i just used an android device for the day that i have laying around that has 4gb of ram 64gb of storage along with this comes dreaded google the amount of permissions every app needs just to get used is just way over the top excessive, intrusive and just makes me darn uncomfortable using. theres just no reason for most apps to have to access everything in your personal data to to be used properly from reading and writing your sd card to knowing your location and the list goes on and on and to top it off im not nearly as efficient on android and i have been using androids and rooting and flashing roms for a very long time
    11-29-15 10:47 PM
    i just used an android device for the day that i have laying around that has 4gb of ram 64gb of storage along with this comes dreaded google the amount of permissions every app needs just to get used is just way over the top excessive, intrusive and just makes me darn uncomfortable using. theres just no reason for most apps to have to access everything in your personal data to to be used properly from reading and writing your sd card to knowing your location and the list goes on and on and to top it off im not nearly as efficient on android and i have been using androids and rooting and flashing roms for a very long time
    What app was looking to read your sd card? That doesn't automatically cause its requirements to be "excessive."
    11-29-15 11:47 PM
    What app was looking to read your sd card? That doesn't automatically cause its requirements to be "excessive."
    take this simple app for instance why does it need so much info for something so silly

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.flashlight
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-29-15 11:58 PM
    Stupid thread from an obvious troll. Just because you can't use your dang BB properly, doesn't mean other people is just as stupid, ya know.
    11-30-15 12:14 AM
    is the point of this post to just troll?

My device needs no occasional restarting and I have more than enough working apps, both native and Android, to carry on my day to day needs not limited to...

Speedometer error correction.
    VPN.
    Secure Email via Proton.
    Offline maps.
    Weather radar.
    Torrents.
    Cloud storage.
    Internet media.
    Media server.
    ROKU remote.
    General office functuons.

Posted via CB10
    The third from the top item on your list: Proton � did you find an app, or just access it through browser?
    11-30-15 12:22 AM
    I love the quality of my BlackBerry phones. I am finding that maps is starting to take me weird routes or can't find GPS and just gives up. Realistically I like my phone for music, emails, messaging and navigation and the z10/30 and until lately the passport, but alas maps as stated is kinda Bleh, and while yes Google maps runs, it's not seamless and can be buggy.

So in summary I don't mind that BlackBerry doesn't do anything crazy beyond communication but it should do it very very very well if that's all it is.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 12:46 AM
    I find my Passport works quite well. Fluid. Runs most Android apps just fine. If it could work well on Verizon it might be my main phone.

Of course running Android apps is not as smooth as a high end Android phone. What would you expect? I actually applaud BlackBerry for even making thinking Android apps possible at all.

I agree with you that BlackBerry 10 excels at messaging. Don't agree that that is all it does well.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-30-15 12:52 AM
    Accessed through the browser, which if I recall correctly, is the only way you can.
    11-30-15 01:00 AM
    take this simple app for instance why does it need so much info for something so silly

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.flashlight
    Don't use it. There are options.

Just saying that the flashlight permission thing is a bit overdone. Not excusing that particular app, but for the most part, I suspect some folks don't understand why specific permissions are needed.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-30-15 01:18 AM
    I agree. Apart from location to find out where app users originate, i cant fathom why flashlight apps need access to contacts, calendar etc.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-30-15 01:42 AM
    As much as I love my Blackberry 10 phone & enjoy bagging other operating systems, it pains me to admit that the only thing Blackberry 10 is good for is native messaging. Anything else & it's a painful device to use. It's clunky, laggy & often hangs which needs a restart to rectify.

Ported apps from Android are a farce. What's the point of giving us the ability of porting apps when they don't work properly.

Posted via CB10
    the only thing Blackberry 10 is good for is native messaging
    Couldn't disagree more. The ability to create/review/revise MS Office documents is excellent (having the huge screen on a Passport does help!), and I prefer the BB10 browser to the one on a Sony Android. As a smartphone OS for business productivity, I think BB10 beats Android and iOS hands down.

Ported apps from Android are a farce
    Not all - as the very few I use regularly all work pretty well (though some have the occasional 'display glitch'), eg Classic Words (it's like Scrabble), Skype, Bus London, UK Trains, WhatsApp, British Airways

And finally....
    Phone calls! My colleagues all agree (some of them somewhat reluctantly), that the call quality on my Passport (and on my Q10 before the Passport) is far superior in all aspects to the call quality they get on their iOS & Android devices. (I'm sure that this must be software related, and not just to do with hardware).
    CDot40 likes this.
    11-30-15 04:36 AM

And finally....
    Phone calls! My colleagues all agree (some of them somewhat reluctantly), that the call quality on my Passport (and on my Q10 before the Passport) is far superior in all aspects to the call quality they get on their iOS & Android devices. (I'm sure that this must be software related, and not just to do with hardware).
    That lost, forgotten use of a cell phone...
    CDot40 likes this.
    11-30-15 05:38 AM
    Not all - as the very few I use regularly all work pretty well (though some have the occasional 'display glitch'), eg Classic Words (it's like Scrabble), Skype, Bus London, UK Trains, WhatsApp, British Airways
    Hey BigAl, just curious but why are you using the Android version of WhatsApp over the native one?
    11-30-15 05:46 AM
    The only setback is they will not develop the existing software, otherwise it had always worked well!

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 06:34 AM
    Hey BigAl, just curious but why are you using the Android version of WhatsApp over the native one?
    I'd always assumed that the WhatsApp I use is a native app, but when I was showing it to somebody over the weekend (via the BlackBerry World app - long press on the app name, and then tap on View) I realised that it didn't have the 'Built for BlackBerry' logo... however it does have the 'BlackBerry Guardian' and 'Trend Micro' logos.

Have I misunderstood what is a native app or not?
    11-30-15 06:44 AM
    As much as I love my Blackberry 10 phone & enjoy bagging other operating systems, it pains me to admit that the only thing Blackberry 10 is good for is native messaging. Anything else & it's a painful device to use. It's clunky, laggy & often hangs which needs a restart to rectify.

Ported apps from Android are a farce. What's the point of giving us the ability of porting apps when they don't work properly.

Posted via CB10
    Your opinion seems a little rush, biased and an uncompleted evaluation, but at final the right phone for you it will alway depend s on your needs. Whenever you evaluate objectively a BB10 functionality, features, communication quality, security....etc against any other OS phone, you will find that the BB10 is not perfect and improvable even more, although is superior in the majority of aspects. My experience with the classic can't be more satisfying. It's secure, with high communication quality and efficiency, it has all the main and useful apps, not laggy at all, well built, perfect size.
    Now if you're a person who likes to have a millions apps to play with, no doubt, go to Android, by the way, that OS is indeed:
    fragmented, chaotic, unsecured, unreliable communication quality...etc , so you pick your pros/cons.

We live in weird times, that don't make sense at all. Now, People buy a phone cause: status, many apps to play, good camera and media...etc but the old reasons for a communication device seem forgotten, sad and crazy times, so if public wants B..s..., and there's money there, well, companies will give them that.
    CDot40 likes this.
    11-30-15 06:49 AM
    Probably, yeah. A native app isn't necessarily 'Built for BlackBerry'.

https://developer.blackberry.com/bui.../criteria.html

Via Pasta CB10
    11-30-15 06:53 AM
    I'd always assumed that the WhatsApp I use is a native app, but when I was showing it to somebody over the weekend (via the BlackBerry World app - long press on the app name, and then tap on View) I realised that it didn't have the 'Built for BlackBerry' logo... however it does have the 'BlackBerry Guardian' and 'Trend Micro' logos.

Actually, I think it's me who may have misunderstood. I assumed your list of Android apps were actual Android APKs that you sideloaded, rather than Android ports that can be downloaded straight from BBWorld.

I kinda forgot about that, since I never use the ports. If I'm going to use an Android app, I figured I might as well fetch the real thing and sideload it.
    11-30-15 06:59 AM
    I convinced a number of people to buy BlackBerry 10 and download BBM. I'm now thinking to myself, what have I done? This company cares more for its shareholders than their customers. That might have worked when they were the top dog but they are not anymore. The priv has 18 months max before they realize they won't be able to syphon off enough money to give to their shareholders. The Priv is dead.

As much as I have started to dislike Chen, I'm starting to hate myself more for giving this company Patronage and so much positive praise in my social circles over the years. I like BlackBerry 10 but I'm sincerely starting to hate the company.

Thank you and f'/-" you Chen, shareholders and board of directors. Stop hurting yourselves with your idiotic decisions. Have a freaking long term vision for once in the life of this company. Do the decent thing.

Remember when the PlayBook getting BlackBerry 10 was cancelled? I was fine with that. A lot of people weren't though. One of those people was my father who bought it with the knowledge that it was going to get the update. It didn't. He refused to get BlackBerry 10. How many other potential customers did you scare away? Bad faith?

Remember putting the for sale sign up after the release of the Q10? I do. I was upset but it didn't bother me too much at that time. I had faith in you guys. I had faith in the company. However, how many potential customers did you scare away with that move? You hurt your own investment. Whoever made that decision should have their name in the dictionary next to ID I OT.

Remember that time everyone who bought a z10 and a z30 wanted a new all touch z50 device? I do. What did you guys do instead? Release two niche devices that no one asked for. You guys thought the real reason your phones weren't selling was because they didn't have a track pad. I'm laughing at the absurdity. How many new potential customers did you scare away with that move? Might have convinced one OS 7 user to switch. I feel sorry for him. Poor guy doesn't know much about technology and only reason he bought it is because he hates change and his old phone had a battery issue.

When those people on OS 7 looked at the competition though, were they going to go for the new iPhone without a keyboard or go for more of the same with BlackBerry's offerings? Yet, again, a lost opportunity to sell to both established BlackBerry 10 customers and legacy users by not offering Z50 with BlackBerry 10. Would not even take many televised advertisement showing you're right up there with your competitors. Could have not made one acquisition of xyz company to cover the costs. But, no, even you guys don't believe in BlackBerry 10. You just want the company to look good in the event a potential buyers drives by the office. Everyone in this company wants to cash out for a quick buck.

But that was okay. I forgave you. You had a plan, I thought. However, you, again, hurt your own investment. Why spend the money in the first place if you are going to waste all the work you spent it on?

Remember you launched the priv running Android? I certainly do. That was the precise moment I quit forgiving. In fact, that was the moment I quit caring about you or your products. Now that you have successfully alienated every customer who has ever purchased a product from you and every developer who has developed for you, now you can get what you want. Close the device business how many people would be surprised at this policy?

Even one of your biggest fans here is having a hard time forgiving you. No wonder Crackberry Kevin dropped the Crackberry from his name. if I were smarter, I would have seen the writing on the wall sooner too.

Thank you and f##� you. You really do deserve it this time. May BlackBerry 10's fate be your future.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 07:01 AM
    Actually, I think it's me who may have misunderstood. I assumed your list of Android apps were actual Android APKs that you sideloaded, rather than Android ports that can be downloaded straight from BBWorld.

I kinda forgot about that, since I never use the ports. If I'm going to use an Android app, I figured I might as well fetch the real thing and sideload it.
    Gotcha! I've never sideloaded....

....however I have downloaded many apps, that I believe to be Android Apps, from both BBWorld and Amazon AppStore.
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 11-30-15 at 07:18 AM.
    11-30-15 07:04 AM
    I convinced a number of people to buy BlackBerry 10 and download BBM. I'm now thinking to myself, what have I done? This company cares more for its shareholders than their customers. That might have worked when they were the top dog but they are not anymore. The priv has 18 months max before they realize they won't be able to syphon off enough money to give to their shareholders. The Priv is dead.

As much as I have started to dislike Chen, I'm starting to hate myself more for giving this company Patronage and so much positive praise in my social circles over the years. I like BlackBerry 10 but I'm sincerely starting to hate the company.

Thank you and f'/-" you Chen, shareholders and board of directors. Stop hurting yourselves with your idiotic decisions. Have a freaking long term vision for once in the life of this company. Do the decent thing.

Remember when the PlayBook getting BlackBerry 10 was cancelled? I was fine with that. A lot of people weren't though. One of those people was my father who bought it with the knowledge that it was going to get the update. It didn't. He refused to get BlackBerry 10. How many other potential customers did you scare away? Bad faith?

Remember putting the for sale sign up after the release of the Q10? I do. I was upset but it didn't bother me too much at that time. I had faith in you guys. I had faith in the company. However, how many potential customers did you scare away with that move? You hurt your own investment. Whoever made that decision should have their name in the dictionary next to ID I OT.

Remember that time everyone who bought a z10 and a z30 wanted a new all touch z50 device? I do. What did you guys do instead? Release two niche devices that no one asked for. You guys thought the real reason your phones weren't selling was because they didn't have a track pad. I'm laughing at the absurdity. How many new potential customers did you scare away with that move? Might have convinced one OS 7 user to switch. I feel sorry for him. Poor guy doesn't know much about technology and only reason he bought it is because he hates change and his old phone had a battery issue.

When those people on OS 7 looked at the competition though, were they going to go for the new iPhone without a keyboard or go for more of the same with BlackBerry's offerings? Yet, again, a lost opportunity to sell to both established BlackBerry 10 customers and legacy users by not offering Z50 with BlackBerry 10. Would not even take many televised advertisement showing you're right up there with your competitors. Could have not made one acquisition of xyz company to cover the costs. But, no, even you guys don't believe in BlackBerry 10. You just want the company to look good in the event a potential buyers drives by the office. Everyone in this company wants to cash out for a quick buck.

But that was okay. I forgave you. You had a plan, I thought. However, you, again, hurt your own investment. Why spend the money in the first place if you are going to waste all the work you spent it on?

Remember you launched the priv running Android? I certainly do. That was the precise moment I quit forgiving. In fact, that was the moment I quit caring about you or your products. Now that you have successfully alienated every customer who has ever purchased a product from you and every developer who has developed for you, now you can get what you want. Close the device business how many people would be surprised at this policy?

Even one of your biggest fans here is having a hard time forgiving you. No wonder Crackberry Kevin dropped the Crackberry from his name. if I were smarter, I would have seen the writing on the wall sooner too.

Thank you and f##� you. You really do deserve it this time. May BlackBerry 10's fate be your future.

Posted via CB10
    I feel exactly the same. Thank you for being the voice.
    Love the BB10/BBOS but HATE the company.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    11-30-15 07:28 AM
    Last time I rebooted my Z30 probably was like 3 months ago... actually to be honest can't even remember.
    11-30-15 07:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Kevin actually suggested several years ago that BlackBerry go with Android to stay relevant. He is not just associated with CB but all of Mobile Nations.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 07:56 AM
    This company cares more for its shareholders than their customers.
    Cannot agree more. No customers, no future.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 08:49 AM
    Cannot agree more. No customers, no future.
    Exactly why it's trying Android. The BB10 customer base was inconsequential with regards to its main mission: increase shareholder value
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-30-15 09:23 AM
107 1234 ...