07-27-16 04:00 AM
44 12
tools
    Using an android app. Where the bb app for that?
    07-23-16 11:11 AM
    You can't change permissions for Android apps on BB10, especially not run in background permissions.

The preloaded Amazon app is basically what you've described.
    I may be confusing apples and oranges here. SOME, but not ALL, android-based apps FROM BLACKBERRY WORLD will let you pick and choose permissions and still function. I mainly go for some of their radio players that are not native BlackBerry.

As for the others, I have only used the android Pandora, which stopped working, and Slacker, which I stopped using and went back to the BB10 version and also use the full-fledged BB7 app which just keeps on performing, for updating my music. I had also tried the android Sirius app but finally ditched Sirius.

Anyways, freedom to control your own phone was my point here, and it's still true.
    07-23-16 11:30 AM
    The joy of BlackBerry is: that is totally redundant and unnecessary, bc you can dont HAVE any renegade apps running in the background!

(do you even have a BlackBerry -- ?)
    I'm not even talking about headless apps. What I meant is your native BlackBerry apps like your calendar, browser, calculator. Got that all opened up and you have to close them all one by one by flicking that tiny X at the corner. And what about the maximum eight active frame limit here?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 11:37 AM
    There's a lot you can do with them. Like shut them down.
    Don't know if task manager is still available in BlackBerry world, but that kills all android processes. It's what I use.
    Ghost commander is another good one. You can force stop any android app and also turn off notifications on android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Those apps tend to start up again at some point. Skype is an infamous example. The only permanent/user friendly solution would be if BlackBerry implements some sort of a "Run in Background" permission for Android apps. I believe the Android runtime in Sailfish OS does this.

I may be confusing apples and oranges here. SOME, but not ALL, android-based apps FROM BLACKBERRY WORLD will let you pick and choose permissions and still function. I mainly go for some of their radio players that are not native BlackBerry.

As for the others, I have only used the android Pandora, which stopped working, and Slacker, which I stopped using and went back to the BB10 version and also use the full-fledged BB7 app which just keeps on performing, for updating my music. I had also tried the android Sirius app but finally ditched Sirius.

Anyways, freedom to control your own phone was my point here, and it's still true.
    You can only modify permissions for native apps, with Android apps it's all or nothing regardless of where you download them from (a BB10 limitation).
    07-23-16 11:39 AM
    ok, non-native BB apps are variable in this regard. I can run them with out giving them access permissions in SOME cases; I guess its the developer's decision. I haven't used any android apps that can reinstall themselves on a BlackBerry, I think you are mistaken on that point, but, I dont do Goggle play or the Amazon App Store.
    07-23-16 11:55 AM
    Those apps tend to start up again at some point. Skype is an infamous example. The only permanent/user friendly solution would be if BlackBerry implements some sort of a "Run in Background" permission for Android apps. I believe the Android runtime in Sailfish OS does this.

You can only modify permissions for native apps, with Android apps it's all or nothing regardless of where you download them from (a BB10 limitation).
    They never restart again if you force stop them in ghost commander. Until you manually start it again.
    Android apps for BB10 do have the option to turn on and off the run when minimised option.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 01:30 PM
    For most of the Android apps it's Impossible to disable permissions but the permission to run in the background can be disabled for all Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 03:10 PM
    Yes. I stopped the Amazon app and buried the icon in a folder, so while I can't delete it, it is effectively gone forever. Also, you don't need any special apps, you can stop them in Settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 04:12 PM
    ok, non-native BB apps are variable in this regard. I can run them with out giving them access permissions in SOME cases; I guess its the developer's decision. I haven't used any android apps that can reinstall themselves on a BlackBerry, I think you are mistaken on that point, but, I dont do Goggle play or the Amazon App Store.
    There's no way to disable app permissions from Android apps on BB10, even if you install them from BB World. The developer has no say in this, it's an OS limitation.

They never restart again if you force stop them in ghost commander. Until you manually start it again.
    Android apps for BB10 do have the option to turn on and off the run when minimised option.

Posted via CB10
    Force Stop is definitely more reliable than Task Killer, not ideal but it's something. The Run when Minimized permission is only for apps that are minimized to the apps screen, it doesn't apply when the app is closed unfortunately.

For most of the Android apps it's Impossible to disable permissions but the permission to run in the background can be disabled for all Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    You might be thinking of Run when Minimized, the background permission is only for native apps that need it. You can't for example disable the background permission for apps like Skype or Amazon.
    07-23-16 09:20 PM
    Sure, using android apps has SOME compromise, but, #1 you choose whether to add them, which ones to add, and can change your mind or disable their permission to run if you find it too invasive, AND delete them #2 they dont install themselves in the background without your permission, or change their permissions back from what you set them at, or disable your ability to delete them, or RE-install themselves after you have deleted them.

As someone else hilariously pointed out somewhere on this site, about the difference between BlackBerry and android, 'it is the difference between Heaven and Hell.'
    BlackBerry 10 they really didn't miss a thing.-1469326844005.jpg
    BlackBerry 10 they really didn't miss a thing.-1469326984152.jpg
    You can also change app permission in android. There are many security apps in playstore that has that features. And some android manufacturer included that under setting in their rom.
    07-23-16 10:23 PM
    You might be thinking of Run when Minimized, the background permission is only for native apps that need it. You can't for example disable the background permission for apps like Skype or Amazon.
    Yes, that's what I was talking about.
    About Skype, after I closed it from the Phone settings, it didn't start running again.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-16 05:45 AM
    Quote Invictus0: 'There's no way to disable app permissions from Android apps on BB10, even if you install them from BB World. The developer has no say in this, it's an OS limitation.'

This is simply not the case, do I have to find specific examples? I frequently have deleted apps I had just finished paying for bc I didn't approve of their permission settings and could not adjust them.
    Some examples of my apps that give you a choice but still work are: Star Player, Meet Your Device, Alaska explorer, That's Funny, browsers Altai, Annapurna, Browsie, Q Browser Pro, Rad.io, Radio Player Plus, Sec Browser, Top Music, Zeus, Downloader, Note+, Recorder Plus, Shortcutit, Stereotube, Trendy, Extreme Music, Do List -- These are the ones on my Q10 that allow selective permissions but I have more on other devices. (Some of these are BB but I am limiting my response time to providing the list, I forget which are android ports.)

Anyway, the thing I remember about hating my LG phone was the constant fight with data-slurping apps I didn't even want. I only went through that because I didn't know about BlackBerry. I was hating even having a smartphone, and went searching online for an alternative.

And I'll be sticking with BlackBerry to the bitter end, if it does end.
    Last edited by to boldly go; 07-24-16 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo
    07-24-16 03:28 PM
    They have missed to market the bb10 and that's a big thing they've missed..

Posted via my q10
    07-24-16 07:10 PM
    Basically, Android Apps cannot have their permissions changed natively because granular permissions where not official until 6.0, remember the ATR is based on 4.3 (You can use the App Ops utility to bodge it).

Native Apps like my own Star Player (thanks guy above ), Can of course have permissions toggled, it's all how the developer then handles the permissions been turned off, for example turning the Shared Files permission off on Star Player will disable the features that require it (well most, sorted properly next version) and leave everything else enabled.

So, more of a Android limitation than A BB10 one in this case

Posted via CB10
    07-24-16 07:19 PM
    Quote Invictus0: 'There's no way to disable app permissions from Android apps on BB10, even if you install them from BB World. The developer has no say in this, it's an OS limitation.'

This is simply not the case, do I have to find specific examples? I frequently have deleted apps I had just finished paying for bc I didn't approve of their permission settings and could not adjust them.
    Some examples of my apps that give you a choice but still work are: Star Player, Meet Your Device, Alaska explorer, That's Funny, browsers Altai, Annapurna, Browsie, Q Browser Pro, Rad.io, Radio Player Plus, Sec Browser, Top Music, Zeus, Downloader, Note+, Recorder Plus, Shortcutit, Stereotube, Trendy, Extreme Music, Do List -- These are the ones on my Q10 that allow selective permissions but I have more on other devices. (Some of these are BB but I am limiting my response time to providing the list, I forget which are android ports.)

Anyway, the thing I remember about hating my LG phone was the constant fight with data-slurping apps I didn't even want. I only went through that because I didn't know about BlackBerry. I was hating even having a smartphone, and went searching online for an alternative.

All of the apps you have mentioned are native BlackBerry apps, not Android apps.

So, more of a Android limitation than A BB10 one in this case
    Posted via CB10
    You could edit Android app permissions on the PlayBook but the app would crash when it needed it IIRC. I believe there are forked versions of Android that have implemented permission control, I assume the Android runtime could as well if BlackBerry wanted to invest in that aspect.
    Last edited by Invictus0; 07-24-16 at 07:33 PM.
    07-24-16 07:21 PM

You could edit Android app permissions on the PlayBook but the app would crash when it needed it IIRC. I believe there are forked versions of Android that have implemented permission control, I assume the Android runtime could as well if BlackBerry wanted to invest in that aspect.
    Exactly, the crashing is because it wasn't a proper Android feature so the Apps have no exception handling for when the API call fails and just panicked and crashed

It would be a complete nightmare if BB10 had that, especially the way BB10 handles App crashes and the way they can get stuck in the memory until a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-16 07:54 PM
    Exactly, the crashing is because it wasn't a proper Android feature so the Apps have no exception handling for when the API call fails and just panicked and crashed

It would be a complete nightmare if BB10 had that, especially the way BB10 handles App crashes and the way they can get stuck in the memory until a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    The solution would be to send dummy/empty data. CyanogenMod does this IIRC as do solutions like XPrivacy.
    07-24-16 08:27 PM

What an extremely epic fail on your part. All of the apps you listed are native BlackBerry. Android apps on BB10 do not allow selective permissions. It's all or nothing. End of story.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 07:01 PM
    This has been around since OS10 was released. Was glitchy on 10.1 and 10.2 but seems to have improved on 10.3

Posted by PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    07-27-16 04:00 AM
44 12