If I remember correctly RIM is going to use TomTom data set for maps just like Apple did for iOS 6 and we can all see the big mess that it has been.

Do you think is going to be any different than iOS 6 on BB10 since they will be using the same data set?
    09-29-12 01:30 PM
    Well, BB Traffic has been using TomTom maps and I don't think there are that many problems. Same thing with TomTom GPS (which I've used for 5+ years). I'm not sure what the heck Apple was doing with integrating data from TomTom. The flyover stuff isn't TomTom's (came from Apple's acquisitions), and so hopefully Maps on BB10 won't be such a mess.

I also hope that BB10 maps will borrow from maps on the QNX Car platform which looks pretty good.
    09-29-12 06:09 PM
    Apple has said the maps issue is on their end not TomToms
    09-29-12 06:14 PM
    In the Location Services session at BlackBerry Jam Americas, which covered some of the features of the new Maps capability, there was a representative from TomTom present.

When someone asked the inevitable question about iPhone 5 maps, she offered a response that made it clear none of the issues were related to the data TomTom provides, and in effect (as I recall) she said they didn't really understand what Apple had done to mess things up so badly, but it certainly wasn't an issue that would affect BlackBerry Maps merely because they were also using TomTom.
    greatwiseone likes this.
    09-29-12 07:31 PM
    In the Location Services session at BlackBerry Jam Americas, which covered some of the features of the new Maps capability, there was a representative from TomTom present.

When someone asked the inevitable question about iPhone 5 maps, she offered a response that made it clear none of the issues were related to the data TomTom provides, and in effect (as I recall) she said they didn't really understand what Apple had done to mess things up so badly, but it certainly wasn't an issue that would affect BlackBerry Maps merely because they were also using TomTom.
    For those of us who weren't able to attend (i.e. me), any interesting nuggets about the features of the new Maps?
    09-29-12 10:55 PM
    Well, if the maps sample application indicates anything, they're going to focus first on having quality data in the vicinity of Albany, NY.

peter9477, greatwiseone and kdna like this.
    09-30-12 01:47 AM
    For those of us who weren't able to attend (i.e. me), any interesting nuggets about the features of the new Maps?
    Honestly, there were too many cool things for me to keep track of, but not all are available through the APIs we have now, and not all will actually be available even at launch. Also the session focused more perhaps on the developer view of things (i.e. what we can do with the Map service in our own apps) than on the user experience (i.e. what the system map app will do).

I left with my head full of thoughts, but no notes, and mainly a general feeling that this will definitely not be another iPhone 5.

I'll need to listen to the session online again (when they're posted) before I could answer that question.
    greatwiseone likes this.
    09-30-12 08:58 AM
    The Bing Maps on the playbook works good. They've to add a navigation function to it
    09-30-12 11:27 AM
    Excellent, I'm glad they are not abandoning the BB Maps and look forward to enhanced features. Topo would be awesome and point to point nav without roads for boating and snow machining. I hope all my map favorites will transfer.
    10-01-12 11:45 AM
    Well, BB Traffic has been using TomTom maps and I don't think there are that many problems. Same thing with TomTom GPS (which I've used for 5+ years). I'm not sure what the heck Apple was doing with integrating data from TomTom. The flyover stuff isn't TomTom's (came from Apple's acquisitions), and so hopefully Maps on BB10 won't be such a mess.

I also hope that BB10 maps will borrow from maps on the QNX Car platform which looks pretty good.
    I do not use the bb map or traffic.

I still use the old gmap app, 4.x

After the iOS media Sh1tt storm I tested the BB maps a bit and OMG it is so bad. The maps missing so much information about streetnames...

I couldn't believe it how bad. BB maps is using also TomTom or Bing (not sure which)

Especially as TomTom Navis have good maps! Someting is really fishy here.

Tested in Germany.
    10-03-12 12:02 PM
    Voice directions would be nice too. Though I fear AT&T would block in order to boost their tele-nav service. Which works good, just not free.
    10-03-12 12:35 PM
    I do not use the bb map or traffic.

I still use the old gmap app, 4.x

After the iOS media Sh1tt storm I tested the BB maps a bit and OMG it is so bad. The maps missing so much information about streetnames...

I couldn't believe it how bad. BB maps is using also TomTom or Bing (not sure which)

Especially as TomTom Navis have good maps! Someting is really fishy here.

Tested in Germany.
    BB Maps on OS7 and previous devices is not TomTom data I believe, but something RIM did on its own. TomTom is used for the BB Traffic. The new BB Maps for BB10+ appears to be TomTom both from the look of and the press releases. Maybe RIM will update BB Maps for pre BB10 devices to use the TomTom data and maps, but I doubt it.
    10-03-12 01:20 PM
    BB Maps on OS7 and previous devices is not TomTom data I believe, but something RIM did on its own. TomTom is used for the BB Traffic. The new BB Maps for BB10+ appears to be TomTom both from the look of and the press releases. Maybe RIM will update BB Maps for pre BB10 devices to use the TomTom data and maps, but I doubt it.
    http://mashable.com/2011/05/03/bing-blackberry/

yes, its bing. Bing on maps and tomtom on traffic.

I checked both and at least in Germany both sucks really bad.

(Like I wrote, I was not sure if it also useing tomtom or bing for maps - it's bing)
    10-03-12 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD