you should direct that at the OP.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    02-02-18 04:40 PM
    I appreciate your participation, but you should direct that at the OP.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Fixed

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-02-18 05:19 PM
    My recollection is that as a huge lurker before buying classic #1 , I knew about the transition to the bb server during auto setup, and that is the reason I used manual setup on classic #1 . So, no problem there.

Now, passport #1 sort of pushed me into it accidentally because it had been updated to 10.3.3.3057 and the SSL/TLS stack did not play nice with my server as detailed in the other thread.

There were multiple reasons for the update. First, to avoid the annoying update nag screen. Second, there seemed to be worthwhile improvements. Third, I have no expectation that there will be any further updates.

So no, I do not expect that there will be any changes, or indeed that there is a dedicated dev team working on BB10.

A more nagging consideration is whether the blackberry protect servers and bbm will continue to function, and what will happen if they go offline. Especially the bb protect servers since bb protect now auto enables on every single reboot of the phone no matter what the setting was before the reboot. A whole bunch of phones might become paper weights after a reboot. Secure wipes might not be possible, autoloader usage as an alternative might not be possible. Retrieval of apps after a wipe might not be possible.

A REAL FANTASY for EOL of BB10 would be a final OPTIONAL update that introduces a bootloader that passes the hardware bootloader check, but which does not enforce signature checks upstream of the bootloader. Or alternatively, release of the code signing keys. Then coders can finally really go to town.

Otherwise, a whole bunch of phones are going to become paperweights.
    02-02-18 10:43 PM
    it's BlackBerry though. Expect paperweights.
    02-02-18 11:03 PM
    A more nagging consideration is whether the blackberry protect servers and bbm will continue to function, and what will happen if they go offline. Especially the bb protect servers since bb protect now auto enables on every single reboot of the phone no matter what the setting was before the reboot. A whole bunch of phones might become paper weights after a reboot. Secure wipes might not be possible, autoloader usage as an alternative might not be possible. Retrieval of apps after a wipe might not be possible.

A REAL FANTASY for EOL of BB10 would be a final OPTIONAL update that introduces a bootloader that passes the hardware bootloader check, but which does not enforce signature checks upstream of the bootloader. Or alternatively, release of the code signing keys. Then coders can finally really go to town.

Otherwise, a whole bunch of phones are going to become paperweights.
    What happens to all the BB10 phones still in use when the servers are shut down is definitely a question we don't have an answer to at this time. It was the first question that came to mind and asked on these forums when the announcement was made.

So far, BlackBerry has not answered that question.

Releasing the signing keys is a fantasy idea.

It may be more likely that BlackBerry releases an OS update that simply releases the phone from reliance on background NOC servers.
    02-03-18 01:45 AM
    I wonder if the carriers have gotten in front of the shutdown by at least asking. While the phones are way past support, most people do not come to CB, don't care, and will just flood the support lines with calls about no service/dead phones. Even if the carriers have a script to say "sorry, go away", it still takes time to say it.
    02-03-18 02:04 PM
    My guess is that it will be something modeled after the way carriers have handled past service changes to stubborn customers - like for the shutdown of the analog cell services back in 2008. My dad was one who still had an old analog cell phone and was hounded by his carrier to get a new phone because his would go dead.

Or when AT&T shutdown of 2G/Edge cell service at the end of 2016. I don't know how may Pearl 8100 users were still active at the time (I know there were other 2G BlackBerry phones, but I'm just using the example of the one I had), but I'm sure AT&T was trying to get them to let go.

Something like that. I'd imagine they might try.
    02-03-18 02:25 PM
    I wonder if the carriers have gotten in front of the shutdown by at least asking. While the phones are way past support, most people do not come to CB, don't care, and will just flood the support lines with calls about no service/dead phones. Even if the carriers have a script to say "sorry, go away", it still takes time to say it.
    They'll happily inform you it's time for a new phone and transfer you from service to sales and email you a list of closest retail carrier locations if you prefer to upgrade in person.
    02-03-18 07:14 PM
33 12