Oh really? What's the better solution so we're able to demo the HUB without having a ton of personal info just thrown out at strangers?

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Hmmm, maybe remove your private information after you read it. That is what a smart person would do, what you would do is beyond me and it is not as if I care. If it is implemented, I pity the first person that comes crying here asking for a way to bypass it because they forgot their password. And you know they will.
    11-27-14 05:59 PM
    So if you want to demo your phone, how do you show the best feature of the BlackBerry hub then? I just trust my GF that she will not look into my phone. ;-) Eh I mean my "friend" or "kids".

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 06:43 PM
    Hmmm, maybe remove your private information after you read it. That is what a smart person would do, what you would do is beyond me and it is not as if I care. If it is implemented, I pity the first person that comes crying here asking for a way to bypass it because they forgot their password. And you know they will.
    First off, why would I delete every conversation? That's just stupid, the point of a phone is to store my info and messages..

And it's nice that you don't care. Guess what? I don't care that you don't care! It doesn't affect you, then leave this thread alone! It does affect me and many others who try to show the phone off or hand it quickly to a friend to show something, and we don't want the deepest parts of our lives shared with them.

Why wouldn't you just make it the same password as their normal password for the phone anyways...?

And at this point in your life if you can remember a simple 4-digit password, you've got bigger issues than a locked HUB

Kanishk Amin likes this.
    11-27-14 07:38 PM
    I can hear it now.

I locked my hub and now I forget my password. How can I bypass it?

To each their own I guess..............
    And then you think you are smart. Smart people know how to remember a simple password and a smart person will always appreciate a "limited application"(of course every feature in a phone has a "limited application" of its own) feature where without his personal life being exposed so easily, he can afford to give people his BlackBerry 10 when people really are curious about the phone. And just so you know, icons can be deleted, so if you think that phone lock feature is appropriate then I would want you to again think, cause that wouldn't allow your BlackBerry fans to check out your music playlist or new games without accidently checking out your conversations. And yeah, if you still don't get it or still don't want it then this thread ain't for you.

Blackberry 10 device.
    11-27-14 10:49 PM
    If your phone is filled with that sensitive of information that you have a problem sharing your device to show it off, it should be a sign that no one should be playing with your device.

If your worried about personal stuff, delete it before hand than.

Even better, put it into demo mode if you just need to show it off that badly

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0 // 2B6832B1
    Kris, you've got kids right? Do you ever get "Dad, can I play on your phone?" during car journeys etc? I always have to answer "no, sorry." because I don't want any emails or texts (not necessarily sensitive in nature, just work related and necessary) getting deleted. It would be nice to just not worry about it. Kid mode in Quick settings would be ok, doesn't really need a compulsory password.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-28-14 04:05 AM
    Kris, you've got kids right? Do you ever get "Dad, can I play on your phone?" during car journeys etc? I always have to answer "no, sorry." because I don't want any emails or texts (not necessarily sensitive in nature, just work related and necessary) getting deleted. It would be nice to just not worry about it. Kid mode in Quick settings would be ok, doesn't really need a compulsory password.

And what about your contacts, appointments or documents. If this is really a concern you have you can't really stop at the hub, and then you are replicating Balance.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 04:28 AM
    And what about your contacts, appointments or documents. If this is really a concern you have you can't really stop at the hub, and then you are replicating Balance.

Posted via CB10
    In order to delete from the contacts or calendar app, it's a more complicated procedure and is unlikely to happen by accident. With email triage in 10.3 however, a child could quite easily wreak havoc in just a few seconds.

11-28-14 06:54 AM
    In order to delete from the contacts or calendar app, it's a more complicated procedure and is unlikely to happen by accident. With email triage in 10.3 however, a child could quite easily wreak havoc in just a few seconds.

You are talking about a bored child during a car trip. The more often you use the phone to entertain them, the more complex actions they are going to engage in. The difference between being a user and asking for what you want, and being a developer/engineer responding the the request is the later is supposed to be aware of and take precautions against these risks for all the users who may engage the feature; not just the few who requested a limited feature and may be mindful of the limitations.
    11-28-14 09:19 AM

I actually have a spare phone (windows phone) that has a "kid mode" specific that I allow my daughter to play on. All that is accessible there is angry birds and a few other games and movies. I personally think WP has the best kids mode ever.

Daughter also has a old iPad to play with that's completely locked down. Never will my children get to use my personal device so I have no worries there.

On top of that, even with those devices for my child, she hardly gets to use them. I don't believe at 3 a child needs that much interaction with technology.

11-28-14 09:51 AM

Even more so, my own pocket reeks havoc on my emails and messages when i don't lock it before putting it in..

Honestly I've believed since the beginning of Triage mode (and I've voiced it to BlackBerry and ICanMakeItBetter) that Triage should be an optional feature. I personally hate it and constantly lose messages to mistaps on the screen

11-28-14 11:22 AM
    Even more so, my own pocket reeks havoc on my emails and messages when i don't lock it before putting it in..

Honestly I've believed since the beginning of Triage mode (and I've voiced it to BlackBerry and ICanMakeItBetter) that Triage should be an optional feature. I personally hate it and constantly lose messages to mistaps on the screen

Reasons like this and many more(stated by me in my earlier posts) really does support the fact of HUB lock feature. People won't regret having it and also using it for sure.

Blackberry 10 device.
    11-28-14 12:28 PM

If I remember correctly you can set the Triage options to none at least under the latest 10.3.1 leak.
    11-28-14 12:30 PM
    You are talking about a bored child during a car trip. The more often you use the phone to entertain them, the more complex actions they are going to engage in. The difference between being a user and asking for what you want, and being a developer/engineer responding the the request is the later is supposed to be aware of and take precautions against these risks for all the users who may engage the feature; not just the few who requested a limited feature and may be mindful of the limitations.
    Nevertheless, in BlackBerry world and Amazon app store there are a plethora of games aimed at pre teens. I take it that you find the risk of interference in correspondence in the hub by users of said games to be perfectly acceptable. Or are you suggesting those pieces of software should under no circumstances be used? Or are you saying that although we have parental controls for the browser and the phone app and the ability to toggle the cellular network on and off, that the same can't be done for the hub because it's too difficult?

11-28-14 01:01 PM
    I actually have a spare phone (windows phone) that has a "kid mode" specific that I allow my daughter to play on. All that is accessible there is angry birds and a few other games and movies. I personally think WP has the best kids mode ever.

Daughter also has a old iPad to play with that's completely locked down. Never will my children get to use my personal device so I have no worries there.

On top of that, even with those devices for my child, she hardly gets to use them. I don't believe at 3 a child needs that much interaction with technology.

You're right, WP has it so why not BlackBerry? I also don't allow the kids to use my phone, but some people do. I give the kids the PlayBook to muck about with but handy is handy and there is a need for this type of thing. Good to see you back on here.

11-28-14 01:09 PM
    Nevertheless, in BlackBerry world and Amazon app store there are a plethora of games aimed at pre teens. I take it that you find the risk of interference in correspondence in the hub by users of said games to be perfectly acceptable. Or are you suggesting those pieces of software should under no circumstances be used? Or are you saying that although we have parental controls for the browser and the phone app and the ability to toggle the cellular network on and off, that the same can't be done for the hub because it's too difficult?

Parental controls are designed to control the primary user who is a minor under the supervision of another. However some people do use those to prevent accidentally changing things.

You are suggesting that the HUB needs protection, but calendar and contacts do not. I believe you are mistaken. The complexity of the operation of the calendar, contacts, remember and others is not protection against exposure in the case of demonstration, or deletion in the case of entertainment for children. In my various stints in support I been asked to restore files deleted by children more times than I want to remember. Even very young children, lacking any fear of the consequences of there actions, but encouraged by feed back in the form of dialogs and system toast can learn complex sequences in fairly short order. Remember, they aren't setting out to delete stuff, may not even understand the concept, but are looking for stimulus of the visual feedback.

What is needed is a system of designating important data and storing it behind protection against random attack. Balance and a good password would do this and is already provided. A much better solution is to get the child a simple and inexpensive Android tablet, load it with those games from Amazon and not worry. Not worry about deleted files, gibberish calls to important people, or the phone going out the window. In my support role I could fix the first and last, but not the second.

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    11-28-14 08:22 PM
    I wonder what good putting Hub lock on Parental Control would be. By design parental control is meant to control who or what can contact your kids, not to prevent them from communicating altogether. Considering that Hub is merely collecting all the chat logs in one convenient place, locking Hub does not seem to fit parental control

I suggest to try BlackBerry Balance, I heard there's a cheap BES license for small business? If it's that important to you, perhaps you want to pay for that

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    11-29-14 03:44 AM
    I wonder what good putting Hub lock on Parental Control would be. By design parental control is meant to control who or what can contact your kids, not to prevent them from communicating altogether. Considering that Hub is merely collecting all the chat logs in one convenient place, locking Hub does not seem to fit parental control

I suggest to try BlackBerry Balance, I heard there's a cheap BES license for small business? If it's that important to you, perhaps you want to pay for that

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    No, parental control is parental control. It has larger parameters than your perceived definition. we can, at the touch of a toggle, block incoming calls, block all outgoing calls, turn off cellular network altogether or just data. It seems appropriate that we should be able to restrict access to the hub we so desired. Since Windows Phone has a kid mode, I can't think why BlackBerry should not.

As far as balance goes, it's not important to me and not worth paying for. My kids are grown so I'm just representing those parents with small kids. I've been there and done that.

I also think that if we were to restrict this conversation to parents only, the general consensus would be that some kind of simple hub access toggle would be a good idea.

Or perhaps set up different user accounts like I can on my desktop, One administrator and one guest or child profile. It's just something that would be handy, that's all.

11-29-14 04:50 AM
    No, parental control is parental control. It has larger parameters than your perceived definition. we can, at the touch of a toggle, block incoming calls, block all outgoing calls, turn off cellular network altogether or just data. It seems appropriate that we should be able to restrict access to the hub we so desired. Since Windows Phone has a kid mode, I can't think why BlackBerry should not.

As far as balance goes, it's not important to me and not worth paying for. My kids are grown so I'm just representing those parents with small kids. I've been there and done that.

I also think that if we were to restrict this conversation to parents only, the general consensus would be that some kind of simple hub access toggle would be a good idea.

Or perhaps set up different user accounts like I can on my desktop, One administrator and one guest or child profile. It's just something that would be handy, that's all.

From the WPH Kids Corner Setup website
    Kids love smartphones?but what if your child accidentally erases your phone or emails everyone in your address book while playing? No such worries with Kid's Corner, a place on your phone where your child can play with the games, apps, music, and videos you add there, but can't get to the rest of your stuff.
    So MS design engineers understand the full spectrum of risk.

As for why BlackBerry should or should not have the same features, I would suggest there are two major related reasons. First, MS can afford to put many more developers on their software than BlackBerry. They also afford to loose several times BlackBerry's total value on WP8. So they can afford to court many specialty market segments without worrying about how profitable each individual one might be.

BlackBerry, on the other hand must focus their efforts on a market where they will be profitable and be able to grow. They have chosen enterprise. BlackBerry Developers and executives recognized the need for work-life balance with the introduction of the PlayBook. I've talked with several who use Balance to play with their BlackBerry with their kids.

But ultimately BlackBerry is aiming at business users, thought many consumers will find a device built for business works for them. But if it comes to BlackBerry putting what resources they have to a Kids Corner or improving the business communications capability of the phone phone my vote is for the latter.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 07:27 AM
    I say, BlackBerry's parental control is more "My child has their own phone and I want to control it", Microsoft's parental control is more "My child likes to play with my phone and I want to control it"

Those are different paradigms. More options is always nice, but I wonder what is the difference between people accessing Hub and people opening the individual apps? Hub allows them to see more embarrassing conversations at once, but I don't think the amount is the problem here

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    11-29-14 07:44 AM
    I say, BlackBerry's parental control is more "My child has their own phone and I want to control it", Microsoft's parental control is more "My child likes to play with my phone and I want to control it"

Those are different paradigms. More options is always nice, but I wonder what is the difference between people accessing Hub and people opening the individual apps? Hub allows them to see more embarrassing conversations at once, but I don't think the amount is the problem here

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    Agreed with this whole explanation here. Parental Controls are not a suiting area for Hub lock to be a part of.

11-29-14 10:49 AM
    Parental controls are designed to control the primary user who is a minor under the supervision of another. However some people do use those to prevent accidentally changing things.

You are suggesting that the HUB needs protection, but calendar and contacts do not. I believe you are mistaken. The complexity of the operation of the calendar, contacts, remember and others is not protection against exposure in the case of demonstration, or deletion in the case of entertainment for children. In my various stints in support I been asked to restore files deleted by children more times than I want to remember. Even very young children, lacking any fear of the consequences of there actions, but encouraged by feed back in the form of dialogs and system toast can learn complex sequences in fairly short order. Remember, they aren't setting out to delete stuff, may not even understand the concept, but are looking for stimulus of the visual feedback.

What is needed is a system of designating important data and storing it behind protection against random attack. Balance and a good password would do this and is already provided. A much better solution is to get the child a simple and inexpensive Android tablet, load it with those games from Amazon and not worry. Not worry about deleted files, gibberish calls to important people, or the phone going out the window. In my support role I could fix the first and last, but not the second.

Posted via CB10
    I don't disagree with your statement that it would be nice to have it so that you could easily recover/make sure when you delete stuff, but that isn't the primary issue of this thread.

The issue is the HUB easily susceptible to kids, pockets, personal information unnecessarily revealed to strangers, etc.

We're not saying you need to use the lock, and we don't want to pay a monthly fee with a headache of support/etc. needed just to get BES running. I'd pay a one-time fee for the feature even, but there is no need for me to partition the phone up for BES just to get my HUB slightly less personal and/or deleting my personal messages accidentally.

There's a market for this stuff, whether you guys accept it or not, it's still there.

11-29-14 11:00 AM
    Blackberry does have a parental control feature. This thread is about HUB lock. Again, HUB is meant for easy access but its meant for easy access only when I am using it, not when my friend/s and family members wanna use for few minutes for say take a photo, play a game or use some app or simply just check the phone out by checking out app randomly and in that process (random checking) if they happen to swipe in the right direction, HUB is opened that exposes my conversations right in front of them. So I obviously wanna make sure that while my family or friends have a good time checking my phone out, they don't easily accidently access my conversations. Why can't I want that? I mean, it sounds so real and obviously something BlackBerry should have.

Blackberry 10 device.
    11-29-14 12:09 PM
    LOL!!!
    What a thread (and the comments)!

@OP
    I don't think BlackBerry has released the necessary apis etc for devs to make an app for locking the Hub. And quite frankly might never do so because it would be redundant.

Try to understand: even with the Hub locked everything except emails can be accessed from the home screen by a tap on the app icon.

Best two possible solutions for you:
    1. Before handing over the phone, set the Hub to notifications. Will be mostly empty/ without any personal stuff.
    2. If you have to hand out the phone too often: in Hub Settings > Management , set up the personal accounts to "Show in separate account only."

@ all others who are having their emails deleted accidentally by kids:
    - Don't disable two step deletion, and
    - Choose "delete only from hub" + "don't show again" in the pop up.

CB10 @ Q5
    11-29-14 12:33 PM
    LOL!!!
    What a thread (and the comments)!

@OP
    I don't think BlackBerry has released the necessary apis etc for devs to make an app for locking the Hub. And quite frankly might never do so because it would be redundant.

Try to understand: even with the Hub locked everything except emails can be accessed from the home screen by a tap on the app icon.

Best two possible solutions for you:
    1. Before handing over the phone, set the Hub to notifications. Will be mostly empty/ without any personal stuff.
    2. If you have to hand out the phone too often: in Hub Settings > Management , set up the personal accounts to "Show in separate account only."

@ all others who are having their emails deleted accidentally by kids:
    - Don't disable two step deletion, and
    - Choose "delete only from hub" + "don't show again" in the pop up.

CB10 @ Q5
    I agree, I also admit that it's not something I want urgently or can't live without it. But setting up the HUB on notifications is possible and should be done that way if I don't want accidental exposures of my conversations but that happens 9/10 times. I don't even want that 1 time and that's why I think that this feature can be great. About you mentioning that apps can be easily accessed even though HUB would be locked, of course I and other BlackBerry 10 uses know this, but you're not understanding. Not every person who checks out your phone might wanna check out your conversations. He/she really might just wanna check out the phone, but while doing so, HUB is opened and there goes my conversations and this I am talking about that 1 time out of 10 times. Your ideas are obvious and I am sure every person (in support of this idea) has tried and tested still, why even do such things? Rather just set up HUB lock and let others enjoy your phone for whatever reasons they want without them accidently accessing "your HUB".

Blackberry 10 device.
    11-29-14 01:16 PM
    I don't disagree with your statement that it would be nice to have it so that you could easily recover/make sure when you delete stuff, but that isn't the primary issue of this thread.

The issue is the HUB easily susceptible to kids, pockets, personal information unnecessarily revealed to strangers, etc.

We're not saying you need to use the lock, and we don't want to pay a monthly fee with a headache of support/etc. needed just to get BES running. I'd pay a one-time fee for the feature even, but there is no need for me to partition the phone up for BES just to get my HUB slightly less personal and/or deleting my personal messages accidentally.

There's a market for this stuff, whether you guys accept it or not, it's still there.

I know I wouldn't have to use it. But to have it available someone has to write the code, if doesn't write itself. Nor does BlackBerry have developers sitting around with nothing to do. It is a matter of priorities. Sure there is a market, but is it the most productive market to put resources against? I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 02:46 PM
113 ... 2345