Well, how about starting a thread or a blog about it? Maybe you can get enough people to write BlackBerry and convince them to update it.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    There are already many threads regarding the now useless Facebook app. Starting another one won't help. Blackberry hasn't listened so far, I highly doubt they will now.
    12-20-15 12:25 PM
    Is BlackBerry 10 now going to phase out?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Priv sold only OK the first three weeks, and now its sales are declining. The result is they can't afford staff to manage both OS's

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    12-20-15 01:29 PM
    I see them take BB10 to just high security only buyers and remove the runtime while pushing Droid to the masses

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 01:42 PM
    Daughter: Will I ever see BB10 now Daddy?
    Bob: Never Sweetheart, never in a million years.

Is BlackBerry 10 going to be phased out?-uzzsbv9feg1hcfex_o_night-court-first-appearance-bob-june-wheeler.jpg
    eggman1987 likes this.
    12-20-15 01:46 PM
    I see them take BB10 to just high security only buyers and remove the runtime while pushing Droid to the masses

Posted via CB10
    Very possible. That makes sense. BlackBerry 10 is not just about security. It's also very functional, and I'll add that devices will probably have to go up in price.

12-20-15 02:28 PM
    Yes it is possible that an update post 10.3.4 will come but Fernando and I were talking about worst case scenarios. IMO its not probable though.
    Were you trying to move the goalposts?

The false equivalence you invoke is a logical fallacy and a poor one at that.

If the company does not patch the vulnerability then yes, the device is vulnerable.
    OS X users have less to worry about in this area but Apple devices eventually do get left behind.
    Android devices including Nexus devices also get abandoned and much more quickly.
    The difference is, you can buy a new Android device and start the cycle again.
    The possibility of purchasing a new BB10 device is even more dubious than BB10 getting updated past 10.3.4.

Just about nobody doubts that there will be a next version of Android or OS X.
    Many doubt(for good reason) that there will be any BB10 version beyond 10.3.4.
    Do I really have to explain why people doubt that? Just say so and I will, in a separate message.

When would be a good time to talk about a version past 10.3.4?
    I think now is very good time to have that discussion.
    I expect BlackBerry thinks ~18 months from now is a good time to tell you... that nothing more is coming.
    I don't think we know what will happen in 18 months.

12-20-15 02:35 PM
    I don't think we know what will happen in 18 months.

So how can you possibly make the following claim?

At the very worst, it has 2 years left of life and I believe it will be a lot longer.
    Is there some reason I should ignore the incongruity of these statements?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-20-15 at 03:20 PM.
    12-20-15 02:41 PM
    Yes, product of BB10.
    12-20-15 02:53 PM
    It's a shame because I like BlackBerry and the OS but they are kicking it to the kerb.

Small things that could have done to keep the customers happy would include fixing the facebook app.

Or, if they didn't want to do that, give away facebook and twitter alternatives in their festive giveaway rather than a lot of junk I don't need.

Or, speak with facebook and get (pay) them to port the Android app across.

Game over for BlackBerry 10, and I am not buying a blackberry Android device from a manufacturer that doesn't care about their existing customers...
    PHughes likes this.
    12-20-15 03:23 PM
    So how can you possibly make the following claim?

Is there some reason I should ignore the incongruity of these statements?
    Within the next 2 years we will get more updates. This is a safe assumption based on what has already been announced.

When I said, " we don't know what is going to happen within the next 18 months " I meant we don't know to what extent BlackBerry 10 will be updated. Certainly it will not be killed within that time-frame.

12-20-15 09:57 PM
    All I'm reading here is a lot of speculation. Does anyone here actually know anything for sure, or are we all just grasping for floating debris to save ourselves from drowning?

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    anon(679606) likes this.
    12-20-15 10:07 PM
    BB 10 has a ten year lifespan. (2013 - 2023)

get settled in for the long ride
    12-20-15 10:16 PM
    Yes. All OSes are eventually phased out, like bb6.

'it all started with the  Priv...then the Vienna?'
    12-20-15 10:22 PM
    Within the next 2 years we will get more updates. This is a safe assumption based on what has already been announced.

When I said, " we don't know what is going to happen within the next 18 months " I meant we don't know to what extent BlackBerry 10 will be updated. Certainly it will not be killed within that time-frame.

Oops, my mistake.
    Gonna cut bait on this one.
    12-20-15 10:51 PM
    Unlikely in the immediate future. BlackBerry still supports bb7.

'it all started with the  Priv...then the Vienna?'
    12-20-15 10:57 PM
    Yes. Priv sold only OK the first three weeks, and now its sales are declining. The result is they can't afford staff to manage both OS's

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Considering it is only available in 5 or 6 countries, and may be limited in one or more of those countries (here in the States AT&T is the only carrier so far), sales should pick up once it becomes more widely available.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Even if BlackBerry can get the Priv to the same security standards as found on BB10 or BBOS there is still Google Services, which those in "high security" would not be cool with. So what is the solution? Offering containers such as those provided by Good or BES12/BlackBerry Enterprise apps? Android for Work? That still relies on GServices. Can you spoof GServices and if so would someone truly concerned with privacy/security trust that Google is actually allowing that to happen?

There are people and businesses out there who simply will not use Google Android, period. All BlackBerry has to do to keep them around is to patch this or that every once, offer the occasional app update (Hub, Calendar, Contacts, etc.), and maybe a new feature or two every so often. What they do not need to do is to fully revamp the OS once a year or build high-end flagships (although one would be nice).
    12-21-15 12:24 AM
    All BlackBerry has to do to keep them around is to patch this or that every once, offer the occasional app update (Hub, Calendar, Contacts, etc.), and maybe a new feature or two every so often. What they do not need to do is to fully revamp the OS once a year or build high-end flagships (although one would be nice).
    That sounds easy, but the Contact app has been broken for a couple of years already, and the FB app has been badly broken for months - and that was before the mass layoffs/transfers of BB10 devs. I think you underestimate the work involved, and overestimate BB's commitment to BB10. BB's track record certainly isn't strong in this regard.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    12-21-15 11:05 AM
    That sounds easy, but the Contact app has been broken for a couple of years already, and the FB app has been badly broken for months - and that was before the mass layoffs/transfers of BB10 devs. I think you underestimate the work involved, and overestimate BB's commitment to BB10. BB's track record certainly isn't strong in this regard.
    Project manager?
    12-21-15 11:22 AM
    If this does happen I think you will see a lot of reversion back to the way things were run in the days of BBOS 4 and 5. Most support for BES and Active Directory installations with limited attention to social media applications. Very security conscious corporations and government departments aren't usually interested in these services anyway. If they need them for some people they can use Android or iOS. Quite a few of these organisations have not moved past BBOS 7 yet.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Fernando Martin likes this.
    12-21-15 11:30 AM
    Sure, but the Contacts app is a pretty key piece of the phone, and they haven't fixed that over the last 2 years. What kind of priorities can they really have for BB10? But, yeah, whatever attention they do give to BB10 is almost certainly going to be focused on the needs of BES users, not consumers - in that much we absolutely agree.
    12-21-15 07:37 PM
    Sure, but the Contacts app is a pretty key piece of the phone, and they haven't fixed that over the last 2 years. What kind of priorities can they really have for BB10? But, yeah, whatever attention they do give to BB10 is almost certainly going to be focused on the needs of BES users, not consumers - in that much we absolutely agree.
    What is wrong with the contacts app? I haven't noticed anything myself.

12-22-15 08:08 AM
    I have not had any issues with the contacts application since the earliest uncontrolled linking, which has been fixed, at least for me. Nor have I seen any recent bug reports in their Jira server, thought I don't have time to look for bugs that I haven't experienced myself. Given their current attention to Android things may slow down, but every bug I've logged in Jira has been fixed.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-22-15 08:48 AM
    Considering it is only available in 5 or 6 countries, and may be limited in one or more of those countries (here in the States AT&T is the only carrier so far), sales should pick up once it becomes more widely available.

I agree. Even if BlackBerry can get the Priv to the same security standards as found on BB10 or BBOS there is still Google Services, which those in "high security" would not be cool with. So what is the solution? Offering containers such as those provided by Good or BES12/BlackBerry Enterprise apps? Android for Work? That still relies on GServices. Can you spoof GServices and if so would someone truly concerned with privacy/security trust that Google is actually allowing that to happen?

There are people and businesses out there who simply will not use Google Android, period. All BlackBerry has to do to keep them around is to patch this or that every once, offer the occasional app update (Hub, Calendar, Contacts, etc.), and maybe a new feature or two every so often. What they do not need to do is to fully revamp the OS once a year or build high-end flagships (although one would be nice).
    For me, and yes you can call me a dreamer, and I know I am just repeating myself here again , BlackBerry should try, at all costs, to maintain a dual OS strategy, development of hardware has been optimized a long time ago with the partnership with Foxconn, that already saves them a lot of money. They just need to focus in selling millions of Android devices to the mass market, release cheaper Android BlackBerry phones and keep BB10 as the most secure product for regulated industries and so on.... and finance the support and development of BB10...and get a few BB10 devices / one device next year. BlackBerry also need to show in public it's support of BB10, not those small little things.... Oh life......

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    12-22-15 10:16 AM
    For me, and yes you can call me a dreamer, and I know I am just repeating myself here again , BlackBerry should try, at all costs, to maintain a dual OS strategy, development of hardware has been optimized a long time ago with the partnership with Foxconn, that already saves them a lot of money. They just need to focus in selling millions of Android devices to the mass market, release cheaper Android BlackBerry phones and keep BB10 as the most secure product for regulated industries and so on.... and finance the support and development of BB10...and get a few BB10 devices / one device next year. BlackBerry also need to show in public it's support of BB10, not those small little things.... Oh life......

Posted via CB10
    I believe they are going with the dual OS strategy; for lack of better terms: BB10 for non-commercial deployment, Android on BlackBerry for commercial. I too think we will see at least one (and likely only one) new BB10 handset in 2016 but my guess is not until the end of the year. This phone however will not be top-of-the-line and most definitely will be built with "last year's tech" such as a Classic 2 or Leap 2 with 801s. It's looking we'll need to wait until MWC for any real clues.

As for Foxconn, not sure if that deal is working out as planned. My understanding is that BlackBerry was going to use Foxconn to not only produce handsets but to also design them as well. The Z3 was supposed to be the first phone to use this "service" but my understanding is that BlackBerry still utilized their own in-house industrial design team for that one. Maybe Foxconn laid out the internal design?
    12-22-15 12:11 PM
    I believe they are going with the dual OS strategy; for lack of better terms: BB10 for non-commercial deployment, Android on BlackBerry for commercial. I too think we will see at least one (and likely only one) new BB10 handset in 2016 but my guess is not until the end of the year. This phone however will not be top-of-the-line and most definitely will be built with "last year's tech" such as a Classic 2 or Leap 2 with 801s. It's looking we'll need to wait until MWC for any real clues.

As for Foxconn, not sure if that deal is working out as planned. My understanding is that BlackBerry was going to use Foxconn to not only produce handsets but to also design them as well. The Z3 was supposed to be the first phone to use this "service" but my understanding is that BlackBerry still utilized their own in-house industrial design team for that one. Maybe Foxconn laid out the internal design?
    I don't mind last year's tech if it's good tech. The PP's specs are plenty for most people so a new phone with similar specs would run just fine.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-23-15 01:27 AM
154 ... 4567