09-10-15 02:28 PM
28 12
tools
    I lent my friend my Z10. Got it back and did a re-load from the autoloader.

The auto-loader asked for a password, so I got the device password from him.

Auto-loader completed successfully, I've connected to my WiFi network but it won't let me sign in with my BBID. I get an error saying "The BlackBerry anti-theft feature is on. Please sign in with the BBID used to set up the device".

Well no BBID has been used to set it up - it's a fresh install with the autoloader. What can I do?
    09-09-15 08:24 PM
    I lent my friend my Z10. Got it back and did a re-load from the autoloader.

The auto-loader asked for a password, so I got the device password from him.

Auto-loader completed successfully, I've connected to my WiFi network but it won't let me sign in with my BBID. I get an error saying "The BlackBerry anti-theft feature is on. Please sign in with the BBID used to set up the device".

Well no BBID has been used to set it up - it's a fresh install with the autoloader. What can I do?
    It's looking for the bbid that was active on the device prior to running the autoloader.

This is the whole point of anti-theft - to prevent a thief from gaining use of the device after running an autoloader or performing a security wipe.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    walcolm and highos like this.
    09-09-15 08:27 PM
    The autoloader required the device's password, they wouldn't be able to run it regardless.

This is a pointless second step.

Add to that there's no way to change the BBID or sign-out without running an auto-loader, I'd say this is a pretty silly "feature".

Thanks, BlackBerry, can't use my own phone!

EDIT: The device's PIN is showing up under my BlackBerry protect page too.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-09-15 08:45 PM
    The autoloader required the device's password, they wouldn't be able to run it regardless.

Add to that there's no way to change the BBID or sign-out without running an auto-loader, I'd say this is a pretty silly "feature".

Unfortunately you wrong if someone put your password 10 times wrong the device will wipe it self and the device can be use if below os 10.3.2
    kadthekid and highos like this.
    09-09-15 08:52 PM

It was your device you set up the device and gave it to your friend, so you should know the bbid. Or your friend set it up so he should know the bbid.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-09-15 08:53 PM

Not everyone uses a device password. So it may be redundant for some, but essential for most.

Besides, there are ways to bypass a password, but no way to get by this.

All you have to do is sign out of BlackBerry Protect prior to running the autoloader, and anti-theft is disabled.

Personally, I think the implementation is brilliant.

09-09-15 08:54 PM
    It was your device you set up the device and gave it to your friend, so you should know the bbid. Or your friend set it up so he should know the bbid.

For obvious reasons I didn't lend it to him with my BBID on there. But my BBID was on there prior to me running the autoloader to give it to him.

The device is showing under my own BlackBerry Protect login online. I should be able to manage any BBID on the device, without requiring the guy I lent it to to provide me his password.
    09-09-15 08:56 PM
    For obvious reasons I didn't lend it to him with my BBID on there. But my BBID was on there prior to me running the autoloader to give it to him.

The device is showing under my own BlackBerry Protect login online. I should be able to manage any BBID on the device, without requiring the guy I lent it to to provide me his password.
    OK so the bbid is the one you used to log in to BlackBerry Protect. Since it's locating the phone with that bbid.
    And if he's no longer using the phone I don't see the harm in getting the password if it was his bbid you needed.

09-09-15 09:00 PM
    Not everyone uses a device password. So it may be redundant for some, but essential for most.

Besides, there are ways to bypass a password, but no way to get by this.
    What's the point of a password then if it can be bypassed?

If the autoloader is provided the device password, it should not require the old BBID, especially if the BBID I'm attempting to log in with is the original BBID that was used for the very first setup of the device.
    09-09-15 09:01 PM
    All you have to do is sign out of BlackBerry Protect prior to running the autoloader, and anti-theft is disabled.
    BlackBerry Protect will turn itself on during a restart, does it not do this when using an autoloader?

09-09-15 09:02 PM
    What's the point of a password then if it can be bypassed?
    It can only be bypassed by wiping the device. Same as all other smartphones on the planet. Your data is safe. This is not a security issue.

09-09-15 09:04 PM
    As the device owner, I should be able to do whatever I want with it - this can be proven by the fact that I'm signing in with the BBID that the device PIN is registered to.

If BlackBerry would have let me sign OUT of my BBID before lending it to him, I wouldn't have had to do any of this autoloader BS.
    It can only be bypassed by wiping the device. Same as all other smartphones on the planet.
    But if wiping the device requires the password...
    This is not rocket science.

If you do not log out of BlackBerry Protect prior to wiping your device either with a security wipe (which removes your password), or an autoloader (which does not), then you must provide your bbid that was active prior to the wipe.

This is elegant, simple, and meets the new legislative requirements. Perfect.

habs_fan and millwright40 like this.
    09-09-15 09:12 PM
    It isn't elegant or simple. It means that the owner of the device can't manage the device. It's absurd.
    09-09-15 09:15 PM
    It isn't elegant or simple. It means that the owner of the device can't manage the device. It's absurd.
    Can you use the bbid or not?
    If you were a thief and didn't have the bbid and password you'd be sol and the owner would be happy you were sol.
    I've seen this come up a lot lately and every time I'm dumbfounded how you lose or forget your bbid.
    It's always a user error. If you legit can't access the phone you own I'd be on the phone with BlackBerry doing all the hoops to prove I own it and get them to help me. It would be extremely aggravating, but life sucks so there you go.

habs_fan likes this.
    09-09-15 09:21 PM
    The device PIN is showing under my BB Protect login. That should be all that's required to prove I own the phone and give me the ability to set up the device.
    09-09-15 09:23 PM
    The device PIN is showing under my BB Protect login. That should be all that's required to prove I own the phone and give me the ability to set up the device.
    Do you remember your bbid password?
    Just sign in using that
    09-09-15 09:24 PM
    Just sign in using that
    Clearly I do as I can sign into my BlackBerry Protect page on the website.

However, despite the device's PIN being attached to my BlackBerry Protect/BBID profile or whatever, I can't sign into the device with that ID.
    09-09-15 09:25 PM
    What is your age?

Silver Edition Passport
    habs_fan likes this.
    09-09-15 09:30 PM
    Just sign in using that
    That's the problem. It's not rocket science.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-09-15 09:31 PM
    That's the problem. It's not rocket science.
    Um...

Clearly I do as I can sign into my BlackBerry Protect page on the website.

What is your age?
    29-35. Would you like to know my gender, race and hair colour too?
    09-09-15 09:33 PM
    OK so it's not working with your bbid so it must be signed in with your friends. So you'll need to get that info.

09-09-15 09:35 PM
    I'd rather just disable this anti-theft crap altogether.
    09-09-15 11:16 PM
    I'd rather just disable this anti-theft crap altogether.
    You can thank your government for that.

09-09-15 11:22 PM
28 12