People ask why are there a smaller amount of native Apps, this certainly doesn't help matters, why bother developing Native when they advertise an alternative App store ?

Seeing that is like a kick in the gonads, especially as a dev
    08-08-15 11:39 AM
    They are letting people know that they can find apps that aren't in BlackBerry world on the amazonappstore. What does this have to do with you? Are you developing a candy crush for BlackBerry ?
    08-08-15 01:44 PM
    People ask why are there a smaller amount of native Apps, this certainly doesn't help matters, why bother developing Native when they advertise an alternative App store ?

https://static.dyp.im/Lvd6VkOzRl/lar...dd32a4db4d.png
    https://static.dyp.im/nOP5AQbx3K/lar...9d7184fe96.png

Seeing that is like a kick in the gonads, especially as a dev
    I'm sure that native developers must've seen that and felt a bit like it was a kick right where you said.
    Just imagine if eventually that becomes a Google Play Store promotion inside BBW. I support native apps, but I imagine few ppl care when it comes to simple apps.

From what I've seen in the Forums here, many people don't care if apps are native or not unless the app needed is a utility that needs to be native to tie into the OS for performance and in order to do its "thing".

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2339 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 08-08-15 at 02:06 PM.
    08-08-15 01:53 PM
    What does this have to do with you?
    I'm a native developer, if you had a shop and someone placed a advertisement for another shop selling your products in your window wouldn't you be pissed?

Discouraging Native development isn't going to help BlackBerry one bit.
    08-08-15 01:58 PM
    I'm a native developer, if you had a shop and someone placed a advertisement for another shop selling your products in your window wouldn't you be pissed?

THIS^ 1,000,000%+++++

Z10 /3 - 10.3.2.2239/841 - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    08-08-15 02:46 PM
    They are letting people know that they can find apps that aren't in BlackBerry world on the amazonappstore. What does this have to do with you? Are you developing a candy crush for BlackBerry ?
    It's not rocket science to figure out that most users won't be bothered to check two App Stores. It hurts native developers if the Amazon Store becomes where the users start to go to first.

paulwallace1234 likes this.
    08-08-15 03:39 PM
    Well, they could keep the Amazon App Store a secret and users will look for certain apps, not find it, and abandon BB10...

If native apps were only clones of apps in other app stores, who cares? If the native apps provided a better experience, then people would invest in the native app.
    08-08-15 03:52 PM
    Well, they could keep the Amazon App Store a secret and users will look for certain apps, not find it, and abandon BB10...

If native apps were only clones of apps in other app stores, who cares? If the native apps provided a better experience, then people would invest in the native app.
    It's hardly a secret, it's a icon on the Homescreen which kinda stands out
    08-08-15 03:57 PM
    If you had a brick & mortar store selling certain goods & people shopping there looked up Amazon on their smartphone to compare prices, wouldn't you be pissed too?

Happens all the time. Welcome to the real world. You're not exempt.
    08-08-15 04:48 PM
    Yes but since the store is now preloaded such as th ease with 10.2.x there isn't a need in the default app store.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 06:25 PM
    If you had a brick & mortar store selling certain goods & people shopping there looked up Amazon on their smartphone to compare prices, wouldn't you be pissed too?

Happens all the time. Welcome to the real world. You're not exempt.
    Doesn't happen as often in the Smartphone real world. Well, maybe until Apple, Google and Windows Phone do the same and promote an alternative app Store within their official store ahahhahaha

08-08-15 06:39 PM
    Haven't they been doing that for some time now? I forget how many months ago it was, but didn't Chen or someone else at BB outright state that developers should be building their apps for the Amazon store?
    08-08-15 07:33 PM
    We prefer Native Built for BlackBerry Apps over android or ported apps. So don't worry!

SihZou Z10
    08-09-15 01:16 AM
    It's a bit of a Catch-22. BB10 users want native BB10 apps, there aren't enough BB10 users to support increased native BB10 development, advertising the alternative app storefront will hopefully gain/retain more BB10 users.

Not all BB10 users are CB readers. Many need a reminder in their face for the secondary place they can look for their desired apps & games.
    The dual-storefront is unattractive to new BB10 users, but less unattractive than missing even more apps. Lesser of two evils.

Hopefully what's good for BB10 will be good for BB10 devs. If not now, then eventually. Eventually, but before it's too late!
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    08-09-15 08:41 PM
    Best solution would be that blackberry uses Amazon APIs to list apps from the Amazon app store within blackberry world along with native apps.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    schlurch likes this.
    08-09-15 09:37 PM
    Haven't they been doing that for some time now? I forget how many months ago it was, but didn't Chen or someone else at BB outright state that developers should be building their apps for the Amazon store?
    I'll re-phrase that comment, discourage native development even more, the encourging native devs to develop for Android was a kick in the slats, but advertising it in our trading area/shop is out of line
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-10-15 05:28 AM
    If I have a need for an app to perform a certain function, my 1st instinct is to look in BBW. If it's not there then Amazon then Snap. I think most BlackBerry users do this.
    The Android apps I have are popular apps that only exist on Android (or IOS).
    If developers put out useful BlackBerry apps, BlackBerry users will buy. Only problem is we're a small community right now. I think that more than anything is what drove developers away.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 07:13 AM
    Don't worry, be happy.

It's a safe bet that 100% of BB 10 users will always prefer Built for BlackBerry.
    That is the section where I always look first, when I search an app.

However, if you search "built for blackberry" in Appworld you will find that a few of these apps have only 3 stars or less, so Built for BlackBerry is still no guarantee that the app runs better than a (converted) apk.

As a customer I am happy that I have a least some alternatives if I have trouble finding an app.

But again, imho the Built for BlackBerry mark in combination with some good rating is worth money, because users will always prefer this type of app over any equivalent Amazon's apk.
    08-10-15 07:30 AM
    If I have a need for an app to perform a certain function, my 1st instinct is to look in BBW. If it's not there then Amazon then Snap. I think most BlackBerry users do this.
    The Android apps I have are popular apps that only exist on Android (or IOS).
    If developers put out useful BlackBerry apps, BlackBerry users will buy. Only problem is we're a small community right now. I think that more than anything is what drove developers away.

Posted via CB10
    If I need an App.... I go to Cobalt's Google Pay first. I don't know how many BlackBerry users are like you and how many are like me, but if I want an up to date app, BlackBerry world isn't a good place to find it.

For me, BlackBerry world is where I go for utility apps like Power Tools. But if I want a Game, Weather, Social Apps, or a tool for Work..... Google Play is the place to find those.

I don't use Amazon either... as most of it's apps are also several versions behind on updates.

It Football Season, I was getting my Z10 ready this weekend, downloading some apps for Collage and Professional Football (USA type).

BlackBerry World = most are 2013, with a couple updated in 2014 (official NFL APP - 12-8-2014 - no WatchESPN)
    Amazon = most are 2014 (didn't see the official NFL App - WatchESPN app was last updated in 2012)
    Google Play = all are up to date for this season with 2015 dates. (official NFL APP - 8-8-2015 - WatchESPN 1-13-2015)
    6stringriffs likes this.
    08-10-15 08:06 AM
    If I am looking for an app, I check BBW first. More times than I care to remember, I cannot find what I am looking for; it is simply not there. I hop over to Amazon App store or the Google Play Store for BBRY and bingo, I have options! To me, having an alternative app store or two doesn't make or break the user experience on my phone. I think of it as having choices though I would definitely prefer BBW apps.

On the other hand, while I can appreciate the arguments put forward by the BB10 developers on this issue, the "death" of platform, even before the Android "solution," has been the lack of apps and needless to say, quality apps. I think it is somewhat disingenuous to lay the blame totally on BBRY offering an Android app-store solution. If there is a quality native app available, I am all for it and am willing to pay reasonably for it. However, where there is none, the Android store is a useful option that satisfies my personal and professional app needs. It is one way to keep some current users and hopefully, appeal to non-BBRY users as well.
    08-10-15 10:49 AM
    I'll re-phrase that comment, discourage native development even more, the encourging native devs to develop for Android was a kick in the slats, but advertising it in our trading area/shop is out of line
    Sounds like a T-Mobile USA level offense! BlackBerry should end their relationship with BlackBerry World!
    08-10-15 04:02 PM
    Personally I dont like the amazon app store. Was hoping they had good music buying service like BlackBerry world USED to have. Also do NOT like how I had another unwanted amazon app was automatically installed during the last update

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 06:39 PM
    It's a bit of a Catch-22. BB10 users want native BB10 apps, there aren't enough BB10 users to support increased native BB10 development, advertising the alternative app storefront will hopefully gain/retain more BB10 users.

Not all BB10 users are CB readers. Many need a reminder in their face for the secondary place they can look for their desired apps & games.
    The dual-storefront is unattractive to new BB10 users, but less unattractive than missing even more apps. Lesser of two evils.

Hopefully what's good for BB10 will be good for BB10 devs. If not now, then eventually. Eventually, but before it's too late!
    Completely agree with this take.

Posted with my  Classic
    Elite1 likes this.
    08-10-15 06:43 PM
    Personally I dont like the amazon app store. Was hoping they had good music buying service like BlackBerry world USED to have. Also do NOT like how I had another unwanted amazon app was automatically installed during the last update
    Instead of being integrated into BlackBerry World, the music buying service is now a separate app by 7Digital. They were originally the service integrated into BlackBerry World. You can still use it!
    08-10-15 07:30 PM