Is BlackBerry a unix system, is this means it's same level of lenix, this means higher Level than android.
    I mean c language then unix then BB10
    But android c then unix then lenix then android

Posted via CB10
    Like Unix qnx is a POSIX system.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:21 PM
    I will rescue this old thread with a new question.
    Being BB10 a posix compatible system, it is supposed that many open source apps from linux/QT are theoretically easy to port.

In fact maemo5 and meego are also based in QT.

So, why there are so few linux apps ported to BB10?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-18 07:19 AM
    Windows also supports POSIX, how many Windows programs do you see ported to Linux?

For starters, you need to understand what you're talking about. In really really condensed format, POSIX just means that the basics functions of C are implemented across OS's. No more no less. It's a protocol written in the late 80s when there were dozens of competing unixes. Modern OS's are much larger than their Kernels. Linux is just a kernel. It takes a whole userland to be what it is. What you are probably referring to is GNU/Linux running on Xorg. You require many of these userland, libraries, and api to build a program in Linux.

Android is Linux, but it is not GNU and it does not have XOrg. You have to use Android APIs

OS X is POSIX, but it does not use GNU or Xorg (anymore). You have to use OSX APIs

QNX is POSIX, but it does not use GNU or Xorg. It uses QNX APIs.

BB10 in all likelihood uses a bastardized version of QT4. If they have implemented all the functions you ~might~ be able to port over simple QT4 programs to BB10. Any program that does stuff outside of QT4 or does something that BB didn't implement in their version of QT4, you will not be able to port without having to write a bunch of code to use native BB10 APIs, assuming BB10 has the APIs you need.

Anyhoo, it's not as easy as magically changing a compiler flag.
    02-06-18 11:56 AM
    BronzeBeard is quite correct. BB10 used Cascades which is an incompatible fork of Qt4. Qt5 has many changes that would have required either a complete rewrite of Cascades, supporting Cascades as an independent product, or a complete rewrite of the majority of application code.
    02-06-18 03:35 PM
    Very informative posts, question is answer

I just was thinking about the high number of good quality linux apps ported to Nokia Maemo devices time ago.

And asking myself how is possible that BB10 having a bigger community , also being a kind of unix/qt,
    Why bb10 didn't receive this number of ports from opensource software.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-18 06:20 AM
    Windows also supports POSIX, how many Windows programs do you see ported to Linux?

For starters, you need to understand what you're talking about. In really really condensed format, POSIX just means that the basics functions of C are implemented across OS's. No more no less. It's a protocol written in the late 80s when there were dozens of competing unixes. Modern OS's are much larger than their Kernels. Linux is just a kernel. It takes a whole userland to be what it is. What you are probably referring to is GNU/Linux running on Xorg. You require many of these userland, libraries, and api to build a program in Linux.

Android is Linux, but it is not GNU and it does not have XOrg. You have to use Android APIs

OS X is POSIX, but it does not use GNU or Xorg (anymore). You have to use OSX APIs

QNX is POSIX, but it does not use GNU or Xorg. It uses QNX APIs.

BB10 in all likelihood uses a bastardized version of QT4. If they have implemented all the functions you ~might~ be able to port over simple QT4 programs to BB10. Any program that does stuff outside of QT4 or does something that BB didn't implement in their version of QT4, you will not be able to port without having to write a bunch of code to use native BB10 APIs, assuming BB10 has the APIs you need.

Anyhoo, it's not as easy as magically changing a compiler flag.
    Porting a Qt 4 app to BB10 is possible. See the app Fahrplan: it uses a Qt 4, non-cascades interface on almost all platforms.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    02-07-18 11:10 AM
    Porting a Qt 4 app to BB10 is possible. See the app Fahrplan: it uses a Qt 4, non-cascades interface on almost all platforms.

This is true but it would not look or behave like a BB10 application..

A lot of applications that are often found on Linux were ported: the web browser is WebKit, OpenSSL, Python. I'm sure there were others. You just couldn't recompile a Gnome application and have it works. But that is true of iOS and Android.
    02-07-18 02:52 PM

I never said you couldn't port a QT4 program to BB10. In fact, I specifically said:

If they have implemented all the functions you ~might~ be able to port over simple QT4 programs to BB10. Any program that does stuff outside of QT4 or does something that BB didn't implement in their version of QT4, you will not be able to port without having to write a bunch of code to use native BB10 APIs, assuming BB10 has the APIs you need.
    QT is a collection of many different pieces, some of which may or may not be ported to BB10. https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html#qt-add-ons If BB10 has the 4.8 modules that your linux program uses, you can probably port the linux program to it. If it doesn't, then you're **** out of luck and will either have to implement it your self, use native API, or drop your idea.

Yes, you can point to a QT4 program and say you can port it to BB10. I can point to one and say no, you can't. For example, good luck porting KDE4 to BB10.

Not to mention, many complex programs aren't 100% QT. They generally have to do something in the userland, with X, or some other APIs.

So my opinions on the subject are still correct.
    02-07-18 05:03 PM
    I never said you couldn't port a QT4 program to BB10.
    And I never implied that you said so. I just gave an example of a pure Qt 4 app available for BB10, nothing more, nothing less. So it was like an extension of your post.
    So calm down, please.

02-07-18 05:15 PM
34 12