I do not ve this as true anymore. The browser is as bad Safari on iPhone 4S. OS10 is only good for day planning capabilities, document editing, playing music, emailing and texting these days
    06-12-16 02:59 PM
    I do not ve this as true anymore. The browser is as bad Safari on iPhone 4S. OS10 is only good for day planning capabilities, document editing, playing music, emailing and texting these days
    Word has it that the upcoming 10.3.3 update includes improvements to the native browser.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    06-12-16 04:48 PM
    Word has it that the upcoming 10.3.3 update includes improvements to the native browser.

I haven't noticed anything new.

Attachment 401997
    Last edited by conite; 06-12-16 at 05:19 PM.
    06-12-16 05:03 PM
    Zombie OS lives...
    06-12-16 05:05 PM

I never really noticed any major issues with the BB10 browser. It is excellent and I use it more than Safari on my iPhone 6....

What is the big deal?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-12-16 05:37 PM
    I bought my z30 a year ago for 200 bucks, used, and sold my z10 at a small loss (also bought used). Few months ago bought an LG android device, but still keeping the z30, there is not much point in selling it now, prices have been dropping a lot as it becomes clear the platform is dead, and besides i still like the hub and some apps (like fastTube) better on the blackberry. You may say that Palm devices soldiered on after the OS was abandoned, but for how long, and how many people actually used them? There are still curves and bolds being sold on ebay, some fetch quite a lot of money, but that doesn't mean OS6 and OS7 isn't dead.
    06-12-16 06:01 PM
    It is alive and well and living in the land where the Storms and the PlayBooks roam.
    JeepBB and experiment 626 like this.
    06-12-16 06:29 PM
    It's not dead since it's still around. Yes, it's a definite dying when BlackBerry announced that they won't make any new bb10 devices. They just prolonged the life as we still using it. Same thing that happened to bb7.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 06:44 PM
    So, BB10 devices won't be dead, they'll just cease being smartphones and become feature phones? That's great...
    No they'll obviously have more functions and apps that can still work, than what a feature phone would ever have, but just won't be as glamorous as say an iPhone 10S plus or something. For some people that'll be good enough, but many others of course prefer to chase new, hot, flashy, skinny, metal, glassy phones.
    06-12-16 08:12 PM
    May be only mr. Chen knows how can let die this. Thecnicaly it will be a good work to do something about devices with BB10, just a dream pending on a thumbs down of the Board. My opinion and my certainty.
    06-12-16 08:57 PM
    I could handle Facebook being deprecated.
    I could handle WhatsApp being deprecated.
    I could handle the Blackberry World Music store being deprecated.
    I could handle Flash being deprecated.
    But I need an updated web browser or this just isn't going to work.
    werner69, roleli and sirius27 like this.
    06-12-16 09:13 PM
    Perspective.

The OS:
    Presently it works so BB10 OS is alive
    Future it is dead.

The ecosystem: Apps and support:
    Presently: The BB10 ecosystem on life support. Never really developed
    Future: The BB10 ecosystem is dead.
    Last edited by roleli; 06-26-16 at 11:19 AM.
    06-12-16 09:32 PM
    After the information about blackberry supporting governements cracking communication, I decided it would be better to change to a OS used by more users. Better to use a encrypting messenger independently written by others. I'm not involved in anything illegal but I do not want to get tracked and profiled by government. So, rest in peace Blackberry, you were great in the past, are usefull in the present and you will be needless in the future.
    06-13-16 05:19 AM
    I will remind Chen's word about BB10 and Android : "Merge".
    Some read it "absorb", some "kill" but I like it the way it is; best of the two.
    There's no factual legs behind that but you know I'm a dreamer .
    When it comes to Android and the way it may evolve in the next couple of years, I really stand cautious (bc. I have no clue). BUT, The Cyanogen MOD (with MSFT deep pockets - One plus One style) initiative may be one of the possible paths that would offer to run Android without being tight to Google Services and products.
    Again, I do not pretend this is or will be a plausible solution, stil ... a possible solution for embbeding the very best of BB10 (and BlackBerry Services) into Android ...

[then, the alarm clock rings]

Food for thoughts : https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/11/...1-oneplus-one/
    The OS' latest version is "MOD ready," which means the manufacturer can tweak parts of the Android-based platform it couldn't before. In fact, version 13.1 already comes with the "mods" Cyanogen introduced in February, which mostly insert Microsoft features into various parts of the software. For instance, you can now make Skype calls straight from the device's Phone app and use OneNote to take notes within the Email and Phone applications.
    Bottom line : at the end of the day, it's all about commerce ... and going away from Google is far from being the simpler solution, even against meeting MSFT. AH ! idk, mash you brain by yourself !
    AcADIeN likes this.
    06-13-16 06:09 AM
    After the information about blackberry supporting governements cracking communication, I decided it would be better to change to a OS used by more users. Better to use a encrypting messenger independently written by others. I'm not involved in anything illegal but I do not want to get tracked and profiled by government. So, rest in peace Blackberry, you were great in the past, are usefull in the present and you will be needless in the future.
    Proper wording would be : "technically assisting lawful actions". But we'll ride OT in no time so ... maybe in another thread ?
    06-13-16 06:35 AM
    When it comes to Android and the way it may evolve in the next couple of years, I really stand cautious (bc. I have no clue). BUT, The Cyanogen MOD (with MSFT deep pockets - One plus One style) initiative may be one of the possible paths that would offer to run Android without being tight to Google Services and products.

Again, I do not pretend this is or will be a plausible solution

It's not:

They have just lost a lot of Execs because the business has failed to take off and they are burning through cash.

you need a sub for The Information but you get the idea from the lede:

C
    yanogen’s prospects for challenging Google’s domination of the Android mobile operating system are dimming.

Several senior managers have departed the high-profile Android software startup in recent weeks, as the firm struggles to show it can offer a differentiated version of Android of value to app developers. Google has updated Android to offer some features that were once unique to Cyanogen’s version.
    https://www.theinformation.com/execu...mid-challenges
    06-13-16 07:20 AM
    Sorry if unclear.
    What I meant with path is that it is a technical POC at least and a partnership with a) deep pockets and b) mobile expert(s) could either 'save' Cyanogen or raise another opportunity.
    But as noted, we're in the mid-term speculation zone ...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    eldogor likes this.
    06-13-16 09:46 AM
    "Is BlackBerry 10 dying?"
    The physical phones will remain functional for calls and texts for years onward though.
    Yeah, right - tell that to both my Z30s which admittedly as of today are still working, but the screen pops out on both of them due to the battery nearing its end of life (the MacBook Pro effect). I'll give them another year tops.
    06-13-16 12:55 PM
    I could handle Facebook being deprecated.
    I could handle WhatsApp being deprecated.
    I could handle the Blackberry World Music store being deprecated.
    I could handle Flash being deprecated.
    But I need an updated web browser or this just isn't going to work.
    That's why I'm hoping that Daan keeps updating Browsie! Because I don't have any hope of BlackBerry modernizing theirs any time soon.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-13-16 02:33 PM
    People have so many definitions of dead. For some people BB10 won't be dead until every single BB10 phone ever created has been recycled or buried in a landfill. Anything short of that means BB10 is alive. Like WebOS is alive. And Apple DOS is alive (mine still runs for example)

Maybe probabilities make more sense.

I think the probability that BB EOL's BB10 before Google EOL's Android is nearly 1. So close to 1 that it doesn't matter that it isn't exactly 1.

Same for the probability that BB10 is EOL'd before iOS is.

The probability that someone (anyone) makes a new phone running BB10 is negligible.
    I think that last one is the right one. If no one is going to make a new BB10 device, then you've pretty much doomed the OS. Granted there will always be people who will keep something alive for a hobby or because it's neat and retro, and heck, it might even be useful. I have a computer upstairs that runs CP/M off 8" floppies. It has a word processor and a daisywheel printer. Does it work and function as a computer and word processor? Sure. Is it dead? Yup. I'm guessing PalmOS phones still work as phones. But that OS is pretty much dead. So if BB isn't going to make new phones (and I don't blame them, although it's sad because OS10 is a very good OS) then it may not be dead today. But it will be soon. Meanwhile, use it and enjoy it. When it gets to the point it's impractical to use, do something else. Heck, there are many of us still using OS7! My Bold is my daily driver - in many ways better than newer phones. So don't obsess over it. It's just an OS and the phones are just hardware.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 06-13-16 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Brain fart
    Dave Liao, DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    06-13-16 04:50 PM
    Yup... sold my Passport while I could still get money for it. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now.
    06-13-16 06:27 PM
    With no new 'killer' device(s) beling released,....yes BB 10 will die. Blackberry will become another 'solutions' company,....like IBM! I dread the day of buying an iPhone.
    06-13-16 11:21 PM
    If the sale of Opera to the Chinese consortium Golden Brick Silk Road goes through, I wonder what the future of Opera is for OX10.
    06-14-16 01:42 AM
    With no new 'killer' device(s) beling released,....yes BB 10 will die. Blackberry will become another 'solutions' company,....like IBM! I dread the day of buying an iPhone.
    Iphones really aren't bad. The os is different, but the apple ecosystem is acutally nice if you can drink the koolaid.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 08:02 AM
    It's on life support by the loyal BlackBerry users...

Via-Blackberry Passport Silver Edition
    06-14-16 09:28 AM
148 ... 23456