Not sure I agree with this (though I could be wrong as I don't use Asian languages. However I would like to point out that BB lets you use any 3 languages at the same time & even though I don't know what the lady is writing in the video below, it seems really cool & not something you can get on iOS out of the box.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=euRqXNYdUiE
    I think iOS can do that as well. Here's a video (you can see the handwriting recognition feature at the end):

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:23 AM
    BlackBerry is the best phone 100%

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:24 AM
    You know what feature I care about the most?

The one where I hear about a neat new app or mobile enhancement for my vehicles, home automation, PC, workplace, recreation, stores, restaurants, amusement park, banks, online broker, sports team, toy, hobby, vendor, travel, social media, professional reference, conference, school, league, etc. and know with absolute certainty that I can simply download it on the spot and try it out.

I don't expect that these entities are going to support three or four different mobile platforms simply because I prefer a particular UI. That would be ridiculous for these non-tech operations. And im not really looking for some kind of sideloading project. I just wanted to try something out.

I'm also a hobbyist developer of niche professional apps. If you want to use my apps, most of which are free, then you'd better use the platform that I use. After all, I've chosen to use the platform that I think you are most likely to use - you know, that app device. That's the deal.

Prefer a tablet? No problem. In fact, I'm betting that even if you have a different smartphone, you have one of those app devices somewhere in your house or where you work so we're still good.
    Last edited by heymaggie; 10-19-13 at 06:59 AM.
    10-19-13 06:40 AM
    You know what feature I care about the most?

The one where I hear about a neat new app or mobile enhancement for my vehicles, home automation, PC, workplace, recreation, stores, restaurants, amusement park, banks, online broker, sports team, toy, hobby, vendor, travel, social media, professional reference, conference, school, league, etc. and know with absolute certainty that I can simply download it on the spot and try it out.

I don't expect that these entities are going to support three or four different mobile platforms simply because I prefer a particular UI. That would be ridiculous for these non-tech operations. And im not really looking for some kind of sideloading project. I just wanted to try something out.

I'm also a hobbyist developer of niche professional apps. If you want to use my apps, most of which are free, then you'd better use the platform that I use. After all, I've chosen to use the platform that I think you are most likely to use - you know, that app device. That's the deal.

Prefer a tablet? No problem. In fact, I'm betting that even if you have a different smartphone, you have one of those app devices somewhere in your house or where you work so we're still good.
    But that is not a feature. Those are 3rd party apps. I'm not denying the fact that iOS has more apps. All I'm saying is that BlackBerry 10 has more features as an OS. And to disregard such a great OS just because it is new is crazy. Do you apply the same logic to other things in your life? Are you going to say no to a PS4 because the PS3 has more games? Are you going to buy a standard definition TV just because there are more DVDs than BluRays? How do you expect things to evolve?

Posted via CB10
    BBPandy and SDTRMG like this.
    10-19-13 07:20 AM
    I know this has been discussed many times here, but I feel like a lot of people are missing the point. The general consensus is that BlackBerry has a good platform, but they are still a bit behind in terms of features. And after spending some time with both an iPad and a Nokia Lumia 1020 I have to say this is not true. Here's why:

iOS:
    - The multitasking user experience is better now with iOS 7, but everything is still being paused in the background.
    - No native file manager
    - You can't share files via Bluetooth
    - Sharing in general sucks: contacts can only be shared via email, calendar appointments can't be shared at all, tasks can't be shared, etc. On my BlackBerry I can share pretty much everything.
    - No Hub
    - No instant replies
    - No DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct or Miracast
    - Social media accounts need to be set up twice (once for sharing and the second time when you install the app)
    - Inferior email app: limited formating options (bold, italic, underline), no invite to meeting, no option to load external images, no colour coding, no priority box, no smart search, no filter, no attachments hub and so on...
    - Inferior keyboard
    - Inferior calendar app: no agenda view, no people view, can't select colours, no mobile conferencing.
    - No Docs To Go
    - No Story Maker
    - Limited Picture Editor

Windows Phone 8:
    - The multitasking experience is even worse than what iOS has.
    - Limited copy-paste functionality (can't copy paste between apps, the clipboard is cleared every time the phone locks)
    - Limited sharing functionality: for example you can't share a video from the video player. On a BlackBerry 10 device you can share anything from everywhere (even a selected word).
    - Inferior keyboard (though a bit better than the iOS one)
    - Unconsistent video player behaviour: no way to move the progress slider if you're watching a video from the browser
    - No quick settings menu
    - No file manager
    - No DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct or Miracast
    - No Hub, but at least you can link inboxes
    - No instant replies
    - No compass app
    - Can't take notes from the phone app
    - Inferior email and calendar apps: same problems as iOS basically
    - If you are trying to share a photo and the phone goes in standby, the process is stopped (this is extremely annoying)

So in conclusion, BlackBerry 10 has more features than both iOS and WP8, yet people still consider it an inferior OS. And I'm not talking about user experience here, I didn't want personal preference to be a factor in this comparison. You just get more done and in a more elegant way with a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    I find the share options on BB10 surpass what I can do on my Galaxy Nexus.
    Haven't a clue why people say BB10 is behind? Maybe because of the notifications?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    10-19-13 07:28 AM
    I think iOS can do that as well. Here's a video (you can see the handwriting recognition feature at the end):

Posted via CB10
    Hmm seems you are right. Just tried that with iOS 7. I thought you needed a separate app for that on iOS....i guess that's no longer the case

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 07:49 AM
    Hmm seems you are right. Just tried that with iOS 7. I thought you needed a separate app for that on iOS....i guess that's no longer the case

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but there is still the 3 languages thing, the gestures (including the flicking) and the fact that the keyboard learns and adapts to your style. So I wouldn't be worried...

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:17 AM
    All these threads should be titled "Best OS According to (insert OP)"

OP, this is your opinion. You are wrong about many statements you made. You come off as someone who has a lot of BB10 experience, a love for BB10, a need to feel your choice is far superior, a desire to prove the other platforms are not even close to competitive, and having spent very little time, if any, with the other platforms.

In 2013 I have owned all of these and used the phone for several months to several weeks at a minimum. They are much closer than you state, but each has its unique features. Be happy with your choice, get over the fact most of the world does not agree.

Smartphones are the new politics, impossible to debate with others of different viewpoints and affiliations.
    10-19-13 08:32 AM
    But that is not a feature. Those are 3rd party apps. I'm not denying the fact that iOS has more apps. All I'm saying is that BlackBerry 10 has more features as an OS. And to disregard such a great OS just because it is new is crazy.

Posted via CB10
    People are disregarding it because it doesn't bringing anything new to the table. The design is boring, the UI looks dull (mainly due to those shadows),the camera pales to the competition, bad battery life, not to mention it has the worst ecosystem. Why would someone pay what blackberry is asking for an os10 device when they can get an iOS/android/Winmo device for the same price and have access to high quality business/productivity/entertainment software? It's not rocket science. I bought the z10 and I actually liked the device, however I was pissed when I found out that it was missing a music equalizer (a device aimed at consumers is missing this important feature) as well as a proper notification system. Blackberry 10 has some great features, but from an overall perspective the devices can't sit at the same table as the big three.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Vacmfuzzy likes this.
    10-19-13 08:52 AM

OP, this is your opinion. You are wrong about many statements you made. You come off as someone who has a lot of BB10 experience, a love for BB10, a need to feel your choice is far superior, a desire to prove the other platforms are not even close to competitive, and having spent very little time, if any, with the other platforms.

In 2013 I have owned all of these and used the phone for several months to several weeks at a minimum. They are much closer than you state, but each has its unique features. Be happy with your choice, get over the fact most of the world does not agree.

Smartphones are the new politics, impossible to debate with others of different viewpoints and affiliations.
    You and a few other people here keep saying I was wrong about a few things. It's entirely possible, but unlike others I want to know when I'm wrong. So can you please point out what exactly is wrong in my comparison?

Regarding my experience with other platforms, I own a Nokia Lumia 1020 (which I had to use as my main device for 3 weeks) and an iPad. I believe I already mentioned this in my first post.

And if these platforms are that close you should be able to come up with a similar list of features iOS or WP8 have that BlackBerry 10 doesn't. Other than better maps and camera apps I don't think you'll find any if you leave 3rd party apps out of the equation.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin and SDTRMG like this.
    10-19-13 09:18 AM
    But that is not a feature. Those are 3rd party apps. I'm not denying the fact that iOS has more apps. All I'm saying is that BlackBerry 10 has more features as an OS. And to disregard such a great OS just because it is new is crazy. Do you apply the same logic to other things in your life? Are you going to say no to a PS4 because the PS3 has more games? Are you going to buy a standard definition TV just because there are more DVDs than BluRays? How do you expect things to evolve?

Posted via CB10
    Call them features or apps. It makes no difference to me once I download it - it becomes an icon just like any native OS feature. It even installs itself when I upgrade my hardware.

I'm not disregarding BB10 but I only use one smartphone platform and I don't feel obligated to give it a break because they fell behind and had to do a reboot. I prefer to help the disadvantaged in other areas of my life. I'm pretty sure the technologies will evolve with or without me.

If BB10 is the mobile platform of the future then you will definitely have a head start on me. About a 30 minute head start because I will have to drive to the store and exchange my device. I'm pretty sure, though, that no mobile platform can ever get close to incorporating the variety of things I want to do with my mobile device on a daily basis.
    10-19-13 09:19 AM
    People are disregarding it because it doesn't bringing anything new to the table. The design is boring, the UI looks dull (mainly due to those shadows),the camera pales to the competition, bad battery life, not to mention it has the worst ecosystem. Why would someone pay what blackberry is asking for an os10 device when they can get an iOS/android/Winmo device for the same price and have access to high quality business/productivity/entertainment software? It's not rocket science. I bought the z10 and I actually liked the device, however I was pissed when I found out that it was missing a music equalizer (a device aimed at consumers is missing this important feature) as well as a proper notification system. Blackberry 10 has some great features, but from an overall perspective the devices can't sit at the same table as the big three.

What about all those things I mentioned? Those would be new features for iOS and WP8 since they don't have them at the moment.

Dull UI? Maybe. But at least it doesn't look like my 3 year old daughter created it in MS Paint (I'm talking about iOS 7 here).

Bad battery life?? Compared to what, an old BlackBerry?

And what's wrong with the notification system? You get them on the lock screen (with previews), you get a blinking red light and you also get instant previews and replies if you are in the middle of something. What else do you want??

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    10-19-13 09:25 AM
    Call them features or apps. It makes no difference to me once I download it - it becomes an icon just like any native OS feature. It even installs itself when I upgrade my hardware.

I'm not disregarding BB10 but I only use one smartphone platform and I don't feel obligated to give it a break because they fell behind and had to do a reboot. I prefer to help the disadvantaged in other areas of my life. I'm pretty sure the technologies will evolve with or without me.

If BB10 is the mobile platform of the future then you will definitely have a head start on me. About a 30 minute head start because I will have to drive to the store and exchange my device. I'm pretty sure, though, that no mobile platform can ever get close to incorporating the variety of things I want to do with my mobile device on a daily basis.
    A native feature is deeply integrated into the OS. An app isn't. A good example is the Box/Dropbox integration on BlackBerry 10. It creates local drives in your file manager. Why is this useful? Well when you are using your browser and want to upload a file to a form, the file picker will see all your Box/Dropbox files as well as if they are already on your device. Neat, right?

I'm not saying you should help BlackBerry by investing in their products. But you should keep an open mind in case a better product gets released. It's only fair.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    10-19-13 09:30 AM
    Doesn't even know what iWork is called on iOS, but trying to compare. No longer interested in this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-19-13 09:33 AM
    Doesn't even know what iWork is called on iOS, but trying to compare. No longer interested in this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    Sorry I said iWorks and not iWork. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

By the way, Pages, Keynote and Numbers are not free. They are �6.99 each.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 09:43 AM
    A native feature is deeply integrated into the OS. An app isn't.
    Any advantage of a native feature on a small platform will usually be surpassed by a well-funded 3rd party developer working on a well-funded native platform. A recent example: Windows Remote Desktop lets you control any Windows device with an iOS or Android device. This is native functionality in Windows Does that count?

Admittedly, you have to download the free iOS or Android app to your phone or tablet.

Microsoft's new iOS and Android Remote Desktop apps let you control a PC from a phone | The Verge
    Last edited by heymaggie; 10-19-13 at 10:14 AM.
    10-19-13 09:48 AM
    Any advantage of a native feature on a small platform will usually be surpassed by a well-funded 3rd party developer working on a well-funded native platform. A recent example: Windows Remote Desktop lets you control any Windows device with an iOS or Android device. This is native functionality in Windows Does that count?

Admittedly, you have to download the free iOS or Android app to your phone or tablet.

Microsoft's new iOS and Android Remote Desktop apps let you control a PC from a phone | The Verge
    Uhhh... you can do that with a BlackBerry too. The RDP applications aren't written by Microsoft. There are a whole host of quite good RDP applications in BlackBerry World that all use the native Windows Remote Deaktop.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-19-13 10:24 AM
    I just spent more time with my son's IPhone. I know the phone is smaller and therefore the keyboard must be smaller but I am typing on the iPhone keyboard 99% error free. Much better accuracy than i get with few z10. I know that's likely more about my competency than the quality of the keyboard, but still an observation.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    10-19-13 10:25 AM
    Sorry I said iWorks and not iWork. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

By the way, Pages, Keynote and Numbers are not free. They are �6.99 each.

Posted via CB10
    Pages, numbers, keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie are free with the purchase of the 5s/5c.

10-19-13 10:25 AM
    You and a few other people here keep saying I was wrong about a few things. It's entirely possible, but unlike others I want to know when I'm wrong. So can you please point out what exactly is wrong in my comparison?

Regarding my experience with other platforms, I own a Nokia Lumia 1020 (which I had to use as my main device for 3 weeks) and an iPad. I believe I already mentioned this in my first post.

And if these platforms are that close you should be able to come up with a similar list of features iOS or WP8 have that BlackBerry 10 doesn't. Other than better maps and camera apps I don't think you'll find any if you leave 3rd party apps out of the equation.

Posted via CB10
    I have spent much time in other threads pointing out incorrect comparisons or statements about OS's, including BB10. I don't have the energy for it at the moment as it seems to never end and most are simply emotional and biased anyway.

The problem you have is that few care about base OS vs base OS. It is meaningless at its core, unless you are against free enhancements, which would seem stupid. Most people care about the overall experience, which does include core OS functions but also so much more. You buy the whole not just the OS when you buy the phone.

You use the word inferior. I don't consider BB10 necessarily inferior, but I do consider it the less preferred and robust overall choice for my needs and wants. Your choice of items to compare cover a lot, but not what I might have listed. This is your preference and opinion, but nothing is absolute. It is limited to Base OS. Btw, Docs to Go is a third party app, not core BB10 feature, and it is also on iOS.
    Vacmfuzzy likes this.
    10-19-13 10:48 AM
    They should also include a poll so we can see how many ppl agree with that statement.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-19-13 10:51 AM
    They should also include a poll so we can see how many ppl agree with that statement.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    That would be good.

I could use any of the 4 top platforms. They are all capable and pretty darn good. BB10 is the only one that is missing just a few apps I need. My early experience with it rampant bugs was not good, but people tell me that those are fixed. If so, once it get apps and if BB lives on strong, I will consider again. I liked some BB10 features.
    10-19-13 10:56 AM
    So how is the best defined? Isn't it all someone's opinion?
    grover5 and moyah8 like this.
    10-19-13 10:58 AM
    I have spent much time in other threads pointing out incorrect comparisons or statements about OS's, including BB10. I don't have the energy for it at the moment as it seems to never end and most are simply emotional and biased anyway.

The problem you have is that few care about base OS vs base OS. It is meaningless at its core, unless you are against free enhancements, which would seem stupid. Most people care about the overall experience, which does include core OS functions but also so much more. You buy the whole not just the OS when you buy the phone.

You use the word inferior. I don't consider BB10 necessarily inferior, but I do consider it the less preferred and robust overall choice for my needs and wants. Your choice of items to compare cover a lot, but not what I might have listed. This is your preference and opinion, but nothing is absolute. It is limited to Base OS. Btw, Docs to Go is a third party app, not core BB10 feature, and it is also on iOS.
    Docs To Go is a core BB10 feature that cannot be installed. And for your information, BlackBerry owns the company DataViz which creates Docs To Go.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-19-13 11:44 AM
    Docs To Go is a core BB10 feature that cannot be installed. And for your information, BlackBerry owns the company DataViz which creates Docs To Go.

I am aware who owns it. Did not need that info. It is an app they chose to include, period. The same app with the same functionality was an app on bb7 and is available on other platforms.
    10-19-13 11:47 AM
179 12345 ...