Fernando you are long on opinion and short on evidence.
    Can you back up your claims?
    I don't think the pessimists here about BlackBerry os have any evidence either as to the future of BlackBerry os. As I stated in a previous posts that it does not seem likely that the Os will be discontinued since Chen has already said that he plans on supporting it. Logically it is no going to be supported like ios or Android do to the sales numbers but you have no evidence at all that it will be killed. Take a look at the link below and read the first paragraph, a direct quote from Chen. So there you go. BlackBerry's commitment to BlackBerry os10 will remain strong.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...10-developers/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-19-15 09:20 AM
    Take a look at the link below and read the first paragraph, a direct quote from Chen. So there you go. BlackBerry's commitment to BlackBerry os10 will remain strong.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...10-developers/

You call that a strong commitment?

Nobody is coming that BB10 is about to be "killed", as in dropping all work on it. The claim is that it's only going to be minimally supported for the foreseeable future, just as OS 7 continued to be minimally supported after the launch of BB10. And that is where the evidence points.
    12-19-15 10:05 AM
    I don't think the pessimists here about BlackBerry os have any evidence either as to the future of BlackBerry os. As I stated in a previous posts that it does not seem likely that the Os will be discontinued since Chen has already said that he plans on supporting it. Logically it is no going to be supported like ios or Android do to the sales numbers but you have no evidence at all that it will be killed. Take a look at the link below and read the first paragraph, a direct quote from Chen. So there you go. BlackBerry's commitment to BlackBerry os10 will remain strong.

An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are both scheduled for 2016.
    Therefore the latest that 10.3.4 could be delivered is 2016-12-31.
    After that date a serious vulnerability could render your BB10 fairly useless.

So based on available evidence your device could be hamstrung in < 13 months, not the 2 years you are claiming for worst case.
    The evidence does not support your claim.
    12-19-15 11:37 AM
    BB10 is the superior os, I believe the android phones will be used to get that message out. We already know that a major opinion of Priv users is that it's not as fluid or as efficient as BB10 and we know that not even BlackBerry can secure android like BB10 at the moment, so I'm not worried right now about BB10 going away anytime soon. If it does I think it will only be when BlackBerry can closely mimic BB10's security and efficiency with Android ad that could be a couple of years down the road.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 12:00 PM
    Why not go with passport? Even if what the general assumptions here are about BlackBerry os10 become true, (and I doubt the they will) at the very worst you have at least a few years left of use it. Why the panic? If you like the Os just get a passport.

I'm not panicking. I know I can use the phone for years if I want, even if they stop all support right now. Unfortunately there are issues with their OS now that makes it less than ideal.

I'm not sure I want to invest any more in Blackberry, that's all. That being said, I haven't ditched it yet. My Z10 is working very well, especially since 10.3.2813 and now 10.3.2876. The lack of a decent Facebook app has made things difficult, since unfortunately, I have to use Facebook for business. I had to resort to using an older Android app for it, but it still isn't as good as using a native app. Blackberry's lack of BB10 development makes it hard for me to justify buying a new Blackberry. I will most likely get a new phone on a two year contract, mostly because it will help me keep a grandfathered unlimited data plan.They tried to change it recently and after a brief fight, I got it back. Locking in to a contract will prevent them from being able to, as for now I am month to month. I also don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on a phone that has no future development on the horizon.

I would be happy running Android apps, provided I don't need Google Play Services. Unfortunately, Blackberry won't be updating the Android Runtime as Android makes updates, as recently announce, so using Android apps in the future means there will be fewer apps that will be compatible.

Blackberry has broken many things, making the phone less usable for me. When I did use the native FB app, it brought in all my FB contacts, you used to be able to tell it not to. The last time I installed it, it brought in thousands of contacts anyway. This rendered my voice dialing useless, since it now had to search through thousands of contacts, many of which had duplicate names, different people, same name, and many had no phone numbers associated with the FB contact. You can turn off FB contacts in the contact app, but they are still used for some reason when trying to voice dial using the Assistant. You can't rename the contacts with duplicate names, because they are FB contacts, and that is how they are on FB. If you rename them, they will be either renamed by FB, or a new duplicate contact will be added by FB.

I also kept getting duplicate contacts. I have it set to only save to the account I sync to my computer, and not to Local. Unfortunately some updates duplicated my contacts. I have them sorted out now, but it is a pain to keep fixing what Blackberry screws up.

Blackberry has the best OS out there in my opinion. As a communication device, they are second to none. Unfortunately, they have dropped the ball.

I'm taking all this under advisement at the moment, but I am really saddened by Blackberry's actions. I know a company has to remain solvent, and I am hoping, based on the last quarterly report, and its positive news, that once they get on a solid financial footing, they will begin to once again develop for the platform. I don't see any signs of that intent though.

Their move to Android is troubling to me. Many chose Blackberry because they like privacy. Android is anything but. It is nice they developed an Android phone that offers security for companies needing ti use Android, but as far as privacy goes for the consumer, it doesn't offer that, since it included Google Play Services. Had they developed the phone, and continued developing BB10, that would have been great. As it is, there is no development currently with respect to apps. Yes, they are updating the OS, they have to do that, especially since many of the older versions broke various things.

I am not naive either, all you have to do is look on the forums of other mobile phone operating systems, to see how many issues there are with those. Still, if I can come up with an alternative for me, that suits my needs, and will be further developed, or simply offers me something more, then I may switch.

I have actually considered a Lumia 950, mainly because I don't like the way iOS makes it hard for you to save attachments, doesn't have a file manager, and has a very clunky interface. I also do not want Android. If I do, I might consider the Priv. I played with the Priv recently at a store. The first day I tried it, the Hub was horrific and didn't function well. The phone was also extremely sluggish. I went back the other day and picked it up again. What a difference. The Hub worked well, and the phone was very fast. They had updated it. It looks like a great phone now, and if it wasn't tied to Google, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It is a great phone for someone who likes Android. It is even almost enough to sway my opinion. Still, I hate the tracking.

The Lumia offers me one thing that none of the others do, you can use thumb drives with it, and with the Continuum hub, I could use it with a card reader, and an external hard drive. This means when I travel, I could leave my laptop at home. I generally use my laptop to archive images off of my camera. I do photography when I travel, which is usually weekly, and if I could simply transfer my images to a hard drive, using the phone, I could leave the laptop behind most of the time. The Lumia 950 has the disadvantage of being a Windows phone though, and there is no way to sync directly without using the cloud, which I don't use, and won't use. I am often in a place with very slow service, on a ship at sea, and need to sync, but don't, and often can't, use the internet to do so. A simply local USB sync option is the best, or a Bluetooth sync option as well. I used to sync via Bluetooth with BBos, but since going to BB10, that isn't an option. Still, I can use USB. I have found a work around for the Windows 10 phone, I have found apps that allow me to inmost and export contacts and the calendar. So I can "sync" using that. Which, by the way, is how I had to sync the Z10 with my Mac initially before Blackberry made the option available in Link.

So, I haven't left yet, and may not, and I may get a Passport, but I find it difficult to buy a product that isn't being developed, since I usually keep phones for a least two years. I have been using the Z10 since it came out.

I also prefer a removable battery, something the Passport doesn't have. Yes, I know it has good battery life, but most people don't travel to the places I do. Try flying to Papua New Guinea, and get to a hotel and find there is no way to plug in a charger, none, not that you don't have a adapter, but that there is no way to plug anything in. Or be on a ship with bad cell service, and have the battery drain quickly. Yes, you could go plug the Passport in on the ship, but they you would have to stay in your cabin. Or you could plug it in to a battery pack. That is clunky to hold while trying to use the phone. With the Z10 I can go days with extra batteries. On the ship, I can have a battery, or multiple batteries charging int eh cabin, and still use my phone easily. I hate phones with non-removable batteries.

I have specific needs, that many people don't have, consequently, my phone choices will be different. I don't expect people to understand, or even care. I love the Passport, it is extremely innovative and nice to use. I love the touch sensitive keyboard. Very nice. I don't really like typing on it because it it spread out a bit more than I like, but I know I would get used to it. I actually prefer typing in portrait mode on the Z10, typing in landscape mode hurts my hands.

So I am not panicking, I am simply looking and trying to choose replacement phone that will best meet my needs, and still be supported for a few years. Since the majority of the apps I have to use now are Android, and since, unfortunately, one I need for business is Facebook, I don't want to end up in a situation where my FB app will no longer do what I need it to do. And yes, I know I can use the mobile site, I have it on my home screen as an icon, but it doesn't give me notifications like the app does, and it isn't as fast.

Does all that clear things up? Please, continue to use your Blackberries, I am trying to do the same, and I don't want to stop. I may not, but I may have to. I just wish Blackberry would realize just how good what they made really is, and then develop for it. Until they do, people will continue to leave.
    12-19-15 12:05 PM
    @PHuhhes, in all my years on this forum, I have never come across such a long post in the forums. You serious deserve some sort of award lol

I read the first 3 paragraphs (thank goodness for paragraphs) but then I decided to scroll to see how long it was and I got cramp in my hand from scrolling so much lol

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    moderatefello likes this.
    12-19-15 12:47 PM
    Upgrading the current BB10 to support new security standards isn't really even a point release. It should just be a new build of 10.3.2, but if BlackBerry calling it 10.3.3 leads some people to believe there's substantial improvement, well, BlackBerry got what they wanted.

If BlackBerry wants to sell half a million more Priv devices at the maximum retail price, they should port BB10 to it. If BlackBerry is content to lower the SRP of the Priv from $700 USD to $550 USD to keep moving Android devices rather than spending a few 10s of millions of dollars to make $125 million in profit on BB10 Sliders that cost $700 USD retail, well, that doesn't make much sense.

Of course, if you don't think there are 500,000 BB10 enthusiasts worldwide who would love to get their hands on a 5.5" QHD device with the 808 GPU and slider form factor, well, we'll have to disagree. I think there are MORE than 500,000, and still believe that BlackBerry supporting both Android and BB10 in parallel would result in the same device hardware (running BB10 and Android, separately) would result in higher profits and more device sales.

Disagree if you want, but there's no proof either way, just another missed opportunity for the 'strategists' at BlackBerry.
    Agreed fully.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 12:51 PM
    @PHuhhes, in all my years on this forum, I have never come across such a long post in the forums. You serious deserve some sort of award lol

I read the first 3 paragraphs (thank goodness for paragraphs) but then I decided to scroll to see how long it was and I got cramp in my hand from scrolling so much lol

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    Lol Yeah, sorry about that. I just figured I'd try to cover all the bases so people wouldn't keep questioning my motives.

Carry on.

Sent using a very nicely working Z10 on OS.10.3.2876

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 01:59 PM
    You call that a strong commitment?

Nobody is coming that BB10 is about to be "killed", as in dropping all work on it. The claim is that it's only going to be minimally supported for the foreseeable future, just as OS 7 continued to be minimally supported after the launch of BB10. And that is where the evidence points.
    Chen used the word strong not me, first of all. There are a lot of people here who are saying that BlackBerry 10 will be phased out, as in killed. Blackberry has options as to the route they can take with the Os. For one, they increase the cost of new hardware to double or triple the price.

12-19-15 02:06 PM

An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

These statements need to be clarified: "Cascades – We currently support Qt 4.8 on BlackBerry 10. There are no plans to move to Qt 5.x."

And: "BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."

By "current release" it sounds as if he is talking about what is on the Android runtime now, not future versions of Android. As a matter of fact, we are already not on the current release of Android, so it would seem he is meaning, the runtime will remain as it is now, rendering future Android apps useless.
    12-19-15 02:07 PM

So based on available evidence your device could be hamstrung in < 13 months, not the 2 years you are claiming for worst case.
    Or it could not.

12-19-15 02:07 PM
    Chen used the word strong not me, first of all. There are a lot of people here who are saying that BlackBerry 10 will be phased out, as in killed. Blackberry has options as to the route they can take with the Os. For one, they increase the cost of new hardware to double or triple the price.

I don't think BB10 will be killed, I believe it will be supported in much the same way the old versions of BB have been. Occasional updates to the OS, but no real app development. We are actually seeing that now. Blackberry hasn't been releasing any new Facebook updates, and the only app updates they have released are for BBM.

I truly hope I am wrong. I also appreciate the fact Chen has to keep Blackberry a financially viable company. If that means not developing for BB10, then I guess that's the way it goes. I will be forced to go as well though, since I'm not interested in the Priv and Android. I'll never say never though. They have alluded to bringing the Priv out for BB10 though, but without app development, what the point?

They could win back the trust quickly for a lot of users by updating Facebook. I wouldn't use it if I didn't need it for business, but I do, and the current BB10 version no longer works.
    12-19-15 02:13 PM
    Or it could not.

You made a claim for worst case scenario and I rebutted it with evidence. Now you've gone to plan b. Way to go.
    12-19-15 02:18 PM
    You made a claim for worst case scenario and I rebutted it with evidence. Now you've gone to plan b. Way to go.
    There are many here that dispute the claims of the negative nannies. I would encourage you to stick with BlackBerry 10.

12-19-15 02:42 PM

They could win back the trust quickly for a lot of users by updating Facebook. I wouldn't use it if I didn't need it for business, but I do, and the current BB10 version no longer works.
    Well, how about starting a thread or a blog about it? Maybe you can get enough people to write BlackBerry and convince them to update it.

12-19-15 02:47 PM
    Fernando you are long on opinion and short on evidence.
    Can you back up your claims?
    There are many here that dispute the claims of the negative nannies. I would encourage you to stick with BlackBerry 10.
    And the answer is....... no.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-19-15 at 03:28 PM.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    12-19-15 02:53 PM

And who says that 10.3.5 or whatever version past 10.3.4 won't come in 2017? Just because they haven't announced it doesn't mean it won't come. Apple hasn't announced OS X 10.13 either, does that mean OS X will be rendered useless by a flaw in the upcoming 10.12? Google hasn't announced Android 9.0 yet, does that mean Android will be rendered useless by a flaw in the future 8.0?

There you have it, BlackBerry 10.x after 10.3.4 may come. Or it may not. But with so many months to go (at least 12 before 10.3.4!) it's way too early to talk about any version past 10.3.4

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-20-15 01:09 AM
    I think it's likely that BB10 will be phased out. But only BlackBerry knows for sure. There are still many use cases for BB10.

Maybe they've made a decision already but my opinion is they will wait 1 more quarter.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-20-15 01:27 AM

Where have you been? Oh, wait, you are correct. No one is claiming that BB10 will be killed. They believe it already has been.

Foreseeable future? Yeah, right. These are the same people who questioned if 10.3.3 or even 10.3.4 would actually be released. Seriously man, read these forums!
    12-20-15 01:50 AM
    Forumers getting riled up on BB10 maintenance updates. SMH.

*C5303
    12-20-15 02:45 AM
    I believe BBOS will be phased out first in terms of "end of support".
    And after that we will see what to do with BB10.
    12-20-15 04:02 AM
    And who says that 10.3.5 or whatever version past 10.3.4 won't come in 2017? Just because they haven't announced it doesn't mean it won't come.
    Even if what the general assumptions here are about BlackBerry os10 become true, (and I doubt the they will) at the very worst you have at least a few years left of use it.
    Yes it is possible that an update post 10.3.4 will come but Fernando and I were talking about worst case scenarios. IMO its not probable though.
    Were you trying to move the goalposts?

Apple hasn't announced OS X 10.13 either, does that mean OS X will be rendered useless by a flaw in the upcoming 10.12? Google hasn't announced Android 9.0 yet, does that mean Android will be rendered useless by a flaw in the future 8.0?
    The false equivalence you invoke is a logical fallacy and a poor one at that.

If the company does not patch the vulnerability then yes, the device is vulnerable.
    OS X users have less to worry about in this area but Apple devices eventually do get left behind.
    Android devices including Nexus devices also get abandoned and much more quickly.
    The difference is, you can buy a new Android device and start the cycle again.
    The possibility of purchasing a new BB10 device is even more dubious than BB10 getting updated past 10.3.4.

Just about nobody doubts that there will be a next version of Android or OS X.
    Many doubt(for good reason) that there will be any BB10 version beyond 10.3.4.
    Do I really have to explain why people doubt that? Just say so and I will, in a separate message.

There you have it, BlackBerry 10.x after 10.3.4 may come. Or it may not. But with so many months to go (at least 12 before 10.3.4!) it's way too early to talk about any version past 10.3.4
    When would be a good time to talk about a version past 10.3.4?
    I think now is very good time to have that discussion.
    I expect BlackBerry thinks ~18 months from now is a good time to tell you... that nothing more is coming.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-20-15 at 08:02 AM.
    12-20-15 07:24 AM
    I would like to say I find these debates from the uninformed to be fun to read, but really do no good at all.

First BB OS 10.3 is not going anywhere where fast. The operating system is still the ONLY one, approved by governments around the world for security.

The people who speak on the demise of BB OS 10.3 really need to grow up, if BB is going to survive as a hand set manufacture and supplier it will have to support both Android and OS 10.3, why you may ask? Because 10.3 is used by a very large group of professionals and Android is more for the casual user, let us not forget that one is approved for secure locations and one is not. BB has no expense to speak of to continue to support OS 10.3, as the heavy lifting has been accomplished in the past. In closing the bashing of OS 10.3 is silly and juvenile and serves no purpose whats so ever.

One last thought, BB is not going to walk away from the Corporate and Government markets to push a new OS. Only if the Priv/Android can be approved as secure as OS 10.3, and then approved by Government agencies and not public opinion will we see the dual OS from BB change.
    Your statement that BB10.3 is the only mobile OS approved by governments that is NOT entirely true.

USA government and UK have approved iOS/Android OS at many different levels, include the public sector at municipal and provincial/state level. Take a look at BlackBerry's own statements of where BES is supplied and ruling for governmental contracts.

I do agree, currently that BB10.3 is approved at the very HIGHEST level of USA government (as well as G20/7) governments across the globe though.

Pushing BES12, more*government certifications

One of those initiatives was*opening up the BlackBerry 10 operating system*to*enable*other mobile device management (MDM) companies to directly manage BlackBerry 10 devices. And more recently, Ho led in the development of BES12, which aims to streamline the management of all device platforms and deployment models like BYOD and COBO.
    In the US, Billy Ho also played a key role in working with Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) to secure Full Operational Capability (FOC) for BlackBerry 10 to run on US Department of Defense networks. The FOC designation builds on*BlackBerry�s �Authority to Operate� certification, and enables government users with a BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected with BES to securely access email, data, apps and other DoD network resources.
    Besides expediting BlackBerry�s FOC certification, Ho also achieved Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) approval from DISA for BlackBerry�s Secure Work Space for iOS and Android � a mobile data containerization feature that separates work and personal content on third-party smartphones and tablets.
    Source: http://www.mobilevillage.com/blackbe...ly-ho-profile/

Billy Ho is EVP of Enterprise Engineering at BlackBerry.

Anyone else find it weird when mentioning BES12 BlackBerry lists iOS and Android first and has since early this year?!

http://ca.blackberry.com/content/dam...rld-class.jpg/

вιaсĸвεггч� Z10 via CB10 (Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639) on BES12
    12-20-15 11:06 AM
    good point, I was talking highest level.
    12-20-15 11:28 AM
    Exactly. Have a look at this:

Smartphones shipped:
    Q4FY13 03/2013: ?
    Q1FY14 06/2013: ?
    Q2FY14 09/2013: 3.7 mio, ? ("Most of the units recognized are BlackBerry 7 devices")
    Q3FY14 12/2013: 1.9 mio, ? ("Most of the devices recognized in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 were BlackBerry 7 devices")
    Q4FY14 03/2014: 1.3 mio, ? ("Most devices recognized were BlackBerry 10 devices")
    Q1FY15 06/2014: 1.6 mio, 65% BB10 = 1.04 mio BB10 devices
    Q2FY15 09/2014: 2.1 mio, 68% BB10 = 1.43 mio BB10 devices
    Q3FY15 12/2014: 2.0 mio, 69% BB10 = 1.38 mio BB10 devices
    Q4FY15 03/2015: 1.3 mio, 66% BB10 = 0.86 mio BB10 devices
    Q1FY16 06/2015: 1.1 mio, 81% BB10 = 0.89 mio BB10 devices
    Q2FY16 09/2015: 0.8 mio, 85% BB10 = 0.68 mio BB10 devices
    Q3FY16 12/2016: 0.7 mio, ? (split BB7/BB10/Android unknown)

Every time the tried to hide something, the didn't give exact numbers. Not after BB10 launch which turned out to be a failure and not after Priv launch. Now count one and one.

THIS!!

For the next time some ***** claims BB10 did great under Thor Heins this should be the biggest B* smack upside the head to them! Only once did sales of B10 devices increase (Q2FY15) and that's mostly due to BES10 licensing beginning to increase at that time.

The argument could be made that corporations require BB10 based on their BES implementations, but that's completely wrong. BES also allows them to seamlessly transfer over to IOS/Android. Let's face it there are a LOT more applications and core system benefits that benefit massive Enterprises and business and the end users: financial apps. On si silently updated and supported, real estate, IT specific applications, investment applications and analysis, manufacturing and now even mining apps exist on both platforms although surprising small, including educational application (k12-university).

I learn more off of iTunes-U before TedTalks got big than on any other platform and many of those things I can use and soon apply in my professional or business life! Mathemagics, fantastic app only on iOS look it up - those older than 35 will remember the core basis of that app featured by a mathematician on late night TV great and useful stuff very powerful especially in the financial sector!

Please tell me what good is a very powerful Physical Keyboard on a Smartphone if you only can use so little with it?!

BlackBerry screwed up, not under Chen, but yes mostly under Thor - as his tema spent over a Million on a stupid Super Bowl ad in 2014, more on a marketing executive who did nothing but pour money to Alicia Keys (yes I stuck up for her until that iPhone pic on twitter), and did NOT properly advertise, recruit hearts and minds of developers for native apps = don't get me started by that Microsoft Trojan horse head of developer relation a-hole who championed Android developers to use BlackBerry App to convert apps 'with little to no effort' ... oh yeah is back working at Microsoft!

Just twelve hours ago I was dead set on buying a Passport Silver Edition - I may in 4mths just as a momento for nostalgic reasons, but with the weight of BlackBerry's partnerships to bolster BEs12 for cross platform support, and huge push for Priv announcing mid year midteir Android OS based secure phone, Enterprises, government and even consumers should really think 'other than a physical keybaord',

why should I invest in BlackBerry's hardware when it's running the Android ecosystem and platform and Android M will offer security control over what my applications do (ahem after installation)?! Should Android get beefed up security in the next revolution then where will BlackBerry's security mean then, on a hardware front?!

I love Canada, born raised and lived here all my life, I love what BlackBerry has done for waterloo community and Canada as a whole. I still think their relevant for mobile security, just not so much in hardware space. Don't tell me about To it of Trust and securing at the hardware level, do the research that I did - Samsung KNOX 2.x which was not licensed to Google has done this exact same thing with Galaxy S6/S6Edge and now the Note released this year! I've specifically posited my findings back in August I believe!!

I just think BlackBerry has reached the end of the hardware rope and should license their physical keyboard IP to other manufacturers!

PS: still itching to get a Passport Silver Edition as I've been so damn used to BB10 since the very beginning.

вιaсĸвεггч� Z10 via CB10 (Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639) on BES12
    PHughes likes this.
    12-20-15 11:42 AM
154 ... 34567