I don't know if this is only a problem in some countries in Europe but it's pretty annoying that there is no national roaming setting in BB10, don't you think?
    Virtual network providers (and we have a lot in Austria and neighboring countries) usually require the user to turn on roaming permanently or mobile data will not work at all.

It would be great if BlackBerry 10 added this option (just like Android or iOS) to allow national roaming permanently but still prompt for international roaming.
    Would make traveling or especially LIVING along the border less painful when having to worry about roaming charges all the time.

Please vote on ICanMakeItBetter if you're interested in this feature too
    10-07-14 08:22 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something here but the setting's there:

Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Data Services While Roaming > Prompt or On.

A clean handoff may be an issue with the carriers but certainly not with the device. Another possibility is that your carrier may have removed this option.
    10-07-14 10:13 AM
    Alopix is rigth. There is "Virtual Carrier" in Europe where you switch carrier automatically when in the same country. It's the thing he calls "National Roaming". So we have to enable Roaming to not have the warning.
    But, for the ones who lives at the border, it's tricky. Because this type of Roaming is "On" too.
    Never try it, but I bet you can use a tool like Profiler to enable/disable data via geolocation.
    10-07-14 10:37 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something here but the setting's there:

Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Data Services While Roaming > Prompt or On.

A clean handoff may be an issue with the carriers but certainly not with the device. Another possibility is that your carrier may have removed this option.
    Yes, you missed something
    It's National Roaming I'm taking about, which is not the same as International Roaming – the toggle you're referring to.
    10-07-14 10:51 AM
    It's not just for international roaming, it's for all roaming. I've used it to control data while roaming locally in Canada and the US as well internationally, specifically Europe (UK, France, Germany, Sweden).
    10-07-14 11:15 AM
    It's not just for international roaming, it's for all roaming. I've used it to control data while roaming locally in Canada and the US as well internationally, specifically Europe (UK, France, Germany, Sweden).
    You're right, the toggle is for roaming in general, but we need an option to differentiate between national and international roaming.
    National roaming ON with international roaming OFF means, using virtual carriers is possible but you don't have to worry about roaming outside your home country
    Wikipedia has an explanation if mine was not good enough.
    10-07-14 11:23 AM
    I understand this option would be nice for non corporate users since it matters to then but I also think that BlackBerry started paying less attention to non corporate users after the crash, I have a corporate plan from work and I have north American data from telus and that option would be unnecessary for most plans especially corporate ones

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:58 AM
    I understand this option would be nice for non corporate users since it matters to then but I also think that BlackBerry started paying less attention to non corporate users after the crash, I have a corporate plan from work and I have north American data from telus and that option would be unnecessary for most plans especially corporate ones
    Maybe for big corporations this option is not necessary. But for smaller companies this could definitely be an important issue.
    AndyYNWA likes this.
    10-07-14 12:01 PM
    most data plans in Canada are Canada wide not just local so I dont know how it is in other countries

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:05 PM
    I mean to day most data plans are nation wide not localy

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:06 PM
    I mean to day most data plans are nation wide not localy
    Not sure if I understand you and if this has to do with national roaming.
    National roaming just means that inside your home country (your SIM's country!) it is possible to roam (probably forced due to virtual carrier) in another carriers voice/data infrastructure.
    That's why a single roaming on/off toggle is not enough -> international roaming (the one where you leave your home country) does cost quite a lot but national roaming is usually free and as already explained, mandatory for certain carrier.
    10-07-14 12:10 PM
    Not sure if I understand you and if this has to do with national roaming.
    National roaming just means that inside your home country (your SIM's country!) it is possible to roam (probably forced due to virtual carrier) in another carriers voice/data infrastructure.
    That's why a single roaming on/off toggle is not enough -> international roaming (the one where you leave your home country) does cost quite a lot but national roaming is usually free and as already explained, mandatory for certain carrier.
    call your carrier and have roaming data disabled, most carriers have those features, I have that so when I go to Europe or somewhere I do not have access to data and they block it from their end

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:14 PM
    Would make traveling or especially LIVING along the border less painful when having to worry about roaming charges all the time.
    I knew BlackBerry phones had good coverage, but how are you getting coverage from another country when in Australia?

On to your original question, there is no solution. I am on a regional carrier (EastLink) on the east coast of Canada and I need to set the data on when roaming in order to get data when the phone is not connected to Eastlink, but one of their partners. The USA is a long way from me so it is not a problem.

We just moved to Eastlink from Rogers and my wife asked about what would happen when we crossed the boarder into the USA. I am not sure, but with Rogers, they would send you a warning text. In addition when traveling by road, the cell sites seem to be very directional, as we would loose Rogers at the border and go onto a US network. This was while waiting in line for customs on the US side.

In addition, if you do forget and get the warning text, they can usually apply a travel roaming package retroactively, as long as you call the same day it happens.
    10-07-14 12:21 PM
    call your carrier and have roaming data disabled, most carriers have those features, I have that so when I go to Europe or somewhere I do not have access to data and they block it from their end
    You still don't understand -> (national) roaming HAS to be enabled in order to use mobile data!
    Also, I want to be able to roam in other European countries if it's really necessary (especially when EU roaming charges are going to be eliminated in 1 or 2 years).

I knew BlackBerry phones had good coverage, but how are you getting coverage from another country when in Australia?

On to your original question, there is no solution. I am on a regional carrier (EastLink) on the east coast of Canada and I need to set the data on when roaming in order to get data when the phone is not connected to Eastlink, but one of their partners. The USA is a long way from me so it is not a problem.

We just moved to Eastlink from Rogers and my wife asked about what would happen when we crossed the boarder into the USA. I am not sure, but with Rogers, they would send you a warning text. In addition when traveling by road, the cell sites seem to be very directional, as we would loose Rogers at the border and go onto a US network. This was while waiting in line for customs on the US side.
    Austria, not Australia… it's in the center of Europe with way too many neighboring countries

Currently there is not solution on BB10 – that's why I posted the request
    Because I know there could be a solution as on Android and iOS this is already implemented. Would make live a lot simpler for a lot of people.
    10-07-14 12:26 PM