Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Finally managed to install the Blackberry 10 device simulator. But when I press the power on button the "VMware" screen displays its logo, disappears and then it goes back to a plank screen. Any ideas?

I am running it on Windows 10
    Version of the simulator is BB10_3_2.281

...yes...I am leaving my run with BB10 a bit late, but my dislike for Android and iOS is so great I am prepared to explore work on my own home-server and apps to work around the hurdles in using BB10.
    mm2061 and moosbb like this.
    05-05-19 01:36 AM
    It's a four year old simulator.... That few are actively using.

VMware Player is how you need to run it on Windows... do you have that setup and working fully?
    05-06-19 08:46 AM
    ...yes...I am leaving my run with BB10 a bit late, but my dislike for Android and iOS is so great I am prepared to explore work on my own home-server and apps to work around the hurdles in using BB10.
    Don't hold your breath.
    05-06-19 09:24 AM
    It's a four year old simulator.... That few are actively using.

VMware Player is how you need to run it on Windows... do you have that setup and working fully?
    Yes, VMWare appears to work. How does one test if it’s working ‘fully’?
    05-06-19 09:29 AM
    Don't hold your breath.
    Hah!
    Nope, I intend to work on this little project in slow time in the background.
    05-06-19 09:31 AM
    Yes, VMWare appears to work. How does one test if it’s working ‘fully’?
    By using it with something that is known to work and is supported.
    georgeeipi likes this.
    05-06-19 09:50 AM
    By using it with something that is known to work and is supported.
    Good suggestion, thanks
    05-06-19 09:52 AM
    Any suggestions as to what might be a good machine to load on the VMware Workstation for the purposes of testing VMware?
    Last edited by georgeeipi; 05-07-19 at 07:44 AM. Reason: attempt to be clearer
    05-07-19 06:04 AM
    I have used VMware Workstation for years. Not a lot of experience with player. Older OS VMs can be tricky. Old VMs can also be a challenge. I believe VMware lets you know if a VM is no longer supported. I maybe wrong, been a long time since I tried an old VM. If I were to bet, I would guess the settings are wrong. Did the VM come with any configuration instructions?

Too bad TrumphetTiger has not been around lately. He has been really good at testing through incompatibilities.
    05-07-19 04:35 PM
    I just went into the Workstation to try and load a Windows operating system and it wanted 60GB of disk space--which I don't have. So I am wondering if I am actually short of disc space.
    05-08-19 12:28 AM
    I just went into the Workstation to try and load a Windows operating system and it wanted 60GB of disk space--which I don't have. So I am wondering if I am actually short of disc space.
    You may be for the virtual windows, but the simulator needs a lot less. Obviously, if you have 200mb left on your hard drive that might be a problem...
    I have used the simulator on linux, with the newest vmare not too long ago, so I think we can rule out the vmware incompatibility issue.

Don't you have any error messages? Vmware does create log files if I am not mistaken. Look them up!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-19 01:48 AM
    You may be for the virtual windows, but the simulator needs a lot less. Obviously, if you have 200mb left on your hard drive that might be a problem...
    I have used the simulator on linux, with the newest vmare not too long ago, so I think we can rule out the vmware incompatibility issue.

Don't you have any error messages? Vmware does create log files if I am not mistaken. Look them up!

Posted via CB10
    I hope you can see the jpeg of the device simulator running in VMWare Workstation.
    It appears to be running. When I press the Power On button the VMWare logo flashes up and then disappears. The State (at the bottom stays) stays at Powered Off.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry 10 Device Simulator BB10_3_2.281  "Power on this virtual machine" does not work-blackberry-10-device-simulator.jpg  
    05-08-19 06:42 AM
    I hope you can see the jpeg of the device simulator running in VMWare Workstation.
    It appears to be running. When I press the Power On button the VMWare logo flashes up and then disappears. The State (at the bottom stays) stays at Powered Off.
    There is an installation instruction and requirement list on the official bb site where you can get the simulator. Did you do everything according to that checklist?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-19 10:54 AM
    I know nothing about VMWare Workstation or Player....

But you do need to go into your BIOS and make sure that it's setup for Virtualization - think it is a CPU setting.

Read all the BB10 Device Simulator info... should be some requirements in there.

Then read up on VMWare Player (as that's what is suggested to run it).

Next I'd find a version of Windows and VMWare Player from the same time period and the Device Simulator....

But what are you really looking to accomplish?
    howarmat likes this.
    05-08-19 02:16 PM

But you do need to go into your BIOS and make sure that it's setup for Virtualization - think it is a CPU setting.

Read all the BB10 Device Simulator info... should be some requirements in there.

Next I'd find a version of Windows and VMWare Player from the same time period and the Device Simulator....

I wanted to use the simulator to write a few simple apps for the classic and passport. If I can't use the simulator I'll just plug my classic into the computer and upload the apps that way.
    05-09-19 06:52 AM

Blackberry 10 Device Simulator BB10_3_2.281  "Power on this virtual machine" does not work-blackberry-10-device-simulator-1.jpg

Hey Dunt Dunt Dunt….it works! Virtulization was disabled it. I enabled it and the simulator came to life!
    05-10-19 07:37 PM