I know this has been discussed many times here, but I feel like a lot of people are missing the point. The general consensus is that BlackBerry has a good platform, but they are still a bit behind in terms of features. And after spending some time with both an iPad and a Nokia Lumia 1020 I have to say this is not true. Here's why:

iOS:
    - The multitasking user experience is better now with iOS 7, but everything is still being paused in the background.
    - No native file manager
    - You can't share files via Bluetooth
    - Sharing in general sucks: contacts can only be shared via email, calendar appointments can't be shared at all, tasks can't be shared, etc. On my BlackBerry I can share pretty much everything.
    - No Hub
    - No instant replies
    - No DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct or Miracast
    - Social media accounts need to be set up twice (once for sharing and the second time when you install the app)
    - Inferior email app: limited formating options (bold, italic, underline), no invite to meeting, no option to load external images, no colour coding, no priority box, no smart search, no filter, no attachments hub and so on...
    - Inferior keyboard
    - Inferior calendar app: no agenda view, no people view, can't select colours, no mobile conferencing.
    - No Docs To Go
    - No Story Maker
    - Limited Picture Editor

Windows Phone 8:
    - The multitasking experience is even worse than what iOS has.
    - Limited copy-paste functionality (can't copy paste between apps, the clipboard is cleared every time the phone locks)
    - Limited sharing functionality: for example you can't share a video from the video player. On a BlackBerry 10 device you can share anything from everywhere (even a selected word).
    - Inferior keyboard (though a bit better than the iOS one)
    - Unconsistent video player behaviour: no way to move the progress slider if you're watching a video from the browser
    - No quick settings menu
    - No file manager
    - No Hub, but at least you can link inboxes
    - No instant replies
    - No compass app
    - Can't take notes from the phone app
    - Inferior email and calendar apps: same problems as iOS basically
    - If you are trying to share a photo and the phone goes in standby, the process is stopped (this is extremely annoying)

So in conclusion, BlackBerry 10 has more features than both iOS and WP8, yet people still consider it an inferior OS. And I'm not talking about user experience here, I didn't want personal preference to be a factor in this comparison. You just get more done and in a more elegant way with a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 10-18-13 at 05:51 AM.
    10-18-13 05:41 AM
    I don't find a lot of people saying the OS is inferior. Most people I've shown the phone off to are surprised by what it does, albeit a bit skeptical of the swiping thing. Mostly the negativity seems directed at the lack of apps, camera, reboots, contacts management and email management. They have fixed most, if not all, of the issues they had at launch but unfortunately you don't get do-overs on first impressions.
    10-18-13 05:54 AM
    Blackberry 10 is the *BEST* mobile OS I have ever experienced....and I have played with pretty much all of 'em....including Windows Mobile 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Symbian, WebOS and Palm (PalmOS on the Treo)....

Key features that make the BB10 platform really shine is:
    • Blackberry Hub makes accessing Text, BBM, FaceBook, Twitter, E-mail, etc…so easy…works in apps, including side-loaded Android apps
    • The keyboard - the BEST touchscreen keyboard I have EVER used! I could type faster on first use of the Blackberry than I can with an iPhone that I had for 4 or so years!
    • The overall OS…there is hardly any learning curve and if you need help, the tutorial is built in
    • No physical button to unlock it! This is great! Just swipe up from the bottom...
    • FaceBook Notifications! Far better than the iOS version! My partner have each other on "Close Friends" on there and anytime I make a post, his iPhone doesn't alert him…but when he makes a post, BB10 does! I get notifications for EVERYTHING on FB!

These are just a few things that I really love about the BB10 platform! The phone itself is beautifully design and VERY thin! I had a Lumia 822 before this one and I hated it. I hated the Lumia 822 so much I didn't even like LOOKING at it! It barely gave notifications and often the FaceBook notifications were from posts I had already replied to about an hour prior! My Playbook would give me an email alert and I would check it on the Lumia...well, try...I had to load the e-mail app and tell it to refresh...go pee...come back...count to 100....spin around in the chair 17 times clock-wise and 47 times counter clock-wise and say the alphabet backwards...by then, it would load the e-mail...or time-out.....But with BB10, my email comes in within 10-20 seconds of it arriving in my inbox.....
    10-18-13 05:55 AM
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that BlackBerry 10 and Android (in a less elegant way) are the only mobile operating systems that feel like a proper operating system and not just a bunch of icons on a wallpaper. They (BlackBerry) really thought about everything. Small things like how apps are invoked and opened inside other apps make it feel more fluid and intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 06:05 AM
    Hey guys - you all seem to be very knowledgeable on the BB10, and by the way, I really, really do love my Z10...thought I might like to go to the Q10 for the keyboard, but this thing has grown on me a bit! The question I have is for the apps that I would like to have, and I haven't heard anything about this conclusively, but is there a way to "sideload" Andriod apps such that I can populate my Z10 with the ones that would be nice to have...largely banking and travel related? Thanks much, and I think all of your comments here are so true having had an iPhone and most recently a Nokia Lumina Windows phone...which I could only handle for about 4 days. Best.
    10-18-13 12:09 PM
    Hey guys - you all seem to be very knowledgeable on the BB10, and by the way, I really, really do love my Z10...thought I might like to go to the Q10 for the keyboard, but this thing has grown on me a bit! The question I have is for the apps that I would like to have, and I haven't heard anything about this conclusively, but is there a way to "sideload" Andriod apps such that I can populate my Z10 with the ones that would be nice to have...largely banking and travel related? Thanks much, and I think all of your comments here are so true having had an iPhone and most recently a Nokia Lumina Windows phone...which I could only handle for about 4 days. Best.
    Check out the side loading threads, you can have an extremely large quantity of Android apps.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-18-13 01:41 PM
    You would think the BlackBerry advertising dept would have made a point on these items
    10-18-13 02:40 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is in my opinion the best OS out there, even though it's kind of new, I like to use it a lot because of how great it feels. The OS was the main reason why I bought my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 02:48 PM
    You would think the BlackBerry advertising dept would have made a point on these items
    They have. Nobody cares though. BlackBerry is dead, haven't you heard? It's what the media has been telling us for the past 5 years.

Posted via CB10
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    10-18-13 03:13 PM
    my 2 pence on the matter as all to do with what Mr Jobs said when he unveiled the iPhone....

He stated that the problems with handsets with physical buttons is that no matter what you are doing with the phone they remain there... their functions can not change and they are not intuitive (don't quote me on that).... So, he unveiled the iPhone with just ONE button.

And the world lapped at his feet with this "innovation".

Well, he could have not been more wrong. He stated that the physical buttons can not change or their function! Yes, they can not be physically changed... thats where the programming team comes into play. The physical buttons on my computer keyboard remains the same, BUT, their functionality changes as per application. The "F4" key does a different function in MS Word as to Adobe CS5. Now as we compare devices... I can programme the volume buttons on my BlackBerry Q10 to skip tracks when pressed long.. Wonder what happens when I do that with a iOS?

And lets not even talk of an intuitive OS in regards to long press. I long press on my Q10 and I am presented with various and more intuitive things to do... the whole thing just flows. There is no long click action on a iOS!!

Ok, lets now get down to making your phone unique via your OWN ringtone from your SD Card (darn, the iOS has none)!! Ok, lets not talk of a ringtone from there... Point being, you can not use a MP3 song as a ringtone on a iOS, unless ofcourse you go to the "store". iOS just wants your money at all cost.

Sorry, I just can not find a good thing about the iOS as a phone. And I saw as a phone as it totally is useless in that department. However, as a music device or a gaming device, it beats the BlackBerry. But, I have my other NONE iOS device for my music, so why do I want that.

BlackBerry is just the best... and thats all my opinion. And like the previous poster, I too have used all others, including the Palm (I had and still have a Treo 650.... not the 680 as that is when Windows took over and just totally made the device useless).
    leejayh likes this.
    10-18-13 03:16 PM
    I'm not a fan of iOS but I'd like to point a few things out.

- Inferior email app: limited formating options (bold, italic, underline), no invite to meeting, no option to load external images, no colour coding, no priority box, no smart search, no filter, no attachments hub and so on...
    - Inferior calendar app: no agenda view, no people view, can't select colours, no mobile conferencing.
    - No Docs To Go
    - No Story Maker
    - Limited Picture Editor
    There's five million email apps. Some are incredible and I would venture to say much better than Blackberry's default one. The Gmail app on it is better for people who use Gmail. Same with Calendar apps. You can easily do more than what Blackberry does if you don't like the default app. And actually iOS has Docs to Go. It's just not included so you have to buy it. Not only that, there are multiple other options in the AppStore for these things. The big advantage of iOS is you have options to find the one that works the best for you.

- Inferior keyboard
    It's actually superior for those who write in other languages. There's some crazy neat features for Asian languages for example.

So in conclusion, BlackBerry 10 has more features than both iOS and WP8, yet people still consider it an inferior OS. And I'm not talking about user experience here, I didn't want personal preference to be a factor in this comparison. You just get more done and in a more elegant way with a BlackBerry 10 device.
    In the end "You just get more done and in a more elegant way with a BlackBerry 10 device" isn't really true (for iOS at least) thanks to the strength of the iOS app store. If you don't like your email program, find the one you like best (there are many choices) and download that. There's some very interesting apps out there that can easily top BB email or calendaring depending on the person. This is why apps matter though. Weaknesses can be remedied thanks to apps. Apps can provide new, missing functionality too.

But wait, you say, that doesn't explain WP8! Actually it does. WP8 is doing barely better than BB, but it's still not doing well. But WP8 has two advantages. One is the support of a company doing well (Microsoft isn't looking to be bought out). Two is WP8 apps also can run on Windows 8 Tablets, Desktops, and Laptops. And there will be quite a large installation base of the Windows 8 desktops and laptops. That's why it's more tempting to write apps for Windows 8 than it is for BB10 right now.

But that's also why it's genius allowing Android apps to run on BB10. Because RIM realizes that there's no way they can get all those app makers to make apps for BB10. And this way (theoretically) BB10 owners can fill in holes using the Android appstore until a native version (hopefully) comes along.

BB10 does have the best OS design of any currently active mobile OSes, but it's the app support that's holding it back from the eyes of the consumer.
    dynot, Vacmfuzzy and mset like this.
    10-18-13 04:24 PM
    This is pretty much why I have been saying that BB10 is the best out-of-the-box mobile OS/device in the market. Apps aside, it's hands down better.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    moyah8 and SDTRMG like this.
    10-18-13 05:19 PM
    we're starting to consider post BlackBerry options if things don't go well. We have 3 Z10's in the house and a bunch for a business I'm involved in. At business there have been many complaints as we forced the Z10 on all of them. we're now giving them the option to select another phone and we'll get rid of their Z.

At home, we're seriously looking at the possibility of having 3 unsupported phones in future. Our oldest elected the iPhone 5 this last upgrade. So I took it and played for a while. The keyboard worked really well, auto correct was way better in the few hours I had the unit. I also really like the "home" button at the bottom.

If we change out of BlackBerry 10, it may just be the iPhone we go with. I didn't have it long enough to call it better. BUT kb is good, more email options, looks nice, much lighter, the email accounts don't disconnect and ask you to re-enter passwords which all of our Z10's do regularly. My limited exposure says that the iPhone will fill the void of we ice the BlackBerry units.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    10-18-13 05:31 PM

But wait, you say, that doesn't explain WP8! Actually it does. WP8 is doing barely better than BB, but it's still not doing well. But WP8 has two advantages. One is the support of a company doing well (Microsoft isn't looking to be bought out). Two is WP8 apps also can run on Windows 8 Tablets, Desktops, and Laptops. And there will be quite a large installation base of the Windows 8 desktops and laptops. That's why it's more tempting to write apps for Windows 8 than it is for BB10 right now.
    Actually, WP8 applications cannot run on Windows 8. They each need to be developed seperate. Granted, it's probably a lot easier to port them over...

But that's also why it's genius allowing Android apps to run on BB10. Because RIM realizes that there's no way they can get all those app makers to make apps for BB10. And this way (theoretically) BB10 owners can fill in holes using the Android appstore until a native version (hopefully) comes along.
    I agree. It is genius. I'd like to congratulate the person who came up with this idea. Without this, BB10 would go nowhere.

IBB10 does have the best OS design of any currently active mobile OSes, but it's the app support that's holding it back from the eyes of the consumer.
    Precisely. Things should get better as time passes.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and SDTRMG like this.
    10-18-13 05:45 PM
    Windows Phone 8:

How is this even worse? They both have similar multitasking UI and basically the same functionality.

- Limited copy-paste functionality (can't copy paste between apps, the clipboard is cleared every time the phone locks)

Copy and paste between apps is there, and the clipboard is set to clear in moments once you've pasted the item.

Best keyboard + best auto correct and prediction.

- No quick settings menu

3rd party

- No file manager

Not needed as apps already manage associated files (eg. Office with office documents)

3rd party

That's funny coz WP8 had hubs since WP7. People hub, games hub, music+videos hub, office hub.

- No compass app

3rd party, here maps

OneNote

Agenda view is there and color codes can be set on multiple accounts, so no, it doesn't have same problems as iOS 'basically'

- If you are trying to share a photo and the phone goes in standby, the process is stopped (this is extremely annoying)

No.

Everything else I can agree with.
    krox1105 and flyingsolid like this.
    10-18-13 05:52 PM
    Windows Phone 8:

>How is this even worse? They both have similar multitasking UI and basically the same functionality.
    >>How is it not worse? The only way, and I mean the ONLY way, to go back to an application is to back into it or hold down the back button and it shows the last five pages you were on (which might all be within the same application). If you can't back into it, you have to reopen it again from the menu.

>Copy and paste between apps is there, and the clipboard is set to clear in moments once you've pasted the item.
    >>Not very well implemented though. And the clipboard should not clear after pasting.

>Best keyboard + best auto correct and prediction.
    >>Worst keyboard in my opinion. I can't stand it, and I have quite a bit of experience with one. BB10 has the best on-screen keyboard, autocorrect, and prediction in my opinion. I used to turn off the predictions because I found them useless and they took up so much of the screen.

- No quick settings menu
    >3rd party
    >>Nothing decent, because basically you have to open another application to change settings. Might as well just pin a shortcut to the Settings on the home screen.

- No file manager
    >Not needed as apps already manage associated files (eg. Office with office documents)
    >>Whatever you might say, it sucks not having a file manager. Doing something as simple as downloading a ringtone off the web is not possible, as is attaching a file to an email with an unsupported file type (which is most files, and which I do often on my BlackBerry). It's so much easier to just have a file manager. Oh, and try doing something like remotely accessing your PC's files with WP--not possible, not even with third party applications.

>3rd party
    >>No. This has to be in-built. Third party applications cannot provide this functionality. Furthermore, the hardware has to support it.

>That's funny coz WP8 had hubs since WP7. People hub, games hub, music+videos hub, office hub.
    >>They did a pretty good job on this, but emails, text messages, etc. are still all in separate applications.

- No compass app
    >3rd party, here maps
    >>The BB10 compass is pretty neat, but it's just that: a compass. Agreed. Nokia maps is loads better.

>OneNote
    >>Still can't take notes from the phone application though, I don't think.

>Agenda view is there and color codes can be set on multiple accounts, so no, it doesn't have same problems as iOS 'basically'
    >>Can't say I know much about either of these.

>No.
    >>?

Everything else I can agree with.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    10-18-13 06:35 PM
    BlackBerry has a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-18-13 06:36 PM
    BlackBerry has a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    I know. And I love it.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 06:40 PM

There's five million email apps. Some are incredible and I would venture to say much better than Blackberry's default one. The Gmail app on it is better for people who use Gmail. Same with Calendar apps. You can easily do more than what Blackberry does if you don't like the default app. And actually iOS has Docs to Go. It's just not included so you have to buy it. Not only that, there are multiple other options in the AppStore for these things. The big advantage of iOS is you have options to find the one that works the best for you.

It's actually superior for those who write in other languages. There's some crazy neat features for Asian languages for example.

In the end "You just get more done and in a more elegant way with a BlackBerry 10 device" isn't really true (for iOS at least) thanks to the strength of the iOS app store. If you don't like your email program, find the one you like best (there are many choices) and download that. There's some very interesting apps out there that can easily top BB email or calendaring depending on the person. This is why apps matter though. Weaknesses can be remedied thanks to apps. Apps can provide new, missing functionality too.

BB10 does have the best OS design of any currently active mobile OSes, but it's the app support that's holding it back from the eyes of the consumer.
    His points are the strengths right out if the box, bb10 does all that without apps or a app world, no money spent except the cost of the phone itself, with apple you have to pay more than the phone cost to get all that function and it still may lack in spots.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8, SDTRMG and graylingboy like this.
    10-18-13 06:42 PM
    Oh yeah, on Windows Phone, add no sharing contacts by V card (vcf file).
    10-18-13 07:01 PM
    Good list. You're wrong about a few things, not to mention you're passing off your opinion as if it's fact.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    dynot, tack and richardat like this.
    10-18-13 07:06 PM
    Good list. You're wrong about a few things, not to mention you're passing off your opinion as if it's fact.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Hence the several replies that go over each point, point-by-point.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:16 PM

- The multitasking user experience is better now with iOS 7, but everything is still being paused in the background.

- No Hub

- No Docs To Go

- Limited Picture Editor

Windows Phone 8:
    It's good that you like BlackBerry 10, but I would not agree with you on a few things.

- The multitasking settings allow you to update the app at regular time intervals in the background. The limitation is to achieve battery optimisation. However, the BlackBerry experience is better for me.
    - they have the notification center (along with the pop up notifications). Although I would not settle for anything other than a HUB, many prefer the notification centre of iOS and Android. To each his own.
    - Apple have developed a very tight closed ecosystem and also provide Airplay (much better than Miracast IMO) and wifi p2p (forgot the name they use, but is equivalent to wifi direct). It works much better in their closed ecosystem than all the open standards such as Miracast or Wifi Direct do.
    - Apple has their own office suite and does not Docs to go. In addition you can also buy the Microsoft office suite on the iPhone.
    - The Picture editor on iOS 7 isn't anything less. Infact, the live editor is awesome. In addition you get options like snapseed that a miles ahead of the BlackBerry native editor. It pays to have a ecosystem rich in apps. Apple recently stepped up their game by just a bit with iOS 7. BlackBerry has been improving at an impressive pace and would outdo others, if it can maintain the same. Just hope this is not lost during the sale of BlackBerry.

I would reserve my comments for the Windows until I see Windows 8.1

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 07:20 PM
    I would reserve my comments for the Windows until I see Windows 8.1
    They are not talking about Windows 8, they are talking about Windows PHONE 8. Totally different.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:23 PM
    I second this. How about listing the real facts.

But here's a fun fact: BB is a dying platform, and leeches apps off android. Oh wait, you already know that.
    richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 07:30 PM
179 123 ...