As much as I love my Blackberry 10 phone & enjoy bagging other operating systems, it pains me to admit that the only thing Blackberry 10 is good for is native messaging. Anything else & it's a painful device to use. It's clunky, laggy & often hangs which needs a restart to rectify.

Ported apps from Android are a farce. What's the point of giving us the ability of porting apps when they don't work properly.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp, murphcid and jmaxim917 like this.
    11-28-15 02:49 PM
    Sure.
    11-28-15 02:53 PM
    This was never my experience.

The OS has always been fluid and my android apps have all run sufficiently well.
    11-28-15 02:56 PM
    As much as I love my Blackberry 10 phone & enjoy bagging other operating systems, it pains me to admit that the only thing Blackberry 10 is good for is native messaging. Anything else & it's a painful device to use. It's clunky, laggy & often hangs which needs a restart to rectify.

Ported apps from Android are a farce. What's the point of giving us the ability of porting apps when they don't work properly.

Posted via CB10
    Oh really? Does a lot more than that for me and don't have problems with getting things other than messaging done. Maybe we can assist you in teaching you how to use it since you are having problems. Ask away.
    lift and koolaje like this.
    11-28-15 02:57 PM
    I understand that everyone's experience will be different and will depend on what's been installed on the phone. Take Kobo for example, this is an android ported application. It's been working fine for months, this morning when I started the app, all I got was a black screen and the phone started getting really warm. I closed the app n tried to start the Device Monitor to see what was happening with the cpu but this app wouldn't start either. Ended up restarting the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:05 PM
    I understand that everyone's experience will be different and will depend on what's been installed on the phone. Take Kobo for example, this is an android ported application. It's been working fine for months, this morning when I started the app, all I got was a black screen and the phone started getting really warm. I closed the app n tried to start the Device Monitor to see what was happening with the cpu but this app wouldn't start either. Ended up restarting the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Just used Kobo on my Z30 using the latest OS build. No problems. Next?
    BionicKris likes this.
    11-28-15 03:12 PM
    I think there are a lot of things that can cause some level of instability with BB10. It seems like the biggest issue is the Android runtime and some pretty bad memory leak problems. I definitely wish that BlackBerry would build in a purge function to clear the memory on demand without resetting the device. I think that would work in lieu of a reboot most of the time.

The purge command works great on Macs and Unix based OSes.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 likes this.
    11-28-15 03:50 PM
    I agree. Many of the core apps and functionality work great and need to be purged or flushed but like I said in my original comment, outside of messaging, not a whole lot going on for BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:58 PM
    I wouldn't say it's only good for messaging, the browser experience is pretty good for me,

What I will say is the user experience in certain areas can be improved, if BlackBerry wasn't going Android maybe we could have seen it grow... but what I've felt is that BlackBerry doesn't seem to be very good at UI/UX but only in certain areas, the beta zone for example (both website and phone app) could look and work much better ,

BBM could be simplified whilst at the same time adding key features that would improve the experience, at least they will still get some love as it's seen separate from the OS but channels for example hasn't seen a lot of love lately

What I've felt is as if BlackBerry's coders aren't efficiently minded, I think the code could be cleaned up a lot which would help with lag etc, but the process by which these issues were communicated back could also have been better, only in recent times did the beta zone really step up its game and now that's died down, if it has started like that, then a lot more might have been improved...

But anyway I don't imagine it's that simple, I'm still more satisfied with BlackBerry 10 than android/ios/windows as it currently stands, but without further development, I don't know how much longer that will last

Posted via CB10
    Flatman, bp2k7 and valer466 like this.
    11-28-15 06:18 PM
    I agree. Many of the core apps and functionality work great and need to be purged or flushed but like I said in my original comment, outside of messaging, not a whole lot going on for BlackBerry 10.
    is the point of this post to just troll?

My device needs no occasional restarting and I have more than enough working apps, both native and Android, to carry on my day to day needs not limited to...

Speedometer error correction.
    VPN.
    Secure Email via Proton.
    Offline maps.
    Weather radar.
    Torrents.
    Cloud storage.
    Internet media.
    Media server.
    ROKU remote.
    General office functuons.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 11:09 PM

The OS has always been fluid and my android apps have all run sufficiently well.
    Same here.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 12:57 AM

I was fully satisfied with BB10, it is the best OS. Also fully satisfied with my Z10.
    Andorid apps that I used is fully functional with the runtime.
    But I want a hardware upgrade. These days people change their phone also if their satisfied with their current phone...

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 03:24 AM
    This s the best os so far, I am doing everything, previously I was an android user.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    BionicKris likes this.
    11-29-15 03:39 AM
    This thread is BS

Posted via CB10
    lift and BionicKris like this.
    11-29-15 04:53 AM
    BB10 laggy? Of course /s

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    11-29-15 05:15 AM
    That post is a troll, don't feed the beast
    11-29-15 06:33 AM
    Thread is BS, never was my experience and I have tons of android apps on my passport SE

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    11-29-15 06:33 AM
    And there you have it.
    11-29-15 06:48 AM
    Totally agree thread should be shut.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 07:06 AM
    OP, what phone are you using? It seems those with slab phones have had much better experiences with Android apps than Q10 users like me. Not sure if it is older specs and/or screen size especially when compared to experiences of Z30 users.

In fact, I have given up on them. I was experiencing significant lag and battery drain. I always had to use Ghost Commander to shut them down else my battery would not last half a day. I also had many that just wouldn't work either.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 11-29-15 at 08:47 AM.
    11-29-15 07:38 AM
    I think there are a lot of things that can cause some level of instability with BB10. It seems like the biggest issue is the Android runtime and some pretty bad memory leak problems. I definitely wish that BlackBerry would build in a purge function to clear the memory on demand without resetting the device. I think that would work in lieu of a reboot most of the time.

The purge command works great on Macs and Unix based OSes.

Posted via CB10
    I don't run many Android applications, but I do use Kindle and Audible regularly and have never had a problem with memory leaks. The issue is probably with Android. I manage many Linux based systems at work and we occasionally find memory leaks in daemon processes. They have to be killed and restarted, which often can't be done without root, in which case a reboot is all you can do. Very much how you describe the runtime problem.

There are a lot of well written Linux and Android applications, but there are also a lot of poorly written ones as well. BB10 is quite a bit more aggressive at killing badly behaved applications than Android is. One of the problems with running Android applications on BB10 is that they run on the Android runtime not BB10 directly.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-29-15 09:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Oh because restarting a device has never happened... after 9 months lol.
    You ever used bbos? Iphone's? Android?
    11-29-15 11:41 AM
    A smartphone "only good at messaging"...does anyone else see the irony?

Posted via CB10
    Flatman, the1, Bluenoser63 and 1 others like this.
    11-29-15 01:36 PM
    BB10 is a great OS. Eco system is what is failing it.

Simple day to day apps like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc are lacking for BB10.

There are many that are still using OS7 on 9900's and if you ask them why many will say "I use email, messaging and phone" If that's all I used a mobile device for, I'd probably still be carrying around my Bold or Torch.

Users are evolving and need more. Now I don't care if I can't pay for my Starbucks using my phone but many do.

If BlackBerry had put billions into advertising, no one could say it would have failed. If it started to uptake in the market, maybe there could have been more developers for apps and we wouldn't be having these issues.

All I want is BlackBerry to get a team of devs together and fix the native apps for FB and Twitter Then ill be BB4Life.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    JG_Agustin and Blacklatino like this.
    11-29-15 01:47 PM
    Completely agree. BB got fat, lazy, complaisant, and arrogant that they were going to stay on top. BB decided that it would never need the "youth" or "Hipster" markets, and so did not develop a large app ecosystem since they were fixated on their government and business sales, and as a result never saw Apple or Google sneaking up on them with the steamrollers. My kids refer to BB as "Old people's phones" and they call them "boring", and useless because you cannot add the latest app or "bling out" your BB with a cool case. Also BB had (at least in my case) some serious QC issues where the two 9700's I had both died at six months when their keyboards just quit working. One I could understand, but two? I loved the phones, they did everything I wanted in a phone, and allowed me to be productive. I got my wife an iPhone 3GS as the same time, and it lasted a LOT longer, and was eventually given to her sister (who killed it, like she kills all her phones, OMG the stories I could tell...). I really wanted to stay with BB, but after two six months apart, I went to HTC and never looked back. I am hoping that the Priv will re-energize BB, and maybe allow them to combine the best of BB 10 with Android. But based on history, I fear it will not happen.

Posted via CB10
    jmaxim917 likes this.
    11-29-15 07:27 PM
107 123 ...