Hub Lock would be a great idea. I don't want gf1 swiping right and seeing messages from gf 3 and gf5.

The Hub is VERY easy to accidentally access.

Z30 STA 100-2
    Exactly.
    It's not about sensitive information, it's about the hub being so easily accessible just by swiping and it contains obviously private information, not sensitive but private.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:24 PM
    The entire phone contains private information, lock it if you want to keep others from seeing it.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:29 PM
    I would want an option to lock photos and videos. I know there's those encryption options but I don't want to have programs be moving **** around, not after neatly organizing it. Just an app lock option

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:36 PM
    Just for discussion, how about we have 2 passwords - one for full access and one limited. Limited access let us choose which app, hub, setting etc are available. I agree to OP that there are times when someone asks for your phone but you tend to hope that they don't access the hub.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    Abk92 likes this.
    11-22-14 09:52 PM
    Just for discussion, how about we have 2 passwords - one for full access and one limited. Limited access let us choose which app, hub, setting etc are available. I agree to OP that there are times when someone asks for your phone but you tend to hope that they don't access the hub.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    Exactly. Not sure why others seem so bothered by this idea. If you don't want to use it don't but no reason to keep features away of some may find it useful

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    11-22-14 09:55 PM
    You are absolutely correct. Let me know when you have the app developed and submitted to App World. I will buy it.
    +1 here, i think it'd be a great idea and easily worth $1 or $2!

Exactly. Not sure why others seem so bothered by this idea. If you don't want to use it don't but no reason to keep features away of some may find it useful

Posted via CB10
    Why so much hate, eh?

I know people think it's stupid, but sometimes I'm trying to demo this phone or show someone an awesome feature of BB10/the Passport, and i don't want them prying into my life in the process! It very much limits my ability to show off the phone!

Plus, it'd be yet another feature to show off!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-22-14 09:59 PM
    If your worried about accidental swipes, you could always set all items to be displayed in separate account only. But personally, a pw on the hub would be more of a delay than is really worth.

But I will shut for now, I have no vested interest and I for one can not see any benefit in doing this. Hope you get what you want. I'll be happy to get what I need.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 10:02 PM
    If your worried about accidental swipes, you could always set all items to be displayed in separate account only. But personally, a pw on the hub would be more of a delay than is really worth.

But I will shut for now, I have no vested interest and I for one can not see any benefit in doing this. Hope you get what you want. I'll be happy to get what I need.

Posted via CB10
    Not trying to pick a fight as i actually agree with you, the option could be annoying! That's why I think maybe say, long holding the "extra actions" icon at the top right of the hub that toggles 'Triage' mode could be the locker for the hub, or putting a "Lock HUB" in the overflow menu!

Could even use the same normal password that you use to lock the phone! Just so the other people can't just normally see your private stuff!

11-22-14 10:09 PM
    I would want an option to lock photos and videos. I know there's those encryption options but I don't want to have programs be moving **** around, not after neatly organizing it. Just an app lock option

Posted via CB10
    Exactly app lock feature is also something that we want.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 10:50 PM
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/53708895
    Isn't this what you want?
    Looks like a great app LOL

Posted via CB10
    Except it's a con and for some reason hasn't been removed..
    I'm honestly surprised there isn't a "report" feature in BlackBerry World!

That's really great. Thanks for sharing. It pretty much is everything what I wanted. Their description is similar to mine, why I needed this feature.

Posted via CB10
    Therefore, proceed with development sir!

11-22-14 11:02 PM
    I think it should just be in the same menu you get when you hold down the power key "lock" and next to it ""lock hub"

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    An application lock function won't secure all your photos and videos unless you lock all applications that can access photos and videos or if you are really paranoid all applications that have access to shared storage.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm may not be that they are bothered by the idea but that they understand how complex it would be to implement, and how difficult it will be for users to manage and actually protect their data without effectively locking the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:37 AM
    If you have sensitive data in your phone....don't hand it to someone.

And, a lock specific to the hub would only protect that. People could just as easily see what you're doing tomorrow and who you're meeting with with just one touch. They could see your opened or recently opened browser pages with just one touch. They could see the names of files, or even the files themselves with just one touch. They could see chats in other apps or who you follow on Twitter, etc. with just one touch. If you have a problem with someone seeing this, don't hand them your phone.

I completely understand why no one has taken the time to implement a feature just for the people who:
    A: want to hand their phone to someone for a minute because they are curious
    BUT..
    B: don't really trust that person to see what's on the phone's hub
    AND...
    C: are ONLY concerned about the hub privacy for that one minute of demo to a "friend" and not any other apps or data on the phone.

A subset of a subset of a subset.

And...dont' forget.....

D: how often are you actually handing your phone to a "friend" for this specific demo in which you only want to protect this specific area of the phone from that specific "friend"?
    11-23-14 08:51 AM

And, a lock specific to the hub would only protect that. People could just as easily see what you're doing tomorrow and who you're meeting with with just one touch. They could see your opened or recently opened browser pages with just one touch. They could see the names of files, or even the files themselves with just one touch. They could see chats in other apps or who you follow on Twitter, etc. with just one touch. If you have a problem with someone seeing this, don't hand them your phone.

I completely understand why no one has taken the time to implement a feature just for the people who:
    BUT..
    AND...
    C: are ONLY concerned about the hub privacy for that one minute of demo to a "friend" and not any other apps or data on the phone.

And...dont' forget.....

D: how often are you actually handing your phone to a "friend" for this specific demo in which you only want to protect this specific area of the phone from that specific "friend"?
    Quite often actually believe it or not (to answer your last question), from showing to to Professors and Students to random tenants at the building i live in, everyone is curious about my Passport or even my past Z10.

While yes, you're right that it wouldn't be foolproof, that wouldn't be the point of the app. The point of the app would be to lock the HUB so I'm not showing random strangers a fair portion of my life, while still being able to show it off.

Yes, they could force it open via BBM or something of the sort, that's not the idea of the app. If they managed to navigate through my folders and pry into my life, I'd have the time to stop them or redirect the demo back to features of the phone.

Plus it'd be nice to have piece of mind when handing it to a friend since they're not going to open apps willy-nilly but there'd be nothing stopping them from swiping into the HUB whether accidentally or not.

It's really not as stupid of an idea as you guys keep trying to make it out to be..

11-23-14 10:23 AM
    Quite often actually believe it or not (to answer your last question), from showing to to Professors and Students to random tenants at the building i live in, everyone is curious about my Passport or even my past Z10.

While yes, you're right that it wouldn't be foolproof, that wouldn't be the point of the app. The point of the app would be to lock the HUB so I'm not showing random strangers a fair portion of my life, while still being able to show it off.

Yes, they could force it open via BBM or something of the sort, that's not the idea of the app. If they managed to navigate through my folders and pry into my life, I'd have the time to stop them or redirect the demo back to features of the phone.

Plus it'd be nice to have piece of mind when handing it to a friend since they're not going to open apps willy-nilly but there'd be nothing stopping them from swiping into the HUB whether accidentally or not.

It's really not as stupid of an idea as you guys keep trying to make it out to be..

But isn't the hub a main feature of BlackBerry 10? So again everyone wants to lock down one of the strong points of the OS to not show it off?

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0 // 2B6832B1
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    11-23-14 10:38 AM
    Lollipop just introduced guest mode feature. Won't go into details of that but it's better to lock the hub than the whole device.

Posted via CB10
    Guest mode is already used by LG devices on kitkat. I dont know whats special with 5.0. Haha. Nothing new.

Posted using my awesome Z10STL100-2. 22. PHL.
    11-23-14 11:02 AM

BUT..
    AND...

And...dont' forget.....

I am not saying that people are curious to know about my private life. They sure are curious about the new BlackBerry devices and therefore everyone I meet they ask for it. They wanna check out and not necessarily they wanna check out my private texts or emails but just wanna have a look at the phone. But while doing so they accidently while swiping rightwards open up the hub thus my texts and emails are exposed in front of them. This has happened. So just to prevent this little thing, I think that a HUB lock feature won't be hurtful as an option.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 11:12 AM
    The hub is easily accessible, even if the person holding the phone doesn't care to look into it, they can accidentally open it with a simple swipe left.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 12:18 PM
    Feature already exists if you want it badly enough:

BlackBerry 10 HUB Lock-img_20141123_141800_edit.png

I don't get people who buy BlackBerry and then want half baked security or privacy measures.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 01:22 PM
    Feature already exists if you want it badly enough:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141123_141800_edit.png 
Views:	771 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	316408

I don't get people who buy BlackBerry and then want half baked security or privacy measures.

Posted via CB10
    1. Work space is only "confidentially" secure, and not all of us are on BES..
    If i had that option free, I'd move basically all of my stuff through the BES side and just one of my emails through normal Personal side..

2. It's not confidentiality that we care about, therefore it's not a half-baked idea..

We just want some basic privacy so that we don't have to worry about important personal things shown to others..

11-23-14 01:50 PM
    1. Work space is only "confidentially" secure, and not all of us are on BES..
    If i had that option free, I'd move basically all of my stuff through the BES side and just one of my emails through normal Personal side..

2. It's not confidentiality that we care about, therefore it's not a half-baked idea..

We just want some basic privacy so that we don't have to worry about important personal things shown to others..

You can't have privacy without confidentiality. By asking to keep the HUB private from people who are using the phone, you are asking for that data to be kept confidential from them.

My BES is free, has been since I got it. It won't always be free, but if I had to turn my phone over to someone else and didn't want them to see my data, nothing else would be good enough for me.

But now we see that you want someone to provide the feature at no cost to you. That's a pretty poor negotiating position. There are phones that have "guest mode" baked in, but they lack the features of BB10 that make it such a great personal communications device. This is not surprising to me. When Android first came out I thought it was going to be a great phone OS. But the security promise never came through, instead it has gimmicks.

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    11-23-14 05:19 PM
    well, or you can select hub to show notification only) or any other more or less unused section of hub, and while guest user swipes to left - he sees empty field.
    11-23-14 05:40 PM
    I am not saying that people are curious to know about my private life. They sure are curious about the new BlackBerry devices and therefore everyone I meet they ask for it. They wanna check out and not necessarily they wanna check out my private texts or emails but just wanna have a look at the phone. But while doing so they accidently while swiping rightwards open up the hub thus my texts and emails are exposed in front of them. This has happened. So just to prevent this little thing, I think that a HUB lock feature won't be hurtful as an option.

Posted via CB10
    So, what is the point of handing them the phone if they can't see it's best feature? If you don't want them to see the titles of your emails, etc......which is critical to the demo.....don't.... give..... them..... your..... phone.
    MikeyJSydney likes this.
    11-23-14 05:48 PM
    You can't have privacy without confidentiality. By asking to keep the HUB private from people who are using the phone, you are asking for that data to be kept confidential from them.

My BES is free, has been since I got it. It won't always be free, but if I had to turn my phone over to someone else and didn't want them to see my data, nothing else would be good enough for me.

But now we see that you want someone to provide the feature at no cost to you. That's a pretty poor negotiating position. There are phones that have "guest mode" baked in, but they lack the features of BB10 that make it such a great personal communications device. This is not surprising to me. When Android first came out I thought it was going to be a great phone OS. But the security promise never came through, instead it has gimmicks.

Posted via CB10
    No, you can have privacy without confidentiality.. i want to show them the phone and if they see a couple messages that won't be the end of the world to me or my company, but I'd rather have a bit of privacy if possible... and not make my messages blatantly obvious.

And i never said I wouldn't pay, because for an app like that i would!
    I just don't see it being worth the hassle of setting up an entire BES server just to get a little bit of privacy..

On the curious side since I'm bored and willing to tinker, how did you get that for free?

11-23-14 06:38 PM
113 1234 ...