What's the app? Can we use it to create more apps?

Posted via CB10
    It's Nobex Radio and no. Why on earth would you want to anyway when Nobex has one created for practically every station on earth already.
    07-27-17 12:40 PM
    It's not even worth discussion, IMO. There is no original thinking, new information or other news cited in the article. It could have written months ago.
    Pretty much. Whoever wrote this even stretched out the convo by trying to justify/reason a comeback for BB10, which hasn't been in play for a while now. Anyone still trying to push that notion is just looking to hear themselves talk.
    john_v likes this.
    07-27-17 12:41 PM
    Seeking Alpha: It's over!

I read this article as someone who is new to investing AND obviously interested in anything BlackBerry or I wouldn't still be hanging around here. This article actually made me dig deeper into what "Seeking Alpha" actually was, and now I dismiss most of their articles that I see come across as "news" because of the way that their content is created. It's all amateur stuff and credibility is not ever a given.

The ridiculousness of even mentioning BB10 in the debate of whether someone should or should not invest in BBRY very clearly shows how far the writer's finger is from the pulse of what is actually going on within the company.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-27-17 12:55 PM
    This article actually made me dig deeper into what "Seeking Alpha" actually was, and now I dismiss most of their articles that I see come across as "news" because of the way that their content is created. It's all amateur stuff and credibility is not ever a given.
    If only everyone who has spent time sending me SA stories and links could realize this lol.
    BigBadWulf and john_v like this.
    07-27-17 01:14 PM
    Under Chen, BB10 is over... (possibly not on his radar map). 5G on the horizon, anyone pick it (BB10) up do a full revemp of SDK, with USB C transfer speed >2Gbp std on its way and 5G test bed ready, sorry app guys, it might just in a different ball game. Apple wins permission to start testing 5G for future iPhones & other devices
    07-27-17 02:14 PM
    A BlackBerry 10 is dead thread. Quite a common sighting here. LOL! While the operating system is almost dead, it's still a pleasure for me to use.
    07-27-17 06:59 PM
    A BlackBerry 10 is dead thread. Quite a common sighting here. LOL! While the operating system is almost dead, it's still a pleasure for me to use.
    Yes, it is. We should not be discouraged from using it for work or pleasure as long as we like. There are plenty of enthusiast forums on the net for old tech. Belittling our favorite OS on a website dedicated to it makes no sense -- especially if Blackdroid has less life than our old tech BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-17 12:50 PM
    I don't think anyone has said "don't use BB10." Of COURSE if you enjoy it and it still works for you, then use it.

What people are responding to are the "BB10 is coming back" or "BB should spend $x millions of dollars to update BB10" or "Can't we get BB10 on the Priv/K1?" threads. People aren't bashing the OS, they're merely explaining why those things can't and won't happen. If the questions didn't get asked, no one would be responding.
    07-28-17 01:43 PM
    Agree with Troy.

One has to delineate between discussions involving ones preference for BB10 with discussions involving the business case for BB10.

I would also add that people tend to respond after inflammatory comments like "Android is stupid", "Android can't do this", or "only BB10 can do that".

It is only on extremely rare occasions that someone would just come in here cold turkey and slam BB10 users for no reason.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-28-17 02:19 PM
    People are always bashing BB10 and this ain't only from people who are on Android or Apple. I get that almost daily from people I know. U get comments like "they still make phones?" or "I thought they went bankrupt", "They have no apps". Etc. I just tell them my device does what it's suppose to do. Makes and receives calls, texting and sending emails work for me so I'm good. Then I get "do you get IG, Facebook, Snap Chat" etc. I don't do social media. People don't need to know what I'm doing, where I'm eating, where I'm at. I don't Tweet nor do I read tweets cause it does nothing for me. I don't wanna know that Kim K took another nude "selfie" cause that's just useless information. Apps are over rated so BB10 is just fine. Like I stated before, I'm at the bottom of the Black Sea on a sunken BlackBerry Ship swimming with the sharks and enjoying it down here so BB don't have to update a thing for me. They haven't done that in months so I can go another few more months. So to all y'all BB10 haters... WHATEVER! I like an OS that doesn't need annoying ads to to force me to buy their ad free apps either.

Da Reepah
    ppeters914 and anon(10218918) like this.
    07-28-17 03:30 PM
    @Kryngle, I agree with almost everything you said. If it works for you, all power to you.

The only thing I take exception to is your suggestion that social media is necessarily frivolous. Many people require it to do their jobs and get stuff done.
    07-28-17 03:43 PM
    It was over when they decided not to release any more BB10 OS phones.
    I would say it was over when after the Z10 returns at US carriers were unacceptably high, Verizon and AT&T told BlackBerry OK... You're done.
    07-28-17 04:34 PM
    I know Blackberry isn't interested in BB10 any longer but it would be interesting to see if there was any companies like TCL that may get curious about sporting a different OS. This could only happens if the world of apps changed in a way that allowed apps to be developed once and installed or used on any platform. I'm no developer and have no insight into apps but I do know that there are many ideas a float and everything must change cause it always does. We all know banks and businesses are about the bottom line and the world is constantly moving online so the need to develop app and update will always​ grow. I'm sure there is pressure out there to do this.

Of course it could not remain the same. There would have to be some changes made to data mine on BB11 in order for it to move forward

I'm not saying tomorrow or the next day but I hope it does happen in time for BB10 to be revived. Or should I say BB11?
    07-29-17 06:33 AM
    I know Blackberry isn't interested in BB10 any longer but it would be interesting to see if there was any companies like TCL that may get curious about sporting a different OS. This could only happens if the world of apps changed in a way that allowed apps to be developed once and installed or used on any platform. I'm no developer and have no insight into apps but I do know that there are many ideas a float and everything must change cause it always does. We all know banks and businesses are about the bottom line and the world is constantly moving online so the need to develop app and update will always​ grow. I'm sure there is pressure out there to do this.

Of course it could not remain the same. There would have to be some changes made to data mine on BB11 in order for it to move forward

I'm not saying tomorrow or the next day but I hope it does happen in time for BB10 to be revived. Or should I say BB11?
    BB10 has been available to licence since late 2013. No takers.

Developers are very happy supporting two apps that cover 99.9% of the global market. There is no impetus to change a thing.
    07-29-17 08:08 AM
    BB10 has been available to licence since late 2013. No takers.

Developers are very happy supporting two apps that cover 99.9% of the global market. There is no impetus to change a thing.
    We all kinds it's been available for licensing but I'm talking about in a new model of ecosystems where it could gain ground. We know that it's mostly the apps that killed it. (Hypothetical?)

I disagree. Companies are always looking to squeeze out savings and if they think they can push for only one app development costs they will. They weren't happy with three or four what makes you think they will just stop at two? It's the nature of the beast.
    07-29-17 08:21 AM
    They weren't happy with three or four what makes you think they will just stop at two? It's the nature of the beast.
    The two existing sets of SDKs are so feature rich and ingrained with the developer community that there is no drive to change.

All of the new infrastructure and development tools required for a third platform would require Apple and Google buy-in as well - another reason it won't happen.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-29-17 08:31 AM

If a manufacturer wanted to support a different OS they would probably just go to Windows or Tizen. Both platforms still have support from some major app developers and receive OS updates.
    07-29-17 09:23 AM
    If a manufacturer wanted to support a different OS they would probably just go to Windows or Tizen. Both platforms still have support from some major app developers and receive OS updates.
    True but would the cost be much less if they used BB10 and labeled it something else in my scenario?
    07-29-17 09:41 AM
    True but would the cost be much less if they used BB10 and labeled it something else in my scenario?
    I'm not sure about Tizen but I believe Windows Phone licensing is free, on top of that you also have Microsoft and Samsung handling development of their respective OS's, handling developer outreach, etc. For a hypothetical BB10 relaunch, you're essentially starting from scratch (bringing key developers back onboard, updating SDK's, supporting new hardware, etc) so someone would end up paying that cost.
    07-29-17 10:17 AM
    We all kinds it's been available for licensing but I'm talking about in a new model of ecosystems where it could gain ground. We know that it's mostly the apps that killed it. (Hypothetical?)

I disagree. Companies are always looking to squeeze out savings and if they think they can push for only one app development costs they will. They weren't happy with three or four what makes you think they will just stop at two? It's the nature of the beast.
    We already have options to write once and deploy to both platforms. Many of us have experimented with them. Users prefer the proper iOS and Android apps. The reason is that a proper native iOS app is highly optimized for that platform. And a proper Android app is highly optimized for Android.

In fact where I work we have gone to having two separate sets of teams, one for Android and one for iOS. That is expensive, as you say. However, we've measured the results and the results are more engaged users who therefore use our services more, call us less often. and visit our branches fewer times. That makes it a good decision.

Conversely, we had an HTML5 app in a test population and those users were less engaged, had more fraud (because of poor limitations in security with HTML5), and generally had a higher propensity to call us or visit a branch.

The economics and trade offs might have been different if there had been 4 mobile OSes. There aren't, there are actually only 2.
    07-29-17 11:00 AM
    From a developer or designer perspective, Windows would be preferred 3rd OS because the development tools are absolutely fantastic. Microsoft tools are still in many ways better than what we get from Apple and certainly better than we get from Google. Microsoft also has excellent sophisticated support for enterprise development.
    arfeo likes this.
    07-29-17 11:03 AM
    It ain't over till it's over, as Yogi Berra said ;-)
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-29-17 11:10 AM
    My Passport is very from being 'defunct'. What a twit.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.3), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.3.1463)
    07-29-17 01:33 PM
    Conversely, we had an HTML5 app in a test population and those users were less engaged, had more fraud (because of poor limitations in security with HTML5), and generally had a higher propensity to call us or visit a branch.
    I'm guessing that your team of HTML5 developers were immediately sacked then? :P

I do see it still as a future possibility. Google is still pushing into the progressive Web Apps and, in theory, it does make sense that the web should move that way. It would be kind of the next logical step and would likely blow the space wide open again - both of the web and the smartphone realms. The roadblock is probably that Android is still owned by Google so furthering web apps is only a small drop in a vast ocean of what Google is into.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Google busts out one of their future devices with an entirely new OS and, ironically, the one that finally decides apps aren't as necessary as everyone thought them to be.

What do they stand to gain from this? Well, probably more data because more developers using their tools. How do you get a bigger piece of the pie once it's already been cut? Make a new pie! That's thinking outside of the box and something that Google is very good at doing.
    iled likes this.
    07-30-17 02:46 PM
    I am still waiting for the awesome BB10 Os update v.10.3.4...

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 05:49 PM
59 123