I second this. How about listing the real facts.

But here's a fun fact: BB is a dying platform, and leeches apps off android. Oh wait, you already know that.
    Dying? Far from it. Only getting bigger every day. And as it "leeching apps off android", no, it's not. If the developer decides to bring it to BB10 then it's not from Android, it's from the developer. Side-loading is a different story, but that's not actually allowed even.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:33 PM

But here's a fun fact: BB is a dying platform, and leeches apps off android. Oh wait, you already know that.
    Actually many of the popular apps in BlackBerry's app store are native Cascades built, which are probably the best looking and functioning apps on any market. It's really a shame when you have to settle for ports or side loading, which is why I don't have many of either.
    10-18-13 08:49 PM
    Actually, WP8 applications cannot run on Windows 8. They each need to be developed seperate. Granted, it's probably a lot easier to port them over...
    Oh, I was under the impression that any app designed in Metro is capable of being run on all Windows 8 devices and the desktop style apps can only work on Windows 8 full version. I'm not that familiar with Windows Phone 8 so I just assumed. Oops.

His points are the strengths right out if the box, bb10 does all that without apps or a app world, no money spent except the cost of the phone itself, with apple you have to pay more than the phone cost to get all that function and it still may lack in spots.
    Actually you'll find the iOS app store has a lot of quality free apps.

You want to edit movies? Sure, BB10 devices come with Story Maker. iOS has far more options (many of them free) though. You can't share via Bluetooth? Download an app to do so. Though to be fair the free one seems to have bad reviews. You want a photo editor? Take your pick! You don't like the calendar? (Which btw does have agenda view) Then download a different one. Sure some of those are pay, but many of them are free.

So yes, out of the box BB10 has more stuff. But BB10 loses out once you add in free apps. And really loses out when you add in all apps. And the idea of comparing devices straight out of the box is completely silly. I mean you don't honestly think the lack of Facebook, FourSquare, Twitter, DropBox, Box.Net, Evernote is a "weakness" in functionality of iOS do you? They're all available on iOS for free, and quite frankly they're all quite a bit better on iOS.
    10-18-13 08:57 PM
    Great wrap up from the OP. Before I bought my Q10 I was considering buying a Nokia Lumia1020. So I went to a store and played with Lumia 925 to see the WP8 experience and this is how I met my Q10 - it was sitting lonely in the corner, set and ready to serve its new master.

Now, I have nightmares sometimes that I have bought the Nokia Brick 1020 or that the world run out of Q10s and someone stole mine.

I know I know, I spent too much time on this phone .

P.S. A list of Mobile OSes I've used in long term: Symbian UIQ (aka Sony-Ericcson's Symbian) , Symbian S60 and Belle, Windows Mobile, Maemoo, MeeGo, WebOS, iOS, Android.
    BB10 is like a mix of all of the above, streamed into one super smooth experience.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    grover5 likes this.
    10-18-13 09:40 PM
    My contacts, calendar, tasks, links and documents are all shared via iCloud for my Mac, iPad and iPhone. My work stuff is all shared on my Mac, PC, and iPhone via office 365 and Sky Drive. I also have stuff shared on all devices via google chrome, drive, and gmail.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-18-13 09:43 PM
    They are not talking about Windows 8, they are talking about Windows PHONE 8. Totally different.

Posted via CB10
    I just missed the word phone. I was talking about windows posted 8.1

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 10:11 PM
    Oh, I was under the impression that any app designed in Metro is capable of being run on all Windows 8 devices and the desktop style apps can only work on Windows 8 full version. I'm not that familiar with Windows Phone 8 so I just assumed. Oops.

You want to edit movies? Sure, BB10 devices come with Story Maker. iOS has far more options (many of them free) though. You can't share via Bluetooth? Download an app to do so. Though to be fair the free one seems to have bad reviews. You want a photo editor? Take your pick! You don't like the calendar? (Which btw does have agenda view) Then download a different one. Sure some of those are pay, but many of them are free.

So yes, out of the box BB10 has more stuff. But BB10 loses out once you add in free apps. And really loses out when you add in all apps. And the idea of comparing devices straight out of the box is completely silly. I mean you don't honestly think the lack of Facebook, FourSquare, Twitter, DropBox, Box.Net, Evernote is a "weakness" in functionality of iOS do you? They're all available on iOS for free, and quite frankly they're all quite a bit better on iOS.
    Again, don't need a app world account to get going on your phone like you do with iTunes, you want to pick about being silly out of the box will having to go app hunting to do something another platform offers out of the box could be equally silly. We can go back or forth, just sayin it's nice to not have to search and download apps right away just to get up and going, can do that with my z10 right away but with my work issued 4s, have to always search to do stuff which wastes my time. But that's just me.

And as far as better, the latest facebook app for BlackBerry blows iphones away now with the latest enhancements, but if you never used both you wouldn't see that. As a user of both, I prefer the BlackBerry versions.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8, Blomsternisse and SDTRMG like this.
    10-18-13 10:14 PM
    Here's another fact: there's too many 'what's the best platform' threads. The bottom line is that you have choice and that fact alone makes you a winner. It's no good making a decision then wanting constant reassurance that you made the right one or choosing a phone and then insisting all others are crap and even manufacturing reasons to support your reasoning. The problem with these threads is that each platform has strengths and weaknesses so where one OS wins in one department, it loses in another.
    So what happens is that a user lists a unique function of one OS and claims that that is why the platform is clearly superior, someone else steps up to insist his platform is better for another reason. And so on.... it never ends.

In conclusion, there is no platform that is better than another, just one that fits your needs better. That's the truth of the matter and always will be.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-19-13 12:50 AM
    Here's another fact: there's too many 'what's the best platform' threads. The bottom line is that you have choice and that fact alone makes you a winner. It's no good making a decision then wanting constant reassurance that you made the right one or choosing a phone and then insisting all others are crap and even manufacturing reasons to support your reasoning. The problem with these threads is that each platform has strengths and weaknesses so where one OS wins in one department, it loses in another.
    So what happens is that a user lists a unique function of one OS and claims that that is why the platform is clearly superior, someone else steps up to insist his platform is better for another reason. And so on.... it never ends.

In conclusion, there is no platform that is better than another, just one that fits your needs better. That's the truth of the matter and always will be.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    Well said. I've never understood why some people make the decisions they make, but to each his own,

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-19-13 01:35 AM
    They have fixed most, if not all, of the issues they had at launch but unfortunately you don't get do-overs on first impressions.
    Really?
    And the first iPhone, free of simple basic functions, was this not the first impression of the device?
    This technology, not a business meeting, first impressions don't hold nearly a such weight as you think.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-19-13 02:02 AM
    iOS 7 new devices get iWorks for free. WP8 has Office + OneNote.

Both have Web and desktop versions, which BlackBerry lacks.

Both has Cloud integration at the OS level. BB doesn't.

OP info about sharing on iOS and WP8 is wrong.

WP8 has DLNA.

Story Maker... Seriously? Isn't iPhoto and iMovie free with new Apple devices? Those are first party apps.

WP has one of the best soft keyboards on the market.

WP8 has hubs. It just doesn't throw everything into ONE HUB. It had them since late 2010...

Apps close the gap and exceed it in many cases. That's why people go with the dev-supported platforms. As long as there is an app available no one will care. Also phones like the Lumia 1020 actually have a selling point, while BB devices do not. Preference for platform is too subjective to matter these days. You need something objective that grabs attention. Calling the Hub a Hub was bad from the start because everyone knows Microsoft marketed WP7 with that Hub metaphor back in the day. It sounded "Me too!" to everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    richardat likes this.
    10-19-13 02:02 AM

WP8 has DLNA.

Story Maker... Seriously? Isn't iPhoto and iMovie free with new Apple devices? Those are first party apps.

WP8 has hubs. It just doesn't throw everything into ONE HUB. It had them since late 2010...

Apps close the gap and exceed it in many cases. That's why people go with the dev-supported platforms.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I take issue with one of your points.

Ifail to see how WP has one of the best soft keyboards on the market. With my experience (quite a bit) with a WP, I began to hate the phone so much that whenever it came to type something, or even worse, enter a password, I cringed. Even the thought of it makes me cringe now.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-19-13 02:09 AM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I take issue with one of your points.

Ifail to see how WP has one of the best soft keyboards on the market. With my experience (quite a bit) with a WP, I began to hate the phone so much that whenever it came to type something, or even worse, enter a password, I cringed. Even the thought of it makes me cringe now.

Touch response, touch accuracy, and quality of predictions. That's what makes a good keyboard. I had a Windows phone. I could face roll it and still type almost flawlessly. It was separating words that ran together since release, before any other soft keyboard had that implemented.

Almost all reviews have raved about their keyboard. They did it all themselves, too, without SwiftKey SDK.

I cannot comment on your issues. Only my experience and what reviewers have consistently stated for the past three years - which runs contrary to what you have written, unsurprisingly...

You have given no information. Only a pretty terrible generalization that makes literally no real sense...

10-19-13 02:13 AM
    you want to pick about being silly out of the box will having to go app hunting to do something another platform offers out of the box could be equally silly.
    I really don't know what to say except it's sounds really desperate if this is the argument Blackberry fans are trying to use as why their phone is better.

And as far as better, the latest facebook app for BlackBerry blows iphones away now with the latest enhancements, but if you never used both you wouldn't see that. As a user of both, I prefer the BlackBerry versions.
    Why? You're right in that I don't have much experience with iOS Facebook. But I've used it and I have extensive experience with Android Facebook. From my time with iOS Facebook it's very similar to Android's. And I know Android Facebook is superior to Blackberry Facebook. Since having my Z10, I've already found 3 things you can do on Android (and iOS) that you can't on Blackberry.
    • Stickers. You can view the stickers people send on BB's Facebook, but you can't send them. No access to the sticker store either.
    • Editing posts.
    • Posting pictures as comments.

I haven't found a single thing that BB FB does that Android FB does not. What am I missing?
    10-19-13 03:21 AM

Search is not agenda view. Agenda view should list upcoming events without you having to start typing in a search box.

Also, I was comparing mobile operating systems, not 3rd party apps. When people compare Windows to OSX they compare the features and the built in applications, not Adobe Photoshop or Crysis 3.

Regarding Facebook and other applications you listed in your post, I consider them pre-installed 3rd party apps. That's why I don't see them as an OS feature. Theough having Box and Dropbox as local drives in your file manager is a lot better than having a separate app for each.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 10-19-13 at 05:55 AM.
    10-19-13 04:36 AM

WP8 has DLNA.

Apps close the gap and exceed it in many cases. That's why people go with the dev-supported platforms. As long as there is an app available no one will care. Also phones like the Lumia 1020 actually have a selling point, while BB devices do not. Preference for platform is too subjective to matter these days. You need something objective that grabs attention. Calling the Hub a Hub was bad from the start because everyone knows Microsoft marketed WP7 with that Hub metaphor back in the day. It sounded "Me too!" to everyone.

I have an iPad (4th generation) with iOS 7 and searching for iWorks in the App Store doesn't return any results. I know WP has Office, that's why it's not listed as an issue in my initial post.

BlackBerry 10 has Box and Dropbox integration for media backup to the cloud, BlackBerry Protect for finding/locking/wiping your device and all your BBM messages are backup up on BlackBerry's servers.

You say I'm wrong about sharing, wrong how?

Regarding DLNA, I couldn?t find anything in the settings menu that allows me to connect to my PS3.

WP does have a good keyboard, I did say it's better than the iOS one. Just not as good as the BlackBerry 10 one. It doesn't detect the language as you type and it doesn't learn from the user. Also, no word flick and other gestures.

About the hubs, I did say WP is better than iOS because it allows you to link inboxes together allowing you to create a hub for all your email accounts. The problem is that you still have to open separate apps for other types of messages.

Apps do help indeed, but with iOS or WP8 you can't have custom default apps. If you install a calendar app on your iPhone you won't be able to open it from your email if you receive a meeting invite. Same goes for 3rd party email or browser apps.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my first post that BlackBerry also has the best browser. The only mobile browser with both WebGL and Flash support. Also it's still number one in terms of supported HTML5 features.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    10-19-13 05:16 AM
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that BlackBerry 10 and Android (in a less elegant way) are the only mobile operating systems that feel like a proper operating system and not just a bunch of icons on a wallpaper. They (BlackBerry) really thought about everything. Small things like how apps are invoked and opened inside other apps make it feel more fluid and intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    Except they are still missing features they had 3 years ago in BB7. To me, bb10 is inferior to their own legacy platform in many ways.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 05:23 AM
    Good list. You're wrong about a few things, not to mention you're passing off your opinion as if it's fact.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Can you please explain what exactly is just an opinion?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 05:24 AM
    Except they are still missing features they had 3 years ago in BB7. To me, bb10 is inferior to their own legacy platform in many ways.

Posted via CB10
    True, but that is a different conversation. BBOS 7 is still the king of mobile operating systems in terms of features.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 05:28 AM
    10 is best os

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 05:31 AM
    It's good that you like BlackBerry 10, but I would not agree with you on a few things.

- The multitasking settings allow you to update the app at regular time intervals in the background. The limitation is to achieve battery optimisation. However, the BlackBerry experience is better for me.
    - they have the notification center (along with the pop up notifications). Although I would not settle for anything other than a HUB, many prefer the notification centre of iOS and Android. To each his own.
    - Apple have developed a very tight closed ecosystem and also provide Airplay (much better than Miracast IMO) and wifi p2p (forgot the name they use, but is equivalent to wifi direct). It works much better in their closed ecosystem than all the open standards such as Miracast or Wifi Direct do.
    - Apple has their own office suite and does not Docs to go. In addition you can also buy the Microsoft office suite on the iPhone.
    - The Picture editor on iOS 7 isn't anything less. Infact, the live editor is awesome. In addition you get options like snapseed that a miles ahead of the BlackBerry native editor. It pays to have a ecosystem rich in apps. Apple recently stepped up their game by just a bit with iOS 7. BlackBerry has been improving at an impressive pace and would outdo others, if it can maintain the same. Just hope this is not lost during the sale of BlackBerry.

I would reserve my comments for the Windows until I see Windows 8.1

Posted via CB10
    1. BlackBerry's solution doesn?t seem to impact battery life. Also, you seem to like it as well.
    2. I don't think iOS users prefer anything. They just don't know how productive they can be with a BlackBerry 10 device.
    3. Airplay is not a standard and it doesn't work without an Apple TV. I can connect to any smart TV or game console without extra hardware or software. It just works.
    4. I know you can buy Docs To Go from the App Store, but the keyword here is "buy". With a BlackBerry 10 you get it for free and is pre-installed on your phone.
    5. Regarding the native picture editor on iOS, it's missing the frames, the ability to change the aspect ratio, some filters and also the ability to manually adjust saturation, brightness, contrast, sharpness, white balance, noise reduction.

Posted via CB10
    Erkan OZKAYA likes this.
    10-19-13 05:42 AM

You can't just say this without any arguments. Anything wrong in my list?

BlackBerry is a dying platform because people like you don't want to learn the truth. And the truth is that BlackBerry 10 is a better OS than both iOS and WP8.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 05:47 AM
    You can't just say this without any arguments. Anything wrong in my list?

BlackBerry is a dying platform because people like you don't want to learn the truth. And the truth is that BlackBerry 10 is a better OS than both iOS and WP8.

Posted via CB10
    I search this with a change being that I would use the words "my opinion " instead of "the truth "

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:06 AM
    I search this with a change being that I would use the words "my opinion " instead of "the truth "

Posted via CB10
    It's not an opinion. Everything I said is true. Can you write a similarly long list with features iOS has that BlackBerry 10 doesn't?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:14 AM
    The big advantage of iOS is you have options to find the one that works the best for you.
    It's actually superior for those who write in other languages. There's some crazy neat features for Asian languages for example.
    Not sure I agree with this (though I could be wrong as I don't use Asian languages. However I would like to point out that BB lets you use any 3 languages at the same time & even though I don't know what the lady is writing in the video below, it seems really cool & not something you can get on iOS out of the box.
    10-19-13 06:15 AM
179 1234 ...