Although I've never tried that, it would be a MAJOR security vulnerability if that were allowed to happen.
    I have found that some security vulnerabilities are in the eye of the beholder. For example, I view using GooBerrys or any Android device as a MAJOR security vulnerability.

However, in this case, since you would still need to be signed in to Link (which would provide the BBID decryption basis for the backup), there would be no security vulnerability on Blackberry Limited's end. Now, if you leave your computer unlocked and someone has a spare BB10 device that they're using to acquire your data, sure, that would be a problem. But that security vulnerability would be on your part, not BBL's/BB10's.
    12-03-18 05:52 PM
    I have found that some security vulnerabilities are in the eye of the beholder. For example, I view using GooBerrys or any Android device as a MAJOR security vulnerability.

However, in this case, since you would still need to be signed in to Link (which would provide the BBID decryption basis for the backup), there would be no security vulnerability on Blackberry Limited's end. Now, if you leave your computer unlocked and someone has a spare BB10 device that they're using to acquire your data, sure, that would be a problem. But that security vulnerability would be on your part, not BBL's/BB10's.
    That would be pathetic. I have serious doubts. I'm going to try it right now on one of my spare Z10s.
    12-03-18 05:54 PM
    That would be pathetic. I have serious doubts. I'm going to try it right now on one of my spare Z10s.
    Pathetic can also be in the eye of the beholder. Some of us believe that Blackberry Limited had a chance at the mobile OS market with Blackberry 10, or indeed beyond 2006. Some of us do not. Sometimes it's truly relative.
    12-03-18 06:11 PM
    Waiting patiently for conite's experiment. I think conite is correct on this.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-18 06:13 PM
    Waiting patiently for conite's experiment. I think conite is correct on this.

Posted via CB10
    Pathetic can also be in the eye of the beholder. Some of us believe that Blackberry Limited had a chance at the mobile OS market with Blackberry 10, or indeed beyond 2006. Some of us do not. Sometimes it's truly relative.
    Phew.

Link, Sachesi, and DBBT will not restore a backup if there is either no device BBID, or a non-matching BBID. As expected.

Not good for the prospects of post-2019, but relieved that such a security fiasco never existed.
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-03-18 07:00 PM
    Phew.

Link, Sachesi, and DBBT will not restore a backup if there is either no device BBID, or a non-matching BBID. As expected.

Not good for the prospects of post-2019, but relieved that such a security fiasco never existed.
    For clarification: I never argued that Link, or any third-party tools, will restore a backup without a BBID. I have argued, and continue to maintain, that you can back up a device with an existing Blackberry ID (say, [email protected]), and then restore that backup (still needing to either sign in as or be signed in as [email protected] via Link/whatever) to a device without having to sign in to any Blackberry ID on the device itself once the restore is completed.

The device will prompt you for a sign-in but the sign-in is not required for the device to operate.
    12-03-18 07:10 PM
    I'm ashamed to ask this but how can I sign out with my BlackBerry ID??? I want to sign out to see if my installed third-party apps keep on working..
    MarteeNL, as sometimes happens with these threads we have gotten off topic and into discussions I sometimes have with others in the CB community. Please feel free to PM me (click on my username in orange at the top of this post, then click on PM in blue to the right of Posts in the window that pops up) if you'd like further information on how to test your third-party apps.
    12-03-18 07:12 PM
    For clarification: I never argued that Link, or any third-party tools, will restore a backup without a BBID. I have argued, and continue to maintain, that you can back up a device with an existing Blackberry ID (say, [email protected]), and then restore that backup (still needing to either sign in as or be signed in as [email protected] via Link/whatever) to a device without having to sign in to any Blackberry ID on the device itself once the restore is completed.

The device will prompt you for a sign-in but the sign-in is not required for the device to operate.
    Nope.

That's exactly what I was testing.

Unless the DEVICE has the same BBID that was encrypted into the .BBB file (and there MUST be one), it will not allow a restore.
    Last edited by conite; 12-03-18 at 08:12 PM.
    12-03-18 07:14 PM
    MarteeNL, as sometimes happens with these threads we have gotten off topic and into discussions I sometimes have with others in the CB community. Please feel free to PM me (click on my username in orange at the top of this post, then click on PM in blue to the right of Posts in the window that pops up) if you'd like further information on how to test your third-party apps.
    This IS the topic.

It's also the specific answer to his specific question.
    12-03-18 09:48 PM
    This IS the topic.

It's also the specific answer to his specific question.
    As with our many other areas of disagreement conite, you are welcome to your opinion. If marteeNL agrees with you they don't have to PM me. I was simply offering the option, as many BB10/BBOS users tend to feel as if their needs aren't addressed at CB these days.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-18 10:21 PM
    I was simply offering the option, as many BB10/BBOS users tend to feel as if their needs aren't addressed at CB these days.
    That’s usually because their “needs” run counter to reality.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-04-18 06:37 AM
    As with our many other areas of disagreement conite, you are welcome to your opinion. If marteeNL agrees with you they don't have to PM me. I was simply offering the option, as many BB10/BBOS users tend to feel as if their needs aren't addressed at CB these days.

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree with Conite on a number of things... like quality and prospects of BBMo.

But on the technical side of things I have to agree, especially as I've also tried to restore a backup without a BBID or BlackBerry Protect on a phone... it didn't work.

Maybe if you layout your process for achieving your positive results...
    12-04-18 07:44 AM
    I don't agree with Conite on a number of things... like quality and prospects of BBMo.
    As a complete aside, although I do think BBMo makes a quality product, I don't take any position on its future prospects. Ultimately, the size of the market for a physical keyboard will determine that.
    12-04-18 08:24 AM
    That’s usually because their “needs” run counter to reality.
    Isn't that a little condescending? BB10 users are loyal and find their devices to be more productive. They want to use them as long as they can.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 11:31 AM
    Isn't that a little condescending? BB10 users are loyal and find their devices to be more productive. They want to use them as long as they can.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, but how does that loyalty help BlackBerry? What do they get out of those who continue to use a 5 year old device? There's no continuing revenue for them.

I only say 5 years because that's how old my Z10 is. Even then, I bought it as a refurb from AT&T. So BlackBerry only got money from the first sale of that device, not any from me (unless BlackBerry does get a little something from the second sale by the carrier).

Obviously, revenue from app sales on BBW haven't helped much, as that's the only continuing revenue after device sale they would get.
    12-04-18 11:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Loyal to whom?
    12-04-18 12:19 PM
    Isn't that a little condescending?
    No. “Condescending” is BlackBerry users assuming, with zero empirical evidence, that they are more productive that Android or iOS users simply because of the phone brand they happen to prefer. “Condescending” is insisting that e-mail, text messages and phone calls are the only useful things a phone can do, and assuming that apps are a waste of time and people only use them because they’re mindless zombies, or sheep, or whatever other nonsense.

Telling BBOS and BB10 users that their phones are obsolete, no longer supported, and will lose functionality (or stop functioning in any useful way at all) in the near future is just factual.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-04-18 12:24 PM
    I don't know if this is dump but am still asking it
    why did they push the 10.3.3 update of that government and security related thing if they had to shut it it all down next year!
    ????

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 12:28 PM
    why did they push the 10.3.3 update of that government and security related thing if they had to shut it it all down next year!
    ????

Posted via CB10
    The last 10.3.3 update was put on the BlackBerry server last Feb.
    12-04-18 12:46 PM
    ????

Posted via CB10
    Most likely because they had a contractual obligation to do so while the phone's were still supported.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-04-18 12:49 PM
    Maybe, but how does that loyalty help BlackBerry? What do they get out of those who continue to use a 5 year old device? There's no continuing revenue for them.

I only say 5 years because that's how old my Z10 is. Even then, I bought it as a refurb from AT&T. So BlackBerry only got money from the first sale of that device, not any from me (unless BlackBerry does get a little something from the second sale by the carrier).

Obviously, revenue from app sales on BBW haven't helped much, as that's the only continuing revenue after device sale they would get.
    I wasn't commenting on BB's business strategy but complaining about BB10 users. Maybe I took the comment wrong. I would agree that BB has done well in maintaining BB10 after they decided to pull the plug. I love this OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 12:51 PM
    Loyal to whom?
    What we knew as BlackBerry before Chen came in and fired all the engineers.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 12:53 PM
    No. “Condescending” is BlackBerry users assuming, with zero empirical evidence, that they are more productive that Android or iOS users simply because of the phone brand they happen to prefer. “Condescending” is insisting that e-mail, text messages and phone calls are the only useful things a phone can do, and assuming that apps are a waste of time and people only use them because they’re mindless zombies, or sheep, or whatever other nonsense.

Telling BBOS and BB10 users that their phones are obsolete, no longer supported, and will lose functionality (or stop functioning in any useful way at all) in the near future is just factual.
    Ah, I took your comment right.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 12:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    So what then?
    12-04-18 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    At that point BlackBerry sucked. BBOS was it’s better platform before Chen arrived. Before Chen, BB10 was awful. The ecosystem and usability lagged BBOS and that’s being very polite to BBOS at that point. I waited how many years for BlackBerry answer to Android/IOS only to get BB10, the half completed OS with no ecosystem or standard customary BlackBerry features.

Then solution is BlackBerry should have advertised more, something NOBODY cared for since it didn’t have things majority of buyers wanted expected. With cash, BlackBerry didn’t have, since existing cash was already spent on commitments elsewhere.

Then bringing up loyalty of BB10 users. The minute BlackBerry chooses better strategy by choosing BBAndroid like it should have done from beginning, all the loyalists ������ complaining. At what point does anyone understand BlackBerry should have gone under around time of Z30 introduction but not for Chen.
    12-04-18 01:58 PM
241 ... 34567 ...