I bought used and bricked Passport - the seller did security wipe and it did bricked the phone. I debricked it with newest software but it when I typed my BBID, it told me that Auto Theft is enabled and asked to login with BBID which enabled it.

So I contacted seller, it took a day until he responded, he sent me password (unwillingly because he still use his BBID with BBM for iphone). So I booted the Passport and the login screen changed - it offered me to login or create new BBID. Nothing like previous option - only to login. So I tried my BBID and it logged in. No Protect, no Anti Theft.

Seller says that he did nothing.. He also said that he disabled before security wipe (never enabled) BB Protect/AntiTheft. Is is possible that somehow the phone after a few hours on wifi connection, until I turned it off for night, realized that there is not Antitheft enabled? Or maybe updated this from BB servers? It is a mystery to me . Anyone experienced something like this?
    05-16-18 08:07 AM
    I bought used and bricked Passport - the seller did security wipe and it did bricked the phone. I debricked it with newest software but it when I typed my BBID, it told me that Auto Theft is enabled and asked to login with BBID which enabled it.

So I contacted seller, it took a day until he responded, he sent me password (unwillingly because he still use his BBID with BBM for iphone). So I booted the Passport and the login screen changed - it offered me to login or create new BBID. Nothing like previous option - only to login. So I tried my BBID and it logged in. No Protect, no Anti Theft.

Seller says that he did nothing.. He also said that he disabled before security wipe (never enabled) BB Protect/AntiTheft. Is is possible that somehow the phone after a few hours on wifi connection, until I turned it off for night, realized that there is not Antitheft enabled? Or maybe updated this from BB servers? It is a mystery to me . Anyone experienced something like this?
    Despite what he said, he must have removed the device from BlackBerry Protect online.
    05-16-18 08:44 AM
    So if I remove device on the web, it will disable BB Protect on the device too?
    I always thought that it is not possible, but I never tried. So the mystery may be solved and he didn't tell me truth.. Thank you for this information.
    05-16-18 09:38 AM
    If he said that he did a security wipe, but the login screen still popped up, I would suggest an OS error. That did happen to me once. After I conducted the security wipe, the phone asked me to log in with the original ID, and lucky for me, it was still my phone. I input the ID but before I input the password, the phone was back to the open-box status.
    If I have to sell my phone or change ID, I will do the security wipe twice.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 01:02 PM
    If he said that he did a security wipe, but the login screen still popped up, I would suggest an OS error. That did happen to me once. After I conducted the security wipe, the phone asked me to log in with the original ID, and lucky for me, it was still my phone. I input the ID but before I input the password, the phone was back to the open-box status.
    If I have to sell my phone or change ID, I will do the security wipe twice.

Posted via CB10
    Security wipe doesn't affect or interfere with anti-theft.
    05-16-18 01:24 PM
    Security wipe doesn't affect or interfere with anti-theft.
    I am pretty sure that after security wipe, you don't need the original ID to log in.
    A security wipe is supposed to make the phone go back to the factory status, isn't it?
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    Cause when I have to switch to another Passport or switch BBID, I have to do a security wipe. And normally I won't have to input my original ID to finish the setup process.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 01:30 PM
    I am pretty sure that after security wipe, you don't need the original ID to log in.
    A security wipe is supposed to make the phone go back to the factory status, isn't it?
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    Cause when I have to switch to another Passport or switch BBID, I have to do a security wipe. And normally I won't have to input my original ID to finish the setup process.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Nothing can circumvent anti-theft. Not an autoloader, and not a security wipe.

You had to have disabled BlackBerry Protect prior to your wipe - either intentionally or accidentally.
    05-16-18 01:32 PM
    Nope. Nothing can circumvent anti-theft. Not an autoloader, and not a security wipe.
    But doesn't anti-theft require BBID to log in?
    When I turn off the BlackBerry Protect, I also turn off the anti-theft, and the same result by doing a security wipe.
    If a security wipe doesn't affect anti-theft, what will I do when I have to sell a phone to enable others to log in with their own BBID?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 01:36 PM
    But doesn't anti-theft require BBID to log in?
    When I turn off the BlackBerry Protect, I also turn off the anti-theft, and the same result by doing a security wipe.
    If a security wipe doesn't affect anti-theft, what will I do when I have to sell a phone to enable others to log in with their own BBID?

Posted via CB10
    Turning off BlackBerry Protect prior to a wipe disables anti-theft (and the need to use the previous BBID) - NOT the security wipe itself.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-16-18 02:14 PM
    Turning off BlackBerry Protect prior to a wipe disables anti-theft (and the need to use the previous BBID) - NOT the security wipe itself.
    My understanding is if you turn on the BlackBerry Protect, you will need to authenticate before proceeding security wipe, meaning entering the password. That will disable the BlackBerry Protect and then do the security wipe. I consider it one step.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 08:02 PM
    My understanding is if you turn on the BlackBerry Protect, you will need to authenticate before proceeding security wipe, meaning entering the password. That will disable the BlackBerry Protect and then do the security wipe. I consider it one step.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not following your statement.

If you do a security wipe with Protect enabled, it will still be enabled after the wipe - and it will ask you for existing BBID.

If you do a security wipe with Protect disabled, it will still be disabled after the wipe - and it won't ask you for existing BBID.
    05-16-18 08:41 PM
    I'm not following your statement.

If you do a security wipe with Protect enabled, it will still be enabled after the wipe - and it will ask you for existing BBID.

If you do a security wipe with Protect disabled, it will still be disabled after the wipe - and it won't ask you for existing BBID.
    Doesn't conducting a security wipe require the input of BBID and the password?
    And it should disable the BlackBerry Protect first and then wipe the device.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-18 01:36 AM
    Doesn't conducting a security wipe require the input of BBID and the password?
    And it should disable the BlackBerry Protect first and then wipe the device.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't, no.
    05-17-18 06:09 AM
    It doesn't, no.
    It does on mine.
    Maybe I should conduct a security wipe to be sure.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-18 06:28 AM
    It does on mine.
    Maybe I should conduct a security wipe to be sure.

Posted via CB10
    It will ask you to type in the word "BlackBerry" to confirm.
    05-17-18 06:49 AM
    It will ask you to type in the word "BlackBerry" to confirm.
    I am pretty sure it will require me to input my BBID password.
    I can't attach the picture at the moment but I do get the pop up frame asking me to key in my password when I try to do the security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-18 09:20 AM