For the fiscal year ending March 1st 2014, BlackBerry lost four and a half billion dollars in the 3rd quarter, and another half billion in the fourth quarter.

Had they not started aggressively dumping hardware in the 4th quarter of that year, how long do you think their two billion dollars of cash reserves would have lasted?
    That wouldn't happen to be the quarter that Chen came in and took a bath to cleanse the company of goodwill writedowns, etc.? Like all new CEO's in turnaround situations?

Where do you think the $1.5B or whatever came from to purchase that company last week? Earnings?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 08:39 PM
    That wouldn't happen to be the quarter that Chen came in and took a bath to cleanse the company of goodwill writedowns, etc.? Like all new CEO's in turnaround situations?

Where do you think the $1.5B or whatever came from to purchase that company last week? Earnings?

Posted via CB10
    That 1.5 billion was available because it was no longer tied to honouring commitments.

There is NO parallel universe where BB10 went on to be successful (and not almost sink the company) under ANY leadership.
    11-28-18 08:42 PM
    Z3, Passport, Classic and Leap were all just attempts to see a return on the components they were already obligated to buy.
    Sigh. I don't agree. Sounds like classic Chen-apologism. He was trying for a while and he failed. Maybe the odds were against him but he tried. No one knew exactly what would happen.

Was Windows phone also just burning off parts commitments?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 08:42 PM
    They had to sell the fiction that bb10 had a future.
    I don't think it was fiction, though it obviously wasn't the ending to the story that you were looking for. By 2014, anyone paying attention knew that BB10 was going to be supported in more or less its current state with minimal 3rd party app support. For me the story has played out much better than I ever expected. My BB10 phones will still be running better than new more than 6-1/2 years after purchase. No other mobile phone has a record like that.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 and bb9900user2018 like this.
    11-28-18 08:44 PM
    Sigh. I don't agree. Sounds like classic Chen-apologism. He was trying for a while and he failed. Maybe the odds were against him but he tried. No one knew exactly what would happen.

Was Windows phone also just burning off parts commitments?

Posted via CB10
    Where is your documented evidence? I know I've almost buried you with mine (although you came up with a reason to dismiss each and every piece).

And what does Windows phone have to do with it?
    11-28-18 09:04 PM
    I don't think it was fiction, though it obviously wasn't the ending to the story that you were looking for. By 2014, anyone paying attention knew that BB10 was going to be supported in more or less its current state with minimal 3rd party app support. For me the story has played out much better than I ever expected. My BB10 phones will still be running better than new more than 6-1/2 years after purchase. No other mobile phone has a record like that.

This is a nice way of looking at it. I expect to use BB10 for another 2-5 years. Not kidding. That a long ride for an OS. (Sailfish please keep on going!)

The only sad thing is that right now there is NO alternative that's as good for working and that respects your privacy and doesn't need cloud storage of all your calendar, etc.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-28-18 09:13 PM

There are BBOS guys that would disagree....
    bbfanfan likes this.
    11-29-18 06:58 AM
    There are BBOS guys that would disagree....
    That's a valid point!!

11-29-18 11:05 AM
    My Z10 does still run great... but just like three years ago when I stopped using it, it doesn't run great with the apps that "I" want to run.

For the basics BB10 was great, and was in my view much better than BBOS. If there really was a market for basic business phones... and if BlackBerry could have settled for a few million in sales.
    11-29-18 11:22 AM
    Furthermore, it would be unlikely in the extreme that a device would somehow require a call back to Blackberry servers to connect to wireless networks using industry standard protocols. That's simply not how wireless works.
    Tell that to my Symbian (Belle OS) phone collection

Posted via CB10
    11-29-18 04:05 PM
    If there are a few apps that you think you really need, I would try to contact the developers now. Although, it's unlikely that they are still around.
    Yeah that's the problem. Alright, lets put 3rd party apps to the side for the meantime...

I'd like to know please, is it possible to install (or backup & restore) the default Blackberry 10 core OS without BBID?

I'm just exploring any options of sticking to BB10 after Blackberry (potentially) turn off their servers, in case I ever have to do a device refresh.
    11-30-18 11:45 AM
    I'd like to know please, is it possible to install (or backup & restore) the default Blackberry 10 core OS without BBID?
    That is the $64k question. No one (except BB) knows at this point just what will happen. There is a chance that if you need to reinstall the OS, you will be unable to sign in. As of right now, you need that BBID and the OS will not work without it. I think we will find out more in 2019 as to how and if this problem will be explained or fixed. I'm an optimist and expect something to be done to remedy the situation but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-30-18 11:53 AM
    Yeah that's the problem. Alright, lets put 3rd party apps to the side for the meantime...

I'm just exploring any options of sticking to BB10 after Blackberry (potentially) turn off their servers, in case I ever have to do a device refresh.
    Assuming the worst, that the BBID infrastructure will be shut down, so long as you disable Blackberry Protect prior to shutdown, you should be able to reload the OS. But there is no way to restore apps to the device.

The only option would be to acquire the bar files directly from the developers, and then proceeding to sideload them.
    11-30-18 11:56 AM
    From test that some have performed.... Reloading the OS isn't an issue.

But restoring a LINK backup will not work, and with no BB World.... only thing you'll have is a clean device with whatever apps you can install from other sources.

But that's test with the infrastructure up and the user bypassing the BBID logon. Who knows how BB10 reacts if it never gets a call back from home?

A year from now I expect there will be some clarification for those that want to know, for now... it's another 12 months away, why worry about it.
    11-30-18 01:21 PM
    Assuming the worst, that the BBID infrastructure will be shut down, so long as you disable Blackberry Protect prior to shutdown, you should be able to reload the OS.
    From test that some have performed.... Reloading the OS isn't an issue. But restoring a LINK backup will not work
    Great to hear thanks. Obviously not via Link - so I'm assuming you guys are referring to reloading the OS via the Autoloader?

A year from now I expect there will be some clarification for those that want to know, for now... it's another 12 months away, why worry about it.
    I'm an optimist and expect something to be done to remedy the situation but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    I genuinely am not optimistic that Blackberry will do anything to aid consumers in this regard. They just want to be done with BB10, which is of course understandable.
    11-30-18 02:49 PM
    Great to hear thanks. Obviously not via Link - so I'm assuming you guys are referring to reloading the OS via the Autoloader?

I genuinely am not optimistic that Blackberry will do anything to aid consumers in this regard. They just want to be done with BB10, which is of course understandable.
    Yeah Autoloader is probable going to be the only solution at that point.... LINK wants to confirm your BBID and the one on the phone with the Servers... if those servers aren't there, no communications. But again that's worse case, 2020 might come and BlackBerry leaves them up....
    11-30-18 03:03 PM
    Not quite sure I understand this - are you saying it's possible to backup/restore without BBID? As in, by using 3rd party softwares?

I was under the impression that if and when Blackberry decide to shutdown their BBID servers, it would be impossible to restore one's backup.

Thanks.
    I am saying that it will be possible to backup and restore, but (at this point at least) not via Link. One can use apps such as Ultimate Backup (available directly through the developer Runisoft, if you haven't already purchased it) to back up the vast majority of BB10 data (contacts, photos, calendar, all files, etc.) and not need a Blackberry ID at all.

It is true that things which only Link/Sachesi/similar computer-based programs can back up will not be restorable if BBL decides to shutdown the BBID infrastructure, so app data and the individual installed BARs will be an issue, but your actual data on the device will still be able to backed up and restored.
    MilanSk likes this.
    11-30-18 03:10 PM
    I am saying that it will be possible to backup and restore, but (at this point at least) not via Link. One can use apps such as Ultimate Backup (available directly through the developer Runisoft, if you haven't already purchased it) to back up the vast majority of BB10 data (contacts, photos, calendar, all files, etc.) and not need a Blackberry ID at all.

It is true that things which only Link/Sachesi/similar computer-based programs can back up will not be restorable if BBL decides to shutdown the BBID infrastructure, so app data and the individual installed BARs will be an issue, but your actual data on the device will still be able to backed up and restored.
    Well, for that kind of data you can simply sync to cloud services such as Google, MS Exchange, Outlook.com, etc. The problem isn't backing up PIM data. The problem is restoring BB10 apps from BlackBerry World after its demise. There is currently no alternative to Link for that.

11-30-18 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. Although I was specifically referring to the backup & restore of the OS including apps.

Well, for that kind of data you can simply sync to cloud services such as Google, MS Exchange, Outlook.com, etc. The problem isn't backing up PIM data. The problem is restoring BB10 apps from BlackBerry World after its demise. There is currently no alternative to Link for that.
    Yep, but Link is really hit and miss on Windows 10.

So far I've backed up & restored via DBBT which is super simple to use (but of course still relies on access to BBID servers).
    12-01-18 10:55 AM
    I'm ashamed to ask this but how can I sign out with my BlackBerry ID??? I want to sign out to see if my installed third-party apps keep on working..
    12-03-18 02:04 PM
    I'm ashamed to ask this but how can I sign out with my BlackBerry ID??? I want to sign out to see if my installed third-party apps keep on working..
    Sorry MarteeNL--no way to sign out once signed in on a BB10 device. The best way to test that sort of thing would be to back everything up (using Link preferably, or Sachesi if needed), then reload the device using an autoloader and restore the backup. You won't be signed in to your Blackberry ID but the apps will be there.
    12-03-18 05:42 PM
    Sorry MarteeNL--no way to sign out once signed in on a BB10 device. The best way to test that sort of thing would be to back everything up (using Link preferably, or Sachesi if needed), then reload the device using an autoloader and restore the backup. You won't be signed in to your Blackberry ID but the apps will be there.
    You can't restore a backup without a BBID.
    12-03-18 05:45 PM
    You can't.
    12-03-18 05:45 PM
    You can't restore a backup without a BBID.
    That is inaccurate; you can restore a backup made with a Blackberry ID without signing into the same Blackberry ID on your device, so long as you remain signed in to Link with that ID. Since MarteeNL is concerned with testing apps without being signed into a BBID on the device, this would work for them.
    12-03-18 05:48 PM
    That is inaccurate; you can restore a backup made with a Blackberry ID without signing into the same Blackberry ID on your device, so long as you remain signed in to Link with that ID. Since MarteeNL is concerned with testing apps without being signed into a BBID on the device, this would work for them.
    Although I've never tried that, it would be a MAJOR security vulnerability if that were allowed to happen.

You're telling me I could just walk around a government office, find a computer signed into Link, and restore a backup on my virgin BB10 device?
    12-03-18 05:50 PM
241 ... 23456 ...