Not quite sure I understand this - are you saying it's possible to backup/restore without BBID? As in, by using 3rd party softwares?

I was under the impression that if and when Blackberry decide to shutdown their BBID servers, it would be impossible to restore one's backup.

Thanks.
    You can use 3rd party backup programs that can backup SOME things.
    11-25-18 08:34 AM
    You can use 3rd party backup programs that can backup SOME things.
    Can you be more specific please?

As in, is it possible to backup/restore 3rd party apps (which were originally downloaded from BB World), without a BBID check?
    11-25-18 09:48 AM
    Can you be more specific please?

As in, is it possible to backup/restore 3rd party apps (which were originally downloaded from BB World), without a BBID check?
    It is not.
    11-25-18 09:50 AM
    It is not.
    Okay. Still hoping there will be a solution to this eventually. Otherwise if we ever wanted to refresh our BB, e.g. if it's slowing down or has crashed, etc... then we'd lose all our 3rd party apps.

E.g. I am able to backup/restore all my old apps on my Nokia, long after they shutdown Symbian.
    11-25-18 10:01 AM
    Okay. Still hoping there will be a solution to this eventually. Otherwise if we ever wanted to refresh our BB, e.g. if it's slowing down or has crashed, etc... then we'd lose all our 3rd party apps.

E.g. I am able to backup/restore all my old apps on my Nokia, long after they shutdown Symbian.
    If there are a few apps that you think you really need, I would try to contact the developers now. Although, it's unlikely that they are still around.
    11-25-18 10:04 AM
    The one and only BB10 app not included in the OS image that I can't easily live without a is Connect to OneDrive from Blackberry. What are the chances BlackBerry will make that available outside of BlackBerry World or inside a final OS Build?

No need to answer.
    11-27-18 04:49 PM
    The one and only BB10 app not included in the OS image that I can't easily live without a is Connect to OneDrive from Blackberry. What are the chances BlackBerry will make that available outside of BlackBerry World or inside a final OS Build?

No need to answer.
    Not that it really matters now, but I wonder why it was that they didn't include it as they did DropBox and Box? Weird?
    11-27-18 05:51 PM
    Not that it really matters now, but I wonder why it was that they didn't include it as they did DropBox and Box? Weird?
    It was released more than a year after the launch of BB10, if I recall, and by then they had a partnership with Amazon and weren't pushing BlackBerry Native apps.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-27-18 08:05 PM
    It was released more than a year after the launch of BB10, if I recall, and by then they had a partnership with Amazon and weren't pushing BlackBerry Native apps.

Ahh, did not know that--still they had plenty of OS updates to stick that app in but maybe it's much more complicated than I would think.
    11-27-18 08:13 PM
    Ahh, did not know that--still they had plenty of OS updates to stick that app in but maybe it's much more complicated than I would think.
    Honestly, I don't think anyone at BlackBerry cared about doing anything for BB10 that they weren't contractually obligated to do by mid 2014.

11-27-18 08:20 PM
    Honestly, I don't think anyone at BlackBerry cared about doing anything for BB10 that they weren't contractually obligated to do by mid 2014.

That’s being generous. After Chen was hired, I treated everyday as miracle. Those were the roller coaster days.
    11-27-18 09:31 PM
    That’s being generous. After Chen was hired, I treated everyday as miracle. Those were the roller coaster days.
    Really? You don't remember Chen going on CNBC and selling the Passport? You didn't think that they would update the OS after that? Miracle?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 12:10 AM
    Really? You don't remember Chen going on CNBC and selling the Passport? You didn't think that they would update the OS after that? Miracle?

Posted via CB10
    They had to sell what they had committed to.
    11-28-18 02:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    LOL. For me the miracle everyday was the company still existing. That company was able to liquidate nonessential assets to free up needed cash was big deal. Especially when it wasn’t at fire sale prices. I expected BB10 to go away immediately since it sucked compared to BBOS in regards to basic functionality. It wasn’t until 10.2.1 that it was on par feature-wise for me BlackBerry-wise.
    11-28-18 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Z3, Passport, Classic and Leap were all just attempts to see a return on the components they were already obligated to buy.

But BB10 development was done, beyond what they need to do to support those new devices. Did Chen make it seem like they were trying to turn around the smartphone business... of course he did. Doesn't mean he was really trying to do so.

Do think it's a Miracle that he got them to the point where they could release the Passport and other devices like the PRIV and now the licensing products. But that was done by gutting the hardware business cost of operations - software and hardware development, sales and support staff, buildings to support those thousands of workers that were let go... We got leaks of 10.3.1 way back in Spring of 2014, not much happened after that point.
    11-28-18 09:19 AM
    LOL. For me the miracle everyday was the company still existing. That company was able to liquidate nonessential assets to free up needed cash was big deal. Especially when it wasn’t at fire sale prices. I expected BB10 to go away immediately since it sucked compared to BBOS in regards to basic functionality. It wasn’t until 10.2.1 that it was on par feature-wise for me BlackBerry-wise.
    It is a miracle that still the BB stock sucks.... I check it everyday and I am wondering why it always sucks. I wish for stakeholders like you all the best, but I guess I you have to wait loooooooong time still!! and wishing something positive happens....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elfabio80; 11-28-18 at 12:45 PM.
    11-28-18 11:24 AM
    It is a miracle that still the BB title sucks.... I check it everyday and I am wondering why it always sucks. I wish for stakeholders like you all the best, but I guess I you have to wait loooooooong time still!! and wishing something positive happens....

Posted via CB10
    " BB title"?
    11-28-18 11:58 AM
    At that point it already had access to the billions in cash it's using now to buy up start ups so I think you were the only one amazed it still existed.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 12:21 PM
    At that point it already had access to the billions in cash it's using now to buy up start ups so I think you were the only one amazed it still existed.

Posted via CB10
    For the fiscal year ending March 1st 2014, BlackBerry lost four and a half billion dollars in the 3rd quarter, and another half billion in the fourth quarter.

Had they not started aggressively dumping hardware in the 4th quarter of that year, how long do you think their two billion dollars of cash reserves would have lasted?
    11-28-18 12:33 PM
    " BB title"?
    Oh my bad.... I meant stock.... Sorry, in Italian we call the stick “titolo”.... and I translated into “title”! Thank you for your note!!
    11-28-18 12:44 PM
    Keep in mind that much of BB's "cash" was tied up in purchase agreements. That's like someone who gets paid once a month, and gets $5,000 direct-deposited in their account. Sure, you've got 5 grand in the account, but that doesn't mean you still don't have bills to pay that month - mortgage, utilities, taxes, food, transportation, etc.

BB had commitments to buy hundreds of millions of parts, and payroll in the billions (until they started handing out pink slips like confetti), some of which they needed to keep long enough to turn those components into phones, sell them, and re-monetize that investment as much as possible. BB was still LOSING $100 on every phone they sold. That money came from somewhere too.
    11-28-18 02:16 PM
    No blackberry reset ?! But why ?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 03:56 PM
    It's true that no one (here) knows for sure, but we do know that BB10 phones are unique in their reliance on connections to BB servers for a number of key functions, including the restoring of a Link backup.

While BB10 users can certainly hope for the best, they should definitely plan for the worst. By that, I mean primarily that you should have all of your data backed up in open formats, because BB-specific formats may be useless and you can't extract data from them.

You should also make sure that you have backed up all data that is on encrypted storage (be that the phone's internal storage or an SD card) in an unencrypted format. (This is ALWAYS a requirement when using encryption.)

If your BB10 phone is your primary or only device, and being without your phone would be a problem, then you should prepare by having an alternative (non-BB10) device set up and ready to go.

It's not a question of IF you will have to stop using BB10, but when. In addition to BB-specific reasons, there are network reasons (refarming cell towers requiring different frequency bands) and hardware reasons (phones and/or batteries wearing out) that will affect different people at different times - and is already happening for some.

Use BB10 as long as it works for you, but be aware that the cell phone environment is in a constant state of change, and that works against products that are static - they get left behind for a variety of reasons.

Make sure your data will be accessible to you if your phone stops working (which could happen at any time) and make sure you have an alternative in case BB10 is suddenly no longer usable for you for whatever reason. If you have those two bases covered, then you won't need to have much anxiety about the eventual end of BB10.
    how do you back up a BB10 in another open format?
    11-28-18 04:46 PM
    how do you back up a BB10 in another open format?
    You can back up some things with Ultimate Backup.
    11-28-18 04:57 PM
    They had to sell what they had committed to.
    They had to sell the fiction that bb10 had a future.
    11-28-18 07:31 PM
241 12345 ...