For those not from the UK who might not be familiar with Vertu, they are basically an English company that make phones that make the Porsche edition phones look cheap as chips. You're looking at phones that cost more than a car.

Anyway, Vertu currently run Android, but I was wondering whether BlackBerry would be wise to approach Vertu and try and work on a partnership.

The folks who buy Vertu are obviously extremely wealthy, and a lot of them will value security. In fact, many of them probably have a BlackBerry as well. I don't think that it will ever happen, but do you guys think it would be a good idea? It would be step in a strange direction, but I think it would be a great thing for the brand for the most expensive phones in the world to run BlackBerry 10.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Patman1200 and chris8189 like this.
    01-13-14 01:07 PM
    I remember them from the java phones that cost 10k$ saw that in some documentary ..it showed how they were hand made and carved one by one...

Never knew they made smartphones tho..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-13-14 01:27 PM
    This makes the Porsche Design look cheap?? Hmmmm

BlackBerry 10 on Vertu Mobile Phones-img_20140113_133310.png
    01-13-14 01:33 PM
    From what I know, Vertu is selling its phones under its own brand, so BlackBerry brand would not have much exposure from this association.

But it wouldn't hurt, either.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-13-14 01:42 PM
    It would be about associating with a top brand and being exclusive of course. I would also suggest it as a one off and not repeated really. Basically BlackBerry 10 for BlackBerry, and for some Vertu phones.

Again, it won't happen, but it's a thought!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 02:17 PM
    Vertu were Symbian, now the new models are Android. Sell to same market as Porches Design so this is high end is covered. I imagine PD is free to sell as many as they like and I'm guessing BlackBerry gets a better profit on these Z10s

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:05 PM
    Vertu were bought by Nokia years ago, recently sold by them too.

If you ask me BlackBerry were inspired by phones like these and others when they first made the BlackBerry 9000 with the leather back, prior to that handset it was nothing but cheap plastic materials that weren't attractive one bit in the European market.

I certainly never considered a BlackBerry before that device due to the downgrade in appearance, I never had a Vertu but I had all the Nokia 88 series handsets in titanium and brushed metal looks.

Kind of reminds of another thread where some asked why a kid would want a BlackBerry? European take up was solely based on the functions BlackBerry's performed, email and bbm.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 05:42 AM
    I mean, BlackBerry could also simply extend their luxury phone offering and not even bother with Vertu...

That might be a better and more realistic option. Why not build a small line of luxury phones to be sold next to the Porsche ones? I think they would definitely sell at Harrods and Selfridges once the brand name is healed a bit in 2014.

Why only have Porsche phones? Why not a small series of designer lines - say, two phones with limited numbers, and different top designers every couple of years?

Posted via CB10
    chris8189 likes this.
    01-14-14 06:51 AM
    I found it very strange when Vertu started releasing it's current range of handsets with the Android operating system. For such an expensive device running the least secure operating system is mind boggling and does not make sense.
    02-08-14 11:09 AM
    I thought Vertu were Russian made.
    From what I understand these phones aren't about apps but personal service. So on your Vertu phone you don't download the Starbucks app, You call customer services speak to your appointed Vertu rep who understands your personal requirements and makes sure a table will be ready for you at Claridges at the usual time, calls your chauffeur gets him polishing the Rolls....
    02-08-14 11:40 AM
    I thought Vertu were Russian made.
    From what I understand these phones aren't about apps but personal service. So on your Vertu phone you don't download the Starbucks app, You call customer services speak to your appointed Vertu rep who understands your personal requirements and makes sure a table will be ready for you at Claridges at the usual time, calls your chauffeur gets him polishing the Rolls....
    Vertu handsets are made in the UK, and have always been made in the UK. They do, however, have a big Russian client base for obvious reasons (Russian oligarchs). The latest Vertu handsets run Android, so naturally all Android apps are available. One of the most unique features of these phones, however, is the Vertu Concierge, which is, as you say, a service tailored to your specific needs/requests.

So for that table by the window at Claridges that you always like to sit at, the concierge is only a phonecall away.
    02-08-14 12:06 PM
    Had to get rid of mine, becoming too common, too cheap----------. I wish lol

UK EE Z10 /1925/6 with Porsche Clock
    02-09-14 10:19 AM
    Had to get rid of mine, becoming too common, too cheap----------. I wish lol

UK EE Z10 /1925/6 with Porsche Clock
    As if. You don't the damn things anywhere in the wild!
    02-09-14 04:27 PM