For many, many years I used ("classic") BlackBerry OS... From the early "BlackBerry" smartphones, almost right up until the end of ("classic") BlackBerry OS. But I never got a chance to take BlackBerry 10 for a spin, because by the time it finally came out on smartphones, ("classic") BlackBerry OS was really showing its age and I had since moved over to Google's Android, using devices that had a physical keyboard (though I have since moved away from Google's Android, as per my comments below).

I actually did seriously consider BlackBerry 10 at one stage though - but I soon discovered that all of Australia's networks wanted nothing to do with it... I went everywhere looking for BlackBerry 10 smartphones and not only did I not have any luck finding them, but many stores didn't even know Research in Motion were still making smartphones!

TCL's "BlackBerry" products were even harder to get a hold of in Australia, but I refuse to use these, due to the appalling track record both Google and the Chinese Government have with regards to privacy (TCL is owned by the Chinese Government)... I moved away from everything Google a couple of years ago due to these concerns, and now I use an "Apple" smartphone, which is not perfect - but certainly more privacy-focused than the alternative.

Annnyyyway, enough "back story".

I've always hated touch input - my wife will be the first to vouch for how much time I spend swearing at my smartphone every day - and BlackBerry 10 smartphones can be bought for relatively cheap these days on eBay... So I'm wondering whether it is still realistically feasible to pick up a BlackBerry 10 smartphone and use it as my "daily driver"?

Therefore, is BlackBerry 10 still feasible in mid-late 2020?

In particular, I would like to know:
    • Do BlackBerry (the company) still support and / or otherwise maintain BlackBerry 10 (updates / upgrades, security patches, bug fixes, etc...)?
    • Will BlackBerry 10 allow me to configure my VPN service provider and if so, what methods of connection are supported?
    • How is BlackBerry 10's support for CardDAV and CalDAV?
    • Does BlackBerry 10 support the creation of "personal hotspots" (i.e. turn one's smartphone into a wireless access point)?
    • Are third-party applications still downloadable?
    • Which BlackBerry 10 smartphone offered the best usage times?

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from some of you...
    04-18-20 04:42 AM
    For many, many years I used ("classic") BlackBerry OS... From the early "BlackBerry" smartphones, almost right up until the end of ("classic") BlackBerry OS. But I never got a chance to take BlackBerry 10 for a spin, because by the time it finally came out on smartphones, ("classic") BlackBerry OS was really showing its age and I had since moved over to Google's Android, using devices that had a physical keyboard (though I have since moved away from Google's Android, as per my comments below).

I actually did seriously consider BlackBerry 10 at one stage though - but I soon discovered that all of Australia's networks wanted nothing to do with it... I went everywhere looking for BlackBerry 10 smartphones and not only did I not have any luck finding them, but many stores didn't even know Research in Motion were still making smartphones!

TCL's "BlackBerry" products were even harder to get a hold of in Australia, but I refuse to use these, due to the appalling track record both Google and the Chinese Government have with regards to privacy (TCL is owned by the Chinese Government)... I moved away from everything Google a couple of years ago due to these concerns, and now I use an "Apple" smartphone, which is not perfect - but certainly more privacy-focused than the alternative.

Annnyyyway, enough "back story".

I've always hated touch input - my wife will be the first to vouch for how much time I spend swearing at my smartphone every day - and BlackBerry 10 smartphones can be bought for relatively cheap these days on eBay... So I'm wondering whether it is still realistically feasible to pick up a BlackBerry 10 smartphone and use it as my "daily driver"?

Therefore, is BlackBerry 10 still feasible in mid-late 2020?

In particular, I would like to know:
    • Do BlackBerry (the company) still support and / or otherwise maintain BlackBerry 10 (updates / upgrades, security patches, bug fixes, etc...)?
    • Will BlackBerry 10 allow me to configure my VPN service provider and if so, what methods of connection are supported?
    • How is BlackBerry 10's support for CardDAV and CalDAV?
    • Does BlackBerry 10 support the creation of "personal hotspots" (i.e. turn one's smartphone into a wireless access point)?
    • Are third-party applications still downloadable?
    • Which BlackBerry 10 smartphone offered the best usage times?

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from some of you...
    Let me preface couple of things. I'm a BlackBerry fan but I have no privacy issues or concerns for myself that leaves me avoiding either Android/iOS nor preferring EOL OS like Windows/BlackBerry except for general mobile hobby interest.

With those disclosures,

"Do BlackBerry (the company) still support and / or otherwise maintain BlackBerry 10 (updates / upgrades, security patches, bug fixes, etc...)?"

No, BB10 is officially declared EOL per Official BlackBerry website.

"Does BlackBerry 10 support the creation of "personal hotspots" (i.e. turn one's smartphone into a wireless access point)?"

Depends on the device and your carrier.

"Are third-party applications still downloadable?"

Yes, but again some caveats. The app store, BBW, is still up and running but in a static version only. The apps can no longer be updated or purchased so only apps that were available free are really download capable. Also, native BB10 apps weren't available in sufficient quantities so developers were allowed to port Android versions over to increase BB10 ecosystem numbers.

That still wasn't enough so then Android version apps that ran maximum 4.3 Android Runtime were supported. The problem is that ART 4.3 is old now and BB10 wasn't really designed or meant to rely on Android ecosystem apps.

The Q5 and Z3 can only run native or ported apps effectively. The Z10, Q10, Z30, Classic and Leap can run the Android version apps but only the older versions with a 4.3 minimum requirement or less and they don't run very good. The Passport is your best choice, but the ecosystem limitations still exist.

"Which BlackBerry 10 smartphone offered the best usage times?"

The usage times are really about the same depending on how really hard you try and push the hardware. Based on my previous answer regarding ecosystem above. If you want to attempt to run Android ecosystem version apps with any chance of success, the Passport would be my only choice.

It's best to only consider any BB10 hardware for calls, texting and email.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 04-18-20 at 07:33 AM.
    04-18-20 06:48 AM
    There are a number of similar threads that discuss this in varying detail and biases.

There are folks here that can and will help you.

FWIW, I don't miss BBOS (Torch 9800), but routinely miss BB10 (Z10). My wife still gets an occasional "this just worked" or "this sure was easier on my BlackBerry" rant.

I'm no power user or use tons of apps, but moved to Android (LG G7) when BB10 just couldn't meet my needs anymore , and no decent (specs and price) touch device from BBMo.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.
    04-18-20 12:19 PM
    Go Z30 or Passport. Leap is good I hear. But the Z10 even on doing something like texting and emails it's insanely sluggish now. I have one and it's very slow moving. Now the browser gets terribly slow. Even on the Z30 it goes at a pace but gets the job done. The Z10 is too slow and sluggish in my opinion

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    04-21-20 09:08 AM
    USA blackberry fan here... I loved my BB10, and it worked perfectly until T-mobile in NYC upgraded their whatevers, (I never got a clear answer,) and I stopped getting signal at home. That is why I had to switch to the Key2, which is not really a blackberry, but it's serviceable, and has a KILLER keyboard which I love. I can't imagine life without a physical keyboard, and I resent so much being pushed into it. My two cents.
    04-21-20 01:04 PM
    Go Z30 or Passport. Leap is good I hear. But the Z10 even on doing something like texting and emails it's insanely sluggish now. I have one and it's very slow moving. Now the browser gets terribly slow. Even on the Z30 it goes at a pace but gets the job done. The Z10 is too slow and sluggish in my opinion

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    What? I still use my Z10 from time to time. Perfectly fine for email and text, would not call it sluggish at all. Web browsing will be slower for sure if you're used to newer phones

If you don't mind the size, Passport is the way to go. Really good battery life and has the power to chug through many duties. That being said, I find the Z30 nearly as good and a better choice if you don't like the square screen.
    Passport is my daily driver during this pandemic and serves duty for everything, including my daily browsing. Everything except for my work which requires a hefty engineering PC.
    04-21-20 10:14 PM
    [*]Will BlackBerry 10 allow me to configure my VPN service provider and if so, what methods of connection are supported?
    Yes. Using NordVPN (IKEv2 method) daily and works like a charm in the background. But available methods are limited, e.g. no OpenVPN. It's much easier to find VPN provider suitable for BB10 than to configure existing VPN account on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-20 08:33 AM
    If, after reading all of the above, you're still considered BB10, I would say Passport unless the shape and size put you off. My only other BB10 phone is the Z30, which has no physical keyboard. I must say, though, it is far and away the best virtual keyboard I have used.
    05-19-20 09:54 PM
    Please stay on topic -- the feasibility of BB10 in 2020.
    05-21-20 08:18 AM
    It depends on what you wish the phone to do. For calls, texts, emails and calendar (and music and photos)...BB10 seems to be spot on. As my KeyOne died, I am using both my Classic and Passport trying to decide which I will use for my every day. But beyond that, its definitely a step down. Browser, cloud access and bank app is way below what my replacement Android Nokia 7.2 might offer me. If I traveled and needed Uber or my airIne app, I'd need to carry my Nokia. (But since I don't travel much and pretty much live on my laptop and Amazon tablet otherwise, I can handle that). I detest using Android if I can avoid it. BB10 flow and these keyboards are just so much easier to use.
    06-07-20 10:35 PM
    For me there's only one thing holding me back from using my passport full time is my work email. They've removed all ability for bb10 to be used. I've tricked bb10 into getting the email in and send sometimes but it sometimes sends...but most time gives me the error and I have to try again and again. If I can just have that one work email come in without having to use the OWA Web version, I'd be doing cartwheels.

The other downside is social media. I cant get Pages for Facebook to work. Runs and crashes and is unusable. I manage a number of pages so for the true daily driver it would need to work.

Twitter apps can be worked around but I need a reliable app that I can get notifications and use... it's so close.

If you are doing calls, texts, emails, and basic stuff bb10 is a dream.

If only we can go back in time and show bb that in 2020 there is still demand... who knows.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-20 10:50 PM
    For me there's only one thing holding me back from using my passport full time is my work email. They've removed all ability for bb10 to be used. I've tricked bb10 into getting the email in and send sometimes but it sometimes sends...but most time gives me the error and I have to try again and again. If I can just have that one work email come in without having to use the OWA Web version, I'd be doing cartwheels.

The other downside is social media. I cant get Pages for Facebook to work. Runs and crashes and is unusable. I manage a number of pages so for the true daily driver it would need to work.

Twitter apps can be worked around but I need a reliable app that I can get notifications and use... it's so close.

If only we can go back in time and show bb that in 2020 there is still demand... who knows.

Posted via CB10
    There was always demand, just never enough to pay for ongoing development and support to keep corporate IT executives happy. Even the BBAndroid hub protocols couldn't be supported completely when Google changed the rules. There were some possible exceptions or alternatives that BlackBerry didn't have enough demand to pursue.
    06-07-20 11:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    For Twitter... did you try Bird10?

There wasn't enough demand in 2013 when million of units were being bought.... a couple thousand die hard fans in 2020 mean very little to BlackBerry. But at least they care enough to keep BBW going.... things could have been a lot worse in 2020 than it is.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-08-20 01:07 PM
    it just was not feasible to establish a third app eco system besides android and apple. blackberry shouldnt internalise the failure of bb10 it was

and

i
    s

severely underrated

had we only paid more often for the apps it wouldvebeen abit easier for the community hmmmm.

itis remarkable that tcl couldnt get a good niche in the android devies
    it was just one of many then, where all associated nostalgia

and management didnt convince the testing people
    so itwas like a regret x nostalgia keyboard thing iguess

they seriously stillsaid blackberry doesnt need5g

whenall delayed manufactruing to integrate it

but stillwant 1000bucks forit

hmmmmm

ihope theymake a key3 and 4 and 5 with LNL6 evenif samsung has tomanufactureit for em
    06-08-20 02:50 PM
    Grammar? Punctuation? Space? New row? New sentence? Ever heard of those things?

Interesting fact, I never owned BlackBerry before. I bought Classic 6 months ago. As my first BlackBerry device. Few months later I bought z10.
    I love my classic. I am writing this on it. But, as I said few times before, and explained, I cannot use it as my main phone. But as secondary phone for mail and some other stuff, it is perfect. The keyboard is just great. Excellent!

Posted via CB10
    gregory_opera and John Albert like this.
    06-13-20 09:51 AM
    Grammar? Punctuation? Space? New row? New sentence? Ever heard of those things?

Interesting fact, I never owned BlackBerry before. I bought Classic 6 months ago. As my first BlackBerry device. Few months later I bought z10.
    I love my classic. I am writing this on it. But, as I said few times before, and explained, I cannot use it as my main phone. But as secondary phone for mail and some other stuff, it is perfect. The keyboard is just great. Excellent!

Posted via CB10
    A BlackBerry doesn't necessarily a good grammarian make!
    06-13-20 10:23 AM
    Hello! Just adding my 2 cents here.

If you're the type of person who's not an avid consumer of social media, then this phone might be a good daily driver.

If you use your phone primarily for emails, calls, text, browsing I can say that the BB10 still works exceptionally well. Actually one time I did an experiment, I sent an email thru my computer and checked who between the two phones that I own, Huawei Nova 3i and BlackBerry Classic, would receive emails faster. The winner was classic by a second or two. I also find the LED notifications very useful. I am also a Public Relations Officer of the nutrition society that I belong to and it requires me to reply to emails as fast as possible. So between my personal Professional email and my society's email I can determine within just a glance on my phone without opening if I have email messages.

What I can suggest is for you to have 2 phones, 1 BB10 for communications and the other one for media and social media consumption. That's what I do.

Hope I added some 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    06-14-20 04:55 AM
    If you're the type of person who's not an avid consumer of social media, then this phone might be a good daily driver.
    Yeah, I'm not a "social media" guy... I don't have a Facebook account, I don't have Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram or any of that other crap. I did open a Reddit account just recently, though that was mostly for a specific purpose and will probably be closed in the near future.

Primarily I use my existing smartphone for e-mail, reading the news and Wikipedia.

The problem is, since I made my original post, I have identified some issues that will be a problem in 2020...

Firstly, I recently bought a drone - which does not have an application for Blackberry 10. Secondly, I use Apple Pay and online banking all the time (at least half-a-dozen times a day), so it would be a pretty big loss to go without these.

The "drone" issue can be worked around (just keep my Apple iPhone XR for use with this), as can Apple Pay (I have a physical Amex card I can use) - but without online banking apps for BlackBerry 10... Well that's a deal breaker, unfortunately.
    Last edited by gregory_opera; 06-14-20 at 07:39 AM.
    06-14-20 07:22 AM
    Xiaomi redmi 5 is my main, with 2 numbers in it and classic is my second with my third number in it, and one work and one private mail are on it.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-20 07:26 AM
    Xiaomi redmi 5 is my main, with 2 numbers in it and classic is my second with my third number in it, and one work and one private mail are on it.

Posted via CB10
    A Chinese smartphone? Yeah, I'll pass.
    06-14-20 07:41 AM
    As we see with the last several posts, the BB10 software component isn't standalone capable. You'd need to have a second device for all things BB10 can no longer do. It can still be used as secondary or tertiary device.
    06-14-20 08:06 AM
    As much I love my classic or even my z10, and although we have this new youtube app, it is still much slower for youtube watching and web browsing, plus, some sites won't even load properly. And, whatsapp and viber consume much more cpu and battery than those on android phone. Another and, gps is unusable.
    I don't use facebook anymore, so it is not a problem for me, but I sometimes use instagram. Also, on android phone, I use ebay, aliexpress and gearbest apps. And some others, too, which are unusable on my classic.

The list goes on and on.

But, as someone says, if they make another classic, with much faster cpu, a bit more ram and storage, with better camera and battery, and with better browser, I will hapily buy it and use it. BlackBerry os 10 is still good and can be used efficiently. And, art also need upgrade, to android 6. Then, with those native aps we have now, it could be a beast. But, those are all pure imaginations... dreaming

Anyway, I am happy to use my classic as long as I can

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    06-14-20 02:56 PM
    As much I love my classic or even my z10, and although we have this new youtube app, it is still much slower for youtube watching and web browsing, plus, some sites won't even load properly. And, whatsapp and viber consume much more cpu and battery than those on android phone. Another and, gps is unusable.
    I don't use facebook anymore, so it is not a problem for me, but I sometimes use instagram. Also, on android phone, I use ebay, aliexpress and gearbest apps. And some others, too, which are unusable on my classic.

The list goes on and on.

But, as someone says, if they make another classic, with much faster cpu, a bit more ram and storage, with better camera and battery, and with better browser, I will hapily buy it and use it. BlackBerry os 10 is still good and can be used efficiently. And, art also need upgrade, to android 6. Then, with those native aps we have now, it could be a beast. But, those are all pure imaginations... dreaming

Anyway, I am happy to use my classic as long as I can

Posted via CB10
    Why not upgrade to ART 11 then?
    06-14-20 03:35 PM
    Why not upgrade to ART 11 then?
    OF COURSE!
    06-14-20 04:51 PM
    Are there any Open Source projects for Blackberry 10 devices?

There have been numerous cases over the years where manufacturers have abandoned or sold their products, only to have the products later supported via an Open Source project... For example, UBports for Ubuntu "Touch" devices, "Rebble" for "Pebble" smartwatches and Open webOS for webOS devices; not to mention countless others.

Surely someone has started an Open Source project somewhere?
    06-14-20 07:05 PM
34 12